Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

who are your favorites?
Lately @curlsbycandace has been a good follow. She cuts a lot of longer haired women so it’s nice to see their shapes and get some inspiration for the future. And of course Mona is one of my faves. Her cuts that she posts are always so artistic, I almost feel bad being a client and just getting a boring shape.

faithVA

toaster

It looks fabulous. Super defined and looks very moisturized.
Thank you! I’m pretty surprised by the results, but I love it so far.

I’ll obviously have to try this again to see if I continue to get good results.

The wet brush makes me nervous because it has balls on the end, but my hair was very detangled, even more so than when I use the Felicia leatherwood brush.

GettingKinky

Lately @curlsbycandace has been a good follow. She cuts a lot of longer haired women so it’s nice to see their shapes and get some inspiration for the future. And of course Mona is one of my faves. Her cuts that she posts are always so artistic, I almost feel bad being a client and just getting a boring shape.
That’s one of the reasons I didn’t go to her for a haircut when she did a pop up near me. She was charging a lot and I wasn’t brave enough to let her work her magic.

I’m going to check out @curlsbycandace.

toaster

I booked in for a curly cut in December with Mona’s former assistant. He washed and styled my hair in September, and now he’s taking cutting clients! I’m saving over $100 and his portfolio of cuts is stunning. He’s been training with her for 3 years. I’m excited! Hoping to just keep the shape with the goal of continuing to grow it out.

GettingKinky

I booked in for a curly cut in December with Mona’s former assistant. He washed and styled my hair in September, and now he’s taking cutting clients! I’m saving over $100 and his portfolio of cuts is stunning. He’s been training with her for 3 years. I’m excited! Hoping to just keep the shape with the goal of continuing to grow it out.
I saw her announce that on IG. I would definitely go to him if I were in NY.

faithVA

I'm not loving my new cut just yet. I noticed when she uses just a small amount of gel, I get more elongation, less definition but also shorter wear time. I use more gel and get more definition, less elongation and longer wear time. So, what looked good when I walked out of the salon doesn't look good when I get home. It is going to take a month before it grows out a bit for me to enjoy this.

I am still learning what I want, what I like and how things work.

GettingKinky

I'm not loving my new cut just yet. I noticed when she uses just a small amount of gel, I get more elongation, less definition but also shorter wear time. I use more gel and get more definition, less elongation and longer wear time. So, what looked good when I walked out of the salon doesn't look good when I get home. It is going to take a month before it grows out a bit for me to enjoy this.

I am still learning what I want, what I like and how things work.
Maybe next time you can get a dry cut on your own styling. There is definitely a learning curve to getting a good cut.

When I got my first curly cut, my hair was not in good condition she had me come in with no product on my hair and did a dry cut. So that meant she started from a place where my hair looked pretty crazy. She made it look better, but it didn’t set me up well for growing it out. Now that I know better, I realize that she cut too much from my crown, and it’s taking forever for it to grow back.

faithVA

Maybe next time you can get a dry cut on your own styling. There is definitely a learning curve to getting a good cut.

When I got my first curly cut, my hair was not in good condition she had me come in with no product on my hair and did a dry cut. So that meant she started from a place where my hair looked pretty crazy. She made it look better, but it didn’t set me up well for growing it out. Now that I know better, I realize that she cut too much from my crown, and it’s taking forever for it to grow back.

I think when it is longer I can do a dry cut. I typically wear my hair super shrunken, so not sure she could really shape that.

I agree, there is definitely a learning curve to get a good cut. I think this is a good cut, but because I wear my hair so shrunken, it will be a month or two before my shrunken hair looks like the salon visit hair if that makes sense.

That helped talking that out. I got a good cut and it is going to grow out well. I just have to realize that there will be a 1 or 2 month window before the two match up.

I could tell as she was cutting it she could see the shape in her head. I'm just moaning about nothing.

faithVA

I'm thinking about what I should buy for Black Friday. I love having such a simple regimen now. I need very few products. So of course getting a few bottles of UFD and maybe 2 bottles of ICH. But I was thinking about getting 1 bottle of Trepadora. I realized I have no idea what it is for.

Why are you ladies using it? Why 3 layers versus just 2? Or if you are just using 2 layers with the Trepadora, why Trepadora versus ICH?

Excuse my spelling if it is wrong.

GettingKinky

I'm thinking about what I should buy for Black Friday. I love having such a simple regimen now. I need very few products. So of course getting a few bottles of UFD and maybe 2 bottles of ICH. But I was thinking about getting 1 bottle of Trepadora. I realized I have no idea what it is for.

Why are you ladies using it? Why 3 layers versus just 2? Or if you are just using 2 layers with the Trepadora, why Trepadora versus ICH?

Excuse my spelling if it is wrong.
I haven’t graduated to using 3 stylers yet, but the 3rd styler is supposed to be an anti-humectant so it keeps your hair from getting frizzy if the air is too wet or too dry. Here in CA the humidity doesn’t change that much so I don’t think I really need a 3rd styler. I may play around with one to try and get a more matte finish to my hair. I don’t like when it has that artificial shiny look.

toaster

@faithVA I’m sorry you don’t love your cut. I get what you mean about how you wear your hair vs how they style it. I bet by January it’s starting form into the shape she cut for you. In the interim you can always wear your slap cap!

I’ve been thinking about Black Friday too. Need to do at least 2 more kinky curly wash and go’s before I stock up on them. Need at least another big bottle of UFD.

And what I really think I want is a clarifying shampoo with sulfates. I love Innersense hydrating hair bath and briogeo curl charisma conditioner. I just need to clarify shampoo occasionally.

faithVA

I haven’t graduated to using 3 stylers yet, but the 3rd styler is supposed to be an anti-humectant so it keeps your hair from getting frizzy if the air is too wet or too dry. Here in CA the humidity doesn’t change that much so I don’t think I really need a 3rd styler. I may play around with one to try and get a more matte finish to my hair. I don’t like when it has that artificial shiny look.
OK We have a lot of humidity changes in VA. I remember the A's talking about coming to DC and not being ready for the humidity here. I don't remember any of their suggestions.

faithVA

@faithVA I’m sorry you don’t love your cut. I get what you mean about how you wear your hair vs how they style it. I bet by January it’s starting form into the shape she cut for you. In the interim you can always wear your slap cap!

I’ve been thinking about Black Friday too. Need to do at least 2 more kinky curly wash and go’s before I stock up on them. Need at least another big bottle of UFD.

And what I really think I want is a clarifying shampoo with sulfates. I love Innersense hydrating hair bath and briogeo curl charisma conditioner. I just need to clarify shampoo occasionally.
Yeah, I will get over it. Just impatient (lol). And the slap cap is already on. I now have 3 so I'm good to go for the winter.

I like the Elucence's clarifying and moisturizing shampoos. Even for my dry sensitive hair they work nicely. And I bought a small bottle of both in March and have barely touched either. I shampoo once with the clarifying shampoo and then follow it up with the moisturizing shampoo.

GettingKinky

I love the kinky curly shampoo. It’s a clarifying shampoo, even though they say it’s a moisturizing shampoo, and I love the way it smells (citrusy). It’s doesn’t have sulfates but it has a very strong surfactant, c14-16 olefin sulfonate. It gets my hair really clean.

GettingKinky

Yessss keep us updated! UFD is like the ultimate leave in for MD.
I like the way the UFD + MD turned out. But my hair is shinier than when I use MD by itself and it took much longer to dry. But if it lasts 3 days it may become my midweek routine.
Once I finish my kinky curly knot today I may just switch to UFD as my base all the time. I just wish it came in a different fragrance.
This weekend I’m going to try KCKT+ ICH + IP

Shadow_Lace

Finally back into the swing of things with my Pre-Wash Routine!

As I Am JBCO Water as my refresher spray & majority water product.
Eden Bodyworks Hibiscus Honey Hair Tonic as my lighter refresher mist.
Kreyol Essence HBCO Rosemary Mint as my scalp (problem areas) treatment.
More of the EBW HH Hair Tonic, followed by the As I Am JBCO Water.
Additional handfuls of warm water onto my hair.
Used TMC Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner as my main detangling agent.
3 braids on either side of removed matting/shedding & thoroughly detangled hair.
Covered with a plastic conditioning cap.

I washed my hair with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea.
Next, for a nice strengthening treatment, I used Giovanni NutraFix Hair Reconstructor.

Section by section,
Rinsed off the scalp/roots, unraveled each braid, lightly detangled and rinsed the entire section.
Put that section into a smaller Bantu Knot.

(On wet-to-damp hair) I smoothed OGX Pracaxi Oil Combing Cream, then re-sectioned my hair.
My XL microfiber towel from Lexxa Collection was used to dampen my hair.

(On damp hair) I smoothed Herbal Essences Mango & Aloe Curl Cream onto each section.

As a finisher, sealant & anti-humidity product...
I lightly scrunched and patted the Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Luxurious Hair Serum (Cherry Blossom + Rose Petals) onto my hair.

I'm currently air-drying my hair for a wash n go.

While I do miss the OGX dry oil mists, those may be discontinued... :confused:

Here's to hoping the Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Luxurious Hair Serum (Cherry Blossom + Rose Petals) will be a great alternative!

This is a true serum.
Basically a thick, clear, liquid product.
While I applied it on my damp hair on top of my styling product...
The directions advise for use on wet or dry hair.

Very nice scent, faintly smells more of the rose scent.
Overall, there's a nice blend of the cherry blossom scent, as well.

Only a little is needed for application!
Great slip!
It played well with my other hair products.

GettingKinky

I don’t want to, but I think I’ll be getting a week out of my kinky curly wash and go. If I can find time, I’ll wash tonight. But work has been very hectic.
Kinky curly works very well. But for some reason my hair always was a bit stringy when I used it. You are tempting me to try it again, but I have so much ICH, UFD, MD and IP that I don’t need to buy any more products.