Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

@toaster i remember when I tried roller setting for awhile. Even though I loved the results It was too much work for me and I gave up. I can’t wait to see your results.
It will be interesting to see how this set lasts (workouts, heat, etc.) but mainly I wanted to stretch my hair so I could trim. I haven’t had a trim since last June, and I’m not proficient at trimming my curly hair at home.

As I take each roller out, I’ll trim about an inch from the ends. My ends are scraggly.

faithVA

This isn’t about a wash and go, but here I am anyway!

Under the dryer with my first roller set in YEARS. It came back to me pretty quickly. I clarified, washed and conditioned and detangled and parted my hair in the shower. Went back to its a 10 shampoo and conditioner. I forgot how much you have to detangle your hair when you’re stretching it. My hair hasn’t been stretched since 2020.

I could definitely get faster at washing/rolling with practice. Under my Collins dryer now. It doesn’t open so I was worried I wouldn’t fit, but I easily fit in with various sized hourglass rollers. Can you even buy these anymore?

View attachment 480875View attachment 480877
I was wondering where you were. Can't wait to see the finished results.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I washed with AGHair Boost and Balance. Styled with UFD , ICH and this new curl crème a silver haired natural mentioned she loved. Can’t find the jar but I’ll post it somewhere later. I was nervous as it was creamy but it absorbed on top of the other stylers. Currently under the dryer.
I need a new rolling dryer but I’m trying to buy property so I’m under a budget at the moment and it doesn’t include that.

Attachments

• F8FE27C0-D602-4CDC-A677-18A0B2B86957.jpeg
    F8FE27C0-D602-4CDC-A677-18A0B2B86957.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

faithVA

My pictures suck :ohwell:

Had my hair appointment. It was about 90 minutes. She thought I wanted her to style my hair like I do it so she did it completely different than before. At the end we got clear that I want her to do magic and leave the fro look to me :lol: But I like what she did.

She styled with UFD, ICH and then I took my Trepadora BG in and she used that as the final topper.

She used some type of comb and then finger smoothed to set my coils. She didnt have me shake or swing at all. I sat under the dryer for 20, then she blow dried for a few minutes then under the dryer for 10.

It's still too short for me so I didnt want a real cut. But she did give me soft angles and so it looks much better.

It's really soft with a slight cast. And she even made my old color look pretty good.

I feel like it is taking forever for my hair to grow out but it hasn't been 2 years since my 1st cut. I just need to stay patient.

I go back in September so hope to see some change then.

20220525_214139_copy_1752x1312.jpg

toaster

Thank you @oneastrocurlie @Napp @faithVA !!!

Lol at your miscommunication @faithVA , but I think even with the fro look your hair looks much fuller and the front looks longer. I know you and Ms Patty have been fighting, but she’s paying attention now!

I need to get better about my trimming schedule like you. That would probably make wash day easier.

Looking back at my old posts, I would deep condition and detangle on dry hair, shampoo in the shower, and then just apply my leave in…

Going to try that next time.

faithVA

Anyone ever notice UFD curly magic foaming up like a mousse?
As my stylist did my hair today the UFD was foaming and I asked her about it. She said it had to have the right amount of water. And she spent a lot of time smoothing the UFD into the hair and you could hear the UFD squishing.

I haven't figured that out yet. Not sure if it helps if the hair is recently clarified. I will play around with it next wash day.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
As my stylist did my hair today the UFD was foaming and I asked her about it. She said it had to have the right amount of water. And she spent a lot of time smoothing the UFD into the hair and you could hear the UFD squishing.

I haven't figured that out yet. Not sure if it helps if the hair is recently clarified. I will play around with it next wash day.
That’s interesting. I wonder if it’s because I styled my hair outside the shower that time and smoothed the UFD and usually I just add it in the shower and then my topper then get off and start smoothing. It didn’t happen last night. @faithVA

faithVA

I had to meet someone in the rain this morning so I've totally lost any style she set yesterday :lol: It was already flattened from sleeping but then I put on a plastic cap and then my slap cap to keep my hair dry. So I lost the style but I still have the definition and this should last through the weekend.

A few days ago I posted some combos I was planning to try. But she did one of the combos for me yesterday which is UFD + ICH + BG. And that one is a win. My hair is soft and defined but still has enough cast to keep away the frizz. I will take ICV out of rotation. For now I will just play with different combos of UFD, ICH and Trepadora products. And I want to focus on my technique more to see if I can get my hair as smooth and frizz free as she did.

I'm on the hunt for that 3 row comb now as well.

faithVA

@faithVA I totally get what you mean about being patient. I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to get to shoulder length, but I should really start counting after my first really awesome curly cut and that want even a year ago. How is it that time moves so slowly, but also races by?
I have no idea. For me time just seems really off right now. When I was talking to the stylist yesterday in my mind I was thinking i had been doing this for 3 years because it feels so long. But when I counted back obviously it wasn't.

I'm not trying to rush time but these past 2 years sure do feel extra long :lol:

I'm also not taking comparison pics like I used to so it isn't helping me stay realistic about my progress.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am going to try raking and smoothing next wash day. I feel like the Felicia Leatherwood brush is causing unnecessary breakage in my hair when I brush my hair with it too often. I also think that it poofs out my roots too much unless I'm using gel styler. I am looking for a way to define my hair with just my fingers. I'll feel better about doing a wash and go daily or every other day if I can figure out the best technique with my hair.

GettingKinky

I am going to try raking and smoothing next wash day. I feel like the Felicia Leatherwood brush is causing unnecessary breakage in my hair when I brush my hair with it too often. I also think that it poofs out my roots too much unless I'm using gel styler. I am looking for a way to define my hair with just my fingers. I'll feel better about doing a wash and go daily or every other day if I can figure out the best technique with my hair.
For me I get the best results when I do a little smoothing followed by a lot of raking. The raking helps my curls to separate, especially on the ends and that really shows off the shape of my hair cut.
I rake each quadrant after I apply my second gel and I rake again once I finish my entire head. The final raking makes a HUGE difference in how my hair turns out.
I can’t believe it’s taken me almost 3 years to figure out how critical the final raking step is for me.

toaster

Doing some length comparisons since my awful haircut in December 2020. I don’t see a ton of growth in the back (granted I’ve trimmed twice since) but my sides have definitely grown in.

I think I’ll rollerset when I have time and wash and go when I don’t. I might retain slightly more length with stretched hair, but I’m so happy I can style my hair in it’s natural state and love how it looks curly.

Attachments

• C009A644-E9E4-47F7-9A81-002B7BC39AC9.jpeg
    C009A644-E9E4-47F7-9A81-002B7BC39AC9.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 31

oneastrocurlie

I had to meet someone in the rain this morning so I've totally lost any style she set yesterday :lol: It was already flattened from sleeping but then I put on a plastic cap and then my slap cap to keep my hair dry. So I lost the style but I still have the definition and this should last through the weekend.

A few days ago I posted some combos I was planning to try. But she did one of the combos for me yesterday which is UFD + ICH + BG. And that one is a win. My hair is soft and defined but still has enough cast to keep away the frizz. I will take ICV out of rotation. For now I will just play with different combos of UFD, ICH and Trepadora products. And I want to focus on my technique more to see if I can get my hair as smooth and frizz free as she did.

I'm on the hunt for that 3 row comb now as well.

If it's the 3 row comb I think it is that's at Sally's for like $3

I use mine to detangle my nap area.

faithVA

If it's the 3 row comb I think it is that's at Sally's for like $3

I use mine to detangle my nap area.
Yes that is what I'm looking for. My stylist set my curls with it and it was really defined. Thank you.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I tried raking and smoothing. I didn’t like my results. I like chunky curl clumps and raking made my hair look stringy. I will keep trying with different products to see if that makes a difference.

I finally tried the matrix a curl can dream products (except for the mask yet) and I am underwhelmed. my hair looks kind of dull. I will use less moisturizing cream to gel ratio to see if that helps next time

GettingKinky

Doing some length comparisons since my awful haircut in December 2020. I don’t see a ton of growth in the back (granted I’ve trimmed twice since) but my sides have definitely grown in.

I think I’ll rollerset when I have time and wash and go when I don’t. I might retain slightly more length with stretched hair, but I’m so happy I can style my hair in it’s natural state and love how it looks curly.
Your hair looks a lot longer to me.