Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I understand what you mean. I have spirally coils underneath in the back. If I go heavy handed to ultra define them, they hang down like a tail. When I treat all my hair the same, it all curls up nicely. Hmm, I'm going to ask a question about that for you in the Q&A live today. That is if I can make it to it in time. I just want to know what they say.

Maybe you don't have telephone cord curls. Your hair is just way more spirally than mine. Its just a relative observation. My bad.

Lou's daughter's hair is incredible. I thought wrongly that my hair could curl up like that during my attempt at Lou's challenge. It just resulted in very weighed down hair. Your hair looks like it could spiral something like that.
I think I’ve asked a question like this before. I basically said my shrinkage was different every time I did my hair and they brushed me offf by saying my setting technique needed work, but they didn’t offer any specifics suggestions.

I’ll be curious to see what they tell you if you get a chance to ask.

faithVA

I'm planning to set my hair tomorrow but I may have to be on camera today, so I did a no suds cleanse, condition, detangle, gel andxputcit in a puff.

I'm thinking in the future i may get a cheap conditioner and detangle the day before a reset to shorten the time. As it gets longer I'm sure my detangling time will increase. I think i had this idea before but i wasn't wearing wash and goes often.

DVAntDany

I think I’ve asked a question like this before. I basically said my shrinkage was different every time I did my hair and they brushed me offf by saying my setting technique needed work, but they didn’t offer any specifics suggestions.

I’ll be curious to see what they tell you if you get a chance to ask.
I caught the tail end of the live and the Mighty Network App was acting up. I couldn’t find the comment section. Maybe I can try again when Aeleise finally does her Curl Play, but she might want to stay on topic with doing a flat twist out.

DVAntDany

I'm planning to set my hair tomorrow but I may have to be on camera today, so I did a no suds cleanse, condition, detangle, gel andxputcit in a puff.

I'm thinking in the future i may get a cheap conditioner and detangle the day before a reset to shorten the time. As it gets longer I'm sure my detangling time will increase. I think i had this idea before but i wasn't wearing wash and goes often.
This may sound like a dumb question. Are you going from wet hair to a puff?

That will probably work better than those pre wash custard products. Those things stop being detangling the longer you leave them in your hair. I’m not sure why they aren’t marketed as stylers.

DVAntDany

This is day 2. ICV is a trust-the-process product. I’m not a fan of these type of products. It’s not so bad, but I wanted more control, less frizz and less volume. I need to adjust the shape some. I’ll probably have an Afro by tomorrow. Also for some strange reason, light weight products leave my silkier pieces more frizzy than other parts of my hair.

BDED523D-440D-461E-A96D-B2C8A0FCA3ED.jpeg169E538D-BEDD-4577-90D8-2AF372C2A8EF.jpegC0DA2683-97A7-4E2F-B8A2-C0BDD29D6835.jpeg

faithVA

This may sound like a dumb question. Are you going from wet hair to a puff?

That will probably work better than those pre wash custard products. Those things stop being detangling the longer you leave them in your hair. I’m not sure why they aren’t marketed as stylers.
Yes, I'm going from wet hair to a puff. Right now the back of my hair is too short to really do a puff on dry hair. But I hope by the end of the year I can convert my wash and go to a puff at the end of its life :yep:

If you haven't noticed by now I'm not much of a product junky. I've tried so many things back in the day that I don't bother. Unless it is a sample I would never buy a pre-wash, co-wash, whatever they are called. People will rave about stuff and my hair is like Nope! :lol: I found that I can do the majority of what I need with conditioner.

DVAntDany

I think I finally understand why BGC pushes for the regular use of a hydrating shampoo made specifically for coarse hair after being officially detoxed. They promote shampooing all of the hair strands from root to tip. They say that it is needed to take off all of the products used on the hair for styling. The same goes before the use of treatment products like Olaplex.

Most cosmetologist and tricologists believe in selecting a regular shampoo (one outside of clarifying) based on hair and scalp type. Then shampooing the scalp only and letting the rinsed shampoo flow down the strands to cleanse the mid shafts and ends. They say that is enough to take off regular product buildup. All parties agree that over shampooing or using too harsh of a shampoo can damage hair and especially the ends.

This has me thinking. I dont’t like Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath for my scalp. Using it makes my scalp oily faster. I’m using it because it’s gentle on the hair strands. It feels like a cleansing conditioner instead of a real shampoo on my hair. The days I use AG Balance twice instead of AG Balance followed by Innersense HH, my scalp stays “fresh” so much longer and my hair turns out better.

If I can use products that easily rinse from my hair, I may be able to forgo using a shampoo not meant for my scalp/hair type. Then I can try shampooing the normal way. I need to figure out my styling product ratio first so that I can create a baseline. It’s just a thought.

faithVA

I think I finally understand why BGC pushes for the regular use of a hydrating shampoo made specifically for coarse hair after being officially detoxed. They promote shampooing all of the hair strands from root to tip. They say that it is needed to take off all of the products used on the hair for styling. The same goes before the use of treatment products like Olaplex.

Most cosmetologist and tricologists believe in selecting a regular shampoo (one outside of clarifying) based on hair and scalp type. Then shampooing the scalp only and letting the rinsed shampoo flow down the strands to cleanse the mid shafts and ends. They say that is enough to take off regular product buildup. All parties agree that over shampooing or using too harsh of a shampoo can damage hair and especially the ends.

This has me thinking. I dont’t like Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath for my scalp. Using it makes my scalp oily faster. I’m using it because it’s gentle on the hair strands. It feels like a cleansing conditioner instead of a real shampoo on my hair. The days I use AG Balance twice instead of AG Balance followed by Innersense HH, my scalp stays “fresh” so much longer and my hair turns out better.

If I can use products that easily rinse from my hair, I may be able to forgo using a shampoo not meant for my scalp/hair type. Then I can try shampooing the normal way. I need to figure out my styling product ratio first so that I can create a baseline. It’s just a thought.
Maybe you need something between AG and Innersense Hairbath. I dont like the hairbath even though it is recommended for my coily hair. I can use a pearlized (sp) shampoo for moisture but anything heavier than that is a no go. Hairbath for me is more like a cowash and just too heavy.

Although you like the double AG, maybe try a sample size of a salon product made for color treated hair and see if that is a good compromise. At least you will have something to put in rotation.

faithVA

I reset my hair this morning and it took as long as forever :lol: It takes forever for me to get the product off my hair and get it wet. I may need to use something to remove product to speed up that step.

Then I shampooed once, conditioned, detangled AGAIN.

I didn't put my hair into sections this time which works OK. I used 3 pumps of UFD throughout my hair and then used smaller pumps to hit up the roots. I'm not sure if that was enough but it is a start. I then added water. I tried to get it to feel like I did when I go to the salon. I think I did pretty well.

Then I added 1 pump of ICH. I was going to add 2 and realized that 1 pump seemed like enough. I decided not to over do it. I added about a dime size of Trepadora Bamboo.

I started separating into small sections and smoothing. I was trying to do like my stylist and smooth until the hair separated and I got it to work. But then I got into that "Ah Lawd this will take all day phase" :lol: And I just couldn't bring myself to do it for my entire head. So I took bigger sections and smoothed and then 1 raked once and then I smoothed. Then I leaned to the side and shook gently.

I have an obsession which raking which I am trying to break. Raking leads to my feeling like I have to detangle my roots and leads to other things. And I like to shake but I think if I shake vigorously I lose to much product and water from my hair.

20230217_125344_copy_992x980.jpg

I'm going to leave the playing around with smoothing for the weekends when I don't have to rush and then just focus on 1 section like my right size which needs more attention.

Evolving78

Has anyone used a hair paint/wax on wash and go hair? I’m so happy I don’t have to be conservative with my hair. I want to color, but I don’t want to be bothered with bleaching and coloring..
I only have two gels left. I’m going to use the rest of the African Pride gel and mousse. I want to save the custard I have left for my DD. Since I’m digging the Cantù shampoo (red bottle) I will pick up the conditioner. I need to line my hair up too before I wash it today.

Last edited:

OhTall1

@OhTall1 Your hair has grown a lot. How long was it between the first picture and the last one?
The longest one was last August. The oldest one was February 2019. I stopped getting it cut into a short taper in 2020 and I think I may finally be past the awkward in between stage on the sides. My hairpins and headbands were working overtime to give my hair some shape. :lachen: This was from earlier this week.
1676741344009.png

ckisland

I tried a new conditioner for wash day and I'm in love!!! Carol's Daughter Goddess Strength Fortifying Conditioner is the bomb!!!! Great smell! Awesome slip! Left my hair very moisturized.

I shampooed with Lady's First. Conditioned and detangled with my KISS detangling brush. It's got a better handle shape than my Tangle Teezer brush, so my hand and arm didn't hurt. I styled with Big Poppa under Mousse Def. I did 8 sections and did all smoothing.

I realized that I don't have any pics of my hair wet, so I decided to take some.
20230218_191808.jpg20230218_191723.jpg20230218_191656.jpg

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did a wash and go with proclaim curl activator. I hate the way my hair looks. It doesnt blend the two textures. My roots are poofy and the end are silky and defined. My hair is not shiny either I could have went longer with my last wash an go but my hair felt so dry.

Mapleoats

just finished up twisting my hair with another product combo and tried to follow some of the tips you gave @DVAntDany. I used Melanin Haircare styler as my base (no glycerin in the first 10+ ingredients) and a double topper of wetline followed by The Doux MD. I'm hoping this one fairs better to humidity.

BUT I think after this I am going to start playing with my wash n go. I applied the products with a combination of raking and smoothing described by @GettingKinky and @ckisland and I honestly think I could have a cute wash n go. That's not a thought I've really had about my hair before.

here's some pics of sections of my hair with the products applied. I have a lot of different textures in different section of my hair. I really wonder how it would have dried had I not twisted it up

FBF3074F-0065-4671-B561-39FC1D8A1FA6.jpegA7DE5820-C76C-4E91-A6AE-6800E901F7BC.jpeg09A22C9D-7D18-4FBB-9E0B-DC2A7FC661F9.jpegC844E4AF-8F70-4B53-BE54-A7A224913167.jpeg