Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

@GettingKinky i get most of my yearly growth in the fall months. I’m not sure why, but I’ve been tracking my hair growth for over 10 years, and it’s always the same.

I see what you mean on the weekly washing! If days 1-3 are work days where you’re not seeing many people, maybe it’s worth it?

If not, at least you know you can do it if you have a super busy week ahead. Or maybe if you were on vacation and didn’t want to do your hair.

EmmJaii

Finished another CCS this afternoon. Stuck with my ICH and UFD combo. This time I was able to finish my hair in 48 mins, because I didn’t rake through small sections once I added ICH, instead I applied it in the larger sections and lightly raked those. I also did a vigorous head shaking at the end lol and I noticed this helps to clump and separate my curls. Lastly, I shook once halfway while under the hair dryer and another while diffusing, resulting in a fluffy-ish result that I’m loving. This may not last the full 7 days, but I really love having some volume on day 1.

LavenderMint

I decided to go back to what I know for my last ccs: UFD with Aunt Jackie’s on top. I liked the day one results and my hair has grown out of my cut enough that Mr. Mint noticed and commented.
I want to give the doux’s gels another chance but I want to do it in a single brand wash day, if that makes sense, so I have to get more of their conditioner.

Everyone’s hair is looking good!!
@faithVA your hair is growing so well!! I think I’ll also be recording what works/doesn’t. Sometimes it’s hard to recall what I did that got specific results.
@EmmJaii you are right, it’s hard to capture the not-quite-right qualities of a wng that’s not hitting it.
@sunshinebeautiful I bought an XL bonnet from Ama.zon & like it better than my buffs. I bend forward (or backward) & let my hair fall into the opening and carefully pull it down over my ears. In the morning, I just let the steam from the shower revive it & shake. I like the buffs for actual wearing out when the back of my head has frizzed out & needs to be hidden. Changing sleep position has also had an effect on how my hair looks. I try to spend more time on my back or left side than the right & get significantly less smooshage.

toaster

Quick shots of day 4 hair with the earthtones butter and max gel. I like it! I tested in my hands the earthtones butter and pop lock glaze and didn’t get any white clumps, so I’ll try that combo tomorrow.

The butter seems to be a nice leave in that doesn’t impact my curl pattern or much of the hold of what I use on top of it. This might help me feel better about using pop lock (plastic gel) on my hair if there’s something with good ingredients underneath.E5B34662-4469-4123-8B17-07BD4E3E13DA.jpeg

faithVA

Quick shots of day 4 hair with the earthtones butter and max gel. I like it! I tested in my hands the earthtones butter and pop lock glaze and didn’t get any white clumps, so I’ll try that combo tomorrow.

The butter seems to be a nice leave in that doesn’t impact my curl pattern or much of the hold of what I use on top of it. This might help me feel better about using pop lock (plastic gel) on my hair if there’s something with good ingredients underneath.View attachment 469523b
I'm glad your hair is growing out. Now when I look at your pictures, I want to beat up your stylist. :mad:

faithVA

I did my CCS today and stuck to the plan. The only step I switched up is I used a different shampoo for step 1. I used the Jessicurl shampoo instead of TGIN. I still used the diluted conditioner. I think the diluted conditioner is a game changer for me. I have heard stylist say that your final set should look like your hair with conditioner. My hair with conditioner looks like a fuzzy fro. It always has no matter what conditioner I use. But when I dilute my conditioner heavily, you can actually see my curls.

After cleansing, I applied the diluted conditioner and then let it sit while I showered. Before rinsing I took handfuls of water and squeezed it into each section. Then I rinsed and set the shower head to a more focused setting and ran the water close to my hair. My hair soaked up the water, my hair hung and you could see my curls.

I quickly started adding gel because water doesn't stay in my hair long. I made sure I covered the ends and the outer section. Then I went back through starting in the back and layered the gel in one pump at a time.

I couldn't quite get the right amount of gel to water this time. I'm still struggling on that so I kept going back between water and gel until I had enough. Then I added the Aunt Jackies to each section. I did about a nickel size to each section. Then I smoothed it through and added more to my roots if I felt it needed it. I took some water in my hands and squeezed it in each section.

I need to remember to smooth my roots and massage gel to my ends to get a better look.

I'm not sure if changing the shampoos changed my results or not. I'm going to stick with these two shampoos for a while.

Next CCS
1. Use Jessicurl shampoo followed by diluted Elucence Moisturizing shampoo
2. Use diluted conditioner. Squeeze water into each section before rinsing.
3. Rinse. Switch to high pressure setting and soak hair
4. Add gels as usual
5. Smooth gel into roots. Massage gel into ends to seal.

20210220_141426.jpg20210220_141528.jpg20210220_141614.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA I love reading your updates. They are so thorough! Also it’s great that you’re figuring out diluted conditioner works best for you!
Aw thank you. I didn't think they were anything special. You ladies seem to have your process down.

I have used diluted conditioner on and off for a while for a few years. When I cowashed every other day I used diluted conditioner. But I was trying to following the A's method and was hoping that a better conditioner would give me a different experience. I haven't figured out why my hair prefers diluted conditioner but hopefully, I will figure it out over time and figure out the ratios.

GettingKinky

I just finished my hair. I used the ecoslay jello shot solo again. This time I applied in 16 small sections instead of 4 bigger sections. This gel is so thick that I think it’s more efficient to apply it in small sections. I raked more than last time, but it’s still kind of stingy.
Next week i will try it as a topper for UFD.

faithVA

I ordered my color because it is way beyond time. I wanted to color every 4 months but I think 3 is max for me. You can tell my hair is a reddish brown where it isn't gray. You wouldn't believe that I used a really dark brown permanent color in June and a medium dark brown in November. My hair has strong red undertones that no matter what color you use it will eventually return to red. :perplexed:

faithVA

The pictures don't really tell a true story but my wng is starting to look better.

What can help my wng look better?
1. Each month I should get a little more hang time
2. Coloring my hair always makes my hair look better
3. Smoothing my roots and massaging my ends will give me more definition and less frizz
4. I need a new camera :lol:

My goal is to not have a new shaping cut until June. I would reallylike to wait until my crown reaches the bottom of my ear. But if I feel like I need to go in April, I will have her just clip my ends.

colorful_coils

Found this book online Richard Stein Hair

I don't know if all of it is good but he speaks on diluting shampoo and conditioner. I already do both but he gives ratios for dilution. Shampoo is 1 part shampoo to 7 parts water. Conditioner is 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water. I'm going to try these ratios and see how it goes.

That sounds interesting! Let us know how that goes. Looking at the ratios, I'm definitely using too much shampoo.

colorful_coils

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it turns out all my frizz was from not using enough gel and poor nighttime habits. I used Camille Rose Style Setter as my leave-in today, Curl Maker as the base, and Trepadora Acai Berry as the topper.

I applied more of the Curl Maker than I usually use, making sure that my hair was as elongated as possible. My hair is 80% dry and has no frizz. I'm going to start tying my hair in two buns before bed as well, and this should fully get rid of my frizz issues.

faithVA

My results with the buff were OK the 1st time I used it. But I don't know if I liked how it did my hair the additional times I used it. I like how it keeps my hair going in the right direction. But it also seems to compact my hair more and make it look more dull.

My set today is nice and defined and shiny. I'm going to try wearing it tonight and see how it works. If it doesn't work then I will go back to just sleeping on a satin pillow case and figure out something later.

GettingKinky

My results with the buff were OK the 1st time I used it. But I don't know if I liked how it did my hair the additional times I used it. I like how it keeps my hair going in the right direction. But it also seems to compact my hair more and make it look more dull.

My set today is nice and defined and shiny. I'm going to try wearing it tonight and see how it works. If it doesn't work then I will go back to just sleeping on a satin pillow case and figure out something later.
I switched from a buff to a slap and I prefer the slap. It still compacts my hair, but it doesn’t make it dull.