Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I bought 3 UFD gels @30% off. That is a good deal for me. That gives me 3 bottles for the price of 1/2. I decided to skip the Innersense because it was only 20% off. I think I have a 20% off coupon so I can buy that whenever. I will also save the Trepadora purchase until it gets warm and I see how my hair acts. I didn't even go out enough this summer to worry about whether my hair frizzes or not :lol:

toaster

I bought 3 UFD gels @30% off. That is a good deal for me. That gives me 3 bottles for the price of 1/2. I decided to skip the Innersense because it was only 20% off. I think I have a 20% off coupon so I can buy that whenever. I will also save the Trepadora purchase until it gets warm and I see how my hair acts. I didn't even go out enough this summer to worry about whether my hair frizzes or not :lol:
Nice haul and savings!

I started doing wash and go’s in September and I don’t leave our apartment so I have no idea how the elements will impact my hair.

We will be spending 2/3 weeks in South Carolina this January, so that will be a test.

How is your haircut growing in?

Shadow_Lace

Finally went back to my Pre-Wash Routine (I think I'm going to aim for doing these less often than every single wash day, just haven't decided upon the frequency).

Products used:
As I Am JBCO Water
Eden Bodyworks Hibiscus Honey Hair Tonic
Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oil Rosemary Mint
The Mane Choice Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner

Only to wind-up with 6 braids of removed shedding/matting & detangled hair.
Covered with a plastic conditioning cap.

I washed my hair with Qhemet Biologics Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea.
For my protein treatment, the Emergencia Keratin Repair Formula Deep Intense Hair Treatment.
Next, I used Briogeo Kiwi + Avocado Mega Moisture Superfood Mask as my d/c.

Upon gently rinsing my roots/scalp, and going section by section...

Unraveled each braid, under running water, and lightly detangled my hair.

(On soaking wet hair) I sprayed Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-In, followed by smoothing the Alikay Naturals Dulce Hydrating Curl Lotion, & then re-sectioned my hair.

(On damp hair) I raked, then smoothed Xtreme Clear gel onto my hair.
I'm currently air-drying my hair for a wash n go.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Styled my hair this past Saturday with Coco Black Naturals Curling Custard. ITs the best styler for a washngo I have had for elongation and hold. Better than even KCCC and Wet line combo. HOWEVER , the glycerin it in has/had my hair like rock formation. This is better suited for me during the warmer months. I might try it out with QB products to see if it helps. I refreshed it last night and it helped. Soon as the water hit my hair my curls boinged back and the hair softened up. Once I hit that brick NJ air though my hair is back to firm.

Company is based in Ghana, there is a supplier in NY that I purchased from. The price point isn't the best . Along the lines of Miss Jessies.

toaster

Styled my hair this past Saturday with Coco Black Naturals Curling Custard. ITs the best styler for a washngo I have had for elongation and hold. Better than even KCCC and Wet line combo. HOWEVER , the glycerin it in has/had my hair like rock formation. This is better suited for me during the warmer months. I might try it out with QB products to see if it helps. I refreshed it last night and it helped. Soon as the water hit my hair my curls boinged back and the hair softened up. Once I hit that brick NJ air though my hair is back to firm.

Company is based in Ghana, there is a supplier in NY that I purchased from. The price point isn't the best . Along the lines of Miss Jessies.

Omg she’s lovely! I’ll have to subscribe.

Hair looked wonderful, but crunchy.

When you used it did the color get on your clothes/towels?

I’m intrigued!

Shadow_Lace

Skipped my Pre-Wash Routine.

I used TMC Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner as my co-wash & detangling agent.
Split my hair into 2 sections.
Brushed the c/o into my hair, sectioned my hair into 3.
Brushed through each smaller section, then braided the detangled hair.
Repeated on the other side.

I cleansed my hair with Not Your Mother's Sicilian Blood Orange & Black Currant Shampoo.
Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Mask as my anti-shedding/strengthening d/c.

Gently rinsed my roots/scalp. Section by section...
Unraveled each braid, gently detangled under running water, and then re-sectioned my hair.

(On damp hair) I raked then smoothed JAZZ UP MY CURLZ Grapeseed Buttercream, then put the 3 sections into one braid.

(On re-wet hair) I raked then smoothed the JUMC Grapeseed Buttercream onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

Whelp, I'm back to a creme only wash n go.
Honestly it's due to the climate: temperature & dew points, and more importantly that I didn't feel like using any gel.:look:

toaster

I'll admit, she lost me at shingling. I can't. Lol.
LOL! Her results were nice but in the video she did with her boyfriend she said the product flakes all the time. That’s where she lost me.

But her results were really pretty and I bet it does work really well.

I’m on a mission to use my kinky curly products mostly for the first 3 months of the year (and this month too) and then reevaluate.

LavenderMint

My only hair related BF/CM purchase was a buff. Ive been suffering from FOMO since but I’m ultimately glad I didn’t spend more.

I just came out of my 2wk old flat twists & I was sorely tempted to keep the twist-out because it was truly cute :gorgeous: but my scalp was crying (and my ends were dryyyyyy).

I used the CD Black Vanilla shampoo after soaking & rinsing my hair, no prepoo product. The longer I wet it, the more shed hairs came out. There weren’t any snags and as my curls reformed, I was still able to run my fingers through, root to tip. The shampoo seemed to change that but not by a lot.
I deep conditioned with Crece Pelo for about 20 minutes, detangled & rinsed.
I tried using the UFD in bigger sections, with frequent misting & squishing it in... I still probably use more than I should.
Since I’m trying to use up my stash, I tried the Aussie Instant Freeze gel as a topper. Squeezed into my hands, emulsified, and applied on top of UFD in each section with praying hands... so far, I like the results so we’ll see how it turns out. I know it’s probably not an “approved” gel but I bought it and I’m not going to waste my money.
I’ll post a pic some point over the weekend

oneastrocurlie

Two more washes before my haircut!

I’ll wash tomorrow morning and then probably Friday morning? My cut is on Saturday and need a fresh wash and go.

I can show up with product in my hair, but no heavy butters or oils. I don’t use those, so I’ll do my usual kinky curly wash and go probably.

I do a mousse only wash and go before my curly cuts/trims. Saves me product and I can do it super quickly.

toaster

My sister is natural but mostly wears protective style twists or braids. She follows Loulou on Instagram and has seen great results by washing her hair twice a week and adding more water to her hair/products.

She also follows black girl curls on Instagram and I’ve told her about some of their techniques/etc.

Anyway she just sent me their most recent post and said “I don’t like their tone.”

I cracked up. I know everything isn’t for everybody but for so many people to provide the same feedback is... telling.

Thankfully so many other professionals are using similar techniques so we can learn from those we enjoy.

LavenderMint

My sister is natural but mostly wears protective style twists or braids. She follows Loulou on Instagram and has seen great results by washing her hair twice a week and adding more water to her hair/products.

She also follows black girl curls on Instagram and I’ve told her about some of their techniques/etc.

Anyway she just sent me their most recent post and said “I don’t like their tone.”

I cracked up. I know everything isn’t for everybody but for so many people to provide the same feedback is... telling.

Thankfully so many other professionals are using similar techniques so we can learn from those we enjoy.
My sister said the same thing. We’d been watching some of the videos together and after one, she said that exactly. There’s been other observations she’s made that I agreed with but overall, I don’t think it decreases the validity of what the A’s are saying.
And my 65+ yo mother LOVES LouLou lol

toaster

My sister said the same thing. We’d been watching some of the videos together and after one, she said that exactly. There’s been other observations she’s made that I agreed with but overall, I don’t think it decreases the validity of what the A’s are saying.
And my 65+ yo mother LOVES LouLou lol
Yep! My hair has definitely benefited from their lessons. I’ve noticed (probably because I’ve been paying attention) that there are other curly stylists not affiliated with their platform sharing the same information, but I’ll always credit where I learned it originally.

Shadow_Lace

Since my scalp won't let me be great!
Oh and another possible combo.

Used TMC Exotic Cool-Aid Sweet Papaya & Pineapple Infinite Conditioner as my co-wash & detangling agent.

I cleansed my hair with Curly Hair Solutions Energizing Shampoo.
Next, the Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask as my light protein treatment.

The usual detangling/rinsing session.

(On damp hair) I smoothed the Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-In, & braided the 3 previously sectioned off hair. Repeated on the other side.

Had to bring my spray bottle for this one!

Unraveled each braid, then secctioned off the 2 larger sections into 2 Bantu Knots.
On the loose hair, I sprayed water until it was soaking wet.
I added more of the AN Lemongrass Leave-In.

(On soaking wet hair) I raked, then smoothed Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic onto each section.
I'm currently air-drying my hair.

I didn't even check if the AN Lemongrass l/n was compatible.
I just figured it would work, based off the consistency.

UFD Curly Magic
An oldie but goodie!

Especially given these current conditions... Why not?

GettingKinky

I really enjoy Lou Lou. Even though she is also very opinionated she is more playful about it. Iamblackgirl curls are unnecessarily difficult. I bet they have a different tone when they teach stylists.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky How do you think you’ve adjusted your drying to have less shrinkage?

Your hair has really grown. It will be shoulder length + by next year for sure!

To get less shrinkage, I have to not move my hair at all while I’m diffusing. Usually I tilt my head and try to get volume and movement. For elongation I need to hold still and try to freeze my hair in place. Also using a ton of gel helps too.

my ends are really scraggly and uneven. But the time I can get a cut it will probably need to be significant. :-(

toaster

To get less shrinkage, I have to not move my hair at all while I’m diffusing. Usually I tilt my head and try to get volume and movement. For elongation I need to hold still and try to freeze my hair in place. Also using a ton of gel helps too.

my ends are really scraggly and uneven. But the time I can get a cut it will probably need to be significant. :-(
Makes sense! Have you tried drying under a hooded dryer? That would probably give you a similar effect of freezing your hair in place, especially at the roots/crown.

I feel you on the cut. I can definitely tell my ends are on the every 3 month end of things and not the every 4 month side.

toaster

Had a good wash day today. Really getting into my groove.

This comparison picture is day 4 of my last wash and go after 3 workouts versus day 1 wash and go today. Same products used in both. That’s about as “big and voluminous” as my hair grows over 4/5 days of my wash and go.

I’m really happy to have found wash and go’s.

Attachments

• 9BC0B741-538F-4308-8CEA-5AE5B68EACB6.jpeg
    9BC0B741-538F-4308-8CEA-5AE5B68EACB6.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 12B793DB-6874-4B65-9D77-A74907FBC497.jpeg
    12B793DB-6874-4B65-9D77-A74907FBC497.jpeg
    950.7 KB · Views: 35

GettingKinky

Makes sense! Have you tried drying under a hooded dryer? That would probably give you a similar effect of freezing your hair in place, especially at the roots/crown.

I feel you on the cut. I can definitely tell my ends are on the every 3 month end of things and not the every 4 month side.
I don’t own a hooded dryer anymore. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t sit under it. I can set my hair 90% dry with the diffuser in 10 minutes. I don’t have the patience to sit for 30-40 minutes, even though I’m pretty sure I would get better elongation that way