Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Shadow_Lace

How did you find the Aunt Jackie's hold over time? I used this last week and the wash and go was perfect I didn't use a leave in beforehand. I just made sure to use an extra moisturising deep conditioner (Eden Bodyworks jojoba and monoi deep conditioner) before applying the gel on my hair straight out of the shower. My hair was very soft throughout the week and lasted 7 days without issue.

The 1st time, was just a trial run.
I found out some areas would still need at least a light leave-in.
The second time I used it, the hold was still going strong for nearly 4 days.

I would like to wear a wash n go longer... but I have a very oily scalp, and roots that will start matting past 4 days.
I usually wash every 3-4 days to avoid the scalp buildup and tangles/matting issues.

Shadow_Lace

3+ days without sleep threw me all the way off!

I clarified with Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo. Next, I used Not Your Mother's Curl Talk Curl Masque as my d/c and detangler.
I sectioned my hair into 6s.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls, then re-sectioned my hair.
(On damp hair) I smoothed Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

The Multicultural Curls is 1 of the few products, I can apply to damp hair. And still even my low porosity area will remain moisturized this way.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I am trying to get back on the wash n go bandwagon. On Monday, I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic with As I Am curling smoothie. The hold was too light and it wasn't moisturizing enough. I got great first day hair and dry, frizzy city on the days after.

GettingKinky

I am trying to get back on the wash n go bandwagon. On Monday, I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic with As I Am curling smoothie. The hold was too light and it wasn't moisturizing enough. I got great first day hair and dry, frizzy city on the days after.

Did you use a lot of water with the uncle funky? That should help your hair hold more water.

faithVA

I'm not sure if my hair is packed down to my head because my hair isn't hydrated enough? I'm using too much gel or because I'm using too much foam? I think tomorrow I will just use gel to see what it looks like. :perplexed:

water_n_oil

I need to find something as good as the AP Curling Cream that won't break me out. May also whip up a batch of OhGinelle's eco custard recipe.

faithVA

I got the answer to my question. I skipped the foam and my hair looks so much better. I could be using too much foam or I don't need foam at all. I think foam has too much hold and keeps my curls from curling up. It gives me a lot of volume though. I may try it again and use way less. For now I'm just going to stick with the gel so I can track progress.

Today, I have the best wash and go I've ever had. My coilies are coiling and my hair looks more hydrated than usual. I have definition along 50% of the strand but my roots are still working to get definition. The right side where it is gray, still needs more hydration but it has improved since Saturday. So I'll take it.

Now I need a cut because that breakage left my hair super uneven. Hopefully I can get one before I go back to work.

I got my InnerSense Hydrating Bath and I Create Hold. I will try it all out this weekend. And maybe sit under the dryer :look:

My blow dryer was delivered yesterday and I like it. It isn't too loud and warm is warm enough. I will probably diffuse much more often than I sit under the dryer.

GettingKinky

You can but keep in mind the principle of putting botanicals directly on your hair versus plastics. ICH is more plastic than botanical. Just an fyi.

Good point, but it washes off pretty easily. Or does it only wash off easily if it’s on top of the UFD?

faithVA

Good point, but it washes off pretty easily. Or does it only wash off easily if it’s on top of the UFD?
I think it will seem to wash off easily but you may have to clarify or almost clarify more often. It's just something to keep in mind. Doesn't mean you can't try it. I would be interested to see how much you use for a wash and go vs UFD.

Shadow_Lace

I washed the length of my hair only with The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Shampoo.
For my scalp and hair, I used Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheat Grass Cleansing Tea (w/ Wheat Grass & Barley).
Nature's Little Secret Rose Hydrating Conditioner as my d/c and detangler.
I sectioned my hair into 6s.

(On soaking wet hair) I sprayed TMC Endless Moisture Tropical Moringa Sweet Oil & Honey Restorative Spray, then re-sectioned my hair.
(On damp hair) I smoothed Aunt Jackie's Grape Seed Ice Curls Glossy Jelly onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

I used the TMC Ancient Egyptian Shampoo, because it a has a gentle silicone-removing ingredient: Cocamidopropyl Betaine.

Otherwise, I would've just used the Qhemet Biologics Cleansing Tea.

On that note, this cleansing tea is great!

I picked it up mainly for the anti-shedding/strengthening ingredients.

I mean this totally beats any of the other anti-shedding products (that I've used).
There was little-to-no breakage, during and after detangling!
Barely any shedding during styling.
3 strands from my entire head! That is unprecedented for my hair!

Definitely found a keeper! :yep:

GettingKinky

I think it will seem to wash off easily but you may have to clarify or almost clarify more often. It's just something to keep in mind. Doesn't mean you can't try it. I would be interested to see how much you use for a wash and go vs UFD.

Right now I’m pretty heavy handed with the UFD and the ICH. I apply the UFD to my hair in large sections and then do the split and swipe technique that Aisha does.
I apply the ICH in very small sections so that all my strands get good coverage.
It’s working well for me, but I don’t like the way UFD smells so if I could eliminate it, that would be great.

uofmpanther

I'm trying something new because UFD doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I did a clay treatment that I left on my hair for a couple days out of laziness/life. Today, I cowashed with Oyin.

Then I put As I Am CocoaShea Whip and UFD on. I started putting Lotta Body Foaming Mousse on the right side of my hair but that seemed to be too light to control the frizz. On the left side, I used OGX Coconut Curls Mousse instead. It feels like the OGX is helping with the frizz but we shall see when it dries.

ETA: didn't work. In addition to frizz, I got high shrinkage. There was also some light flaking on the OGX side. I'm half tempted to wash again tomorrow. Maybe I need a better leave-in.

Last edited:

faithVA

I received my Innersense Hydrating HairBath and I Create Hold yesterday. I tried them out today. I can't say that I'm in love with either. I didn't find the HairBath to be that moisturizing. I felt like Elucence was more moisturizing. I can't imagine using that every 3 days. I will need to find another moisturizing shampoo to use in between.

I also tried the I Create Hold (ICH). I did 1 pump and realized that I better not use any more :lol: One pump was more than my hair wanted. Both of these products are going to be tucked away to be used later.

My hair looked better yesterday but I learned some things. I really don't need that much gel. I need to get my hair as wet as possible in the shower, add the gel, add some water and then squish and smooth. I need to define quickly and keep additional gel applications to a minimum. Right now I don't think I need any type of holding product.

I need my hair to be as wet as possible while defining and when drying.

So tomorrow I going to try to keep it simple and my product application light.

It is going to take me a while but I'm making some progress. I wore my wng out today so it was good enough.

GettingKinky

@faithVA I’m glad you liked your wash n go enough to wear outside. That’s awesome progress! :drunk:

The ICH is really thick/sticky. I use a lot, but only like 1/8 of a pump at a time to very small sections.

faithVA

@faithVA I’m glad you liked your wash n go enough to wear outside. That’s awesome progress! :drunk:

The ICH is really thick/sticky. I use a lot, but only like 1/8 of a pump at a time to very small sections.

Yes it is progress. Yesterday's wash and go was even better. I'm definitely making progress. I reset each day and each day I can see the progress. I'm scheduled to get a cut May 1st if Covid let's up. Unfortunately, that means I will have to go to work for a week or two with this crazy lopside hair :nono: But it won't be the first time, so I will just suck it up.

With the ICH, I used 1 pump for my entire head and it was too much. :nono: I will keep working to get my gel and water ratio right first and then try it again. I think I need way less gel than I'm using.

I knew as soon as I put the ICH in my hand that it was probably going to be an issue. It was like I could feel the plastic in it :lol: It reminds me of Wetline which I absolutely cannot use.

The good news is, I will probably have that bottle for the entire year.

faithVA

Right now I’m pretty heavy handed with the UFD and the ICH. I apply the UFD to my hair in large sections and then do the split and swipe technique that Aisha does.
I apply the ICH in very small sections so that all my strands get good coverage.
It’s working well for me, but I don’t like the way UFD smells so if I could eliminate it, that would be great.

Maybe you can ask your stylist to recommend another gel. My concern with the ICH, is using those polymers directly on your hair overtime may cause your hair some distress.

uofmpanther

I'm trying something new because UFD doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I did a clay treatment that I left on my hair for a couple days out of laziness/life. Today, I cowashed with Oyin.

Then I put As I Am CocoaShea Whip and UFD on. I started putting Lotta Body Foaming Mousse on the right side of my hair but that seemed to be too light to control the frizz. On the left side, I used OGX Coconut Curls Mousse instead. It feels like the OGX is helping with the frizz but we shall see when it dries.

ETA: didn't work. In addition to frizz, I got high shrinkage. There was also some light flaking on the OGX side. I'm half tempted to wash again tomorrow. Maybe I need a better leave-in.

Picture of second day hair. It's a little better
20200329_095243_copy_495x660.jpg

faithVA

why did you put on a plastic cap?
Sometimes I need to do too many things between the time I get out of the shower and I get back to defining my hair. My hair still doesn't hold moisture long so I was hoping it would help hold the moisture in. It definitely held moisture in but way too much.

In the future if I need to delay the gel, I will try putting on the plastic cap after I rinse out the conditioner and when I'm finished with what I need to do try putting on the gel.