Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

colorful_coils

Have you tried the UFD and miche gel without the leave in @colorful_coils ?

UFD is very moisturizing applied alone on top of soaking wet hair. The leave in might be too much moisture and causing the frizz.
I've never done a wash-n-go without leave-in because I worry about dryness, but if UFD is moisturizing, I'll give it a try! I think I need to refresh/redo this wash-n-go sooner rather than later, so I'll try it then.

oneastrocurlie

Hello! What do y'all recommend for topper/anti-humectant/strong hold gels? I used UFD Curly Magic over Camille Rose Coconut Water Leave In + Miche Beauty Sculpt Curl Defining Gel, and my hair is moisturized, but frizzy.

I've used UFD with that leave in. I'd try eliminating the gel maybe. The UFD is kinda it's own gel.

A mousse in top the UFD might help with frizz too.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Just left Ulta to return the dyson. Wasn’t that impressed for $400. I bought a $40 hair dryer awhile back that was just the same experience.

I was looking for inner sense while I was there. It’s only sold online.
Picked up a SM soufflé which acts as curl activator gel for me and a TMC braid out glaze which works wonders under any gel.

toaster

Finally home and washed my hair!

the Curlsmith hydro creme deep conditioner is very... okay. Not a lot of slip. Didn’t feel particularly moisturizing. I’ll use it up but won’t repurchase.

Used the doux pop lock glaze as my only styling product on wet hair in the shower. I can tell it’s a “salon” product and created by someone that works in a salon. It has a lot of slip! If you were sitting in a salon chair the stylist wouldn’t tug your hair at all while styling. It has a very perfumey smell. It’s overwhelming in the shower, but I bet in a salon in an open environment it just smells pleasant. It kind of foams up as you apply it. I’ll post pictures after I get out from under the dryer, and again in a day or 2 to see how it holds up. I feel like it will dry quickly.

I need more time to decide if I like it. I’d need it to do something different from mousse def to justify keeping it.

I do agree with @Bette Davis Eyes that it would make a great topper, but then it really serves no purpose in my hair arsenal.

we’ll see.

toaster

4093DA32-CBA6-4895-B69E-3EFD90DA575B.jpeg
These are my dry results. I only did 45 minutes under the dryer, but my hair is bone dry. There’s a very crunchy cast, but not as much shrinkage as I expected. I would be surprised if this didn’t last a few days.

I like it. It’s not love yet. Also I’m positive I used too much product. I used a nickel size for each section of my wash and go and you know I do 18 sections....

naturalagain2

Ok tried UFD yesterday for the first time! I love it!! My hair coiled up so pretty I love it!!

I cleansed with Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, let it sit while I took my shower, then rinsed.
I applied a ACV rinse on my hair. My scalp needed this treatment. My hair felt so soft and moisturized after. My scalp felt so good.
I reapplied the Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul clay and Divine Shine Moisture Lock & Frizz Fighter Oil (that I warmed in a hot water bath) on top. I deep conditioned for 30 mins under the dryer.
Rinsed and applied Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and UFD on top all while in the shower.

Because the UFD is runny it made it easier to apply and run through my hair. My hair coiled up quickly. My hair looks & feels so soft and moisturized. Interested to see how my hair would look with UFD as a leave-in moisturizer and Aunt Jackie's Ice Curls on top? I will try that combo maybe in month. Want to keep with this current combo for a while.

GettingKinky

@toaster Your pop lock results look really good.

I want to try that gel and I want to try the Ecoslay Jelloshot. I’m determined to get rid of ICH and replace it with a black owned product. I love, love, love ICH, but I want to spend my money on black owned products.
After I replace ICH, I’ll look for a replacement for Innersense shampoo and conditioner too.

toaster

I want to try that gel and I want to try the Ecoslay Jelloshot. I’m determined to get rid of ICH and replace it with a black owned product. I love, love, love ICH, but I want to spend my money on black owned products.
After I replace ICH, I’ll look for a replacement for Innersense shampoo and conditioner too.
Thanks! It honestly looks pretty good today as well. Held up against my first workout very well.

I’m starting to feel like I have too many products. I could be fine with just the carols daughter shampoo, briogeo rinse out conditioners, kinky curly products, and the doux stylers.

I can’t see myself needing anything else. Might pack up ICH and UFD and send to my sister.

GettingKinky

Thanks! It honestly looks pretty good today as well. Held up against my first workout very well.

I’m starting to feel like I have too many products. I could be fine with just the carols daughter shampoo, briogeo rinse out conditioners, kinky curly products, and the doux stylers.

I can’t see myself needing anything else. Might pack up ICH and UFD and send to my sister.
You weren’t a big fan of UFD and ICH? I’m trying to narrow down too. I still have lots of UFD and ICH and some KC products too so I don’t want to get a bunch of new gels.

toaster

You weren’t a big fan of UFD and ICH? I’m trying to narrow down too. I still have lots of UFD and ICH and some KC products too so I don’t want to get a bunch of new gels.
I really never got the hang of/liked ICH. It was fine over the quiet calm curl control. But that’s basically the only way I could make it work.

I loved UFD as a base for the doux mousse. It just had so much slip that the mousse doesn’t have on its own. But if I’m doing a two product wash and go, I’m using the kinky curly products. Even without a ton of slip, I love mousse def alone, so I don’t *need* UFD.

That’s why I’m struggling with pop lock. I think I can get 3/4 days from this wash and go without using any other product. It was crunchy on day 1 but after sleeping on it it’s soft and still elongated. I think what’s throwing me off is how to differentiate it from mousse def. Definitely a stronger hold. Has glycerin, mousse def is glycerin free.

I’ll keep trying it to see how I feel.

GettingKinky

I really never got the hang of/liked ICH. It was fine over the quiet calm curl control. But that’s basically the only way I could make it work.

I loved UFD as a base for the doux mousse. It just had so much slip that the mousse doesn’t have on its own. But if I’m doing a two product wash and go, I’m using the kinky curly products. Even without a ton of slip, I love mousse def alone, so I don’t *need* UFD.

That’s why I’m struggling with pop lock. I think I can get 3/4 days from this wash and go without using any other product. It was crunchy on day 1 but after sleeping on it it’s soft and still elongated. I think what’s throwing me off is how to differentiate it from mousse def. Definitely a stronger hold. Has glycerin, mousse def is glycerin free.

I’ll keep trying it to see how I feel.
I’ll wait to see how long your hair lasts with pop lock. For me mousse def only lasts one day maybe 2. If pop lock last 4 days with only one product I would consider that a winner.

EmmJaii

If you find something good to replace ICH over UFD please let us know. I’ve tried the ecoslay jello shot and it had WAY too much hold for me. I couldn’t even fluff my hair or use a pick without it actually breaking my hair. But my wng did last a long time lol.

GettingKinky

If you find something good to replace ICH over UFD please let us know. I’ve tried the ecoslay jello shot and it had WAY too much hold for me. I couldn’t even fluff my hair or use a pick without it actually breaking my hair. But my wng did last a long time lol.
Wow! That much hold? Did you apply it on soaking wet hair?

toaster

53B44337-57B4-4CE9-9355-209BF4031076.jpeg
Day 2 results. Looks pretty good. We’re in quarantine from traveling so I basically had my buff on all day except for during my peloton bike ride and my evening yoga session.
I might even skip tomorrow’s wash day and just wash twice a week this week instead of 3 times. Usually my front pieces are so shrunken that I feel like my hair is super short and I’d wash again. But the pop lock is doing a good job of elongating my hair.

GettingKinky

I’m going to order the Ecoslay jello shot today. If it turns out to have too much hold to use by itself or on my entire head I’m thinking of using it just on my crown. That’s the area that always frizzes first.

I’m so excited to try it, I’ve never seen so many people say a product may have too much hold.

ETA- the shipping is outrageous. Almost $9 for an $18 product. Now I’m not so sure I want to like it.

Last edited:

toaster

@toaster I also take monthly pictures to track my progress. I’m trying to get to an SL day 2 wash n go. I’m not sure if I’ll get there this year, especially given that I really need a haircut, but it gives me something to focus on.
I’m right there with you. My goal before my haircut was an APL wash and go, but now I’d like for all of my hair to be at least SL by the end of the year. The back of my hair is almost there now, but it’s all of 3 curls.