Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Evolving78

Hello ladies! I’m working on being consistent! I washed and styled my hair yesterday. I actually detangled my hair with the shampoo in the shower, with a shower comb! Lol I haven’t done that in years? I used my conditioner and allowed it to sit while I showered, then rinsed. I got out, used a bit of Mielle Leave-in. I used the Mielle custard and my water spray bottle to style. This time I used that magic detangling brush that I stayed away from for myself and I liked how it detangled my hair. Normally I wasn’t detangling my hair. I would just apply some gel and keep it moving.

I smoothed the product in and separated my coils. Once I got to the crown, I added some Nairobi foam, since the custard wasn’t elongating my coils at all! I guess I have always liked foam or styling lotion over gel and custards.
I let my hair air dry and put my satin slouchy cap on. I’ll see how long this set lasts me. Probably will do it for 2-3 days.

oneastrocurlie

How often do you ladies do a thorough detangling? Since I like to wash twice a week, I’m wondering will I have to fully detangle twice a week?… I know the knots I was getting was from not detangling at all.. I really was not giving a hoot about my hair at all.. :badgirl::nono:

Hmmm. Every other wash I'd say. I wash every 5ish - 6ish days. One wash I'll just use a wide tooth. The other wash I'll use my Kazmaleje (sp?) and my 3 row comb (only on my nape since my coils are tighter back there).

GGsKin

After a lazy week under scarves, with a henna and fenugreek mask in, I finally decided to wash my hair. It's a coincidence that like Evolving78, I also detangled with a brush (Denman) during the shampoo stage while washing my hair. I mainly finger detangle, but since I cut some hair yesterday (mostly before washing), I wanted to make sure it was thoroughly detangled so I could better see the shape when styling and cleaning up. Just took these pics and the back is making me want to snip some more when I get home, but I know its probably from turning my head, so I'll leave it be.2022-11-14_16.08.10.jpg

Evolving78

After a lazy week under scarves, with a henna and fenugreek mask in, I finally decided to wash my hair. It's a coincidence that like Evolving78, I also detangled with a brush (Denman) during the shampoo stage while washing my hair. I mainly finger detangle, but since I cut some hair yesterday (mostly before washing), I wanted to make sure it was thoroughly detangled so I could better see the shape when styling and cleaning up. Just took these pics and the back is making me want to snip some more when I get home, but I know its probably from turning my head, so I'll leave it be.View attachment 484473
Are you gonna cut for more of a blunt look in the back?

Evolving78

Hmmm. Every other wash I'd say. I wash every 5ish - 6ish days. One wash I'll just use a wide tooth. The other wash I'll use my Kazmaleje (sp?) and my 3 row comb (only on my nape since my coils are tighter back there).
I bought a 3 row comb a year or so ago, and I think I threw it out.. I didn’t see a purpose in having it then..
I see people doing different things with it, so now I have a better understanding how to use it.

GettingKinky

How often do you ladies do a thorough detangling? Since I like to wash twice a week, I’m wondering will I have to fully detangle twice a week?… I know the knots I was getting was from not detangling at all.. I really was not giving a hoot about my hair at all.. :badgirl::nono:
I fully detangle every time I wash my hair which is almost always every 7 days. But if I do a mid week wash I fully detangle then too. When I wash 2x a week detangling is super quick.

Evolving78

I washed my hair today! Yay! Been tired physically, but I’m determined! Lol Ya’ll sorta trying out this new process of washing and detangling my hair. It’s more time consuming, but it’s necessary. Wash minute is starting to feel like Wash hour! Lol I am not about the Wash Day life anymore!

I decided after I styled to sit under the dryer, so that’s what I’m doing now. I didn’t want to go to bed with damp hair and mess up my set.
I used Cantù Comeback Curl Spray and Mielle Pomegranate custard. I added some water towards the end of styling my hair and saw that it foamed the products up, so now I’ll will do that. I like this combo, but I still love my Nairobi foam. I’m low on it and trying to save the little bit I have left. I dig the custard, but I wish I would have grabbed another bottle of Nairobi instead. The Custard is awesome on my DD’s hair.

How long do I have under this dang dryer? Lol Until my roots are completely dryer?

Evolving78

I got The Doux Super Sonic conditioner and I deeply regret it!! I should have gotten the Big Poppa Gel, or the mousse def. The conditioner felt like water. I would have been better off getting some Aussie Moist!! I needed some new conditioner that wasn’t going to break the budget, because my current one isn’t cutting it.
I trimmed my hair last night, and I did a wash and go today. That custard I have was giving me too much shrinkage! The more water I used, the more shrinkage!
I like the way gel gives me stretch and separation vs a custard. I’m not feeling detangling each section either. I had to fix my hair more to my liking after all the product was applied. I’m sitting under the dryer now. I guess I will see how long this will last before my hair needs water again.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Hair is soft under my scarf thingy.. It’s like a satin durag. I think I’m going to get a cheapy conditioner until I can get DE Rosemary conditioner, since I can’t do the Almond Butter. (I need slip) I’m not gonna mess with The Doux because it seems to have a lot of protein in it. I’m going to stop complaining about this custard, since I have a whole new jar of it..smh! I Think I will stick with the Honey Retention Shampoo and Rosemary Mint? Conditioner, (on my wish list) and I still have a bottle left of the Henna and Protein if I need a strong clarifier.

Evolving78

I tried raking and smoothing. I didn’t like my results. I like chunky curl clumps and raking made my hair look stringy. I will keep trying with different products to see if that makes a difference.

I finally tried the matrix a curl can dream products (except for the mask yet) and I am underwhelmed. my hair looks kind of dull. I will use less moisturizing cream to gel ratio to see if that helps next time
I don’t like chunky curl clumps since it makes my hair look like I could be a band mate for the group Ready For The World..

Evolving78

Here's my end of month check in. I'm letting it air dry now. I used ICV for the first time and I think it may get added to my regimen. It seemed to help hold the water in my hair better. We will see if it helps in this weather.

I can definitely tell that I need a mini shape.
View attachment 480271
My hair grows like that, but I have so much shrinkage, it can shrink down to 1 inch. I thought about getting a curly cut next year in the spring, but I like to occasionally wear a puff. I know my hair is going to look funky during the in-between stage though.

faithVA

My hair grows like that, but I have so much shrinkage, it can shrink down to 1 inch. I thought about getting a curly cut next year in the spring, but I like to occasionally wear a puff. I know my hair is going to look funky during the in-between stage though.
I get my hair cut so I can wear a puff. That was the first conversation we had. I just get maintenance cuts which clips the ends and keeps it somewhat even looking.

There wont be any tapers or bobs for me. I'm guessing it wont be long enough in the back for a nice shape until 2024.

My ends need maintenance cuts. I just accept that based on experience. But I think people should do what's best for them and get one only if they want and are ready. Lots of hair pushers out there. :lol:

faithVA

I bought a 3 row comb a year or so ago, and I think I threw it out.. I didn’t see a purpose in having it then..
I see people doing different things with it, so now I have a better understanding how to use it.
I wanted one of those but couldn't find it. Let me know if you find one.

faithVA

I got The Doux Super Sonic conditioner and I deeply regret it!! I should have gotten the Big Poppa Gel, or the mousse def. The conditioner felt like water. I would have been better off getting some Aussie Moist!! I needed some new conditioner that wasn’t going to break the budget, because my current one isn’t cutting it.
I trimmed my hair last night, and I did a wash and go today. That custard I have was giving me too much shrinkage! The more water I used, the more shrinkage!
I like the way gel gives me stretch and separation vs a custard. I’m not feeling detangling each section either. I had to fix my hair more to my liking after all the product was applied. I’m sitting under the dryer now. I guess I will see how long this will last before my hair needs water again.
Are there silicones in the doux conditioner? I could use a watery conditioner.

Evolving78

Yeah
Are there silicones in the doux conditioner? I could use a watery conditioner.
Let me check
No cones, but it does have coconut oil in the first 5 ingredients. Lawd.. I hope I don’t have any allergy issues.. I got so frustrated and overwhelmed trying to pick out something and the price point was decent..

it comes out thick, but I believe it’s design of the flip cap on the bottle. Once I rubbed it in, it felt like an extremely light weight leave-in.

DVAntDany

Hey everyone. Its been an uneventful few months. I've mainly stuck with the UFD+ICH+BG or PS combo. Those wash and goes lasted 7+ days. Once getting close to day 10 and beyond, the gel cast starts breaking down near my front hairline. I would have never known before because I washed so frequently.

Recently I was inspired to bite the bullet and finally purchase Set Mousse by Miche Beauty. It arrived Saturday and I have been experimenting with it. Day 1 is great. I'm still working on day 2 but this is the best mousse I've tried thus far. I believe I can get to day 3 without looking completely busted.

On Monday, I was impressed enough with my results to listen to Miche Monday's while taking care of livestock. Lucky me, I participated in the gift card challenge and won. I rarely win anything. So I take it as a sign to invest in their products for Black Friday.

I currently have two challenges with the product so far. First, I'm working on how to sleep with this product in my hair and not mess it up. Second, I have to find appropriate products to wash this out of my hair. I think its worth it to work out those challenges because I like the finished product.

I started with the sleep method of pulling down the buff on top of my hair. This caused my individual curls to be flattened as well as my hair over all. By day 3, my hair was really flat in weird places. This made me decide to look through Miche Beauty videos and see if they had any suggestions. Turns out that Michelle and Briana both do some sort of pineappling with their hair. In addition, they refresh which I haven’t done in ages.

So last night I pulled the buff up making my hair look like Marge Simpson. It essentially is like a pineapple with no scrunchy. I no longer have flat hair or flat curls, but there is more volume. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning aka day 3.

Day 1
16D89128-C3A1-4D56-A72D-E5D0552ABE00.jpeg

Day 2 (Pull Buff Down)
F0532BC9-9148-4478-8CCF-5A3039CF2CBF.jpeg

Day 2 Try Again (Pull Buff Up)
CD8D8C6A-614D-400D-82F6-C299FD1474F1.jpeg
Ignore the crooked glasses

Okay, so problem two is with washing my hair. I hate the way my hair feels and acts after mousse. It feels rough and tangly after washing unless I use a strong shampoo. This leads me to believe that I should switch cleansers. I washed my hair yesterday morning. If need be, I won’t be able to comfortably use Innersense Cream Hair Bath to cleanse

Now that I think of it, I’ve never shampooed with a shampoo from the same brand as a mousse/foam. If using a same brand shampoo is the key, this will be game changing for me. I will more readily put mouse/foam back into the rotation. I’ve relegated myself to washing my hair once a week to every 10 days because I can’t stand and don’t have the time to dry my hair for hours.

I just wanted to give you all an update.

EDIT: I lied. I use to use the Mielle Pom and Honey shampoo with their Pom and Honey mousse. Never had a problem with my hair back then but it wasn’t strong enough to clean my extremely oily scalp at the time. It’s been a very long time since I tried it and my texture has changed some from nearly 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Evolving78

My set from Monday is still in play, but I will be washing my hair tomorrow. I’m working on setting a schedule to wash my hair for consistency. So Sat and Wednesday, unless something happens and I need to wash sooner. Since I used The Doux Super Sonic as a leave-in, I wonder did it help in any way?

The Mielle has kept my hair from drying out, I just don’t like the feel of it on my hands during the application pro

I still need to get some more Mielle Pom leave-in.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I’m not sure if I like the raking method vs. shingling method. I have a TWA with major shrinkage. I have fine, medium to high density coils. To this day, I have such a hard time finding someone with a similar texture like mine.

I know I like volume, so the raking is suitable for that and I believe that’s why I prefer mousse/foam setting lotions. I liked using gel when my hair was super short and it defined my coils more.
I think I will pay more attention to which method I prefer as my hair grows, or what look I’m in the mood for that day.

Last edited:

faithVA

Hey everyone. Its been an uneventful few months. I've mainly stuck with the UFD+ICH+BG or PS combo. Those wash and goes lasted 7+ days. Once getting close to day 10 and beyond, the gel cast starts breaking down near my front hairline. I would have never known before because I washed so frequently.

Recently I was inspired to bite the bullet and finally purchase Set Mousse by Miche Beauty. It arrived Saturday and I have been experimenting with it. Day 1 is great. I'm still working on day 2 but this is the best mousse I've tried thus far. I believe I can get to day 3 without looking completely busted.

On Monday, I was impressed enough with my results to listen to Miche Monday's while taking care of livestock. Lucky me, I participated in the gift card challenge and won. I rarely win anything. So I take it as a sign to invest in their products for Black Friday.

I currently have two challenges with the product so far. First, I'm working on how to sleep with this product in my hair and not mess it up. Second, I have to find appropriate products to wash this out of my hair. I think its worth it to work out those challenges because I like the finished product.

I started with the sleep method of pulling down the buff on top of my hair. This caused my individual curls to be flattened as well as my hair over all. By day 3, my hair was really flat in weird places. This made me decide to look through Miche Beauty videos and see if they had any suggestions. Turns out that Michelle and Briana both do some sort of pineappling with their hair. In addition, they refresh which I haven’t done in ages.

So last night I pulled the buff up making my hair look like Marge Simpson. It essentially is like a pineapple with no scrunchy. I no longer have flat hair or flat curls, but there is more volume. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning aka day 3.

Day 1
View attachment 484583

Day 2 (Pull Buff Down)
View attachment 484585

Day 2 Try Again (Pull Buff Up)
View attachment 484587
Ignore the crooked glasses

Okay, so problem two is with washing my hair. I hate the way my hair feels and acts after mousse. It feels rough and tangly after washing unless I use a strong shampoo. This leads me to believe that I should switch cleansers. I washed my hair yesterday morning. If need be, I won’t be able to comfortably use Innersense Cream Hair Bath to cleanse

Now that I think of it, I’ve never shampooed with a shampoo from the same brand as a mousse/foam. If using a same brand shampoo is the key, this will be game changing for me. I will more readily put mouse/foam back into the rotation. I’ve relegated myself to washing my hair once a week to every 10 days because I can’t stand and don’t have the time to dry my hair for hours.

I just wanted to give you all an update.

EDIT: I lied. I use to use the Mielle Pom and Honey shampoo with their Pom and Honey mousse. Never had a problem with my hair back then but it wasn’t strong enough to clean my extremely oily scalp at the time. It’s been a very long time since I tried it and my texture has changed some from nearly 2 years ago.
I think all 3 days look great. Either way you go buff up or down looks good.

As far as your shampoo, are you using an all-purpose or an almost clarifying for your first shampoo and then following it up with a moisturizing shampoo? If you are using anything other than a gel or leave-in you may want to consider that if you aren't already doing that.

Innersense is more for just regular gel use and even then I believe the A's recommend using a more cleansing shampoo every other week.

faithVA

As far as cleansing I'm still following my same methods. As far as styling, I'm not feeling a curly set right now. I don't see one in my future until the weather warms up again.

Yesterday, I shampooed with TGIN shampoo and then with Madison Reed moisturizing shampoo. Since I'm not really being loving to my hair, I used the TGIN deep conditioner which I still love. I wore a plastic cap for a while and when I took it off my hair felt so butter soft. Being super lazy I still haven't rinsed it out. Instead I put in 4 flat twist on each side. My plan is to rinse later today but blow dry it and put flat twist back in. I think this is my go to until Spring.

Hopefully by Spring my hair will be longer and I feel more motivated to wear it curly :lol:

I was hoping K18 had a black friday sale but no dice. Just going to have to bite the bullet and pay full price. Need to go across town to Sephora and pick some up.