Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

LavenderMint

I actually wrote down the tips y’all gave @faithVA & @EmmJaii :look: I think I have at least three brushes to choose from that aren’t that Felicia Leatherwood style but I probably won’t get to detangle my whole head that way at one time.
One more stupid question: does it matter how you hold the brush? I ask because I remember hearing that you’re supposed to use the Denman D38 with the handle perpendicular to the floor, like it’s standing up, because of the way the bristles are situated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone brush their own hair that way. Isn’t it more natural to hold a brush horizontally?

DVAntDany

I joined the digital channel last year. It isn't like what they offer is personalized. I had to watch the videos and read through the documents and glean what I could. I have no problem with non-stylists doing the challenge because I think they actually help each other more than the professionals. They could have just as easily set up groups of 10 women and create a paid personalized detox program or imagine this, actually come into their own digital salon and talked with people who paid. Now that's an idea.

There are so many ways to make money. They will figure it out. This thing about I'm a professional and trained and no one knows what I know is so silly. I'm feeling like a rant is coming on but I'm not going to do it :lol:
I don’t believe their is anything stopping a non professional from taking the Tight Curl Theory Program. Maybe they think the price will deter non professionals from paying and joining. Little do they know some people spend that amount on prods for breakfast aka Product Junkies.

I am curious to see what they teach stylist. That’s what I like to learn, but I don’t need to know how to deal with everyone’s hair. It is not worth it for me right now.

DVAntDany

I actually wrote down the tips y’all gave @faithVA & @EmmJaii :look: I think I have at least three brushes to choose from that aren’t that Felicia Leatherwood style but I probably won’t get to detangle my whole head that way at one time.
One more stupid question: does it matter how you hold the brush? I ask because I remember hearing that you’re supposed to use the Denman D38 with the handle perpendicular to the floor, like it’s standing up, because of the way the bristles are situated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone brush their own hair that way. Isn’t it more natural to hold a brush horizontally?
Now what are you trying to do with the brush again?

I temporarily took back my D4 to try again. It’s so massive for my short hair. As long as the back touches the brush and flick with it, I made the denman curls. The sections were just too chunky, but I could not do it successfully any other way. I did that during my conditioning.

LavenderMint

Now what are you trying to do with the brush again?

I temporarily took back my D4 to try again. It’s so massive for my short hair. As long as the back touches the brush and flick with it, I made the denman curls. The sections were just too chunky, but I could not do it successfully any other way. I did that during my conditioning.
Lol I’m just trying to figure out how to detangle without causing my hair to frizz up & lose all definition. That’s been my biggest resistance to using a brush while I wear a wng.

I do think changing the type of brushes I’ve been using (and more water/conditioner) will make a definite difference, as well as making certain my hair touches the back of the brush.

toaster

@DVAntDany I can see it now:

“You all think this product is too expensive? You’re just not at the point in your life where you’re ready to use it.”

“it didn’t work for you? I’d have to see/touch/charge you $350 to get in your hair to show you you’re using it wrong!”

“You don’t like the packaging? We have 47 years of behind the chair experience, this the perfect packaging.”

But for real, Aleiese seems to be getting a new salon together in her area, so she must be thinking she can use the salon as a teaching space/training space and maybe open a few more around the country.

DVAntDany

Lol I’m just trying to figure out how to detangle without causing my hair to frizz up & lose all definition. That’s been my biggest resistance to using a brush while I wear a wng.

I do think changing the type of brushes I’ve been using (and more water/conditioner) will make a definite difference, as well as making certain my hair touches the back of the brush.
Oh, that’s that big ole paddle brush style denman.

faithVA

Use whatever brush you want to fully detangle. Just use 1 of the 3 to smooth. I don't know about brush angles. When I tried I just tried to make sure my hair was against the back of the brush and I wasn't just raking it through my hair.

You might not want to try to detangle and smooth at the same time.

DVAntDany

@DVAntDany I can see it now:

“You all think this product is too expensive? You’re just not at the point in your life where you’re ready to use it.”

“it didn’t work for you? I’d have to see/touch/charge you $350 to get in your hair to show you you’re using it wrong!”

“You don’t like the packaging? We have 47 years of behind the chair experience, this the perfect packaging.”

But for real, Aleiese seems to be getting a new salon together in her area, so she must be thinking she can use the salon as a teaching space/training space and maybe open a few more around the country.
They don’t seem like a big enough name among hairstylist. They are authorities on this yet mainly stylist’s customers know more about them.

What do they have to do to become a house hold name like Sam Villa or Beth Minardi? I even see Breslin and Guy Tang on Behind the Chair. They are trying to cut out the middleman and it leaves them in their little island.

I would love for them to partner with a well known brand and provide education for stylists. The brand usually draws in the stylists to want to pay to know the knowledge. Hmm, Paul Mitchell, Redken or Kerastase would give them a wider net. Then from there they could come out with their own products. It would be like everything they touch turns to gold.

Their products would need to be salon exclusive with select authorized dealers. They could totally be as bougie as they want and hit that real big bucks market. We need more Black luxury.

To be fair and not have so much exclusivity, they could have their lower priced range. It has to work but leave out all the lavish things and smaller bottles. That’s when those statements about if you want the better bottles and such and such, you have to pay for it.

oneastrocurlie

I’ve continued trying the CurlSmith hair color gels. This week is “Rose Gold”. I had to remind myself that it’s supposed to be metallic and less “rosy”; my initial feelings would probably have been more positive if it were the other way around. Even with that, the color has definitely grown on me. Uneven coverage of the gel is much more noticeable to me with this color. Mr. Mint doesn’t mind the color but he doesn’t like my placement. He’s still asking for blue next. Little does he know I’ve found two more brands that do hair color gel. (And I’ve purposely chosen gels instead of the waxes because I do not have the time to be fooling around trying to wash out anything with waxy properties.)

View attachment 470057
(Top is wet, bottom left is around 15% damp, middle and right are the next day)

The other two options are As I Am and Gemini Naturals. I actually like their color options way better and may select a couple each from those to try later.

I have a few jars of Gemini Naturals. I like it.

DVAntDany

I forgot to mention my shampoo brushes came in today. They are Diane brand.

Also, Rhonda mentions that the shampoo and conditioners aren’t always authentic on Amazon. That was a reply to a post about 1 month ago when asked to add shampoos and conditioner to the Amazon store. Hopefully, she worked that out now that they are on there.

GettingKinky

I forgot to mention my shampoo brushes came in today. They are Diane brand.

Also, Rhonda mentions that the shampoo and conditioners aren’t always authentic on Amazon. That was a reply to a post about 1 month ago when asked to add shampoos and conditioner to the Amazon store. Hopefully, she worked that out now that they are on there.
I try not to buy any hair/skin products from Amazon.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Rightttt!
I remember their video in the digital salon when they broke down topper gels. So helpful. Aishia's hair is coarse and dense, she said she goes to town with ICH whereas Aeliese prefers to use a VERY tiny amount and preferred ICV for her hair. She said ICV gives her noodle looking hair and she likes that finish whereas Aishia didn't. I liked ICV over my ICH b/c I see how it makes my wash n go hang a bit more and gave that extra protection on top of ICH. So far, I can't just use UFD and ICH.. unless I want to redo my hair in 4-5 days lol. It frizzes faster. If I didn't care about that, I'd just use UFD and ICH.

thank you :yep:
note to self.
I have the liter size of Elucence clarifying and moisture poo. That clarifying ain't go nowhere no time soon but my moisture poo is almost finished. Gonna try the Bekura next.
What is ICH and ICV?

Britt

They just don’t sugar coat their words like you’d expect people in this profession to do. Just because the truth hurts doesn’t make it not true. So nothing they have said so far has truly offended me, but that could just be my personality. I agree with you and them on the twistouts too.

I caught the live of her moving and getting locked out. The importance of using a professional instead of trying to diy. I wholeheartedly agree with her and her first 10 mins of explanation. I didn’t watch beyond that. I’ve come to that point in my life too.
I agree... that's why I spent some time last year really and truly listening and learning from them. I watched the YouTube videos but really learning from their gems and my mind was blown honestly. As someone who has been on hair platforms for 18 years... the best hair advice I got was from them. It's more than just hair also, it's a mindset. The delivery is harsh but if you really listen to them, they make a lot of sense. After I think I figured it out I came back to LHCF and saw this thread and said let me join. At first I didn't care for them, but once I started listening, I couldn't stop :lol: and I found myself like "wowwwww, she's dead on right". When I joined their digital salon, they said it's not a crash course and do not treat it as such. I see why they say that also :lol:. I was skeptical and very turned off at first when I first came across them in 2018, I was hell bent on my twist outs, never thought I had wash n go hair, didn't like their attitude at all, didn't like their prices (still don't :lol:) then sometime last April I reluctantly tried a wash n go. And that's when I started to follow them again on IG and listen to almost all their YouTube videos. I was humbled. They say we're offended by them but not offended by all the products being pushed towards us to take our money ... #facts. It's more than just hair, it's a mindset and our beliefs about our hair.

GettingKinky

@Britt They do have gems. The first time I joined the digital salon I only stayed for 2 months and I learned a lot, but I was in a hurry because I didn’t want to keep spending $25/momth. The second time I joined (for 6 months) I think it all really sank in. Being part of the DS made me much more intentional every time I did my hair. I would imagine that the As were watching me CCS and critiquing me. :oops:

When they announced the salon was closing I went back through a bunch of the videos and took detailed notes.

I still listen to a lot of their lives, I usually don’t learn anything new, but I see when they are softening their stance on certain issues.

If SeeSomeCurls had a community aspect I probably would have joined.

faithVA

I pulled out my q-redew to see if would help with refreshing my hair. It's not the best appliance in the world. No matter how much care I use it always seems plugged up if I don't use it often. But I figured out how to get it working again. It wasn't cheap so I'm going to keep it until it stops working.

Most of my hair I can semi fluff, but the right side of my hair has the least definition and moisture so it doesn't refresh easily. I let the steam I let the q-redew steam up the hair a bit and then fluffed. It was definitely easier to move and fluff once it was softened. It loosened my curl a little bit. Not sure if it will cause frizz or what it will look like later. Will have to wait and see.

But then I pulled out my Conair steamer for my clothes. That gives off a lot more steam. It doesn't appear to be any hotter than the q-redew. I would say the q-redew may just be designed to be more focused.

I think the Conair gives off more steam and will be easier and faster to use. It also holds more water and is easier to hold.

I'm going to use the Conair tomorrow and evaluate whether I need to do an entire CCS tomorrow or if I can get buy with a day of steaming. I want to give it another day since I just did my color but my hair feels a little drier than usual.

Oh and I found my Tangle Teezer in my SO's bathroom. I'm going to try smoothing with it tomorrow and see how it works.

DVAntDany

I agree... that's why I spent some time last year really and truly listening and learning from them. I watched the YouTube videos but really learning from their gems and my mind was blown honestly. As someone who has been on hair platforms for 18 years... the best hair advice I got was from them. It's more than just hair also, it's a mindset. The delivery is harsh but if you really listen to them, they make a lot of sense. After I think I figured it out I came back to LHCF and saw this thread and said let me join. At first I didn't care for them, but once I started listening, I couldn't stop :lol: and I found myself like "wowwwww, she's dead on right". When I joined their digital salon, they said it's not a crash course and do not treat it as such. I see why they say that also :lol:. I was skeptical and very turned off at first when I first came across them in 2018, I was hell bent on my twist outs, never thought I had wash n go hair, didn't like their attitude at all, didn't like their prices (still don't :lol:) then sometime last April I reluctantly tried a wash n go. And that's when I started to follow them again on IG and listen to almost all their YouTube videos. I was humbled. They say we're offended by them but not offended by all the products being pushed towards us to take our money ... #facts. It's more than just hair, it's a mindset and our beliefs about our hair.
I get what you mean and that is why I’m willing to be “verbally abused.” :lol: I have finally gotten to the point where I don’t feel it’s necessary to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Over the years, I have probably spent way more on things trying to do them myself and my way than just taking the advice of an individual who has experiential wisdom and knowledge.

It was hard to break my explorative nature because in the past I had to learn how to do my hair without the help of stylists . That’s what first led me to LHCF back in 05 while I was in high school. That feeling was so ingrained in me that when I finally learned how to do the styling I also wanted to make my own products. Thousands of dollars later, I have finally learned my lesson.

Maybe that is maturity or just me getting old. It’s like when old people are afraid of technology. They are afraid of messing things up. When you are young you play around until you figure it out. I’m not that old that I am scared. I just prefer to have the training if it’s available rather than learning through lots of failure.

So yes, abrasively slap me in the face with the gems.

faithVA

I get what you mean and that is why I’m willing to be “verbally abused.” :lol: I have finally gotten to the point where I don’t feel it’s necessary to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Over the years, I have probably spent way more on things trying to do them myself and my way than just taking the advice of an individual who has experiential wisdom and knowledge.

It was hard to break my explorative nature because in the past I had to learn how to do my hair without the help of stylists . That’s what first led me to LHCF back in 05 while I was in high school. That feeling was so ingrained in me that when I finally learned how to do the styling I also wanted to make my own products. Thousands of dollars later, I have finally learned my lesson.

Maybe that is maturity or just me getting old. It’s like when old people are afraid of technology. They are afraid of messing things up. When you are young you play around until you figure it out. I’m not that old that I am scared. I just prefer to have the training if it’s available rather than learning through lots of failure.

So yes, abrasively slap me in the face with the gems.
So speaking for old people. Is it that they are afraid of technology or just don't want to be bothered :rofl:

Yes, I only want to know where the 3 buttons are on the remote. And no new young sales person. I don't want a phone that can do all of that :lol:

Those young people look at me like I'm crazy. I'm tired y'all. I'm tired. I don't want to read nothin', learn nothin', nor try nothin!

I'm just messing with you @DVAntDany .

DVAntDany

So speaking for old people. Is it that they are afraid of technology or just don't want to be bothered :rofl:

Yes, I only want to know where the 3 buttons are on the remote. And no new young sales person. I don't want a phone that can do all of that :lol:

Those young people look at me like I'm crazy. I'm tired y'all. I'm tired. I don't want to read nothin', learn nothin', nor try nothin!

I'm just messing with you @DVAntDany .
:rofl: I’m going to still go with being afraid of being bothered to learn.

I’m tired too. Even my inner product junkie has reached the geriatric ward. She is telling me to purchase only the recommended products and tools and NOT to try completely new stuff because it looks and sounds good.

Am I part of the “old” club because I feel old. I’m no spring chicken.

DVAntDany

@Britt They do have gems. The first time I joined the digital salon I only stayed for 2 months and I learned a lot, but I was in a hurry because I didn’t want to keep spending $25/momth. The second time I joined (for 6 months) I think it all really sank in. Being part of the DS made me much more intentional every time I did my hair. I would imagine that the As were watching me CCS and critiquing me. :oops:

When they announced the salon was closing I went back through a bunch of the videos and took detailed notes.

I still listen to a lot of their lives, I usually don’t learn anything new, but I see when they are softening their stance on certain issues.

If SeeSomeCurls had a community aspect I probably would have joined.
What are the most significant things you learned from the DS? I somehow feel like I’m missing out. Little snippets of the book seem to go into thorough detail.

The most interaction you get are on the 10Q and lives. At least that gives you assess to the instructor.

Rhonda over at HydraBar allows true interaction. You can even post videos of her to exam your issues and give suggestions. People help but many in there are just learning too. It’s almost a different school of thought over there.

DVAntDany

I pulled out my q-redew to see if would help with refreshing my hair. It's not the best appliance in the world. No matter how much care I use it always seems plugged up if I don't use it often. But I figured out how to get it working again. It wasn't cheap so I'm going to keep it until it stops working.

Most of my hair I can semi fluff, but the right side of my hair has the least definition and moisture so it doesn't refresh easily. I let the steam I let the q-redew steam up the hair a bit and then fluffed. It was definitely easier to move and fluff once it was softened. It loosened my curl a little bit. Not sure if it will cause frizz or what it will look like later. Will have to wait and see.

But then I pulled out my Conair steamer for my clothes. That gives off a lot more steam. It doesn't appear to be any hotter than the q-redew. I would say the q-redew may just be designed to be more focused.

I think the Conair gives off more steam and will be easier and faster to use. It also holds more water and is easier to hold.

I'm going to use the Conair tomorrow and evaluate whether I need to do an entire CCS tomorrow or if I can get buy with a day of steaming. I want to give it another day since I just did my color but my hair feels a little drier than usual.

Oh and I found my Tangle Teezer in my SO's bathroom. I'm going to try smoothing with it tomorrow and see how it works.
I can’t wait to hear how everything goes with the Conair. Squished hair can’t be revived by putting more product on hair.