Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Alma Petra

Update on 2.1.2020

This challenge has now been extended to the year 2020!
Happy new year and let's continue to shine and dazzle!

Hello ladies, and welcome to the 2019 Wash and Go Challenge!

This is the first time I'm hosting a challenge so I hope I don't botch it :angel:

Our hair in its natural state is truly wonderful, captivating and elegant, whether you're wearing it short or long, defined or voluminous, tamed or wild and vivacious. It comes in endless combinations of curl patterns, textures, colors, and lengths, and it's all so beautiful and so feminine.

I hope that this challenge will be a place for us to enjoy and admire each others natural curls, coils and zigzags, encourage each other's journeys, point out the beautiful, celebrate the successes, extend kindness, exchange tips and tricks, and learn from each other.

And there is always been the question of whether we can grow our hair long while wearing wash and gos to enjoy wearing our own hair out and showing off our beautiful textures. I believe the answer is yes but it's understandable that it can be more challenging. This should be a good place for us to exchange tips in this regard as well.

The challenge is open to all, including texlaxed ladies who wear their hair curly. Everybody is invited to join even if they wear a WnG infrequently. To join please answer the following questions:
  1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
  5. Any current struggles or concerns?
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)

I believe that this thread will be double the fun if we keep it swarming with photos. The more the better. We can share photos of a full style, texture shots, funny photos of failed attempts, length shots, or even photos and videos from heads of hair that we admire (different lengths, colors, etc)

The challenge officially starts on the first of January, so if you haven't already please make sure that you formulate your plans and stock up on your favourite products :2inlove: before the new year starts. I'll be posting updates with the names of those who join throughout the challenge.

Please check in with us at least once a month, but it's desirable that you check in with us every time your redo or refresh your wash and go, also why not share photos of second third and fourth day hair? You know we love to see more of you :grouphug3:

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm in. I love wash n goes. They are my go to style. Thanks for starting this challenge.
  • Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) my hair is very coily low porosity and I'm currently at apl.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) currently I'm in twist extensions. I'll take them out by the end of year. I will resume my weekly wash n goes then. I use mainly products from the mane choice, Camille rose, kinky curly, and mielle organics.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I'm aiming for bsl/mbl
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? This coming year I plan to be a self trimmer
  • Any current struggles or concerns? None
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I will share once I take my twists out.

Alma Petra

I'm in. I love wash n goes. They are my go to style. Thanks for starting this challenge.
  • Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) my hair is very coily low porosity and I'm currently at apl.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) currently I'm in twist extensions. I'll take them out by the end of year. I will resume my weekly wash n goes then. I use mainly products from the mane choice, Camille rose, kinky curly, and mielle organics.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I'm aiming for bsl/mbl
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? This coming year I plan to be a self trimmer
  • Any current struggles or concerns? None
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I will share once I take my twists out.
Thank you for joining Coilystep!
Your hair and mine have many things in common. We both have very coily hair and I think we more or less have a similar cut, with bangs and everything.

What is your current trimming practice and how do you plan to trim in 2019?

Can't wait to see photos of your lovely hair in this thread!

Alma Petra

So let me join my own challenge :afro:

• Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
My hair is 4a/4b (I think), medium strands, low density, and high to normal porosity. My nape is at APL stretched while my front is just below my lower lip.
The central parts of my hair (front and crown) have a rough texture and are more frizzy and harder to define. The sides and the very nape are silkier and easier to define but they are my thinning areas unfortunately.​
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
I style in wash and gos, though I'm not always confident enough to wear them out, so I often wear hats and simple African wraps. I hope that this challenge will help me wear my wash and go out more frequently.

I wash every 3 to 4 days.

My current favourite products are:
Prepoo: sunflower oil
Cowash: As I AM Growash or Deva Curl No Poo Original
Leave-in: KCKT
Curl enhancer: UFDCM
Gel: Wet Line Xtreme

But I have a huge stash that I'm looking to get rid of in 2019​
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
BSL hopefully​
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?
  1. To manage to achieve good styling results more consistently
  2. To learn to achieve both definition and the illusion of volume in the same wash and go. Can't say how much I love volume!
  3. To grow my hair long enough to be able to cover the thin areas and feel more confident wearing my wash and go out
  4. To learn how to preserve my WnG over night and how to refresh it in the morning
  5. To have my hair shaped and colored (not very brave to get these done at the moment)
  • Any current struggles or concerns?
As mentioned above​
  1. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)

guudhair

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) very coily back and sides with slightly looser texture on top; multiple patterns; low porosity; MBL I believe
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc). Wash or co-wash weekly or at least bi-weekly; mostly wear wigs until warmer weather since I like to air dry; clay w/acv or aloe for cleansing is my only staple. I’ve been testing several conditioners and styling creams to figure out which ones are keepers.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? WL
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? I want to perfect my wash n go without flakes and crunch using minimal products.
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? Finding staple products and combos...Thinning hair; moisture retention
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) will post a picture NYE or the 1st.

oneastrocurlie

I'm in.

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) - Very coily, type 4. It's in a tapered style and I'm growing it out. If I stretch I'm somewhere between ear length and neck length

What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) - Mostly cowashing every 4-5 days. I DC with heat every other wash day. I use a leave in, some form of styler and a gel or foam to style. Products I'm liking a lot lately are:
NYC Curls Conditioner
Oyin ginger mint cowash
AS I AM Scalp Care Cowash
Mielle Organics Babassu and mint conditioner
UFD Curl Magic
KCNT
DE Almond and Avocado Curl Enhancing Mousse

What are your length goals from joining this challenge? None honestly but I tend to give up trying to grow my hair out and go back to my tapered cut. So not cutting outside of trims every 3-4 months is the goal.

I do plan on retouching my color as it grows

What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Nail down a couple combos that give consistent results.

Any current struggles or concerns? I'm a slow grower. Boo lol. Keeping my color vibrant. Shrinkage galore.

P
lease share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) - I'll post a comparison pic later down the line. But I posted a close up shot from when I got my color and trim at the end of October.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1542060100792~2.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1542060100792~2.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

naturalagain2

1. Please tell us about your hair(texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I think I’m 4a. I have a very tight corkscrew type curls (trying to grow to love my texture).
  2. What is your current regimen(frequency, techniques, products, etc) Will be washing/cowashing every 4 days. Still trying to find out what techniques I like. I use Camille Rose mostly also use Mielle Organics Honey & Pomegranate Line or Alikay Naturals (just started experimenting with this line)
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? Healthy APL
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Finding an easy wash n go technique that I like And learn a way to keep it stretched.
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? My shrinkage is a killer. My hair shrinks terribly.
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) A1092455-C94A-4136-9AF3-FE927D820568.jpeg This pic was taken a few months ago will upload a recent one soon.

Alma Petra

Ladies, welcome :grouphug3: and thank you for joining and activating this challenge!

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) very coily back and sides with slightly looser texture on top; multiple patterns; low porosity; MBL I believe
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc). Wash or co-wash weekly or at least bi-weekly; mostly wear wigs until warmer weather since I like to air dry; clay w/acv or aloe for cleansing is my only staple. I’ve been testing several conditioners and styling creams to figure out which ones are keepers.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? WL
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? I want to perfect my wash n go without flakes and crunch using minimal products.
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? Finding staple products and combos...Thinning hair; moisture retention
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) will post a picture NYE or the 1st.
Hey guudhair, glad to have you with us! What are the products that you are currently using to style that give you crunchiness and flakes?

@Alma Petra your hair looks good and healthy. You styled it nicely and it fits your face well. What do you feel makes you uncomfortable wearing it out?
Thank you for your kind words :kiss:
The issues that make me uncomfortable with my WnG are: very thin hair, lack of volume specially the flat top, and most of the time I find myself unable to cover my thin/bald sides because I just don't have enough hair to pull down and distribute around to cover them :laugh:

I know I've only posted nice photos. I was aiming to entertain. But I've just realized that you can also entertain with fail photos lol

So look at this. I mostly hate how my hair looks see through when the curls are separated
View media item 129943or if they are compacted together it looks very flat View media item 129957If I try to pile the hair on the top to give it volume, I expose the sides. The struggle is real lol

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thank you for joining Coilystep!
Your hair and mine have many things in common. We both have very coily hair and I think we more or less have a similar cut, with bangs and everything.

What is your current trimming practice and how do you plan to trim in 2019?

Can't wait to see photos of your lovely hair in this thread!
I had not trimmed at all for some years. So I decided to let a stylist trim it in the summer. I only wanted her to trim an inch all around however she cut more like 3 to 4 inches. I plan to trim in twists myself this coming year.

Alma Petra

I'm in.

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) - Very coily, type 4. It's in a tapered style and I'm growing it out. If I stretch I'm somewhere between ear length and neck length

What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) - Mostly cowashing every 4-5 days. I DC with heat every other wash day. I use a leave in, some form of styler and a gel or foam to style. Products I'm liking a lot lately are:
NYC Curls Conditioner
Oyin ginger mint cowash
AS I AM Scalp Care Cowash
Mielle Organics Babassu and mint conditioner
UFD Curl Magic
KCNT
DE Almond and Avocado Curl Enhancing Mousse

What are your length goals from joining this challenge? None honestly but I tend to give up trying to grow my hair out and go back to my tapered cut. So not cutting outside of trims every 3-4 months is the goal.

I do plan on retouching my color as it grows

What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Nail down a couple combos that give consistent results.

Any current struggles or concerns? I'm a slow grower. Boo lol. Keeping my color vibrant. Shrinkage galore.

P
lease share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) - I'll post a comparison pic later down the line. But I posted a close up shot from when I got my color and trim at the end of October.
Hey, welcome! I was hoping to see you here!
I know I've told you this before but your color is so beautiful, and your definition is amazing too!

BTW, I bought the NYC conditioner and gel. They were also recommended by Evan Joseph, the stylist. I liked the conditioner as leave-in, but they have such a strong overpowering scent! I don't know if it's just mine or if all of them are like that. Now I'm scared to try them again lol

And I heard you rave about the DE Mousse. I think I have this lying around somewhere. What's the deal with it? You got me very intrigued!

Alma Petra

1. Please tell us about your hair(texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I think I’m 4a. I have a very tight corkscrew type curls (trying to grow to love my texture).
  2. What is your current regimen(frequency, techniques, products, etc) Will be washing/cowashing every 4 days. Still trying to find out what techniques I like. I use Camille Rose mostly also use Mielle Organics Honey & Pomegranate Line or Alikay Naturals (just started experimenting with this line)
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? Healthy APL
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Finding an easy wash n go technique that I like And learn a way to keep it stretched.
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? My shrinkage is a killer. My hair shrinks terribly.
  6. Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) View attachment 439501 This pic was taken a few months ago will upload a recent one soon.

Thank you for joining naturalagain2! Your curl diameter is definitely tight and cute. I love it!! And I love how you got it so defined! Did you achieve this look with CRN?

Btw I've just bought some Alikay Naturals products based on the recommendations of the M.A.D Curls. They are raving about the line and they are currently my favourite Youtubers so I felt obliged to buy these lol. How are you liking it?

Alma Petra

@Alma Petra your hair is very pretty.
Awww thanks dear!

I had not trimmed at all for some years. So I decided to let a stylist trim it in the summer. I only wanted her to trim an inch all around however she cut more like 3 to 4 inches. I plan to trim in twists myself this coming year.

I am thinking of just snipping the ends of some of my curls to round out the shape of my cut (which was done by myself just big chopping at the demarcation line)
Are you going to trim for health or to shape your hair?

guudhair

@Alma Petra I’ve used Camille Rose Curl Maker, Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Textured ID Styling Creme and Ecostyler.

I’ve seen youtubers pick out their roots for more volume with wash n gos. Some blow out their roots for volume as well. I’m gonna try that because I like big hair too.

oneastrocurlie

Hey, welcome! I was hoping to see you here!
I know I've told you this before but your color is so beautiful, and your definition is amazing too!

BTW, I bought the NYC conditioner and gel. They were also recommended by Evan Joseph, the stylist. I liked the conditioner as leave-in, but they have such a strong overpowering scent! I don't know if it's just mine or if all of them are like that. Now I'm scared to try them again lol

And I heard you rave about the DE Mousse. I think I have this lying around somewhere. What's the deal with it? You got me very intrigued!

Thanks! Not sure if I mentioned it already but I go to Evan's salon lol. The scent doesn't linger for me but I agree it is a bit strong.

Not to be a product pusher but the DE Mousse on top of curl magic was a great wash and go combo. A stylist I follow on IG mentioned using it that way.

naturalagain2

Thank you for joining naturalagain2! Your curl diameter is definitely tight and cute. I love it!! And I love how you got it so defined! Did you achieve this look with CRN?

Btw I've just bought some Alikay Naturals products based on the recommendations of the M.A.D Curls. They are raving about the line and they are currently my favourite Youtubers so I felt obliged to buy these lol. How are you liking it?

Thank You @Alma Petra! Not sure what I used in that pic (it’s a few months old). But I usually use Curl Love Moisture Milk and Curlaid Moisture Butter on top and then use either Curl Maker (soft define hold) or Mane Choice Crystal Gel for hard very defined hold or Eco Style Olive Oil Gel.

I haven’t tried anything with Alikay yet except for the Lemongrass Leave In and I love that stuff!! I used it for my wash n go last night. So moisturizing and easy to detangle and smells wonderful. I want to try the Shea Yogurt next to seal for a wash n go since it’s cold. I plan to buy one product at a time and see how they work. I will be buying the Shea Yogurt today to go with the lemongrass leave in. Wil let you know how I like it.

Alma Petra

@Alma Petra I’ve used Camille Rose Curl Maker, Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Textured ID Styling Creme and Ecostyler.

I’ve seen youtubers pick out their roots for more volume with wash n gos. Some blow out their roots for volume as well. I’m gonna try that because I like big hair too.

I will try the pick. I have one buried somewhere, I'll search for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I love CRN Curl Love Moisture Milk. I think it's so moisturizing and you don't need to use too much. I've paired it with Ecostyler Olive Oil and Wet Line Xtreme Gel and managed to not get flakes. In fact it was my go to leave-in when I was texlaxed.

View media item 129959
I still have it but I'm using KCKT more now because it gives my natural hair more definition.

I also noticed that I could get flakes if my hair is dry, so I soak my hair in water and keep scrunching the water in until I make sure my hair is saturated wet, before blotting out some of the water and applying my products. I also get flakes if I use too little leave-in. I know it's counter-intuitive but it happens because too little leave-in leaves my hair dry. Or of course if I use too much leave-in. Some products just don't work well together and will flake up no matter what. My current combo KCKT and UFDCM do not flake in my hair despite curdling up when I first apply them. The curdles magically disappear when I shingle!!

Alma Petra

Thanks! Not sure if I mentioned it already but I go to Evan's salon lol. The scent doesn't linger for me but I agree it is a bit strong.

Not to be a product pusher but the DE Mousse on top of curl magic was a great wash and go combo. A stylist I follow on IG mentioned using it that way.
OMG you do? No I don't think you mentioned it. He's such a cutie, isn't he? I hope he doesn't hear me :giggle:
We love product pushers in this thread, don't we ladies? I should break the mousse out and give it a try. How were the results different from your usual WnG? What leave-in did you use under the two?

metro_qt

I am DEFINITELY in this challenge!!!!
I will be back to answer all questions, so i'm just going to set my post up.

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)

My hair is a 3c/4a/4b. cottony hair, i think the texture is.
I think i have normal to low porosity, but just recently, it feels like the ends of my hair are higher porosity (don't hold water/dries very quickly) vs my roots. I'm all natural. I big chopped from waist length natural hair last sept.
I am currently at CBL.

What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)
I would like to create a proper regimen for 2019.
I usually just wash n go when I don't feel like wearing my wig.... especially now that it's cold out here in Toronto. In the Spring/Summer/Fall I pretty much wash n go all the time.
My fav products are Eco Styler Olive oil gel and anything Shea.

What are your length goals from joining this challenge?
I am very close to APL in back. I would like to end this challenge at BSL in back

What are your styling goals from joining this challenge
To get better and better at beautiful wash n gos that are perfect for my hair texture.
As well. to grow longer curly bangs. can't wait.

Any current struggles or concerns?
Frizz and SUPER SHRINKAGE.
The shrinkage makes me so mad because, a year later, my hair still doesn't hang down in a wash and go. It would rather just stick up.
Please... Please just let me have bangs that hang down.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

Thank You @Alma Petra! Not sure what I used in that pic (it’s a few months old). But I usually use Curl Love Moisture Milk and Curlaid Moisture Butter on top and then use either Curl Maker (soft define hold) or Mane Choice Crystal Gel for hard very defined hold or Eco Style Olive Oil Gel.

I haven’t tried anything with Alikay yet except for the Lemongrass Leave In and I love that stuff!! I used it for my wash n go last night. So moisturizing and easy to detangle and smells wonderful. I want to try the Shea Yogurt next to seal for a wash n go since it’s cold. I plan to buy one product at a time and see how they work. I will be buying the Shea Yogurt today to go with the lemongrass leave in. Wil let you know how I like it.
I have all of these products you mentioned except for TMC Crystal Gel. CRN is one of my most favourite lines and the CLMM used to be my go to leave-in. It's definitely more moisturizing than my current leave-in the KCKT.

So the Alikay product that I have already received is the Creme Brulee Curl Delight. I love love the smell. It feels like oil going on my hair but unlike oil it doesn't frizz my curls, it actually smoothens and defines them. I'm going to keep experimenting with it to see how and where I can incorporate it in my regimen because I really like it a lot. What is coming on the way is the Lemongrass Leave it. Please tell me it doesn't smell like lemons! Also the Cowash, the Berry Gel, and the Dulce Lotion. And yes plz do share your review of the Shea Yogurt because I might want to order it too lol.

oneastrocurlie

OMG you do? No I don't think you mentioned it. He's such a cutie, isn't he? I hope he doesn't hear me :giggle:
We love product pushers in this thread, don't we ladies? I should break the mousse out and give it a try. How were the results different from your usual WnG? What leave-in did you use under the two?

Cheyenne is my stylist there but I've seen his work in action during my appointments. He knows how to work some curls for sure.

Definitely break out that mousse. Its like it sets the definition the curl magic gives you and add more. It's not sticky or anything. I used NYC curls as a rinse out and left a little in as my leave in.

naturalagain2

I have all of these products you mentioned except for TMC Crystal Gel. CRN is one of my most favourite lines and the CLMM used to be my go to leave-in. It's definitely more moisturizing than my current leave-in the KCKT.

So the Alikay product that I have already received is the Creme Brulee Curl Delight. I love love the smell. It feels like oil going on my hair but unlike oil it doesn't frizz my curls, it actually smoothens and defines them. I'm going to keep experimenting with it to see how and where I can incorporate it in my regimen because I really like it a lot. What is coming on the way is the Lemongrass Leave it. Please tell me it doesn't smell like lemons! Also the Cowash, the Berry Gel, and the Dulce Lotion. And yes plz do share your review of the Shea Yogurt because I might want to order it too lol.

Lol yes it has a very strong lemon smell but it’s a sweet smell. I love it. I want to try that Creme Brûlée Curl Delight. Do you use a gel when you use that? Or just that last? Also their cowash as well. Hopefully they have have another sale for Christmas or for the New Year.

FoxxyLocs

• Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I have different textures all over. Front is more coarse and wavy, back is silkier and curly, middle is in between. Low porosity, very dense, medium strands. Length right now is TBL I think but I haven't done a length check all year.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I co-wash every 1-2 weeks. Apply products to soaking wet hair in the shower. I normally use TJ's tea tree conditioner as my co-wash and leave in, Curls hair milk as my moisturizer, then Wetline Xtreme as my gel.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? Just maintaining really. Any length I retain is a bonus.
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Perfecting my technique
  • Any current struggles or concerns? Sometimes I have product buildup at the roots. Need to find a remedy for that.
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I'll post a pic when I wash again
ETA: I'm 4a mostly. Maybe some 3c in the back.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

Cheyenne is my stylist there but I've seen his work in action during my appointments. He knows how to work some curls for sure.

Definitely break out that mousse. Its like it sets the definition the curl magic gives you and add more. It's not sticky or anything. I used NYC curls as a rinse out and left a little in as my leave in.

Perfect! I have all the necessary ingredients, the dreaded NYC curls, the UFDCM and the DE Mousse. I'll let you know how it works for me!

Alma Petra

Lol yes it has a very strong lemon smell but it’s a sweet smell. I love it. I want to try that Creme Brûlée Curl Delight. Do you use a gel when you use that? Or just that last? Also their cowash as well. Hopefully they have have another sale for Christmas or for the New Year.
Oh no! Haha! My beloved UFDCM has a lemony smell too which I'm willing to ignore because it works so good on my hair. If the Lemongrass leave-in proves to be a hit, I'll be in big trouble lol

I tried the Alikay CBCD on it's own. It left my hair very soft but it wasn't powerful enough to define my curls (my hair is naturally very frizzy) or to provide hold. Next I tried it over KCKT and it gave me a result close to but a bit less awesome than when I use UFDCM. It was a huge win though when I tried it on top of both KCKT and UFDCM. It definitely made my curls smoother and even more defined than usual. Usually I use Wet Line Xtreme Gel (WXG) as my third and final product, so I'll continue to experiment and compare to see if there will be a place for the ACBCD in my regimen. I might alternate it with the WXG. It's truly a lovely product. I have previously found products that increase my levels of definition but only when wet. When I diffuse, they frizz up. Not the ACBCD. And now I'm all excited to try other products from this promising line.

Alma Petra

• Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc) I have different textures all over. Front is more coarse and wavy, back is silkier and curly, middle is in between. Low porosity, very dense, medium strands. Length right now is TBL I think but I haven't done a length check all year.
  • What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc) I co-wash every 1-2 weeks. Apply products to soaking wet hair in the shower. I normally use TJ's tea tree conditioner as my co-wash and leave in, Curls hair milk as my moisturizer, then Wetline Xtreme as my gel.
  • What are your length goals from joining this challenge? Just maintaining really. Any length I retain is a bonus.
  • What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? Perfecting my technique
  • Any current struggles or concerns? Sometimes I have product buildup at the roots. Need to find a remedy for that.
  • Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended) I'll post a pic when I wash again
Hi and thank you for joining us!

You are officially our length expert in this challenge lol. Can't wait to see your photos. And maybe you will find some time to share with us some tips on how to retain length while wearing wash and gos.

I get the white product at the root problem sometimes me too, but usually only in the front because it's a smaller section and I tend to apply the same amount of product to it as the other sections lol
If I don't manage to blot it with a paper towel before it dries in my hair, it can be so irritating and force me to actually reset my style.

Are you using the old or the new formula of Wet Line Gel?

FoxxyLocs

Hi and thank you for joining us!

You are officially our length expert in this challenge lol. Can't wait to see your photos. And maybe you will find some time to share with us some tips on how to retain length while wearing wash and gos.

I get the white product at the root problem sometimes me too, but usually only in the front because it's a smaller section and I tend to apply the same amount of product to it as the other sections lol
If I don't manage to blot it with a paper towel before it dries in my hair, it can be so irritating and force me to actually reset my style.

Are you using the old or the new formula of Wet Line Gel?

I'm using the new formula. Sadly I never got to try the old one, but the new one works fine for me. My first love is Eco styler but I think the protein caused some breakage so I stopped using it.

Length retention is easy for me with wash and go's. As long as I use a hard hold gel, my ends don't get tangled. I've been in nothing but WnGs for the past 6 months and I've had very few SSKs or split ends. Light gels don't work for me.

I get at least 7 days from each WnG. Usually after 4-5 days I put it in a ponytail until I'm ready to wash again. That might help with retention too because it's less manipulation.