Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hmm. No PayPal. I have to get up and look for a card which usually deters me.

Hattache doesn’t have it. I’d like to buy it though if the hold is strong. Curl activator gel knocks out hold on just about everything.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I’m slacking off at work and I just watched a few jello shot videos on YouTube. I’m 99% convinced that this will give me a good one product wash n go that will last at least 4 days. And it’s cheaper than ICH (except the outrageous shipping cost, next time I’ll buy more things to spread out the shipping cost)

I’m so excited to try it, but I’ve heard that since it’s made in small batches it will take weeks to arrive. My one concern is that I don’t want my hair to look stringy and excessively shiny, but I feel like that can be managed with application technique.
In the meantime I’ll keep using up the stuff I have on hand.

Last edited:

Britt

I’m going to order the Ecoslay jello shot today. If it turns out to have too much hold to use by itself or on my entire head I’m thinking of using it just on my crown. That’s the area that always frizzes first.

I’m so excited to try it, I’ve never seen so many people say a product may have too much hold.

ETA- the shipping is outrageous. Almost $9 for an $18 product. Now I’m not so sure I want to like it.
Oh my on the shipping. I look forward to reading your review :yep:

naturalagain2

Girls I have dilemma. Why do I want to ditch my stylist and I feel so bad about it!! She is so good with natural hair but now that I wear wash and go's exclusively she's not the best with those styles (for me) and bringing out my particular curls. Standard curls she is great at but not my small coily curls. I end up having to restyle it when I get home.

I found someone that may be able to give me what I want from watching her instagram. She does curly hair well and cuts/shapes curl by curl. She doesn't really do anything else.

My current stylist has the whole package can cut hair (if you wear stretched twistout styles the shapes are fire but doesn't really transcend into wash and go styles because my hair shrinks about 80%), does natural hair updo's, everything.....BUT my wash and go's. The chick from instagram (she's white) only does curly hair so if I wanted my hair straighten I would have to go someone else (which I have a friend/cosmetologist that can do that for me). That last part is not a biggie for me because I don't plan to straighten until I get to midback which is two or so years from now.

Wash and go's are the best for me. I workout a lot and it is way easier to deal with than twistouts. I want length my ultimate goal is mid back length.....but I want a shape that is fire as it grows it out. I rather grow my hair our slowly with a nice shape then to chase length and have trash shape in the meantime. Why do stylist/client relationships have to be like this. I don't want to hurt her feelings (and maybe that part is all in my head). Also I don't want to leave her and hate this new girl. What do I do? :cry3:

GettingKinky

Girls I have dilemma. Why do I want to ditch my stylist and I feel so bad about it!! She is so good with natural hair but now that I wear wash and go's exclusively she's not the best with those styles (for me) and bringing out my particular curls. Standard curls she is great at but not my small coily curls. I end up having to restyle it when I get home.

I found someone that may be able to give me what I want from watching her instagram. She does curly hair well and cuts/shapes curl by curl. She doesn't really do anything else.

My current stylist has the whole package can cut hair (if you wear stretched twistout styles the shapes are fire but doesn't really transcend into wash and go styles because my hair shrinks about 80%), does natural hair updo's, everything.....BUT my wash and go's. The chick from instagram (she's white) only does curly hair so if I wanted my hair straighten I would have to go someone else (which I have a friend/cosmetologist that can do that for me). That last part is not a biggie for me because I don't plan to straighten until I get to midback which is two or so years from now.

Wash and go's are the best for me. I workout a lot and it is way easier to deal with than twistouts. I want length my ultimate goal is mid back length.....but I want a shape that is fire as it grows it out. I rather grow my hair our slowly with a nice shape then to chase length and have trash shape in the meantime. Why do stylist/client relationships have to be like this. I don't want to hurt her feelings (and maybe that part is all in my head). Also I don't want to leave her and hate this new girl. What do I do? :cry3:
I totally understand. It’s hard to leave a stylist we have a relationship with. Does she have any desire to learn to cut hair for wash n gos?

If she doesn’t, I’m sure she’ll understand why you need to find someone else.

I still go to my stylist that used to do my relaxers- now she colors my gray, but eventually I’m going to leave her once I find a good curly stylist that also does color.

faithVA

Just left Ulta to return the dyson. Wasn’t that impressed for $400. I bought a $40 hair dryer awhile back that was just the same experience.

I was looking for inner sense while I was there. It’s only sold online.
Picked up a SM soufflé which acts as curl activator gel for me and a TMC braid out glaze which works wonders under any gel.
It is good to know you can return it. I was wondering if it was less drying with lower temperatures.

faithVA

FINALLY!!

yes, my hands are awful dry from all this hand washing. And I hadn’t re-moisturized them yet. Yes, my nails look horrible.
I also somehow cut my hand pretty deeply & have no idea how or when.
Our coils are about the same size. I just don't have that length yet. That is a nice looking coil you have there :yep:

faithVA

Thanks! It honestly looks pretty good today as well. Held up against my first workout very well.

I’m starting to feel like I have too many products. I could be fine with just the carols daughter shampoo, briogeo rinse out conditioners, kinky curly products, and the doux stylers.

I can’t see myself needing anything else. Might pack up ICH and UFD and send to my sister.
If she doesn't want them, I would be more than glad to take them off your hands :look:

naturalagain2

I totally understand. It’s hard to leave a stylist we have a relationship with. Does she have any desire to learn to cut hair for wash n gos?

If she doesn’t, I’m sure she’ll understand why you need to find someone else.

I still go to my stylist that used to do my relaxers- now she colors my gray, but eventually I’m going to leave her once I find a good curly stylist that also does color.

She's very ambitious so I know eventually she probably would. She just got into her own shop and I know she's trying to handle being on her own now so it might not even be on her radar to do it anytime soon. Plus she is super popular so her client base is set.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
It is good to know you can return it. I was wondering if it was less drying with lower temperatures.
The heat was less drying. I will give it that. That in itself is no more than $200. This sucker was more than $400 after taxes. I feel it’s more the name than the performance. I just couldn’t justify the price when I bought a $40 dryer that had a great concentrator. @faithVA

faithVA

The heat was less drying. I will give it that. That in itself is no more than $200. This sucker was more than $400 after taxes. I feel it’s more the name than the performance. I just couldn’t justify the price when I bought a $40 dryer that had a great concentrator. @faithVA
I understand. It is pricey. My hair tends to be on the dry side and my wng last longer when I don't dry it out with the dryer. I think those with drier hair can probably appreciate the reduction of heat than those with more normal hair. If I could get an extra 2 days out of my wng it would be worth the extra expense. But it isn't worth trying at all until I get some length. That is why I was glad to hear about the return. I now know I can get it from Ulta and return it with no issue.

oneastrocurlie

Keep them both.

I have my curly cut stylist (Stylist A), who I've been seeing for about three years and see 3 times a year max, and she recently left the salon she was at to go on her own. Cool. But she isn't doing color. Now I could have gone back to the salon she was at and gotten color but I decided to try a new person I had been following for a while (Stylist B). And I happily got my color.

Stylist B also does other things. Silk presses, twists, updos. She also does curly cuts. So technically I could just switch to Stylist B but Stylist A has the magic touch when it comes to cutting and styling my wash and go. Stylist B did a good job on the color but I was so-so on how she styled my wng.

So I'll go to Stylist A for my trims and Stylist B for anything else I want done. Both stylist are black although Stylist A is half black/half white (she identifies as Black). Stylist A worked in a white owned salon and people would side eye me when I said I went to her. I didn't care. My hair took a 180 when I started going to Stylist A and doing what she was teaching me at home. Also Stylist A stayed booked to the rim so people couldn't get in with her anyways while they was hating lol.

When I went to Stylist B, who I do really like, she asked about the last time I got a trim and I told her when I did. So she at least has a hint I go somewhere else. She actually follows Stylist A in IG.

When I see Stylist A in February for my trim she'll probably ask if I went to her old salon to get color. I'll be honest and say nope and that'll be it lol. If she wants me to stay a client she'll keep it pushing and do my hair.

I like having options and backups. People like to leave town, retire, and have babies lol. I want to always have someone on deck. Nothing personal. Just hair business.

GettingKinky

Your hair has so much volume! I love it!
Thanks! I love the volume too. I wish there were a way to get this volume and have hold.

and I love the way this product smells, not when I’m applying it, but after it dries is smells really nice.
But once I finish this container I doubt I will buy it again. I get pretty much the same results with mousse def.

naturalagain2

Keep them both.

I have my curly cut stylist (Stylist A), who I've been seeing for about three years and see 3 times a year max, and she recently left the salon she was at to go on her own. Cool. But she isn't doing color. Now I could have gone back to the salon she was at and gotten color but I decided to try a new person I had been following for a while (Stylist B). And I happily got my color.

Stylist B also does other things. Silk presses, twists, updos. She also does curly cuts. So technically I could just switch to Stylist B but Stylist A has the magic touch when it comes to cutting and styling my wash and go. Stylist B did a good job on the color but I was so-so on how she styled my wng.

So I'll go to Stylist A for my trims and Stylist B for anything else I want done. Both stylist are black although Stylist A is half black/half white (she identifies as Black). Stylist A worked in a white owned salon and people would side eye me when I said I went to her. I didn't care. My hair took a 180 when I started going to Stylist A and doing what she was teaching me at home. Also Stylist A stayed booked to the rim so people couldn't get in with her anyways while they was hating lol.

When I went to Stylist B, who I do really like, she asked about the last time I got a trim and I told her when I did. So she at least has a hint I go somewhere else. She actually follows Stylist A in IG.

When I see Stylist A in February for my trim she'll probably ask if I went to her old salon to get color. I'll be honest and say nope and that'll be it lol. If she wants me to stay a client she'll keep it pushing and do my hair.

I like having options and backups. People like to leave town, retire, and have babies lol. I want to always have someone on deck. Nothing personal. Just hair business.

Thanks so much for the advice!! I will do just that. This is me to the T! I have a consultation with the new girl on Saturday.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
His hair looks wonderful. Does he like his hair?
Only time he doesn’t like his hair is when it’s time to detangle. One of the reasons we cut it a year or so ago. I don’t mess with it but usually every 3 weeks if in twists or every 2 weeks if a washngo. It just evolves into a big fro. Good for low maintenance. Bad for detangling @faithVA

Last edited: