Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

Does anyone’s hair not stick together after they’ve applied their gel? Or does their hair poof up almost immediately after applying gel? If so, what do you determine to be the reason? Not enough water, too much water, not enough gel, not a strong enough gel, etc.?

If you figure this out, let me know.

This has been happening to me in a few spots. I’ve been so careful about making sure I apply my gel thoroughly. I’m starting to think that I’m not getting enough conditioner to those areas. I’m going to focus on that next wash day.

faithVA

Does anyone’s hair not stick together after they’ve applied their gel? Or does their hair poof up almost immediately after applying gel? If so, what do you determine to be the reason? Not enough water, too much water, not enough gel, not a strong enough gel, etc.?
My hair used to poof up after applying gel. But it was a series of things and not one thing.
1. I had to wet my hair more often. I couldn't let my hair get dehydrated and then think the gel was going to hold it down. This was my problem this month. My hair felt fine but it didn't curl right. I had to go back to rinsing every 3 days instead of 5. For me it makes the difference.

2. My hair doesn't hold water well, so I get it as wet as possible putting the sprayer right on my hair like they do at the salon. And within 30 seconds start applying the gel. Then I apply more water. Then more gel.

3. I also have to make sure I don't use too much conditioner too often. Sometimes its faster to cowash but I can do that once before I need to use a cleanser. My hair builds up quick.

I have found that there are gels that won't work on my hair no matter what I do. But the 3 reasons above are with gels I know that work.

You can also try the following:
Really work the gel into your ends. I have had problems with moisture leeching out through my ends.

Unfortunately it could be a number of things. All the things you mentioned can cause that to happen. (sorry)

faithVA

I did my hair Sunday. I had planned on doing it yesterday, but I was so lazy. So I did it this morning. And surprisingly it turned out nice :perplexed: I cleansed with the Hair Rules No Suds cleanser. Then I used the Aloeba Conditioner. I actually let it sit while I showered. I usually don't. Then I detangled. I used the Kinky Curly because I didn't feel like looking for my other bottle of UFD. Then I added water, squished it in. Then I added a lot more gel. I didn't bother with the ICH.

After a few minutes I shook it and it looked OK like it wanted to clump. Then my SO asked me if I colored my hair. Nope! Not sure why my hair looked so dry Sunday through Wednesday but today it looks OK.

I will try it again Sunday and see if I can duplicate it with the UFD.

GettingKinky

Is this air dried, diffused or under the dryer? Does it hang better if you use the dryer?

that was diffusing. I don’t have a hooded dryer. But when the As did my hair it had a lot more hang time, but the curls were also more stretched out than I like.

GettingKinky

Before I hopped in the shower today I read all my notes from my best wash n gos. I think I’m going to do this every week so that I always remember all my best practices.

GettingKinky

I rejoined the digital salon. I think I will hang out there for a few months and see if I pick up any more techniques. The last time I got my hair cut I purchased Innersense Inner Peace and I only used it once, but they are talking about it over there so I may try it again.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Anyone into glycerin based gels, try out The Doux Big Poppa Gel.

On her instagram page she said you didnt need a leave in but the jar says prep the hair with the Mousse before styling. I didnt use a leave in and my hair turned out fine .

GettingKinky

I spent some time rereading a bunch of posts from 2019. I STRUGGLED for so long with my wash n gos. It took me a long time to piece together all the critical steps, and I had to learn to be less lazy with my product application.

I’m in a much better place now. I think part of it is that I have my technique down and another part is that I’m more accepting of what my hair looks like.

I just need to remember all the right things to do in the shower. I made my self a checklist to read before every wash.

I stocked up on
UFD - they’re having a sale!
Kinky Curly Knot Today
I Create Hold

I just need to buy a liter of conditioner and I will be set product-wise for months.

faithVA

I spent some time rereading a bunch of posts from 2019. I STRUGGLED for so long with my wash n gos. It took me a long time to piece together all the critical steps, and I had to learn to be less lazy with my product application.

I’m in a much better place now. I think part of it is that I have my technique down and another part is that I’m more accepting of what my hair looks like.

I just need to remember all the right things to do in the shower. I made my self a checklist to read before every wash.

I stocked up on
UFD - they’re having a sale!
Kinky Curly Knot Today
I Create Hold

I just need to buy a liter of conditioner and I will be set product-wise for months.
@GettingKinky, Is there a code for the sale? I see the ad that says they are having a sale but I don't see any discount in my cart or on the product page.

VictoriousBrownFlower

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

I have this issue when I either don't use enough gel or don't use a strong gel. For example with UFD Curly Magic, I learned that I have to use quite a bit to properly clump my curls. I also squeeze the section to make sure it gets to every hair strand.

In contrast, Eco Olive Oil is a heavier, stronger hold gel for me, and it takes less effort and gel to get it to work.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I need a blow dryer with a diffuser so I can dry my hair before bed. It’s always smushed because I started it at 5 pm and even after air drying for 4 hours it’s still wet before bed.

I tried to order a dyson but I had issues with it being delivered and got fed up and never reordered

Attachments

• 4E5DE9AB-CB23-4987-AECC-DDA0D207A468.jpeg
    4E5DE9AB-CB23-4987-AECC-DDA0D207A468.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 40

faithVA

I need a blow dryer with a diffuser so I can dry my hair before bed. It’s always smushed because I started it at 5 pm and even after air drying for 4 hours it’s still wet before bed.

I tried to order a dyson but I had issues with it being delivered and got fed up and never reordered
Do you have a blow dryer at all? While you are waiting for the diffuser, you can use just a blow dryer. Just hold it away from your head similar to a hair dryer and keep it pointed downwards. You can then gently lift with a pick or something to get some airflow to the roots.

It's not a perfect solution but it works in a pinch. I have a diffuser but many times I still just blow dry it because I find it clumps my curls better. I just start drying from the type and then move the blow dryer in specific directions to place my curls where I want.

I know my hair is shorter but if you keep the blow dryer angled down it can at least help reduce the drying time.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Do you have a blow dryer at all? While you are waiting for the diffuser, you can use just a blow dryer. Just hold it away from your head similar to a hair dryer and keep it pointed downwards. You can then gently lift with a pick or something to get some airflow to the roots.

It's not a perfect solution but it works in a pinch. I have a diffuser but many times I still just blow dry it because I find it clumps my curls better. I just start drying from the type and then move the blow dryer in specific directions to place my curls where I want.

I know my hair is shorter but if you keep the blow dryer angled down it can at least help reduce the drying time.

I tried and it just gets too hot and then i have to push the cool button and hold it down and angle at the same time. I also have a sit under dryer but it blows my hair up so I dont use it.

I have a infinit pro in my amazon cart with a diffuser. @faithVA

faithVA

I tried and it just gets too hot and then i have to push the cool button and hold it down and angle at the same time. I also have a sit under dryer but it blows my hair up so I dont use it.

I have a infinit pro in my amazon cart with a diffuser. @faithVA
OK I understand. Yeah if it is too hot, then it is time for a new one. I blow dry on the cool setting and even that is warm.

Kiaray8

40319F59-91F3-4B29-A18E-42F2CC3FE67B.jpeg 21F29033-5D9D-4A70-B007-77C21EA7B14B.jpeg I’ve been switching up my wash and go routine. I can’t get wetline in the UK anymore the green top one so I’m trying to find natural alternatives. Half up & half down is the as I am leave in, double butter cream & curling jelly which mixed nice. My hair was elongated and the effect was similar to wetline but the tub is just so small for the price. 7th August was the Jane Carter curls to go I adore the leave in but the gel flaked terribly. Search continues I think I might just revisit Aunt Jackies ice curls. Majority of the natural gels I find even if I like them the quantity is not worth the price and the results aren’t as long lasting.

faithVA

View attachment 462049 View attachment 462047 I’ve been switching up my wash and go routine. I can’t get wetline in the UK anymore the green top one so I’m trying to find natural alternatives. Half up & half down is the as I am leave in, double butter cream & curling jelly which mixed nice. My hair was elongated and the effect was similar to wetline but the tub is just so small for the price. 7th August was the Jane Carter curls to go I adore the leave in but the gel flaked terribly. Search continues I think I might just revisit Aunt Jackies ice curls. Majority of the natural gels I find even if I like them the quantity is not worth the price and the results aren’t as long lasting.
Thank you for sharing your curls with us. So lovely. And I see all different shapes and sizes.

Kiaray8

Thank you for sharing your curls with us. So lovely. And I see all different shapes and sizes.
Thank you! I honestly love this thread since I realised how to do WnGs properly. Yeah I think I have different curl patterns/textures going on as the front & middle curls are larger.