Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I switched from a buff to a slap and I prefer the slap. It still compacts my hair, but it doesn’t make it dull.
I don't think I can sleep in a slap cap if it is too heavy. I already burn up while I'm sleeping. I need to have the top open so the heat can escape :lol: I may try a cut up stocking cap. But I will keep my eye open for a slap cap type of thing that might work.

toaster

Forgot to update, but my earthtones butter/pop lock wash and go turned out nice! It’s soft, has movement, but I think will still last 4/5 days without too much frizz.

I ordered the small size of the butter and I’m not sure if I’d order it again, or just use kinky curly knot today as a base for my wash and go under pop lock (which is a combo I’ve never tried, but assume would work).

faithVA

My curls are still really poppin :yay: Instead of changing anything on Saturday, I'm going to try to repeat the same steps to see if I get the same results. I doubt that I have every repeated a process before.

Tomorrow is technically my reset day. But my hair is still defined and it is still holding onto some moisture so I will refresh on Wednesday. Wednesday is supposed to be 65 here, so I will let my hair air dry in the wind.

I don't have any midweek regimen. But Wednesday, I will try a cleansing conditioner and see if that works better than just rinsing.

EmmJaii

Fluffed my hair on day 2, and I for sure thought that would mess up my ability to get a 7-day wash n go. To my surprise, my hair still looks great today (day 4). Still defined and yet also voluminous. Im especially surprised because I didn’t spend a lot of time raking or styling carefully and this is the best my hair has looked yet. Glad to know I can have a successful abbreviated routine.

GettingKinky

My curls are still really poppin :yay: Instead of changing anything on Saturday, I'm going to try to repeat the same steps to see if I get the same results. I doubt that I have every repeated a process before.

Tomorrow is technically my reset day. But my hair is still defined and it is still holding onto some moisture so I will refresh on Wednesday. Wednesday is supposed to be 65 here, so I will let my hair air dry in the wind.

I don't have any midweek regimen. But Wednesday, I will try a cleansing conditioner and see if that works better than just rinsing.
Yay!!! What stylers are you using?

faithVA

I prepped my diluted shampoo and conditioner for the weekend reset. I used the Jessicurl shampoo. I will see if that works OK. I prefer the Elucene but the fragrance in it kills my eyes.

I'm definitely going to use a cleansing conditioner with tomorrows wash. But I'm still undecided if I am going to follow that with the diluted conditioner. Maybe I will keep it simple this week and just use the cleansing conditioner and then if I don't like it follow it with the diluted conditioner. Yeah, that is what I will do.

naturalagain2

My original appointment had to be canceled because my my stylist was sick but I got my curly cut this past weekend and I love it. She used all Innersense products on me and I bought all of the products she used on me except for the mask. She styled my hair with Quiet Calm curl control and ICH which I liked and I'm interested to see how it will look with my own wng technique. Not once did she treat my hair ruff. She used her hands the whole time. It was a pleasant experience. I really like her. I plan to go to her for a dry cut every 12 weeks. Already have an appointment set for May. It was everything I wanted in a salon visit.

I plan to use Innersense in conjunction with my Soultanical products and clay masks.

naturalagain2

That’s great that you had a good experience @naturalagain2 !! Definitely share some pictures if you feel comfortable.

I used the QCCC as a leave in before and quite enjoyed it.

I hardly take pics (bad I know). When I got home my stylist text me for a pic and I had already wrapped my hair up for the night lol. So the next day I took a front/side pic. I will post that when I get a moment (on my way to workout in a few). The only real good shot of my cut is a video she took of it. I wish I could post that up here. My hair shrinks so much it will be a long while before I get the exact look I want but I feel so much better with what I have already.

DVAntDany

I’m late to the game but I wanna join. I want to make the following statement because I think it’s important to know.
I went through chemo last year. This is important to state because I’m experiencing the phenomenon called chemo curls. I’m not sure if the texture I have will be permanent because this is not the texture I had before all my hair fell out.
It reacts to certain products as it did in the past, but it doesn’t look the same.

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
-I’m guessing a mixture of 3c and 4a. It is fine to medium strands. My density is medium/high. It’s virgin hair that’s about 3ish of so inches. I’m guessing low perosity, but not as low as it use to be.

What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)

-I wash ranging from every 2 days to once a week. Going a week is way too long but I get lazy. I suffer from dandruff/seborrhoeic dermatitis. Using anti dandruff product don’t seem to make a difference even used daily. Simply keeping my oily scalp clean seems to do the trick very well.

I didn’t find out about the whole cancelling of Mielle until a couple weeks ago while searching for reviews. Sue me, their products seem to work better consistently since I started using them a few months ago.

I haven’t noticed a difference with using shampoos and conditioners on my hair. I’m using up old products as well as some newer stuff. Mainly shampoos though. I had locs for 3 years prior. That was my main if not only hair product beforehand. I’ve only deep conditioned maybe twice since I’ve gotten some length.

Stylers seem to be important and that is where Mielle comes in. The Pomegranate & Honey Curl Defining Mousse is the closest I’ll get to a true wash and go. I literally just rake it through my hair in large sections and air dry. I love that I can just put this on towel dried hair.

I alternate with the leave in and Coil Sculpting Custard combo for times when I know I won’t have time to redo my hair later in the week or it’s going to be super cold. I was copying people online with short hair and doing the whole smoothing or finger curling stuff at first. Hmm, I really don’t need all of that. It sometimes comes out looking unnatural and takes a lot longer. I haven’t tried the rake only method yet with this product. I just kept raking then smoothing. I love this product for the incredible shine, but it gives me a really firm hold. I also hate it has to be done on soaking wet hair.

Then I put on a satin bonnet thingy when I remember to.

What are your length goals from joining this challenge?

-I want to gain and retain 5 1/2 inches by the end of this year.

What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?

-To perfect the wash and go. To wear my hair only in this style for the majority if not the entire year. Wear my hair in this style while being short instead of hiding it behind extensions or hats like I did several times in the past when I big chopped.

Any current struggles or concerns?
-Refreshing curls that squish on the sides without to much manipulation.

Finding products that leave my hair super soft while still providing shine and curl definition. My hair feels fine when I was the products out. I want run-fingers-through-hair softness. I wash my hair frequently enough that I don’t need the super firm hold.

Not to become a product junkie again. I find a lot of products leave my hair frizzy, dull and undefined.

Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)
I’m posting pics of my hair with both of my main stylers being used.

Last edited:

DVAntDany

I doesn’t seem like it will let me post a picture.
-These are me raking products with the mousse.

-These are me raking and smoothing with the custard.

-This is why I don’t smooth with the mousse.

faithVA

I’m late to the game but I wanna join. I want to make the following statement because I think it’s important to know.
I went through chemo last year. This is important to state because I’m experiencing the phenomenon called chemo curls. I’m not sure if the texture I have will be permanent because this is not the texture I had before all my hair fell out.
It reacts to certain products as it did in the past, but it doesn’t look the same.

Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc)
-I’m guessing a mixture of 3c and 4a. It is fine to medium strands. My density is medium/high. It’s virgin hair that’s about 3ish of so inches. I’m guessing low perosity, but not as low as it use to be.

What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc)

-I wash ranging from every 2 days to once a week. Going a week is way too long but I get lazy. I suffer from dandruff/seborrhoeic dermatitis. Using anti dandruff product don’t seem to make a difference even used daily. Simply keeping my oily scalp clean seems to do the trick very well.

I didn’t find out about the whole cancelling of Mielle until a couple weeks ago while searching for reviews. Sue me, their products seem to work better consistently since I started using them a few months ago.

I haven’t noticed a difference with using shampoos and conditioners on my hair. I’m using up old products as well as some newer stuff. Mainly shampoos though. I had locs for 3 years prior. That was my main if not only hair product beforehand. I’ve only deep conditioned maybe twice since I’ve gotten some length.

Stylers seem to be important and that is where Mielle comes in. The Pomegranate & Honey Curl Defining Mousse is the closest I’ll get to a true wash and go. I literally just rake it through my hair in large sections and air dry. I love that I can just put this on towel dried hair.

I alternate with the leave in and Coil Sculpting Custard combo for times when I know I won’t have time to redo my hair later in the week or it’s going to be super cold. I was copying people online with short hair and doing the whole smoothing or finger curling stuff at first. Hmm, I really don’t need all of that. It sometimes comes out looking unnatural and takes a lot longer. I haven’t tried the rake only method yet with this product. I just kept raking then smoothing. I love this product for the incredible shine, but it gives me a really firm hold. I also hate it has to be done on soaking wet hair.

Then I put on a satin bonnet thingy when I remember to.

What are your length goals from joining this challenge?

-I want to gain and retain 5 1/2 inches by the end of this year.

What are your styling goals from joining this challenge?

-To perfect the wash and go. To wear my hair only in this style for the majority if not the entire year. Wear my hair in this style while being short instead of hiding it behind extensions or hats like I did several times in the past when I big chopped.

Any current struggles or concerns?
-Refreshing curls that squish on the sides without to much manipulation.

Finding products that leave my hair super soft while still providing shine and curl definition. My hair feels fine when I was the products out. I want run-fingers-through-hair softness. I wash my hair frequently enough that I don’t need the super firm hold.

Not to become a product junkie again. I find a lot of products leave my hair frizzy, dull and undefined.

Please share a starting photo of your hair (optional but highly recommended)
I’m posting pics of my hair with both of my main stylers being used.
Welcome to the challenge. Glad you made it on the other side of chemo and hope you are doing well.

Your curls are so cute. I think you will have a lot of fun with them and just keep it simple. I definitely like the custard pics #2 and then set #1.

The ladies in here have a lot of experience with products. I think you will get a lot of useful tips and suggestions.

faithVA

I doesn’t seem like it will let me post a picture.
-These are me raking products with the mousse.

-These are me raking and smoothing with the custard.

-This is why I don’t smooth with the mousse.
Maybe smoothing has been my issue with the mousse. My hair just straightens out. I use it before I color my hair to make my hair lay straight. In the future I will try raking it instead.

faithVA

I did a reset this morning. I used a cleansing conditioner and then followed that with the UFD and Aunt Jackie's. I'm not sure if the cleansing conditioner is not enough to remove all of the product or if it coats my hair too much. But I wasn't able to get much definition in my hair after rinsing. And my gel can only do so much. Fortunately, that was the last of my cleansing conditioner.

What I realize that if my curls aren't defined easily in the shower, I'm not saving any time. I may save time in the cleanse and condition step but make up for it in the style step.

Now mid-week I am thinking of just doing my weekend routine but just shampoo once. Since my shampoo is diluted, it should not be as harsh on my hair every 3 days. That's next up for next week.

DVAntDany

Welcome @DVAntDany ! Your curls are beautiful and I think you’ll have a lot of fun experimenting as they grow out (if that’s your goal). So happy you’re past chemo, and I wish you continued health!
Thanks. I’m happy to be here...again. I use to frequent this site back when I was high school back in 2006. Man, it’s been a long time.

I miss this community and trying to grow my hair out. Having locs for a few years let me come to terms with my hair texture aka just love whatgrows out of my head.

I can’t wait to have even more fun with my hair and just enjoy it.

DVAntDany

Maybe smoothing has been my issue with the mousse. My hair just straightens out. I use it before I color my hair to make my hair lay straight. In the future I will try raking it instead.
Yeah, I had to change up the technique to make it work. At first, I thought it was just the product, but it seems be both technique and product.

I never thought that raking products would work. I was so surprised. I love how easy it is. I saw Taylor Anne doing it on MadCurls with her short hair. I decided to try it out. I love this technique.