Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Here is a pic of my wash n go. I used Camille Rose Coconut Water leave in and Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Gel using the rake and smooth technique because I didn't feel like shingling. The definition was on point but it made my hair look so thin. I picked my roots to the best of my ability. Hopefully it will get fluffier as the days go by. I feel so unattractive with my natural hair...I think I need to wear it out more often to get used to the way it looks. I'm so used to wigs. And my hair looks shorter now than it did pre wig times. It seems like I got alot of breakage. IDK what to do with my hair anymore.
IMG_8986_2_50.jpg

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
My hair is so short and thin. I picked out the roots which made it look better but its still a little of a shock because I'm used to wearing my wigs.
Ahhhhhh, I understand. Do you think time will help you get over the shock? Did you always have fine and/or low density hair?
I have fine, low-med density hair, with my Dad’s weak hairline; so, I used to have hair envy. It took time for me to accept my hair for what it is and isn’t.
I’m not saying this is your particular issue. I’m just providing perspective that hair-orexia (hair anorexia) exists and it’s okay.

faithVA

I diffused while I danced. That is a good combination and I will remember it for the next time I diffuse. Air drying for a few hours and then diffusing is definitely a win for me.

I have a lot of volume today, which I think came from all of the shaking. I like it so I think I will keep it. My hair is 90% dry and a little crunch which I'm good with.

My day 1 hair is working for me. I like the fuller afro shape. Now, let's see what day 2 hair looks like :look: I'm going to let her stay loose and sleep on a satin pillowcase to see if I can get good day 2 hair.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Here is a pic of my wash n go. I used Camille Rose Coconut Water leave in and Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Gel using the rake and smooth technique because I didn't feel like shingling. The definition was on point but it made my hair look so thin. I picked my roots to the best of my ability. Hopefully it will get fluffier as the days go by. I feel so unattractive with my natural hair...I think I need to wear it out more often to get used to the way it looks. I'm so used to wigs. And my hair looks shorter now than it did pre wig times. It seems like I got alot of breakage. IDK what to do with my hair anymore.
View attachment 478607

I got you! My hair does the same with heavier gels that provide great definition. 2nd and 3rd day hair is better, for the cast loosens a bit to create more volume. You got this! I think fluffing your hair is a good start for 1st day WNG.

GGsKin

@Napp Your hair is at an awkward length at the moment but I think your wng will look greater still with more volume, after some fluffing and jooshing (yes a real word lol). I can even see a lovely fluffed bantu knot-out style looking great at your current length.

I have sections of my hair that are thinner due to damage and my wash n go definitely doesn't look as full as it was so I understand your disappointment. Especially being reminded of the current condition after having it hidden away for a while. But growth takes time and the current length and condition is temporary. Your hair will look great in your eyes again.

GGsKin

I washed my hair today, after 12 days- 5 days late. By day 7, I'd put her up in a banana clip. She was soft but shrunken and a little tangled thanks to my fingers. I started last night, lightly detangling by smoothing and stretching my hair with some Faith in Nature conditioner and olive oil. Twisted up and left overnight.

I rinsed, and shampooed once with Olaplex no.4 before doing a treatment with 0 and 3. Left for 1hr, rinsed and shampooed again, smoothing and stretching. Used SSI Moisture to DC with shower steam.

For my wng, I used Miche Sculpting Curl Defining Gel and Jello Shot. I added more water after applying the Miche gel and that seemed to hold my hair better than my previous applications. I used Jello Shot to try and counteract the glycerin in the sculpting gel, and give a longer lasting hold. We'll see how that goes. I also added more water after applying. I diffused 90% dry and then wrapped up for bed.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ahhhhhh, I understand. Do you think time will help you get over the shock? Did you always have fine and/or low density hair?
I have fine, low-med density hair, with my Dad’s weak hairline; so, I used to have hair envy. It took time for me to accept my hair for what it is and isn’t.
I’m not saying this is your particular issue. I’m just providing perspective that hair-orexia (hair anorexia) exists and it’s okay.
I have fine med-low density too. It also seems to be getting thinner which is why I faithfully take my Viviscal supplements. My hair has been thinning ever since I put that keratin/botox treatment in about a year ago. I have breakage at the new growth all over my head.
@Napp Your hair is at an awkward length at the moment but I think your wng will look greater still with more volume, after some fluffing and jooshing (yes a real word lol). I can even see a lovely fluffed bantu knot-out style looking great at your current length.

I have sections of my hair that are thinner due to damage and my wash n go definitely doesn't look as full as it was so I understand your disappointment. Especially being reminded of the current condition after having it hidden away for a while. But growth takes time and the current length and condition is temporary. Your hair will look great in your eyes again.
Yeah I feel like I've been in the awkward phase forever. My hair has literally stayed the same length due to the breakage I'm experiencing. Its time for me to start taking better care of my hair too.

I hated the way my hair looked so I decided to re moisturize my hair with Alikay Naturals Dulce curl lotion and shingled my hair. I diffused until dry. My hair looks much better. Its fuller and slightly less defined and soft. I don't know how long this will last though. I doubt I'll get through the week.
IMG_9171_50.jpg

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@Napp your hair is so beautiful, but I understand how hard it is when you’re used to seeing yourself one way and then suddenly it changes. Your whole perspective is thrown off.

Why do you think you’re having breakage? Is it the wigs?
I had a keratin treatment done that my hair has been breaking from for some while. After taking down my wig braids after 6 weeks the breakage was massive. I lost alot of hair. I love wigs though but I don't know if I want to go back to them as a protective style.

toaster

I had a keratin treatment done that my hair has been breaking from for some while. After taking down my wig braids after 6 weeks the breakage was massive. I lost alot of hair. I love wigs though but I don't know if I want to go back to them as a protective style.
I know you mentioned you take viviscal, but my mom and sister have had great success with curlsmith hair vitamins and their day/night growth drops. I believe curlsmith is having a sale right now too. My sisters edges are growing in nicely, and my mom thinks her hair is more full.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I know you mentioned you take viviscal, but my mom and sister have had great success with curlsmith hair vitamins and their day/night growth drops. I believe curlsmith is having a sale right now too. My sisters edges are growing in nicely, and my mom thinks her hair is more full.
I was using scalp drops too but they are a bit tricky to use with wash n goed hair. How do they use it?

faithVA

Making my day 1 hair a bit crunchy seems to have helped with day 2 hair. I pinned my bang down and slept on a satin pillow case and my hair seems to have held up. I added water after the UFD and the Jellos Shot and I noticed that I have what looks like little frozen droplets of water on my hair. And this morning I have a grayish cast. I think I get that same look with I use a flax product. Next week I will add the water before the Jello Shot and see if that helps.

Going to try to repeat this wash and go this weekend. I've never been able to repeat a good wash and go :lol: I will keep the changes small like adding water before the Jello Shot and I will add more product to my bang which seems harder to define. I will also add just a smidge more of UFD to each section.

Since I didn't have to fluff so much maybe this gets me through Wednesday.

toaster

I was using scalp drops too but they are a bit tricky to use with wash n goed hair. How do they use it?
They just apply the drops to their scalp day and night. My mom wears a wash and go and it doesn’t impact her styling at all. She applies on wet or dry hair hair and you can’t see any curl frizz or reversion or anything. My guess is they don’t massage them in.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
They just apply the drops to their scalp day and night. My mom wears a wash and go and it doesn’t impact her styling at all. She applies on wet or dry hair hair and you can’t see any curl frizz or reversion or anything. My guess is they don’t massage them in.
I am going to try this! I have a few scalp drops already so this will be good that I can still use them up even though I'm not in braids. The middle of the front of my hair is my problem area along with a general lack of density everywhere else. I am just going to focus on my problem area for now.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I had the bright idea to do a WNG in the sink rather than the shower - because I didn't feel like getting undressed. Let me tell you: ABSOLUTE WRONG CHOICE. The way my 40+ year old back is set up... I won't be doing that again :lol:
I washed in the sink and I prefer it because I can deep condition with 2 different conditioners on the same day without hopping in and out of the shower.

oneastrocurlie

Random wash and go thought. I was about every 5 days counting day 1 as the day I wash. The 5 days between a Friday and a Tuesday feels shorter than the 5 days between a Monday and Friday.

My hair feels and looks like it's time to wash and I'm thinking dang didn't I just wash it. Nah. It's been 5 days so how my hair looks and feels is normal.

faithVA

Has anyone else used UFD under other gels than Ecoslay jello shot? I was thinking of trying it under the Alikay naturals lemongrass gel instead of going out and buying its leave in lol
I've used it under ICH and Aunt Jackie's. It should be good under most things.

Is the lemongrass gel the yellow one?

Have you tried using UFD by itself? I'm wondering if 2 gels is too much hold for you. OR If something like UFD and Innersense I Create Volume may be a good combination.

The alikay has a lot of oils in it. Since you want more volume it may be better as a topper.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So even though I just started getting back on the wash and go train I already want to push my previous limits. I figured out how to get a 7 day wash and go and now I want to shoot for a 14 day wash n go. I know if may sounds a bit ballsy but I think I can do it with Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Gel or Ecoslay Jello shot and refreshing the curls with my S-Curl No drip activator. I don't know if I should try my luck. My main reason for doing this is for low manipulation. I'm not scared of tangles because African Pride's Pre shampoo helps me get rid of shed hair before I wash which is crucial because I do not use any combs or brushes during my wash day. I think Ill try attempting this some time in February when I have some time off.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I've used it under ICH and Aunt Jackie's. It should be good under most things.

Is the lemongrass gel the yellow one?

Have you tried using UFD by itself? I'm wondering if 2 gels is too much hold for you. OR If something like UFD and Innersense I Create Volume may be a good combination.

The alikay has a lot of oils in it. Since you want more volume it may be better as a topper.

To be honest I've tried UFD alone in the past and didn't like it. It barely defined my curls and flaked on me but looking back it could have been the leave in I was using. But that was the old version as well. I bought a new bottle because that was how most of you seem to be using it with Ecoslay Jello Shot which is something on my to try list. And yes the Lemongrass gel is in the yellow container. I am looking for super hold which is why I was interested in trying them together.

faithVA

So even though I just started getting back on the wash and go train I already want to push my previous limits. I figured out how to get a 7 day wash and go and now I want to shoot for a 14 day wash n go. I know if may sounds a bit ballsy but I think I can do it with Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Gel or Ecoslay Jello shot and refreshing the curls with my S-Curl No drip activator. I don't know if I should try my luck. My main reason for doing this is for low manipulation. I'm not scared of tangles because African Pride's Pre shampoo helps me get rid of shed hair before I wash which is crucial because I do not use any combs or brushes during my wash day. I think Ill try attempting this some time in February when I have some time off.
Just my two cents, I found for thinning, keeping my scalp hydrated worked better than going long stints between cleansing. Even if my hair can last for a long period of time, my scalp feels and acts much better when I don't dehydrate it. Just something to think about.

faithVA

To be honest I've tried UFD alone in the past and didn't like it. It barely defined my curls and flaked on me but looking back it could have been the leave in I was using. But that was the old version as well. I bought a new bottle because that was how most of you seem to be using it with Ecoslay Jello Shot which is something on my to try list. And yes the Lemongrass gel is in the yellow container. I am looking for super hold which is why I was interested in trying them together.
OK. Makes sense. I would try the UFD without a leave-in because it is meant to sit on the hair. It is nourishing enough.

toaster

@Napp, I totally agree with @faithVA, unless your hair is in tip top condition, more frequent washes can be really beneficial for your scalp and hair. Having easy access to your hair to reset is great. Then, as you’re more comfortable, you can see how far out you can extend your wash.

Definitely try UFD alone with no leave in. I basically use it as a leave in anyway. I don’t use liquids or creams to style my hair, just gels.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Just my two cents, I found for thinning, keeping my scalp hydrated worked better than going long stints between cleansing. Even if my hair can last for a long period of time, my scalp feels and acts much better when I don't dehydrate it. Just something to think about.
Yeah I agree. I will stick to once a week wash n goes and see if my hair health and thickness improves.

@Napp, I totally agree with @faithVA, unless your hair is in tip top condition, more frequent washes can be really beneficial for your scalp and hair. Having easy access to your hair to reset is great. Then, as you’re more comfortable, you can see how far out you can extend your wash.

Definitely try UFD alone with no leave in. I basically use it as a leave in anyway. I don’t use liquids or creams to style my hair, just gels.
My hair is definitely not in good shape so I guess I'm going to pass on this for now. Right now I need to focus on getting my hair health back. Hopefully the weekly deep treatments and scalp drops daily help. I am also adding some collagen and MSM as an internal supplement along with Viviscal.