Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

@toaster your definiton survives so well. I think that’s something else I miss out on by not using a hood dryer.
Thanks! I used to sit under the dryer for an hour but that was killing me, so I cut it to 45 minutes.

Actually diffusing while I was out of town helped me with that. 25 minutes of diffusing my hair was 90% dry and it was fine. After an hour or so of walking around my hair was dry. No need to crisp it under the dryer.

The dyson gets way hotter than my dryer from Sally’s, so I still have to sit longer.

LavenderMint

If nothing else, the DS/As & this thread have helped me put my wng in perspective this year.
As my hair was drying Friday, I kept looking at it like (-__-) because it didn’t look like it has in the past. BUT that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As time goes on & I try new techniques and product combos, my hair is going to look different and as long as I’m not looking crazy on Zoom for class, I can be ok with it.

That said, I really do need a more powerful hairdryer for diffusing. I can’t sit under the bonnet for extended periods of time either; 30 minutes is my upper limit for sitting still & it’s honestly a crappy dryer that still only gets me to around 40% dry. My Friday picture is after sitting under the dryer for an hour and then using the diffuser for about 30min. Neither is up to the job.

My product combo this time of UFD & Aussie Instant Freeze gel is interesting and a bit disappointing. For the most part it’s ok but there is some dullness in the areas where I went over my hair more than once; no flaking though. My hair feels firm but soft, if that makes sense.
Coming out of a 2week style, I know my hair will need some time to go back to its normal clumped & bouncy self so I’m going to try to wash again on Tuesday & Friday. My eventual goal is a 1.5hr wash & style.
83EC39B4-62CC-4DFF-A3D4-7EB008A8A1C1.jpeg 7CBDBFA0-5F84-4010-AD95-68BDBA4046CE.jpeg

toaster

@LavenderMint i like your wash and go!

My hair is nowhere near as dense as yours, so I won’t recommend my overhead dryer.

My takeaway from the digital salon is that it’s a combo of products, technique, tools and practice.

I’m on the tools and practice portion. I think I have my products and the technique, but I need more time and a stronger overhead dryer.

I could just use my dyson to diffuse, but I’d rather be trapped under a dryer than hold up a dryer for 25 minutes.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I cant sit under my rolling dryer for 20 minutes before the top of my hair gets dry. Then I get annoyed and get up.

I bought a nice handheld dryer to try and diffuse and hated it. Diffusing does nothing for me but scrunch my curls to my head. It makes it hard and looks horrible. I did however love the concentrator. @LavenderMint

GettingKinky

Thanks! I used to sit under the dryer for an hour but that was killing me, so I cut it to 45 minutes.

Actually diffusing while I was out of town helped me with that. 25 minutes of diffusing my hair was 90% dry and it was fine. After an hour or so of walking around my hair was dry. No need to crisp it under the dryer.

The dyson gets way hotter than my dryer from Sally’s, so I still have to sit longer.
What do you do with your hair when you’re working out?

toaster

What do you do with your hair when you’re working out?
If I’m doing weight training where I’ll be on my yoga mat for my ab exercises I just wear my buff that I sleep in, as a headband. I let my curls hang out of the back.

On my peloton, I clip each side back with alligator clips and just let it hang down.

For both workouts, after I shower (pull the buff down or put it on, put on a shower cap) I just shake my hair out and go.

I really don’t touch my hair after wash day.

Shadow_Lace

Tried out an older conditioner, whelp I learned my lesson!

The co-wash/detangling agent was Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Water & Vanilla Milk Conditioner.
Cleansed with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea
Used the Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Mask as my anti-shedding/sttengthening d/c.

(On wet-to-damp hair) I raked, then smoothed the OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Cream, then put my hair into 2 sections.

(On damp hair) I smoothed Xtreme Clear Gel onto each section.

As a sealant, I gently smoothed/scrunched the Giovanni Ultra Luxurious Hair Serum (Cherry Blossom + Rose Petals) onto my hair.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

About that GWB Coconut Water & Vanilla Milk Conditioner.
I do remember liking the slip, but I didn't particularly care for how much more lightweight my hair became over time.
Eventually my curls wouldn't clump, at all. And kept resulting in a stringy, struggle version of my usual wash n go.
Oh, did I mention the 5x matting/tangles?

I wish that I'd at least remembered this; instead, of the memories slowly coming back after using it.
The slip was just barely manageable.
I had to skip out on a more, thorough detangling session.

Last edited:

toaster

Aishia has been doing lives on Instagram from the salon today. These are the bits where I feel like you really pick up styling lessons.

She mentioned the DS transitioning to a course with monthly lives.

I’ll probably join the new course for a month or two to see how it is.

GettingKinky

Aishia has been doing lives on Instagram from the salon today. These are the bits where I feel like you really pick up styling lessons.

She mentioned the DS transitioning to a course with monthly lives.

I’ll probably join the new course for a month or two to see how it is.
I just watched her live and took some notes especially on how she had her client shake her head. I’m planning to re-watch the current videos and take notes on them as well.
I’m curious about the monthly lives, but I haven’t decided if I want to sign up for that or not.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I don’t have a wng now but it was so nice to walk in and the stylist complimented me on how I had it.
View attachment 465501

My only hair related BF/CM purchase was a buff. Ive been suffering from FOMO since but I’m ultimately glad I didn’t spend more.

I just came out of my 2wk old flat twists & I was sorely tempted to keep the twist-out because it was truly cute :gorgeous: but my scalp was crying (and my ends were dryyyyyy).

I used the CD Black Vanilla shampoo after soaking & rinsing my hair, no prepoo product. The longer I wet it, the more shed hairs came out. There weren’t any snags and as my curls reformed, I was still able to run my fingers through, root to tip. The shampoo seemed to change that but not by a lot.
I deep conditioned with Crece Pelo for about 20 minutes, detangled & rinsed.
I tried using the UFD in bigger sections, with frequent misting & squishing it in... I still probably use more than I should.
Since I’m trying to use up my stash, I tried the Aussie Instant Freeze gel as a topper. Squeezed into my hands, emulsified, and applied on top of UFD in each section with praying hands... so far, I like the results so we’ll see how it turns out. I know it’s probably not an “approved” gel but I bought it and I’m not going to waste my money.
I’ll post a pic some point over the weekend

Am looking up Crece Pelo, what is UFD (if anyone sees this)? I saw a pic of your hair in recent post (prior to this one) and want to do whatever it is you do, to make it look so good/healthy/styled.
It's shorter but cute, my hair is of a similar length, but never know what to do with it (no real styling skills).

GettingKinky

I don't sleep in mine but it isn't as hot as I thought it would be. I honestly forget I have it on at times. I will wear it out and forget to take it off when I get home.
I think I’ll order one and try it out. If it’s too hot for sleeping I can wear it when I walk my dog in the morning.

LavenderMint

Am looking up Crece Pelo, what is UFD (if anyone sees this)? I saw a pic of your hair in recent post (prior to this one) and want to do whatever it is you do, to make it look so good/healthy/styled.
It's shorter but cute, my hair is of a similar length, but never know what to do with it (no real styling skills).
UFD is Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic gel. Crece Pelo is a Dominican deep conditioner; I don’t remember when I started using it but it’s always been a favorite DC of mine. It’s thick & effective; it takes a bit of work to rinse out if I use too much.

“No real styling skills” is exactly why I’m about wash and go’s :spinning:

I recently got a curly cut. That is the one single thing I did that made a HUGE difference in how my hair behaves, looks & feels.
I think @toaster told me about one of the first things I changed that made a difference in how my hair felt & behaved: actually soaking my hair before washing, just letting the water run into and through my hair. I don’t have a time limit, I just do it til I feel water dripping from everywhere (my hair is hi-porosity so water just gets sucked up at first) & I’m ready to move on.

So far as actual styling:
No leave-in, I’m heavy-handed with gel even though I try not to, and I rake instead of shingle. (I’d like to try shingling once but I think it would take forever) Then I follow my gel with mousse/foam.

The ladies in this thread have been extremely helpful, knowledgeable and supportive! @bzb1990 what are you currently doing for your wng?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
UFD is Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic gel. Crece Pelo is a Dominican deep conditioner; I don’t remember when I started using it but it’s always been a favorite DC of mine. It’s thick & effective; it takes a bit of work to rinse out if I use too much.

“No real styling skills” is exactly why I’m about wash and go’s :spinning:

I recently got a curly cut. That is the one single thing I did that made a HUGE difference in how my hair behaves, looks & feels.
I think @toaster told me about one of the first things I changed that made a difference in how my hair felt & behaved: actually soaking my hair before washing, just letting the water run into and through my hair. I don’t have a time limit, I just do it til I feel water dripping from everywhere (my hair is hi-porosity so water just gets sucked up at first) & I’m ready to move on.

So far as actual styling:
No leave-in, I’m heavy-handed with gel even though I try not to, and I rake instead of shingle. (I’d like to try shingling once but I think it would take forever) Then I follow my gel with mousse/foam.

The ladies in this thread have been extremely helpful, knowledgeable and supportive! @bzb1990 what are you currently doing for your wng?
as i'm not part of this challenge, i hesitate to post here (except that question was burning on my mind :duck:)
don't know how to formulate wng will attempt-
shampoo = pantene daily moisture 2 in 1 (s+c) or nexxus city shield, and then
giovanni 50/50 conditioner. was using a cleansing lotion by Avene as hair lotion and 'sealing' with camellia seed oil, mct oil, grapeseed oil, or a combo. and braids to prevent tangles+ stretch
(since about 2 days ago- using shea butter for braids on top of the above- then by the next day it absorbs and no tangles, braids can be kept in or brushed out with no issues)
KeraCare humecto for DC.
- have been using it for information and motivation. realizing some issues are not just user error
-e.g. my dryer is as bad as you say yours is - ion conditioning bonnet dryer, sold at Sally's. https://www.sallybeauty.com/tools-a...tioning-hard-hat-bonnet-dryer/SBS-301082.html

Shadow_Lace

I love your wash day reports @Shadow_Lace
Do you have a favorite wash and go combo?
My fav combos are:
Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter & Xtreme Clear Gel.
Nature's Little Secret Irish Moss Styling Cream & Xtreme Clear Gel.

Also, most recent, to make it onto the list:
OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Cream & Xtreme Clear Gel Or The CurlDaze Glossy Shine Gel.

Of the jelly/gel combos:
Uncle Funky's Daughter Good Hair & UFD Curly Magic.
Camille Rose Curl Love & UFD Curly Magic.
Nature's Little Secret Irish Moss Styling Cream & NLS Flaxseed Curly Custard.

Shadow_Lace

Much improved results with a different Garnier product! Also a possibly new, cream/creme combo?

For my co-wash/detangling agent, I went in with Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Conditioner, another reliable product.

Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo as my cleanser.
For the light protein treatment, the Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask.

(On wet-to-damp hair) I raked then smoothed OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Cream unto each section. And then re-sectioned my hair.

( On damp hair) I raked then smoothed Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Curling Creme onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

I'm glad I went back into my stash for this particular Garnier product (instead of the one in a random cabinet).
Slip was great!
It does have a very light protein; meanwhile, providing the right signal to continue with a slightly stronger protein treatment.

Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Curling Creme.

Slip is amazing!
The scent: Lime, Aloe Vera, citrus, & fresh/clean.
I love the scent it pairs well with my leave-in.
Totally passed the wet/damp mix test.

So far the hold seems to be a medium-strong.
It can definitely be built upon (the hold).

Disclaimer: I was a tad heavy-handed so this may change my results.
Even with all of that, I have a lot left, still at the top.
Nice size container of 12 oz.

I'll come back later with more on the hold & other results.

ETA: The Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Curling Creme's consistency. Medium-thickness, a tad on the creamy-milkier side.

Last edited: