Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

naturalagain2

I've gotten a lot of compliments on my wash and go as of late. Makes me feel good and want to stick with this style. I used to hate how my hair looked. Trying to embrace my small coils/massive shrinkage and slowly I am. I washed my hair on Friday and decided to do a clay treatment (which I haven't done in a LONG time). Talk about hang time! I think I will keep this in my regimen to do 2 - 3 times a month and use along with the products that I get from my hairdresser. I usually make my own but decided to buy Naturalicious products and try it. I love it and you don't have to use much.

I washed with the Moroccan Rhassoul 5in1 Clay Treatment. Made sure I rinsed my hair with warm water for a minute or two before using. Then washed my hair in sections. Rinsed and did a ACV rinse. My hair was so soft and lush feeling afterwards. Then I reapplied the Clay treatment in sections and added Naturalicious Divine Shine Moisture Lock & Frizz Fighter Oil (I had warmed the bottle up in a cup of hot water while I washed my hair) on top. Then sat under the dryer for a deep condition/hot oil treatment for 30 mins. Talk about hair smooth as butter!! I rinsed it out with warm water then my final rinse was cold water. I used Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter as a leave-in and then used Aunt Jessie's Ice Curls Glossy Curling Jelly.

This time I was too lazy to shingle so I just smoothed and raked. My hair came out very well with this method too! I will add this technique when I'm not in the mood to shingle. My wash and go's are the best they've ever looked.

toaster

My leave in and mousse wash and go still looks great. I’m on day 3 and post 2 workouts.

Tomorrow is my scheduled wash day.

I don’t see a clear difference between leave in and mousse and uncle funky’s and mousse. I sat under the dryer for 15 minutes less with leave in and mousse, so that’s a positive.

Time in the shower was almost exactly the same, so it’s not necessarily faster.

It might be cheaper? I have to compare the price of quiet calm and uncle funky’s. Mousse def is very affordable, but I used... 48 pumps of mousse versus 27 pumps when I use gel.

I definitely think for traveling, just bringing a leave in and mousse would be easier than bringing gel?

I’m not sure. I have a TON of uncle funky’s since I bought the liter size pump bottle.

Editing to add pics of my hair on Day 4. About to hop in the shower and wash. This hair has survived being rained on during a quick walk and 3 workouts.

Going to use the leave in and mousse again right now. D8BC9D28-0B06-4521-9B02-90C91488CC8B.jpeg355EC75F-DB9D-4578-BE6C-893E8C5E867D.jpeg

Last edited:

toaster

@toaster did you say that you used 40 pumps of foam for your wash n go? I tried another foam only wash n go today so I decided to count. I only used 16. Maybe I’m not using nearly enough.
I swear I’m overusing product. Whenever I look at the doux’s Instagram their clients hair is white with mousse, and even though I use a ton I never have enough to make my hair white.

In my usual three sections I applied two dollops of quiet calm to each section. Then I divide each section into six and rake 2 pumps of mousse through each smaller section. So that’s 12 pumps. And then I take 4 pumps in my hand and rake through the entire section for a total of 16 pumps.

Over the three sections that’s 48 pumps.

On Sunday I’ll try it without quiet calm underneath. My plan will be to rake 6 pumps through a section. Do my usual 12 pumps in the six smaller sections. And then see if I need more.

GettingKinky

I swear I’m overusing product. Whenever I look at the doux’s Instagram their clients hair is white with mousse, and even though I use a ton I never have enough to make my hair white.

In my usual three sections I applied two dollops of quiet calm to each section. Then I divide each section into six and rake 2 pumps of mousse through each smaller section. So that’s 12 pumps. And then I take 4 pumps in my hand and rake through the entire section for a total of 16 pumps.

Over the three sections that’s 48 pumps.

On Sunday I’ll try it without quiet calm underneath. My plan will be to rake 6 pumps through a section. Do my usual 12 pumps in the six smaller sections. And then see if I need more.

I started with my hair in four sections. I do one pump to cover the lower half of the section. One pump to cover the midlength and then a 3rd pump for the roots. Then I rake it through. So that ends up being 12 pumps. Then I go through my hair one more time and rake it well and add more if I find spots I missed. My hair was definitely white and foamy. But my set only lasts 2 days. Maybe it would last longer if I used more.

toaster

I started with my hair in four sections. I do one pump to cover the lower half of the section. One pump to cover the midlength and then a 3rd pump for the roots. Then I rake it through. So that ends up being 12 pumps. Then I go through my hair one more time and rake it well and add more if I find spots I missed. My hair was definitely white and foamy. But my set only lasts 2 days. Maybe it would last longer if I used more.

Oh maybe I should try using less!

I am absolutely loving the results over the quiet calm. Innersense calls quiet calm a styling cream but it doesn’t have much hold, if any.

I was going to try mousse only on my next wash, but I think I’ll stick with this combo until I run out of quiet calm, and then I’ll try mousse only.

GettingKinky

Oh maybe I should try using less!

I am absolutely loving the results over the quiet calm. Innersense calls quiet calm a styling cream but it doesn’t have much hold, if any.

I was going to try mousse only on my next wash, but I think I’ll stick with this combo until I run out of quiet calm, and then I’ll try mousse only.

I don’t have the quiet calm. I was going to use KCKT underneath, but I decided to stick with one product especially since I’m planning to wash again on Saturday.

Shadow_Lace

Usual Pre-Wash routine, same products as the last post.

I washed my hair with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea. Next, I used Miche Strengthen Protein/Moisture Balancing Deep Conditioner as my balancing dc.

(On soaking wet hair) I smoothed OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Creme, then re-sectioned my hair.
(On initially damp but added water to re-wet) I smoothed Dippity~Do Girls with Curls Gelee, onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair for a wash n go.

Passed the wet mix test (long ago)
However these 2 products don't mesh at all for the dry mix test.

The Dippity~Do Girls with Curls Gelee is marketed as a light hold gel.

I'd say the hold is more of a the light-medium level.

The consistency reminds me of the old Eco-Style Curls & Waves gel.
It's very much a gel, but dissolves quickly upon contact with my hair.
If that makes any sense?

The scent is mostly fresh, with a hint of a Red Apple scent.
If you've ever smelled the Country Apple scent from B&BW?
Then it's reminiscent of that one.

Does contain:
Aloe Vera
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

No:
Coconut Oil
Or any butters

While the directions are for use on towel-dried &/or damp hair....

I find with this particular leave-in (the OGX Pracaxi Oil).
That there's less risk of curdling, when applied on wetter hair.

I'm still looking for the right balance of gels/gelees/jelly hair styling products, vs. cremes/leave-in cremes etc.

I'm come back later with more on the hold.

ETA:
My bad y'all!
The Dippity~Do Gelee doesn't contain any Glycerin!
Sorry about that!

Last edited:

faithVA

@toaster , @GettingKinky (OMG)

40 pumps and 48 pumps and 27 pumps (OMG) :lol: That is a lot of product. I can see why people try to find different products. But I guess that is what length will get you.

I tried using just the Doux. Foam makes my hair straight :sad: I don't have a coil left in my head when I use it. I used it this morning and just put on a microfiber wrap to keep it tucked away. But it is great when I want to bun.

It is amazing how different hair is.

GettingKinky

40 pumps and 48 pumps and 27 pumps (OMG) :lol: That is a lot of product. I can see why people try to find different products. But I guess that is what length will get you.

I tried using just the Doux. Foam makes my hair straight :sad: I don't have a coil left in my head when I use it. I used it this morning and just put on a microfiber wrap to keep it tucked away. But it is great when I want to bun.

Interesting that foam doesn’t define your curls. I’m in love with foam, if only the result would last 4 days. I’m on day 2 right now so that’s one day longer than the last time I tried. I think diffusing a little helped.

faithVA

Interesting that foam doesn’t define your curls. I’m in love with foam, if only the result would last 4 days. I’m on day 2 right now so that’s one day longer than the last time I tried. I think diffusing a little helped.
I think its too much hold which is weird. Maybe when it gets longer. I do love using the foam. It makes everything easier.

toaster

You know I don’t know what I’m doing!!

All I can go off of is what happened when I got my hair done by my stylist and he used a LOT of product. So I’m going to keep pumping it out lol.

I’ve hyped myself up to try mousse only on Sunday.

It made your hair straight?? Wow. I’ve seen the creator use it as a blow dry cream for her blow outs. She also used it on someone’s wash and go... but she blow dried their hair first and then applied the product. Said it gave the client less shrinkage.

What a strange product.

Shadow_Lace

@Shadow_Lace OMG I haven’t thought about Dippity Do since the 80s. I didn’t know they were still around.

I originally saw this gel pop up in random Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshall's type stores.
That was like over a decade ago...
I only really decided to try it out, after a few of my fav, Youtubers started preferring it as a styling product.

I like not only the price for the size....
But also it containing 2 ingredients (that I rarely can find) in a gel product together:
Aloe Vera & Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein!

toaster

Under the dryer with my Doux mousse only wash and go. Without any product underneath it really foams and spreads more easily. I still used a ton of pumps, but I can see why they say it’s a 1 step product.

If I’m going to let my hair get any longer I need a shower bench. I did the front half of my head sitting down on the shower floor.

Shadow_Lace

Usual pre-wash routine & products. Sectioned my hair into 3 braids then turned those into braided Bantu Knots.
Repeated the same process on the other side.
Covered with a plastic cap.

I washed my hair with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea.
Next, I used Oyin Handmade What the Hemp dc as my protein/moisture balancing dc.
(Total wash portion kept my braided through out)

Skipped the leave-in.

(On soaking wet hair) I lightly detangled my hair with the JAZZUPMYCURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream (with Cold-Pressed Grapeseed Oil & Shea Butter)
After I sprayed it with regular water & added more warm-lukewarm water to the section...

I smoothed a tad more of the Grapeseed Buttercream onto each particular section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

The JAZZUPMYCURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream is still my go-to moisturizing creme styling product.

However, I don't use it primarily for the holding power...

But for the moisturizing properties, & it's ease of use:

Easiest product to refresh afterwards.
No unnecessary buildup on my scalp.
No skin flare-ups!
Great slip!
Nice scent!

Does have:
Aloe Vera
Vegetable Glycerin

NO:
Coconut Oil!!

toaster

These aren’t the best photos, but on the left is 3 days after my haircut and on the right is today. 1 month and 5 days between them.

On the left my stylist used uncle funky’s and Sebastian twisted foam. On the right I used mousse def.

I think it’s a mix of different styling products and maybe a little growth?

A4D723C7-94D7-45CA-BD55-C7B04F75FED5.jpeg

faithVA

These aren’t the best photos, but on the left is 3 days after my haircut and on the right is today. 1 month and 5 days between them.

On the left my stylist used uncle funky’s and Sebastian twisted foam. On the right I used mousse def.

I think it’s a mix of different styling products and maybe a little growth?

View attachment 464501
Wow! It looks a lot longer.

faithVA

It does! I think the mousse alone is super elongating. Also I had just started doing wash and go’s 2 weeks prior to my salon appointment, so I think my hair is much more hydrated over a month later. Maybe my hair hangs a bit longer as it gets hydrated.
That sounds very possible. Maybe that is why my hair seems straight when I use the mousse. My hair is super short and maybe too much elongation at this length.

But your hair is probably just longer :look: :lol:

LavenderMint

Wooooooo boy do I have a lot to catch up on!!
Tuesday I did a wash and go for the first time in a loooooong time because my hair appointment tomorrow requires it. I clarified with Kinky Curly Come Clean, conditioned and detangled with the Denman 38 and Aussie Moist and skipped deep conditioning because I don’t have any without oils (which is another requirement for this appointment). Then I used the Kinky Curly Coiling Custard.... I must be heavy handed too because I’ve got the barest corner of gel left in that jar. (Although I know my hair is chronically dry & I wonder if that makes a difference in how much gel I need to use.) I also used the denman again to help separate my curls and I think 1- it either wiped away some gel, 2- just made some sections frizzy, or 3- sections of my hair are so dry that they suck up gel & get frizzy.
It was late when I was done and I banded in 3 sections before putting on my bonnet & sleeping.
The yellow shirt pics are basically day 1 hair & I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.
The pink shirt picture is today.
46FD3111-D4B3-4823-9A2C-67199063A034.jpegCEC43679-9E78-45A2-9860-36A96813BA67.jpeg7095A58D-E726-4D27-83FA-D056110D89DE.jpeg

LavenderMint

It’s interesting you all are mentioning the Doux’s mousse. My sister called me in tears earlier this week because she tried a wng with the leave-in and the mousse for the first time. It left her looking like she was “cosplaying Fredrick Douglass” (her words)- which is fine if that’s the results you’re used to but her wng usually look like twist outs. She said she’s used it before for twist-outs with great results but not a wng. I’ve never seen her so upset about her hair. Seeing that you guys used it successfully for wng, I’ll ask her about it.
(And I have it too so I’m taking notes!)