Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Do wet buns count as a wash and go or just curly sets? I have been washing daily but I have been putting my hair in buns because I cant stand air drying. So far its working for me and I am using up product faster which is good because i have a ridiculous sized stash. I'm trying to get rid of all of my soft hold gels and curling creams so I can go back to shingling and washing once or twice a week. Preferably once a week.

GettingKinky

Do wet buns count as a wash and go or just curly sets? I have been washing daily but I have been putting my hair in buns because I cant stand air drying. So far its working for me and I am using up product faster which is good because i have a ridiculous sized stash. I'm trying to get rid of all of my soft hold gels and curling creams so I can go back to shingling and washing once or twice a week. Preferably once a week.
I wouldn’t call a wet bun a wash n go, but I think it’s a great way to take care of and wear your hair. I used to live in wet/damp buns. When I was relaxed that was how I dried my hair, it stretched my roots and I didn’t have to blow dry.

GettingKinky

Since I washed my hair on Wednesday I’m not going to wash it today. There are so many benefits to washing on Wednesday

- my hair looks its best on Friday/Saturday
- I don’t have to spend an hour of my precious weekend time on my hair

The downside is if I want to make Wednesday my wash day I’ll have to get up earlier that day.

LavenderMint

Also, UFD has 50% off right now.

I washed last night & have twists in for the week. Didn’t feel like sitting under a dryer and just wanted to get to bed.

Whatever is in these pre-poo detangling products needs to be in stylers & gels because my hair plumps right up with SO much definition, root to tip all over. Last week it was the African Pride pre-poo & this week I used a The Mane Choice one. It’s helped a lot with cutting down on time in the shower detangling.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Actually, @Napp, I really liked the results of the lemongrass gel a lot but the texture was very hard to work with and also just very strange. Maybe I got bad batches, I don’t know. What is the texture like for yours?
My gels looked a little chunky but applied smooth. I love this gel. I just did a wash and go with it today! Its one of my HG gels. I used the Felicia Leatherwood Brush to define my curls and so far I prefer it over the Denman when it comes to results. I had beautiful chunky looking clumps. I also think my hair prefers thicker and heavier gels for better results. I was using Curls Goddess Curls but that wasn't giving what I needed this wash day so I decided to whip out my beloved Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Gel! The only thing is that this killed all my volume and I have fine thin hair.

FL_Brush_with_Curls_Goddess_and_Alikay_LG_gel_3_2_50.jpg

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Here's my end of month check in. I'm letting it air dry now. I used ICV for the first time and I think it may get added to my regimen. It seemed to help hold the water in my hair better. We will see if it helps in this weather.

I can definitely tell that I need a mini shape.
View attachment 480271
Your hair looks good! I don't think you need to shape it now. Grow it out some more and then get a shape

faithVA

Your hair looks good! I don't think you need to shape it now. Grow it out some more and then get a shape
It works out better to keep it shaped up. When the shape is off it takes so much longer to style the hair and then I don't get consistent results. And I also have to do my hair more often because instead of it looking presentable for 5 days it only looks so so for 3 days. It just isn't worth it and it doesn't require taking too much off to keep it shaped up.

It looks good right now but 45 more days my sides are going to be so out of proportion it will be like a side mullet :rofl:

GettingKinky

I did it. I got up 30 minutes early and washed my hair before work. As soon as I got up I rinsed my ends in the sink and applied my olaplex 3. I let it marinate while I did my workout.

There are a few downsides to weekday mornings washing that I hadn’t considered
  • It’s right after my workout so I’m physically tired, and today wasn’t even a weights day. I’ll see how I do next week when I’ll lift beforehand.
  • It’s before I eat breakfast so I’m a bit hungry, but it wasn’t too bad
  • My hubby is still asleep so I can’t listen to music in the shower. This sucks big time :-(
Despite these downsides I’m going to try this for a month and see how I like it. It may be worth it to have my best hair on the weekend and more free time on Saturday.

faithVA

With the humidity my set isn't going to last 5 days. I will have to reset tomorrow to get me through the weekend. I have some samples of other things I'm going to try. I have to go into the office again on Monday, so I will do a set Thursday for the weekend and then on Sunday after my bike ride.

I have tried to smooth it and get it elongated like my stylist. I think my style last longer when I shake briskly and let my curls coil together. I'm going to stick with that for now until my hair gets longer and I can get a more blunt cut.

GettingKinky

I’m really very happy with my hair today. I wish I knew specifically what I did to make it turn out this way. I’ve pretty much standardized how much conditioner and styling product I use, so the differences I see these days has to be the raking. I wish I had a way to standardize that.

I just remembered I also stopped putting in my side part until after my hair is dry. I wonder if this is playing a role…

GGsKin

I can't believe that @GGsKin and @LavenderMint didn't like the Alikay lemongrass gel. Its one of my favorites too @keranikki I'd bet it would work with the accompanying leave in. Have you tried it?
Lol, I just went back to edit. I don't think I've actually tried the Alikay Lemongrass gel. I think I was recalling my experience with the consistency of a different Alikay product lol. I went to check out some YT and became interested, but then I think I read it contains glycerin (always leaves my hair looking frizzy and feeling drier where I am), so I lost some interest.

shebababy

I've been using the KCNT and KCCC for the past few weeks. I really like this combo. I've also learned how to detangle my hair without it turning into a curly fro after styling. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Olaplex into my routine, but I think I'm too lazy to hop in and out of the shower to do it.masking.jpeg

GettingKinky

@shebababy you hair looks great! I still have an unopened container of KCKT and KCCC. I should try them again and use them up.

Which olaplex are you trying to incorporate? I use #3 weekly on the ends of my hair. I rinse my the last 4-6 inches of my hair thoroughly in the sink and apply the olaplex. Then after 10 minutes I get in the shower and do my wash day as normal.
I’m also too lazy to get in the shower and wash my hair first.

shebababy

@shebababy you hair looks great! I still have an unopened container of KCKT and KCCC. I should try them again and use them up.

Which olaplex are you trying to incorporate? I use #3 weekly on the ends of my hair. I rinse my the last 4-6 inches of my hair thoroughly in the sink and apply the olaplex. Then after 10 minutes I get in the shower and do my wash day as normal.
I’m also too lazy to get in the shower and wash my hair first.
I have 0 and 3. Rinsing in the sink sounds like a plan. I'll give that a try.

sunshinebeautiful

I've been enjoying better sets recently. I think that what clicked is that I have to get my hair super super dry before I leave the house. This Florida humidity ain't no joke.

So the past two sets, I've sat under the dryer for a full hour and then went back in with my blow dryer to make sure it dried all the way. Then went about my business and out into the world. My Day 5, 6, 7 sets have looked sooooooo much better.

I tried it with UFD + ICH + Trepadora Bamboo Glaze (I upgraded to this because it supposedly has firmer hold). Also a mousse-based set with Mousse Def + ICH. That mousse set looked good for a straight 6 days. It frizzed out a bit, but I could still see defined curls when I eventually shampooed again.

When I use UFD it does take longer to dry, so I'll factor that in when choosing what products to use (and how much time I have on my hands) each week.