Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I skipped my midweek wash - again. Since I’m wearing my hair pulled back I didn’t feel the need to refresh and my workouts this week haven’t been that sweaty.

I want to go back to bunning semi-regularly, but the elastic I use to make the ponytail always snags in my hair.

faithVA

i'm gonna use joico color intense in ametyst purple and magenta to dye my hair purple.... its a really great color but its only and demi or semi (not sure which)... i'm scared to color my hair lighter... i dont wanna mess up my hair...
Yeah, the only time I went lighter is when I kept my hair cut really short and wasn't trying to grow it out.

I love the ease of the semi, but for my hair semi and demi colors only last 2 weeks. And I really hate to color my hair so often. I do think I'm going to get a semi and use it just for my edges to give me some relief.

Go ahead with the fancy colors :grin:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Yeah, the only time I went lighter is when I kept my hair cut really short and wasn't trying to grow it out.

I love the ease of the semi, but for my hair semi and demi colors only last 2 weeks. And I really hate to color my hair so often. I do think I'm going to get a semi and use it just for my edges to give me some relief.

Go ahead with the fancy colors :grin:
joico has really great semi demi... they last a really long time and they're colors are vibrant even on my dark hair. I dont mess with arctic fox, adore etc... the color pay off isnt worth it

faithVA

joico has really great semi demi... they last a really long time and they're colors are vibrant even on my dark hair. I dont mess with arctic fox, adore etc... the color pay off isnt worth it
Yeah, it's just my hair. Anything that lays on my hair will wash off. A week after applying a semi, I can literally slide my hands down my hair and pull the color off. My cuticles lie just that flat. I will give their semi a try though. But I literally have tried 12 different brands of semi, demi and permanent and mostly high end. The eSalon was the only demi I was able to get to work because it was thin and watery.

Is the joico thin or thick?

VictoriousBrownFlower

Yeah, it's just my hair. Anything that lays on my hair will wash off. A week after applying a semi, I can literally slide my hands down my hair and pull the color off. My cuticles lie just that flat. I will give their semi a try though. But I literally have tried 12 different brands of semi, demi and permanent and mostly high end. The eSalon was the only demi I was able to get to work because it was thin and watery.

Is the joico thin or thick?
oh ur low porosity?

toaster

@GettingKinky i can’t wait to add binning back into my styling routine.

This is my 11th year natural and my first time EVER wearing my hair down in its natural state, so I’m trying to get through September which will be my 1 year wash and go anniversary. After that, I think I’ll mostly wear my hair down with the occasional bun or twist out when I feel like switching it up.

faithVA

@GettingKinky i can’t wait to add binning back into my styling routine.

This is my 11th year natural and my first time EVER wearing my hair down in its natural state, so I’m trying to get through September which will be my 1 year wash and go anniversary. After that, I think I’ll mostly wear my hair down with the occasional bun or twist out when I feel like switching it up.
I didn't know that. I don't know why I thought you have been doing wash and goes forever. We will celebrate you in September.

kimpaur

Y’all-I have officially “made it” in the natural hair game-I got several compliments on my hair today AND was weave checked by the Indian man at the gas station:lol:

This fool kept eyeing my scalp while I was swiping my card and then proceeded to ask me if it was my real hair and if I was Cuban :rolleyes:
then started trying to make small talk and flirt

I kindly took my Twix and bid him good day!

I feel like I’m representing for all us naturals today :grin:

sunshinebeautiful

Y’all-I have officially “made it” in the natural hair game-I got several compliments on my hair today AND was weave checked by the Indian man at the gas station:lol:

This fool kept eyeing my scalp while I was swiping my card and then proceeded to ask me if it was my real hair and if I was Cuban :rolleyes:

I'm side eyeing the bolded, but the unexpected complements just being out and about - that is goals.

faithVA

:congrats: I hope you told him you are representing us.

I'm not surprised he thought you were Cuban. Even our own think we are something else when we have beautiful hair.

faithVA

Good news is that clarifying my hair got rid of the dingy hair problem. My thought is once the demi color washed off it left a film on my hair, which clarifying then removed. Thank goodness! So I can deal with my current color a little while longer. And my grays are saluting the sun but I can deal with them for right now.

toaster

Good news is that clarifying my hair got rid of the dingy hair problem. My thought is once the demi color washed off it left a film on my hair, which clarifying then removed. Thank goodness! So I can deal with my current color a little while longer. And my grays are saluting the sun but I can deal with them for right now.
Woop woop! Glad clarifying helped with the color issues for now!

faithVA

I turn 40 in 9 years and I’ve always thought that’s when I would lock my hair.

I want to grow my loose natural hair longer than it’s ever been in the interim, but I know myself, and at a certain point I’ll be tired of taking care of it.
I thought about locking my hair. But I have watched some of my friends do it and it seems to be the same amount of work, albeit you do retain more length. But I notice with more length, there is the tendency to have to keep it up because it can be too heavy. And I also have friends who had to give them up because of the scalp issues. I was initially excited about it but then realized it probably wasn't going to work for me.

toaster

I thought about locking my hair. But I have watched some of my friends do it and it seems to be the same amount of work, albeit you do retain more length. But I notice with more length, there is the tendency to have to keep it up because it can be too heavy. And I also have friends who had to give them up because of the scalp issues. I was initially excited about it but then realized it probably wasn't going to work for me.
You know I’ve done zero research! My mom had microlocks for about 10 years. They were beautiful, but she did spend a lot of time at the salon getting them retwisted because she preferred a more neat/conformed look.

My sister is thinking about getting sisterlocks next year, so I’ll watch her process closely.

faithVA

You know I’ve done zero research! My mom had microlocks for about 10 years. They were beautiful, but she did spend a lot of time at the salon getting them retwisted because she preferred a more neat/conformed look.

My sister is thinking about getting sisterlocks next year, so I’ll watch her process closely.
That is good you have someone close that you will get the 411 from.

I really can't say I have seen messy sisterlocs. They are really beautiful. I don't see many here where I am because I don't think there is a good selection of locticians (sp). The larger locs are easier to self-maintain so I see those here more often.