Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

oneastrocurlie

First wash and go of 2020 as I just took out a protective style. Used my usual combo of UFD and Doux foam. I took my time raking so I have more definition. The wetter my hair the better. I'm realizing my shrinkage isn't the same all over as it grows out. I'm getting my color covered over next month. Looking forward to that.

faithVA

I started my 30 day detox today. I don't think I will be able to wear a wng any time soon. I'm going to need to detox and put my hair into flat twist and then try a wng again next month.

I clarified twice using the Elucence Clarifying shampoo. Then I cleansed with the Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo. I used Curl Junkie Smoothie Conditioner. This doesn't really have enough slip for my hair which is why I was doing oil rinsing. I let the conditioner sit for 10 minutes. Then I added more water and conditioner. I finger detangled, used a wide tooth comb and then used my Wet Brush.

I had a good amount of water in my hair when I rinsed, at least I thought I did. I used UFD. After putting the product in, I added more water. I didn't add the holding product but I will the next time I try a wng. I tried to define outside the shower. Not much separation happening in my hair. I kept adding product and water until I got tired.

I haven't gotten my dryer yet so air drying right now. Of course my hair won't be anywhere near dry in the next 3 hours. I think I may just use a blow dryer and try to dry it a bit so I can go to bed.

I definitely need a cut but I need to be able to wear a wng for at least 2 days before I cut my hair. I still need to be able to put it into flat twist.

I open to any suggestions, if anyone has any.

After the moisturizing shampoo

HairAfterClarifyAndShampooFront.jpg HairAfterClarifyAndShampooSide.jpg

Conditioner is just sitting on my hair but it got better after letting it sit for 10 minutes
HairWithConditiioner.jpg

After what seemed like a ton of gel
HairWithGel.jpg

metro_qt

First wash and go of 2020 as I just took out a protective style. Used my usual combo of UFD and Doux foam. I took my time raking so I have more definition. The wetter my hair the better. I'm realizing my shrinkage isn't the same all over as it grows out. I'm getting my color covered over next month. Looking forward to that.
Covered over? Are you going to a darker colour all over?

GettingKinky

I started my 30 day detox today. I don't think I will be able to wear a wng any time soon. I'm going to need to detox and put my hair into flat twist and then try a wng again next month.

I clarified twice using the Elucence Clarifying shampoo. Then I cleansed with the Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo. I used Curl Junkie Smoothie Conditioner. This doesn't really have enough slip for my hair which is why I was doing oil rinsing. I let the conditioner sit for 10 minutes. Then I added more water and conditioner. I finger detangled, used a wide tooth comb and then used my Wet Brush.

I had a good amount of water in my hair when I rinsed, at least I thought I did. I used UFD. After putting the product in, I added more water. I didn't add the holding product but I will the next time I try a wng. I tried to define outside the shower. Not much separation happening in my hair. I kept adding product and water until I got tired.

I haven't gotten my dryer yet so air drying right now. Of course my hair won't be anywhere near dry in the next 3 hours. I think I may just use a blow dryer and try to dry it a bit so I can go to bed.

I definitely need a cut but I need to be able to wear a wng for at least 2 days before I cut my hair. I still need to be able to put it into flat twist.

View attachment 454737 View attachment 454739

Conditioner is just sitting on my hair but it got better after letting it sit for 10 minutes
View attachment 454741

View attachment 454743

That’s a great start! Are you enjoying the digital salon?
The thing I realized after I was there awhile was that although they talk about the 30 day detox, many of the women there say it took much longer for their hair to become fully hydrated. Like 6-9 months. So after 2 months of membership I decided to follow their recommendations on my own. I think when I reach the 6 month mark I may rejoin for another month or 2.
When I got my first Dev cut I was still using oil/butters. When I went back about 2 months after I gave them up, my stylist commented that my hair was in better shape and she used fewer products when she styled my hair.
They keep talking about how the whole thing is a process and to be patient, but I had a really hard time with that. But now that I’ve been doing this for 4 months I’ve become more patient/accepting.

oneastrocurlie

View attachment 454737 View attachment 454739

View attachment 454741

View attachment 454743

Those elucence shampoos are super concentrated. I typically only do one lather of the clarifying and one of the moisture one. Using the clarifying one twice might have been a lot for your hair.

I DC with heat 99% of the time. I have a hot head like cap I made myself. Even the most stubborn DCs seem better with heat.

I don't squeeze out water after I rinse out my DC. I add my leave in, add more water, rake my leave in more and put my towel over my hair and go straight to styling.

So my hair is still super wet once I section and add UFD curly magic.

faithVA

That’s a great start! Are you enjoying the digital salon?
The thing I realized after I was there awhile was that although they talk about the 30 day detox, many of the women there say it took much longer for their hair to become fully hydrated. Like 6-9 months. So after 2 months of membership I decided to follow their recommendations on my own. I think when I reach the 6 month mark I may rejoin for another month or 2.
When I got my first Dev cut I was still using oil/butters. When I went back about 2 months after I gave them up, my stylist commented that my hair was in better shape and she used fewer products when she styled my hair.
They keep talking about how the whole thing is a process and to be patient, but I had a really hard time with that. But now that I’ve been doing this for 4 months I’ve become more patient/accepting.

I'm not sure I would say I'm enjoying it. I am giving it a try to see how it works out. I do like that there is someone there I can ask questions of. But it's too early for me to have a real opinion of it. I will need to some improvement in my hair before I can have any type of judgment.

In 30 days I'm just hoping to see some improvement. Right now I can't wear my hair out at all unless I straighten it. So if I can get to a point where I can even do a wng puff I would consider that an improvement. I know people are looking for 4 to 7 day hair. I'm just trying to get to 2 days :lol: I have never even been able to wear a wng for 24 hours.

If I've made improvement by the end of the month I will just sign up for a year, so I can get regular help because I'm going to need that.

I can say I really did like the Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo. Several ladies on this board had mentioned it before. I just never purchased it.

faithVA

Those elucence shampoos are super concentrated. I typically only do one lather of the clarifying and one of the moisture one. Using the clarifying one twice might have been a lot for your hair.

I DC with heat 99% of the time. I have a hot head like cap I made myself. Even the most stubborn DCs seem better with heat.

I don't squeeze out water after I rinse out my DC. I add my leave in, add more water, rake my leave in more and put my towel over my hair and go straight to styling.

So my hair is still super wet once I section and add UFD curly magic.
Thank you @oneastrocurlie. I clarified twice because I have not clarified my hair in years. And since I had castor oil and I have used a demi-permanent for several months I thought it might be best. I clarified once but I could see the water still beading up on my hair, so I went for the 2nd one. It seemed to help. When I followed with the moisturizing shampoo it was really nice.

It may have been too much but I'm not sure. And since I'm only do it this one time I will have time to recover.

Thanks for the other tips.

GettingKinky

I'm not sure I would say I'm enjoying it. I am giving it a try to see how it works out. I do like that there is someone there I can ask questions of. But it's too early for me to have a real opinion of it. I will need to some improvement in my hair before I can have any type of judgment.

In 30 days I'm just hoping to see some improvement. Right now I can't wear my hair out at all unless I straighten it. So if I can get to a point where I can even do a wng puff I would consider that an improvement. I know people are looking for 4 to 7 day hair. I'm just trying to get to 2 days :lol: I have never even been able to wear a wng for 24 hours.

If I've made improvement by the end of the month I will just sign up for a year, so I can get regular help because I'm going to need that.

I can say I really did like the Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo. Several ladies on this board had mentioned it before. I just never purchased it.

I have the Elucence moisture shampoo and the conditioner and I really like both. When I finish the shampoo I may try the Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath. They swear by it over there.

faithVA

I have the Elucence moisture shampoo and the conditioner and I really like both. When I finish the shampoo I may try the Innersense Hydrating Cream Hairbath. They swear by it over there.

I'm thinking I will have that shampoo for 2 years :look:

I have heard good things about the Hairbath.

I put my pics up with my steps and have gotten feedback which I like. I will try the revised steps tomorrow and sit under the dryer and see how it goes. I'm re-reading them now to make sure I have them in my head before I get in the shower.

I used too much gel because my hair is sticky. But it is soft. I used a blowdryer to get it dry enough so I can sleep. My hair looks terrible but it feels good :lachen:

GettingKinky

I'm thinking I will have that shampoo for 2 years :look:

I have heard good things about the Hairbath.

I put my pics up with my steps and have gotten feedback which I like. I will try the revised steps tomorrow and sit under the dryer and see how it goes. I'm re-reading them now to make sure I have them in my head before I get in the shower.

I used too much gel because my hair is sticky. But it is soft. I used a blowdryer to get it dry enough so I can sleep. My hair looks terrible but it feels good :lachen:

I have the liter bottle of the shampoo and I think it will last me a really long time. I only use a quarter size each time. But I’ve started shampooing twice each time I wash my hair and I wash 2x a week so maybe I will finish it within a year.

faithVA

I have the liter bottle of the shampoo and I think it will last me a really long time. I only use a quarter size each time. But I’ve started shampooing twice each time I wash my hair and I wash 2x a week so maybe I will finish it within a year.

Why do you wash twice a week?

Shadow_Lace

I found a new favorite combo!

I washed with Nature's Little Secret Cucumber Nourishing Shampoo. Next, I used NLS Rose Hydrating Conditioner as my d/c and detangler. I sectioned my hair into 6s.

I smoothed NLS Irish Moss Styling Cream, followed by Xtreme Clear Gel onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

faithVA

By day 3 or 4 I have more frizz than I like so I wash again to rehydrate and restyle my hair. I tried cowashing instead but I didn’t like the results. If I’m feeling lazy on one of my wash days I just wear a low pony/puff.
Thanks for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense. Will keep that in mind.

faithVA

I took my buff off this morning and fluffed my hair. I put on headband and rocked that shrunken wng all day. My hair was so soft and not as sticky as last night.

My dryer came today so redoing it to see what it looks like when I dry it so I have a baseline of where I started.

I tried just rinsing my hair but I had put on way too much gel. I did a quick shampoo with the Elucence which helped. I conditioned with Curl Junkie and detangled with my Conair brush. I used the Uncle Funky's daughter gel and let that sit on my hair 10 minutes. I followed that up with 2 pumps of Design Essential Styling Foam on each side. It dried a bit too much because it takes me forever to work the gel through. I will get better.

Now I'm sitting under the dryer. I have it set on medium. Not sure if that is high enough. My scalp doesn't like high so I'm going to try medium for a while.

Have no idea how this will turn out. If it's a fail, not sure what I'm going to do in the morning :lol:

faithVA

It was a fail. I need to add more water. But I did get to test out my dryer. Most of my hair dried in 45 minutes on medium. And now I know if its a fail I can put it in a puff. I will wear a puff tomorrow. Tomorrow night I will rinse and just put in flat twist.

faithVA

Wngs are on the shelf for now. Back to my flat twist. I will come back when I try them again in a month or so.

GettingKinky

Aisha (sp) suggested I not do wngs right now but stick to twist and let my hair get more hydrated.

My puff was OK. I wore it to work and it didn't draw up too much. I don't think I could have worn it 2 days.

That makes sense. My hair held moisture much better when I wore it in a twisted bun.

Kiaray8

I’ve noticed more length retention with my WNGs as I did a quick length check. I’m trying to find a leave in now that will work well with the camile rose curl maker as I used different line products and got flakes (this may be because I’m heavy handed). I tried with the curl milk and my hair is actually dry so back to the thinking board I think.

Shadow_Lace

A mostly Nature's Little Secret wash n go

I clarified with NLS Cucumber Nourishing Shampoo. Next, I used the NLS Rose Hydrating Conditioner as my d/c and detangler. I sectioned my hair into 6s.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed on NLS Avocado Moisture Cream, then re-sectioned my hair.
(On wet-damp hair) I smoothed NLS Flax seed Curly Custard onto each section.
Finally, I used CurlMix Serum (Rose Scent) as a sealant.

I decided to try the improved formula of the Flax seed gel. I hated the 1st version!
But this application was definitely better.

CurlyWhoCrux

I sort of put wash n gos on hold after I realized my hair is lacking protein. I’ve been trying to implement more protein into my daily routine. I don’t want to speak too soon but I think I’m noticing a difference. Losing way less hair, easier to detangle, ends are more defined I think? In general, I feel like I’m seeing a slight wave to my hair that wasn’t there before. I’ve only been doing this for about a month so we’ll see what happens. Today was the first time I put gel in my hair since starting this protein routine and I noticed my hair seemed more defined even tho I didn’t really section my hair or take my time because I was rushing. I think lack of protein has been the underlying issue of all of my hair troubles (excessive dryness, lack of definition, really low elasticity/next to no bounce back).

faithVA

I tried the Shea Moisture Gel tonight :perplexed: It was like putting water on my hair. It completely confused me. I will try it again on wash day. If it doesn't work I will just toss it. It was very weird.

Shadow_Lace

Total CurlMix Repair w/Rose Hip Oil & Aloe Vera Gel (Rose Scent) wash n go

I washed with CM Aloe Vera Shampoo. Next, I used the CM Grape Seed Conditioner as my r/o and detangler.
I sectioned into 6s.

On soaking wet hair I smoothed the CM Avocado Moisturizer, followed by the CM Flax Seed Gel onto each section.
I used the CM Serum as a sealant.

Note: the CurlMix Flax Seed Gel is a very runny/watery product and it works best on soaking wet hair.

I'll see how this dries, what kind of hold, etc.
Then I'll come back with which Flax Seed product/brand I prefer and why:

Nature's Little Secret vs. CurlMix