Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

oneastrocurlie

I’m looking forward to washing & styling my hair tomorrow. My schedule will be wash days on Tuesday and Friday (because I can start as soon as I’m done with work). I’ll have to turn the fan on to dry before bed, though. I need a diffuser; the devacurl hand shaped one is on my shortlist unless anyone has a different suggestion....?

Reading the posts in the gel+mousse/mousse only/mousse+gel discussion made me realize: my stylist TALKED about mousse over gel to get rid of gel’s lasting stickiness but what she DID was gel over mousse which had much softer hold and less definition.

I have that orange con air that came with diffuser attachment. No complaints. I use a standing hooded dryer now.

faithVA

@LavenderMint I’m in the camp that the product with hold (or the most hold, if you later gels) should be the first product on your hair. So, I don’t use a leave in unless I’m going to a softer set.

I know others in the thread always use a leave in and that works for them.

That’s why rigid rules don’t really work for me, who is anyone to say what’s “right.” Even the professionals disagree.
I agree. If I use a leave-in, my hair won't coil at all. But I also can't put the product with the most hold on first either. You are right, you have to listen to your hair and not do hard and fast rules.

faithVA

Has anyone seen a finger coil tool? The stylist I saw on Saturday used one. It was smooth, black and the size of a small screwdriver. He used it all over, even on my sides which are relatively short right now. I didn't ask him about it while I was there because I thought "I'm never going to put that much effort into finger coils." Then I changed my mind. I figured it would be easy enough to find of the internet but nope.

I saw a few out on the web, but not sure based on your description, if any of them match. I bought this one years ago.

I never did get it to work. I always ended coiling with my fingers while it was short.

Shadow_Lace

My regular pre-wash routine...
I tend to switch up the detangling agents (conditioners, etc.) as needed, but they're basically what has the most slip & the easiest application.
This time I used the Herbal Essences Smooth Rose Hips conditioner as my detangling agent.
Eventually got 6 braids, of 3 sections, on either side of my thoroughly detangled hair.

I'm so glad I decided to pay more attention to my environment (climate, dew points/humidity, etc.) and how this affects ingredients.
'Cause this year, has delivered some real topsy-turvy weather!

I clarified with Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo.
Next, I used Miche INDULGE Moisturizing Deep Conditioner as my dc.

1 by 1, I rinsed out the dc.
After unraveling the braids, I checked for knots/tangles & shed hair, then...
(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed The Mane Choice Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner, then re-sectioned my hair.

(On wet hair) I raked, then smoothed Xtreme Clear gel onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

Let's just say learning about dew points and the most beneficial ingredients for each segment: low, medium, high...
Has been the most eye-opening teaching moment going forward.
I'm consistently learning as I go!
It's really fascinating for me!

Britt

Fourth day hair with KCKT and KCCC. No refreshing. This might be taking UFD curly magic and mousse top spot for longevity and still looking decent at day four.
View attachment 464713
I love this !!!!! Looks so good especially with the cut. I like my hair day 3/4 when my wash and go looks more lived in lol.

How are you using the KCKT and KCC? I find using the KCKT underneath makes the KCC start to pill even when I put them in my hand together they don't quite blend. Also, do you dilute the custard?

oneastrocurlie

I love this !!!!! Looks so good especially with the cut. I like my hair day 3/4 when my wash and go looks more lived in lol.

How are you using the KCKT and KCC? I find using the KCKT underneath makes the KCC start to pill even when I put them in my hand together they don't quite blend. Also, do you dilute the custard?

Thank you!

I apply the KCKT right after I rinse out my conditioner. No towel drying. Just soaking wet. (I split my hair into four at this step too just make my life easier and throw on one of those turban towels just to catch any dripping water). Then I apply the KCCC right after in small sections. I break one of my four sections into 4-5 sections I'd say. My hair is pretty wet through the whole process. Then I sit under my dryer

I think my hair being so wet keeps it from pilling up.

GettingKinky

Thank you!

I apply the KCKT right after I rinse out my conditioner. No towel drying. Just soaking wet. (I split my hair into four at this step too just make my life easier and throw on one of those turban towels just to catch any dripping water). Then I apply the KCCC right after in small sections. I break one of my four sections into 4-5 sections I'd say. My hair is pretty wet through the whole process. Then I sit under my dryer

I think my hair being so wet keeps it from pilling up.

That’s exactly my process when I use kinky curly. Except I do it all in the shower, so no towel to catch dripping water.

Britt

So I went and got a trim on Friday and my hair is a little shorter than I'd like. I think it grew pretty nicely since my last trim which was in June. I went to a new stylist. On the plus side, my curls feel really good it's just that I was liking the fact that my wash and go was getting a little longer and bigger. Next time I will tell her only trim a small amount.

LavenderMint

:catfight: @oneastrocurlie

Your hair looks stunning!

I’m not buying another hair product until 2021 unless it’s a re-up of something I’ve used up. I hope.:drunk:
Same. I was in the Shea butter love thread for a while and didn’t use a lot of my other products. So I have quite a few other things to use up.

I just started the videos in the digital salon and they were saying not to run out and buy products yet lol I just peeked at my stash and cackled.

LavenderMint

This is fascinating to me because those two never pill or curdle on me. I put the KCKT on damp hair, do my whole head in about 12-14 sections, then I do the gel the same way.
I’ve only ever had wetline and eco style gels curdle on me with any leave-in.

Britt

This is fascinating to me because those two never pill or curdle on me. I put the KCKT on damp hair, do my whole head in about 12-14 sections, then I do the gel the same way.
I’ve only ever had wetline and eco style gels curdle on me with any leave-in.
Wow! Even when I use a small amount it pills, just less pilling lol. Even my hands feel a little tacky.

Britt

Vent ahead.
My hair is cut much shorter. I can really see it now in my wash n go. What's annoying me mostly is that not only is it visibly shorter, it's not cut with a real shape. That's what's really bothering me. While my hair was shorter to begin with, it was cut in a tapered flow so my wash and gos had shape and style even while it's poofy, now my hair just looks shorter but not flattering to the length.

I went to a new stylist and I like how she took better care of my hair than my usual stylist and she's substantially closer to me, which is a huge plus. Now my hair just looks short and curly and blah :cry3: :cry3::cry3:. I am bothered :censored: :bangdesk: . I was getting some good length also so when my wash n go's got older they got bigger with more volume. Now it's just short and stupid. I know I can't curse here, but I'm tight! I'm just incredibly frustrated with trying to find a stylist whose chair I can just sit in and not even think about anything. I specifically told the stylist I only wear wash n go's and that shape is everything. She agreed. I told her just a trim and to keep the shape.

Britt

@Britt oh nooo! did she cut your hair while it was curly?

That sucks. I’m tight for you. But you know how to retain length! Would you consider getting your hair cut into a shape so you like it better while it grows out?

Post a picture!
Awwww Thank you guys :bighug:
I don’t want to cut it any shorter bc I want to grow it out. It doesn’t look terrible or bad it just isn’t as styled and tapered as it was before. It’s just blah now. I’m so happy I started doing wash n go’s and plan to stick to them as a primary main style. But bc of the shrinkage I can only wear my hair out bc of the length so I was looking forward to when I could pull it back loosely. She totally changed the shape with the cut. My nape is quite short.

LavenderMint

Finished my wash. Took longer than expected. Learned a LOT.
  • African Pride Pre-Shampoo detangler is still the BEST.
  • UFD is not a gel I can use to refresh.
    I thought my sick son had managed to get a booger in my hair (he’s got his first cold). It gummed up my sink strainer. After 3 washes with various shampoos, it wouldn’t come out of my hair- Aussie Moist, HE blue ginger something or other, KCCC. For the first time in my life EVER, I washed my hair with DAWN. I know it was UFD because it was only the parts I had gone over when my hair lost definition.
  • Deep conditioned with Curl Junkie Curl Rehab & Crece Pelo (CP after all the washing in the front)
  • Used Carols Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-in Conditioner spray
Followed with Curl Junkie Aloe Fix gel. I am entirely too heavy handed but I’m always afraid of not having enough hold. .....I used most of a 16oz jar.

My hair dries out quickly on the ends so I made sure they were wet with water before I sprayed the leave-in. I’m undecided if I want to mess with any mousse this time around. My hair so far looks pretty good and although I didn’t like my cut as it fluffed out, I am loving the ease of detangling. My hair defines root to tip in 90% of my head, and this is the first time I’ve had ZERO issues with parting or detangling my hair.
A good haircut is like magic.
I’ll post a picture once I’m dry... sitting in front of a fan so hopefully I'm dry before bed.

LavenderMint

It took a long time for my hair to dry. I ended up watching a YouTube go live while I sat & just blasted my hair with the dryer. I banded in five sections with thick bands.
B0F7667E-AFC8-40EE-8D84-E608CD29A4D5.jpeg
3E259713-209E-4722-A174-D5E07B760E28.jpeg
My hair is glossier than it seems in these pictures. It’s completely dry and not sticky at all. I like the shape MUCH better. I do see some frizziness in the back but it’s livable. I might not be able to washngo again on Friday so I may skip a week.

oneastrocurlie

It took a long time for my hair to dry. I ended up watching a YouTube go live while I sat & just blasted my hair with the dryer. I banded in five sections with thick bands.
View attachment 464755
View attachment 464757
My hair is glossier than it seems in these pictures. It’s completely dry and not sticky at all. I like the shape MUCH better. I do see some frizziness in the back but it’s livable. I might not be able to washngo again on Friday so I may skip a week.

Looks good!

toaster

Washed my hair again this morning.

In my usual 3 sections I applied slightly less uncle funky’s 10 pumps for the two back sections and 6 pumps in the front and then I wet my hair again and applied 8 pumps of mousse def over the section. It was then that I split my hair into six smaller sections and raked and smoothed. Because my hair was soaking wet with water and product, I was able to rake and smooth through my hair without adding additional product.

I sat under the dryer for an hour as usual. My hair is nice and elongated, but maybe a bit curlier than usual. Perhaps all the product was weighing my hair down?

I’ll see how it wears over the next few days.

Shadow_Lace

Usual pre-wash routine with additional refresher spray: Eden Bodyworks Hibiscus Honey Hair Tonic.
Just trying something out (as usual)
Detangling Agent: The Mane Choice Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner
2 sections, 3 braids each, detangled matting/shed hair removed...
Skipped the plastic conditioning cap, wasn't necessary went right into washing my hair afterwards.

I used the Design Essential Almond & Avocado Nourishing Co-Wash.

While my hair is still in braids, section by section...
I light rinsed my roots, unraveled the braid, gently detangled & removed matting/shed hair, fully rinsed the hair.
(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed Nature's Little Secret Irish Moss Styling Cream, then re-sectioned my hair.

(On damp hair) I raked then smoothed Xtreme Clear Gel onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

I can only give a partial review of the Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Nourishing Co-Wash (my apologies everyone!)

I only used this as a more moisturizing but ultimately light conditioner (it's not a cleansing conditioner {well at least not to me}, but a really nice conditioner!).

The label does say it can be used a detangler, so maybe next use... I'll try it, that way.

Consistency in the tub appears thick & creamy.
Is really light, more of a lightweight-milky cream.
Great slip!
Didn't cause any snagging upon application.
Scent is interesting...
In the tub: sweet-fruity, fresh.
On my hair & upon rinsing; it leans more towards Christmas-y, possibly a sweeter Juniper scent...?

VictoriousBrownFlower

i was curious to see how one of these wash and goes with a double styler would look on my hair. All of u seem to be raving about it so much. All i had was a little bit of wetline and eco style krystal. So thats what i used. i did the wetline first on soaking wet hair in sections. Then i put a little more water on my hair and smoothedd on some eco to each section....

first thing i noticed is believe it or not it dried faster. 2 its super shiny and defined while being very elongated. i'll post pics prob tomorrow because day 1 is not a good look but i really like it.... i think this may be my go to wash and go method from now on so thank you ladies that paid for the online wash and go classes. I never would have thought to use two stylers but its a winner for sure.

VictoriousBrownFlower

ok so my wash and go dried in a record timing of 4 hrs. i put it in a pony tail with a silk scrunchie for bed and in the am took the scrunchie off after i got out the shower and got dressed. it was super easy to snap back into shape. Here is my day 2 hair with wetline under eco style krystal...IMG_2106 (2).JPG

Just to show the progress of my wash and go this pic is from winter 201978989096_10156519519680880_5431677695656198144_o.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

ok so my wash and go dried in a record timing of 4 hrs. i put it in a pony tail with a silk scrunchie for bed and in the am took the scrunchie off after i got out the shower and got dressed. it was super easy to snap back into shape. Here is my day 2 hair with wetline under eco style krystal...

Just to show the progress of my wash and go this pic is from winter 2019

It does look really good and 4 hours to dry is definitely a plus.

I think your hair looks good in both pictures.