Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Embracenaturalbeauty on Instagram just did an Instagram live about how she offers curly hair cuts and also does trims, for people that are trying to retain length and don’t want a balancing cut that might take off too much of their length!!

That is exactly what I was looking for in December and exactly what I’m looking for going forward. Eventually I’ll want a shaping cut to even out the hack job I received, but right now I’m into just trimming. Keeping this in mind for 2022 and beyond. Her salon isn’t that far from NYC and I’m willing to go a bit further out for someone that listens.

EmmJaii

Just an FYI, Pop Lock is back in stock on The Doux’s website. I ordered a bottle of that and the Big Poppa gel to try them out. I’m trying to get 5 day hair like @toaster lol.

Also, I’m (pleasantly) surprised with how my UFD 1 product wng is turning out. Today is day 4 and my hair is still very much bouncy and defined. It’s a little big but not too frizzy. This is especially shocking since it’s been raining here all week and I haven’t seen any major changes due to the increased humidity.
Without a topper, my wng from wetting my hair to getting under the dryer is 1h 15m. And I could probably shorten that with practice. I’m feeling hopeful y’all!

GettingKinky

Just an FYI, Pop Lock is back in stock on The Doux’s website. I ordered a bottle of that and the Big Poppa gel to try them out. I’m trying to get 5 day hair like @toaster lol.

Also, I’m (pleasantly) surprised with how my UFD 1 product wng is turning out. Today is day 4 and my hair is still very much bouncy and defined. It’s a little big but not too frizzy. This is especially shocking since it’s been raining here all week and I haven’t seen any major changes due to the increased humidity.
Without a topper, my wng from wetting my hair to getting under the dryer is 1h 15m. And I could probably shorten that with practice. I’m feeling hopeful y’all!
I think will try a UFD only wash n go for my mid week wash this week.

toaster

Oooh I think Embracenaturalcurls was doing a direct response to the A’s. She’s been doing a lot more of the “sharp line” cuts but she still offers trims and obviously her hair has not been cut into a curly style and she mostly gets her hair trimmed on straight hair.

I commented on her post that I was happy to see this, as I’ve noticed her transition to the “cut it kinky” style of cutting and I was worried she didn’t do other styles any longer. I wonder if a lot of her clientele had a similar reaction.

Anyway, her live on the subject was 4 hours after Aeleise went live talking about we need to change our mindset with length and just get the “polished look” cut.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I prefer Big Poppa over Pop Lock.

Big Poppa reminds me of a super up UFDs gel. Pop lock would probably take Big Poppa to the gawds for me. I was going to try Entwine gel today but I think I’ll try the Big Poppa with Pop lock as a topper.

ETA. I don’t have enough Big Poppa. I forgot it’s like a swallow left in there.

well I’ll put that on the back burner for spring time because I’m not reupping on any of the Doux products any time soon.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
On another note Js hair Is still going. It’s day 7. I used the gel from the video I posted awhile back and a little of Nature’s Little secret FSG.

I like to try different gels out so I’m always buying a new styler @toaster

KCCC and UFD work for me. They are both just expensive. I prefer to wash every 3 days. I’ve been slacking though. I go through a lot of product because I like to make sure I have good coverage.

toaster

Anyone else experience more shrinkage as the days go on after a wash n go? I use a buff at night, but that doesn’t keep my hair elongated and everyday I wake up, my hair is an inch shorter than the day before. Has anyone figured out how to combat that?
Yes, absolutely! My day 1 hair is the most stretched and as the days go by it gets shorter and shorter. I think that’s normal? Or at least it’s normal for me.

Sleeping in a pineapple would probably keep your hair stretched over time. Or maybe a few smaller ponytails.

I sleep in a buff because it’s convenient, but it’s definitely not preventing shrinkage.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
So, look at the left and right side. Can you guess which side has the Pop lock and which doesn’t.
It has not an ounce of weight for me which equals fluffy hair. If I wanted fluffy hair I would just use conditioner to style.

Attachments

• 17227204-AF74-43D1-8E89-093A4C6C1744.jpeg
    17227204-AF74-43D1-8E89-093A4C6C1744.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 65

toaster

So, look at the left and right side. Can you guess which side has the Pop lock and which doesn’t.
It has not an ounce of weight for me which equals fluffy hair. If I wanted fluffy hair I would just use conditioner to style.
So interesting!! It doesn’t feel “weighty” on my hair, but it freezes my hair in place so it doesn’t shrink up as much.

Your more defined side looks amazing!

faithVA

Does anyone else get anxious / super excited about washing their hair even though they just did it? Like I did my hair Friday, but after reflecting on what I need to change, I just want to redo my hair and try a new product combo/ technique but my hair still looks fine (surprisingly). Lol
I did the first 6 months. But it went downhill from there :lol: Maybe the excitement will be renewed when Spring comes.

GettingKinky

@Bette Davis Eyes you make me want to try Big Poppa but I’m not buying any new hair products for a long while. My hair looks great with kinky curly or now two doux products as one product wash and go’s. I don’t need more options. I need to sit down and retain length :spinning:
I’m trying to stop buying products too. I get good enough results with KCKT/ICH or UFD/ICH and I have 2 products that give me a big fluffy WnG.
I’m kind of regretting buying jello shot. I think that will be my last new product purchase for awhile. Except maybe papaya slip.

EmmJaii

I’m trying to stop buying products too. I get good enough results with KCKT/ICH or UFD/ICH and I have 2 products that give me a big fluffy WnG.
I’m kind of regretting buying jello shot. I think that will be my last new product purchase for awhile. Except maybe papaya slip.
Just noticed you said you use ICH on top of both KCKT and UFD. How do you like these combos? And what is the difference in outcome between the two in your experience?

GettingKinky

Just noticed you said you use ICH on top of both KCKT and UFD. How do you like these combos? And what is the difference in outcome between the two in your experience?

I find that I get pretty similar results with both combos. The KCKT is nice because it makes it easier to rake through my hair and I prefer the smell over UFD and I don’t lose as much when I emulsify since it’s not so slippery.

I think the downside with KCKT is that it tends to build up faster so I have to clarify every 4-5 weeks.

I have lots of both so I’ll use one for a few months and then go back to the other.

oneastrocurlie

Anyone else experience more shrinkage as the days go on after a wash n go? I use a buff at night, but that doesn’t keep my hair elongated and everyday I wake up, my hair is an inch shorter than the day before. Has anyone figured out how to combat that?

Yup mine does and nope, no solution yet lol. I sleep in mini pineapples so it's not totally squashed but it still shrinks.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
My hair looks okay today. Not bad but I could see what i would do different next time. I could stretch it to five days if I wanted. It flaked though when I hit it with some air to stretch it a little. I’ll probably wash in the morning. Did a little running around today and don’t feel like getting up.

I really can’t wait until the weather warms up.

GettingKinky

I used to sleep with my buff pulled up so my hair was standing up as I slept. Now I either sleep with my buff pulled down or with a slap cap. That keeps my hair in the right direction overnight and helps a little with shrinkage. But I think shrinkage as the water evaporates from the hair is inevitable.

EmmJaii

I find that I get pretty similar results with both combos. The KCKT is nice because it makes it easier to rake through my hair and I prefer the smell over UFD and I don’t lose as much when I emulsify since it’s not so slippery.

I think the downside with KCKT is that it tends to build up faster so I have to clarify every 4-5 weeks.

I have lots of both so I’ll use one for a few months and then go back to the other.
Ok this is really good to know. I have a bunch of KCKT and I didn’t know what to do with it so I’ll try this for my next wash day. Thank you!