Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

for my wash n go I’m thinking the classic UFD + Jell-O shot. I’ve had UFD for a while but it never did much for me on its own. I’m excited to try it with Jell-O shot though. Do you all apply your products in the shower or out? Soaking wet hair? I don’t have a shower mirror so in the shower might be tough… plus I get cold easy LOL
I apply everything in the shower on very wet hair. I like doing it in the shower because it’s easy to clean up the mess. I have a shower mirror, but I’ve don’t it some many times that I don’t really need to look.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Mielle_Pomegranate_LI_and_Wetline_3_2_50.jpg

I did an impromptu wash and go midweek. I was outside these past few days and my hair just turned into a fuzz ball with my usual combo. I decided to use Mielle pomegranate and honey leave in and original wet line gel (I cant believe I still have access to this) My hair is very defined but kind of flat looking. I prefer the body I have with my other combo but i may need to use this new combo for these humid summer days.

oneastrocurlie

for my wash n go I’m thinking the classic UFD + Jell-O shot. I’ve had UFD for a while but it never did much for me on its own. I’m excited to try it with Jell-O shot though. Do you all apply your products in the shower or out? Soaking wet hair? I don’t have a shower mirror so in the shower might be tough… plus I get cold easy LOL

I'm an out the shower person. My hair is as wet as I can stand. So dripping but maybe not considered soaking.

toaster

Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

how long do your rollersets take?
Thank you!!

My roller set process now is to spray my hair at the sink and apply conditioner/ detangle. This takes me about 15 minutes?

Then I usually do other stuff around the house while my conditioner sits.

Eventually I hop in the shower, shampoo, part my hair for the roller set, and wash my body. This takes maybe 20 minutes.

I can roll my hair in about 35-40 minutes.

And I sit under the dryer for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

So, without the time I just sit around, it takes me about 3 hours.

To do my full wash and go and dry under the dryer I think it took me almost 2 hours, so a roller set is an extra hour of work.

GettingKinky

I’m going back to my stylist for her to polish my cut on Tuesday. I had to leave before my hair was fully dry during my initial appointment so she said I could come back to finish.

I skipped my Wednesday wash this week and I’m going to wash on Sunday so it will only be 2 days old. I hope the tangles aren’t too bad after 11 days between washing and 6 days in a puff.

oneastrocurlie

I'm in mini twists for the moment. But I noticed while doing them I have some broken hairs at the crown. The Googles say it could be due to not switching up how I section my hair. I don't wear puffs that often. Maybe once every other wash and only for a day at time right before I wash again.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

GettingKinky

I’ve decided that I don’t like my $400 haircut. I washed it for the second time yesterday and she definitely messed it up. She cut the crown to short on one side and it doesn’t connect well with the hair below it. I’m going to see her tomorrow but I don’t think there’s anything she can do. I’m just going to have to grow it out. :mad:

I should have just stuck with the woman 1.5 hours away.
The first picture is when my hair is still 20% wet the second picture my hair is 95% dry. There’s a shelf on one side that goes partially into the back. It looks better as it dries, but I am NOT happy. I paid too much for a bad haircut.
5CE638B6-2FA4-489D-9E18-CC0EE2EBAAF5.jpeg
193A7D10-2D79-4AD0-BFE5-E42788DEA389.jpeg

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’ve decided that I don’t like my $400 haircut. I washed it for the second time yesterday and she definitely messed it up. She cut the crown to short on one side and it doesn’t connect well with the hair below it. I’m going to see her tomorrow but I don’t think there’s anything she can do. I’m just going to have to grow it out. :mad:

I should have just stuck with the woman 1.5 hours away.
The first picture is when my hair is still 20% wet the second picture my hair is 95% dry. There’s a shelf on one side that goes partially into the back. It looks better as it dries, but I am NOT happy. I paid too much for a bad haircut.
View attachment 481623
View attachment 481625
That really sucks! This makes me really not want to get a curly cut. It can be so unpredictable! This reminds me of that cut jewlianna palencia had a few years ago

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did 2 wash and goes this wash day. The first was with Mielle Pomegranate and Honey leave in and ORS HD Curl Clumping Gel. It looked like it mixed together but once dry there were so many flakes in my hair. I couldn't even hide it plus my hair was rock hard. The definition was great though. In the end, I do not like this gel so I tossed it.

MPLI_and_ORS_Clumping_2_2_50.jpg

You can see the flakes in my hair.

The second wash and go I used Mielle pomegranate and Honey leave in along with Miss Key Dady Gel. The results were just ok and I like the volume I had for first day hair.

MPLI_and_Dady_Gel_3_2_50.jpg
The hold is very soft. I ended up putting it in a puff. I will probably be puffin' it for the next few weeks while I use this stuff up. I might try it with Camille Rose Coconut Water leave in to see if that pairs well too.

I also feel like my hair looks nicer in a puff because the front is shorter than the back. I think and inverted bob cut with long layers on the top will give me the shape I want when curly.

LavenderMint

What is the benefit of twisting your hair while drying and applying the Trepadora?
It just seems to help a bit with keeping my hair from tangling back up. Probably (literally) all in my head but it seems to help when I do it but a cut would likely help more and better.
What kind of dryer do you have!
Professional 1300W Adjustable Hooded Floor Hair Bonnet Dryer Stand Up Rolling Base with Wheels for Beauty Spa Home Salon Equipment https://a.co/d/eJ9a28f
It didn’t say any particular brand on it & arrived missing a part but the seller was super responsive & I had it within a couple days of notifying them it was missing. The best part (for me) is that the hood is removable. So even though I keep the stand out, I can put the hood away when not in use.

GettingKinky

That really sucks! This makes me really not want to get a curly cut. It can be so unpredictable! This reminds me of that cut jewlianna palencia had a few years ago
Curly cuts really are a wild card. It’s hard to know exactly what the stylist means when she describes what she is going to do. And once the hair is cut it’s too late.
I should have stuck with my other stylist. But I feel like over time I will get on the same page with the new one

GettingKinky

So I went back today and let my new stylist do the finishing snips on my cut. She rounded it a bit so the side doesn’t look as much like a ledge.
I pointed out the “hole” in the back and she said that was breakage and that I had quite a few short hairs in that area I want to believe her, but I really don’t remember it being there before this cut (but I also don’t spend a lot of time looking at the back of my hair)
We talked a bit about how if I come every 4 months for a trim it would have to be a very small trim because it’s so easy to remove a lot of hair and I only grow 1.5” in 4 months.

At any rate, I think we will be able to build a good hair relationship, and she said in the near future she is planning to offer a dry cut only service. I don’t hate my haircut, (although I liked it better when my old stylist did it). And she’s soooo close and very nice. I’m going to make this work.

GettingKinky

I know you guys are tired of me complaining about my haircut, but I’m pretty sure I did’t have breakage and she just cut my hair too short in one area.
I’m trying not to obsesses over it because I can’t do anything about it, but I don’t get how she managed to do this. And everytime I see it in the morning when I’m working out, it bothers me.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I know you guys are tired of me complaining about my haircut, but I’m pretty sure I did’t have breakage and she just cut my hair too short in one area.
I’m trying not to obsesses over it because I can’t do anything about it, but I don’t get how she managed to do this. And everytime I see it in the morning when I’m working out, it bothers me.
I feel so sorry for you! I don’t trust these stylists out here. I highly doubt it was breakage.

GettingKinky

I feel so sorry for you! I don’t trust these stylists out here. I highly doubt it was breakage.
I really don’t understand how she did this.
I blame myself. I should have told her to keep my same shape and just trim the ends. Whenever a new stylist sees me that want to top shorter, there must be something about the inspo picture I show that makes them do that. I’m going to stop using it.

LavenderMint

I have a cut scheduled next week & I’m having a hard time figuring out what inspiration pictures to use. How do you even decide that? I know I want a shape that will grow in nicely but it needs to work with my face shape. All I know right now is I definitely don’t want a taper or fade that I’ll have to keep getting trimmed because that doesn’t work for my lifestyle.

LavenderMint

Wash day was Tuesday & I can cross DevaCurl super hold gel or whatever off my list of solo gels. Today is Thursday & I’m looking like Mr. Glass’ understudy again. In addition to the unwanted vertical volume, pulling it to try to balance it out some led to major flaking. I’m washing either tonight or tomorrow.

The salon I’m getting my cut (I’m also getting a wng because they don’t offer dry cuts) done requires you to show up with clean, unmanipulated/accessory-free hair in a wng that was accomplished with water based “curl defining product”. They name KCCC, DevaCurl, DIY flaxseed and EcoStyler as acceptable- none of which has ever worked for me. I really want to do my UFD & Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng Combo because it works best for me but I don’t know how that’s going to be received.

faithVA

I blame myself. I should have told her to keep my same shape and just trim the ends. Whenever a new stylist sees me that want to top shorter, there must be something about the inspo picture I show that makes them do that. I’m going to stop using it.
I'm so sorry you don't like your new cut. I hope you and the new stylists can make it work. I think it is harder when you have nailed your technique and then let someone else cut based on theirs. I'm sure that is only part of the issue.

I'm hoping by the end of the summer, it has grown out enough to not drive you crazy. I hope you can get a dry trim next time. :bighug:

faithVA

Have you ever considered just trimming your own hair, since you really aren't looking for a new shape? A good pair of scissors, some clips and a good movie will get it done in 90 minutes.

GettingKinky

I have a cut scheduled next week & I’m having a hard time figuring out what inspiration pictures to use. How do you even decide that? I know I want a shape that will grow in nicely but it needs to work with my face shape. All I know right now is I definitely don’t want a taper or fade that I’ll have to keep getting trimmed because that doesn’t work for my lifestyle.
Wash day was Tuesday & I can cross DevaCurl super hold gel or whatever off my list of solo gels. Today is Thursday & I’m looking like Mr. Glass’ understudy again. In addition to the unwanted vertical volume, pulling it to try to balance it out some led to major flaking. I’m washing either tonight or tomorrow.

The salon I’m getting my cut (I’m also getting a wng because they don’t offer dry cuts) done requires you to show up with clean, unmanipulated/accessory-free hair in a wng that was accomplished with water based “curl defining product”. They name KCCC, DevaCurl, DIY flaxseed and EcoStyler as acceptable- none of which has ever worked for me. I really want to do my UFD & Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng Combo because it works best for me but I don’t know how that’s going to be received.
I think you should do your hair with what you know works. I think you get a better cut when you go in with your best hair. I feel like all these rules are for people who don’t shampoo regularly use lots of butters and oils.
If they accept ecostyer I don’t think they will mind UFD/BG.

oneastrocurlie

I used future hair inspiration pics. I rather a more rounded shape as my hair grows out so grabbed those types of pics so she could see what my end goal was.

I'm team "But how will they know?" lol. UFD is water based. Sounds fine to me. I also take into account that my efforts and products will be washed away soon so I like to use my cheaper products. Sometimes I literally just do a mousse only wng if I'm washing the day before

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Here is this weeks wash and go. I used Mielle Pomegranate and Honey leave in and Curl Daze Glossy Shine Gel. So far they seem to work pretty well together. I will see if it flakes over time. I love the results. I have great curl definition, shine and hold. So far this is looking like my perfect summer gel. I'm on a no buy right now so I wont buy another once I'm done but this gel is going on my list of favorites.
MPLI_and_Curl_Daze_Gel_2_50.jpg

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Here is this weeks wash and go. I used Mielle Pomegranate and Honey leave in and Curl Daze Glossy Shine Gel. So far they seem to work pretty well together. I will see if it flakes over time. I love the results. I have great curl definition, shine and hold. So far this is looking like my perfect summer gel. I'm on a no buy right now so I wont buy another once I'm done but this gel is going on my list of favorites.
View attachment 481697
The curl cream is good too. Together or by itself. @Napp