Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Okay, my wash routine officially takes too long.

40 minutes to wash and detangle my hair. After that I don’t have the energy to get back in the shower and style and then sit under the dryer.

I might have to go through my old posts and figure out what my cowash and bun routine was. Although I’m never giving up shampoo. If anything, I’ll alternate using the AG shampoo and the innersense shampoo. I’ll take my bun down at night so I don’t have too much tension.

Maybe wash and go’s will be for special occasions.

And I know we’re supposed to get our routine into a “wash hour” but I think my hair is too long for a wash hour hairstyle to meet my standards.

faithVA

I'm back in lazy mode. I started the K18 so keeping my wash days simple. And since I'm not going anywhere I'm pretty much in twist. I did my 3rd K18 treatment tonight. I shampooed, applied K18, sprayed my hair with UFD leave-in spray and put in some twist. I'm probably in twist for the rest of the summer except for the few times I color my hair or actually plan to go somewhere. I will still do a curly set at the end of each month just to have a comparison photo.

LavenderMint

@toaster I’m so SO glad you mentioned this!! Ever since really getting into the wash & set lifestyle espoused by the A’s, I’ve kind of side-eyed the whole “wash hour” idea. It seems to be at odds with their push to get to know the unique properties of your hair. A thorough condition & detangle can run me at least 25 min because of the length, the density, the thickness of my strands & the diameter of my coils. I’ve got my CCS process down to 2.5-3hrs (including dryer time) and that’s at least 3 hours better than it used to be. I’m finally understanding the qualities of my hair and I think I might go to every 2nd or 3rd week- depending on the weather- with wng styling as it warms up.

40 minutes to wash and detangle my hair. After that I don’t have the energy to get back in the shower and style and then sit under the dryer.

I might have to go through my old posts and figure out what my cowash and bun routine was. Although I’m never giving up shampoo. If anything, I’ll alternate using the AG shampoo and the innersense shampoo. I’ll take my bun down at night so I don’t have too much tension.

And I know we’re supposed to get our routine into a “wash hour” but I think my hair is too long for a wash hour hairstyle to meet my standards.

LavenderMint

By the time I wash my hair on Saturday it will be two weeks :eek:

I need to get myself mentally prepared.
Me too… Monday was awful & I didn’t get to wash so I’m now at 2 weeks as well. Good luck to us both! :spinning:

I'm back in lazy mode. I started the K18 so keeping my wash days simple. And since I'm not going anywhere I'm pretty much in twist. I did my 3rd K18 treatment tonight. I shampooed, applied K18, sprayed my hair with UFD leave-in spray and put in some twist. I'm probably in twist for the rest of the summer except for the few times I color my hair or actually plan to go somewhere. I will still do a curly set at the end of each month just to have a comparison photo.
How do you like the K18? I’ve been very curious about it but haven’t looked to see how people are feeling or if it’s delivering results. Plus, it looks like it’s just the one product, a leave-in? I found the thread on it & just saved it.

Last edited:

faithVA

Me too… Monday was awful & I didn’t get to wash so I’m now at 2 weeks as well. Good luck to us both! :spinning:

How do you like the K18? I’ve been very curious about it but haven’t looked to see how people are feeling or if it’s delivering results. Plus, it looks like it’s just the one product, a leave-in? I found the thread on it & just saved it.
I'm not sure yet. It's too early for me to tell.

As my hair gets longer, I'm having more breakage. I'm hoping after I finish my initial 6 treatments I notice a reduction in breakage.

oneastrocurlie

How long I let my hair grow is directly correlated into how long it wash and style it. If I ever start butting up against 2 hours, sorry for these strands because the buck will stop there.

I used adwoa beauty blue tansy conditioner last wash. And while I like it and how my hair feels afterwards, it doesn't have as much slip as my other conditioners so took me longer to detangle. I had to do smaller sections and add more water. So likely won't be repurchasing.

GettingKinky

You do have a lot of hair. What part of washing and detangling takes the bulk of your time?

toaster

You do have a lot of hair. What part of washing and detangling takes the bulk of your time?
It’s definitely the detangling. I like to work in small sections. I think it’s the most gentle on my hair and avoids breakage, which contributes to my length retention.

As long as I’ve been on this board I’ve had a million different wash routines, but gentle handling when wet has always remained the same and it works for me.

The other part that takes me a long time is styling my wash and go. This is my fault. Smaller sections and getting product to the root gets me my desired outcome. I could accept a fluffier/less defined wash and go that didn’t last as long. That would speed up the process. But I’d rather wear a bun, because for me, I like the more defined, flat wash and go style.

GettingKinky

It’s definitely the detangling. I like to work in small sections. I think it’s the most gentle on my hair and avoids breakage, which contributes to my length retention.

As long as I’ve been on this board I’ve had a million different wash routines, but gentle handling when wet has always remained the same and it works for me.

The other part that takes me a long time is styling my wash and go. This is my fault. Smaller sections and getting product to the root gets me my desired outcome. I could accept a fluffier/less defined wash and go that didn’t last as long. That would speed up the process. But I’d rather wear a bun, because for me, I like the more defined, flat wash and go style.
I get it. Sometimes I think if I spent at much time as you do on my hair it would last longer, but I don’t have the patience.
I just put my hair in a puff if it gets to big/undefined for my liking. My ends always stay defined it’s only my roots that get messed up with all my workouts.

GettingKinky

I have so many observations from my wash day today
  • I will NEVER go two weeks between washing again if I’m wearing a wash n go
  • Detangling in small sections works for my ends, but I find it hard when I get closer to my roots - it’s hard to keep the brush from grabbing the adjacent section.
  • I much prefer using UFD from a jar than the pump- I can just scoop it out with my measuring spoon
  • I used the last of my color radiance conditioner so it’s on one side of my hair and Briogeo Be Gentle Be Kind is on the other side. Briogeo is much better for detangling, and it made my curls clump better
  • I focused on getting good application on my roots, I’m curious to see if this set survives my workouts better.

toaster

@toaster does a wash n go take you longer than roller setting?
That’s a great question. I think the washing and detangling would take me about the same amount of time. After practice I could roll my hair in about 30 minutes. Took 90 minutes under the pibbs to dry. So I’d say they probably take the same amount of time.

With the amount I’m working out now, I’d have to see if a roller set would last a week or two.

One thing about a roller set, is I could dry detangle before getting in the shower. Loosen the shed hair. Made detangling a lot easier.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
That’s a great question. I think the washing and detangling would take me about the same amount of time. After practice I could roll my hair in about 30 minutes. Took 90 minutes under the pibbs to dry. So I’d say they probably take the same amount of time.

With the amount I’m working out now, I’d have to see if a roller set would last a week or two.

One thing about a roller set, is I could dry detangle before getting in the shower. Loosen the shed hair. Made detangling a lot easier.
My natural hair rollersets wouldn't last for anything.:nono: Good luck with getting it to last for a week with workouts.

faithVA

Have you ever tried detangling with diluted conditioner before starting your wash and go. It could be similar. You might even be able to do it the night before.

faithVA

No! But that’s an excellent idea! Honestly anything that would make this process easier would help.
I just want to piggy back this idea. I like the African pride pre poo. It's like a detangling gel consistency. I liked it to detangle my wash n go.

@toaster, you may have to play around with it depending on how you want to do it. If you don't want to rinse first because you have a lot of gel in your hair, you may have to play with the conditioner dilution. You may not have to dilute it but it is hard to say.

If you don't mind rinsing first, then you can just apply conditioner and detangle at your leisure and braid.

Let us know when you try it and if you find a solution.

faithVA

I rode 45 miles today because I lose my mind :lol: By the time I came home, shower, cooked and ate, I definitely was not feeling doing my hair. I just rinsed my hair in the shower and threw in a deep conditioner. Hopefully, I will feel like doing my hair tomorrow. If I do it will just be a shampoo and another K18 treatment and back into twist.

toaster

I rode 45 miles today because I lose my mind :lol: By the time I came home, shower, cooked and ate, I definitely was not feeling doing my hair. I just rinsed my hair in the shower and threw in a deep conditioner. Hopefully, I will feel like doing my hair tomorrow. If I do it will just be a shampoo and another K18 treatment and back into twist.
45 miles?!? Wow!!!

I would be exhausted for two weeks.

GettingKinky

That’s a loooong ride. Good for you!