Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I traveled for 2 weeks and did my hairxevery 5 days. The last reset I didn't have enough gel to get it right but it would have been Ok for a day. They canceled our flight so I knew it wouldn't make it for another day. I bought kinky curly at Walgreen and redid my hair in twist.

In the future unless I have more hang time and can put my hair in a puff at the end of 5 days, I will just put my hair in twist for vacation.

I needed a break anyway so going to stick to twist for the summer. They are just so much easier.

Unless something amazing happens in the next year I don't foresee a curly set being my every day. It's a lot of work for a curly afro.

classychic1908

So I just cracked open a new big bottle of UFD and the consistency is vastly different. My last bottle was bought almost 2 years ago. It was chunky and clear ish in texture.

this stuff is creamy opaque white and doesn’t clump. It’s very loose in consistency. I had to be careful after taking some out as it would slide down the hair and fall into the shower as I was applying it if I didn’t squish it into my hair I dunno.

used ICH on top with the coco Bella styler. Next wash I’ll try just the ICH with the coco Bella and see how it fairs.
I'm no longer using UFD in my hair. It's been causing major flaking under my other gels. I still like it for my children's twists.

GettingKinky

So I had my super expensive first time client appointment yesterday. I really like the stylist- she was super nice and she knows hair. She was very impressed with the state of my hair and said I’m definitely not like a typical new client. She said my hair was super healthy for the whole strand except a tiny bit at the ends. (I think that’s the last of my baking sofa

After looking at my hair , she commented that the back was like one big sheet of hair that was overhanging the hair underneath. She suggested changing the shape in the back a little so that the curls could hang a bit better. I agreed. I can never see the back if my hair, but normally when I look, it’s not looking great back there.

She cut my hair on my styling and then did a wash and set. She turned me on to Miche shampoo which is good because I’m looking for a black owned shampoo to replace my Innersense Color awakening.
she styled me with UFD and a foam whose name I’ve already forgotten. She’s not a big fan of Mousse Def because she thinks it feels too tacky so she has 2 other foams (black owned) that she uses.

Her styling gave me big clumpy elongated curls as opposed to my more separated very shrunken curls. It looks nice, but I think I prefer my styling.

I was a bit in a rush so she didn’t get my hair fully dry. I had already been there over 2.5 hours. She said I could come back and she could do any final cutting if after I live with this cut for a week I feel it needs it.

I didn’t ask her if she’s planning to offer just a cut service, but when I send her pictures of how my hair looked once it fully dried I will ask her about that. I would love for her to be my regular stylist, but the thought of spending $350 3-4 times a year is a bit much.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So I had my super expensive first time client appointment yesterday. I really like the stylist- she was super nice and she knows hair. She was very impressed with the state of my hair and said I’m definitely not like a typical new client. She said my hair was super healthy for the whole strand except a tiny bit at the ends. (I think that’s the last of my baking sofa

After looking at my hair , she commented that the back was like one big sheet of hair that was overhanging the hair underneath. She suggested changing the shape in the back a little so that the curls could hang a bit better. I agreed. I can never see the back if my hair, but normally when I look, it’s not looking great back there.

She cut my hair on my styling and then did a wash and set. She turned me on to Miche shampoo which is good because I’m looking for a black owned shampoo to replace my Innersense Color awakening.
she styled me with UFD and a foam whose name I’ve already forgotten. She’s not a big fan of Mousse Def because she thinks it feels too tacky so she has 2 other foams (black owned) that she uses.

Her styling gave me big clumpy elongated curls as opposed to my more separated very shrunken curls. It looks nice, but I think I prefer my styling.

I was a bit in a rush so she didn’t get my hair fully dry. I had already been there over 2.5 hours. She said I could come back and she could do any final cutting if after I live with this cut for a week I feel it needs it.

I didn’t ask her if she’s planning to offer just a cut service, but when I send her pictures of how my hair looked once it fully dried I will ask her about that. I would love for her to be my regular stylist, but the thought of spending $350 3-4 times a year is a bit much.

where are the pics?!:morepics:

faithVA

I'm glad you had a good experience. I hope that you are able to work something out where it is less expensive and you can just get the cut you want.

Looking forward to seeing the new cut.

faithVA

I got my maintenance cut at the end of May. She didn't cut off much just enough to get the back to lay better. Unfortunately, it was enough that I was able to put my hair into a puff during vacation :ohwell: But it was the right amount because as I lost moisture and curl definition my cut laid properly.

Because my hair isn't short though a maintenance cut doesn't get rid of my bad ends so I will need to clip them in my twist. Hopefully once my hair is long enough for a bob or whatever the style, my ends will be in better shape.

GettingKinky

I got my maintenance cut at the end of May. She didn't cut off much just enough to get the back to lay better. Unfortunately, it was enough that I was able to put my hair into a puff during vacation :ohwell: But it was the right amount because as I lost moisture and curl definition my cut laid properly.

Because my hair isn't short though a maintenance cut doesn't get rid of my bad ends so I will need to clip them in my twist. Hopefully once my hair is long enough for a bob or whatever the style, my ends will be in better shape.
She doesn’t go through you hair and trim all the ends?

faithVA

My trim takes about an hour. With all the money we pay for these curly cuts they need to take the time to trim every curl.
I'm OK with it. I don't pay too much more for my maintenance cut than I do for a wash and set, so for me it works. And I also think as my hair gets longer it will work out. For where my hair is now I really don't want to spend and extra 30 minutes for the back. I'm not at a good stage with my wash and go like you are. But for the price you pay, yes you need every strand cut.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I just dont like how mousse on top of washngos on me look. No matter what mousse I use, it dulls my hair and gives it a thick feel to the hair. I used Miche Beauty Mousse on top of their gel last night. Great application. Lovely look before drying but after, Its just a ashy dull look. I wonder if it needs a ton of water to really emulsify into the hair. My hair looks dull like when I use shea butter.

I'll rewash tonight. I have a few mousses if anyone is interested , let me know and I'll gladly send them to you.

GettingKinky

I just dont like how mousse on top of washngos on me look. No matter what mousse I use, it dulls my hair and gives it a thick feel to the hair. I used Miche Beauty Mousse on top of their gel last night. Great application. Lovely look before drying but after, Its just a ashy dull look. I wonder if it needs a ton of water to really emulsify into the hair. My hair looks dull like when I use shea butter.

I'll rewash tonight. I have a few mousses if anyone is interested , let me know and I'll gladly send them to you.
I like the way mousse “matte-ifies” my hair. I don’t like the shiny look that I get from gel, but I love the performance of gel so I keep using it. I can never get enough hold from gel + mousse.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I like the way mousse “matte-ifies” my hair. I don’t like the shiny look that I get from gel, but I love the performance of gel so I keep using it. I can never get enough hold from gel + mousse.
Yeah, its softens my hair too much. I might as well use conditioner which I have in the past, it justs a really soft hold. I pulled it back into two low buns and ill deal with it later on. @GettingKinky

fluffyforever

I did a big chop months ago to start my wash and go journey on a fresh new head hair since my journey on longer but damaged hair was going great, but my hair was so thin from hair loss.

Well let me say, my hair does not coil at all until it gets a certain length. My hair is considerably longer now than when I cut it, but my coils are not forming doing the exact techniques as before.

So i just accepted that my hair needs a lot of length to coil with gel. I’m just rocking a fuzzy fro in the meantime.

faithVA

I did a big chop months ago to start my wash and go journey on a fresh new head hair since my journey on longer but damaged hair was going great, but my hair was so thin from hair loss.

Well let me say, my hair does not coil at all until it gets a certain length. My hair is considerably longer now than when I cut it, but my coils are not forming doing the exact techniques as before.

So i just accepted that my hair needs a lot of length to coil with gel. I’m just rocking a fuzzy fro in the meantime.
My hair is the same way so I make sure my stylist doesnt taper my hair because it takes too long to get my curls back.

What did work when it was super short was stay soft fro. I used that for years when I wore my hair super short.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I had my best WNG with UFD and Jello Shot! I will never use anything else. My hair maintained so much more moisture! As my hair started to dry out, my curls stayed defined. All I had to do was fluff my hair. Don’t mind the frizz in the crown area. My hair was not dry when I finally went to bed.
Thank you ladies for posting about this combo! I now have a combo that gives me 7-day curls!

Last edited: