Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Ok, thanks.

I'm not sure how I feel about this gel. I love how fast and easy it was too apply, but it doesnt give strong hold or definition. I think it may work in place of foam stylers.

So I'm back to the drawing board, looking for an OTG, hard hold gel. I swear my hair is hold resistant...

Really? I got ooober definition and soft
Hold but the definition lasted at least 5 days. @Nightingale

toaster

I have 8-10 inches of damaged hair from prior bad practices. The damage makes my curls stick together like Velcro. Part of me wants to chop it all off at once because I think my hair would behave better without it. But the other part of me doesn’t want to let go of my length
Having lost 8 - 10 inches of hair in some parts of my head... don’t do it!

Well. If it’s planned and you know what to expect. Go for it! But if the damage isn’t hindering your length retention, get to a comfortable length and trim an inch every 3 months.

The damage will be gone before you know it.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky

Also do you have definitive knowledge that your hair wouldn’t stick together like Velcro without the damage? Maybe cut a few curls and see how they behave?

I have had Velcro hair my entire time being natural. I’ve chopped my hair 3 times during this journey and it’s always Velcro.

It could just be how your hair is?
That’s a good point. I would be really unhappy if I cut all that hair off and I still had Velcro hair.

Britt

Heyyyy ladies :wave:
My ecoslay came and I used it this morning. I think I love it... before I say 100% I will see how my wash n go holds up over the course of a week. I'm hoping it holds up well, I think it will. If so, it will be my new staple topper! It is quite thick and very concentrated, I didn't expect that. Because i'm nervous about it going bad, I had scraped some out in a small bowl and used that portion.

Another goodie this week. I gave Giovanni Smooth as Silk a try and I love it much more than the AG boost. I used to use Giovanni religiously when I was relaxed. I will no longer buy Boost, I'll stick with Giovanni conditioner.

Britt

Curl daze stylers are bomb. Black owned woman brand from a YTer. I can’t ever remember her name.

I would buy both again. https://www.curldaze.com/

I’m not feeling this As I Am Colored gel. It looks weird to me. Hair is slightly damp from last night so I’ll try and catch a picture later.
Thanks for sharing! How is the curl daze gel? I'm so glad to find gel alternatives :lol:

faithVA

I have 8-10 inches of damaged hair from prior bad practices. The damage makes my curls stick together like Velcro. Part of me wants to chop it all off at once because I think my hair would behave better without it. But the other part of me doesn’t want to let go of my length
Oh I didn't know that. :bighug: Are you trimming on a regular schedule to get rid of the ends? I didn't read beyond this. So sorry if you answered already.

faithVA

First, I found out that I can just put in a leave-in and I can let my hair air dry loose. This new regimen is a game changer. I let it dry, put on my bonnet before bed and my hair was nice and soft when I took the bonnet off.

I decided to trim my ends before coloring my hair. That took FOREVER because I do it in small sections since my hair is so short.

Finally, around 1 pm I got around to coloring my hair :lol: I switched from ESalon demi-permanent to Madison Reed permanent. The color is black with hues of purple. The Madison Reed takes longer than the ESalon but it is an easy process and went well.

I realized when I used the Madison Reed shampoo and conditioner that I really like them. The shampoo is moisturizing and the conditioner worked well in my hair with just that little packet they sent me. So I purchased both of them and should get them next week. I have enough of the shampoo for next weekend just in case my delivery doesn't make it in time.

For CCS, I followed more of @GettingKinky style. With my length I still have to do my hair in 7 sections. I didn't section my hair until after I conditioned.
My hair was soaking wet when I started but my front dried while I was doing the back. I did do everything in the shower though.

I started in the back and added the UFD. I need to get use to using less. After finishing a section I added the ICH. I did add water to it and that is necessary for me since I don't hold enough water in my hair. I still need to use far less ICH than I did since I'm working with such small sections.

In the back I added UFD to a section and then ICH. But in the front I added a lot of water to each section then added the UFD. After finishing all the front sections then I added the ICH. I added way to much ICH to the front so then I started adding lots of water to try to thin it out :lol:

I definitely know applying the gel in sections works way better and is easier for me than doing it the other way. I feel like I can master this. I could not master the other way.

This is definitely my best wash and go yet. And I'm so glad to have some color in my hair.

I'm still trying to get Peppermint Pattie to lie down.

The picture on the left is in my dark bathroom so you can't see the color. But this is right after I finished applying the gel.

The picture on the right is hours later and out in full light. You can see the darker color and the purple.

Attachments

• 20210417_155317.jpg
    20210417_155317.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210417_202618.jpg
    20210417_202618.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 34

toaster

I bought two ficcare clips in medium. I have to look back through my posts but I swear I was big into hair clips in like 2011. Well here we go again.

I was looking for a way to keep my hair out of my face/off my neck during the summer.

I need a large clip to really secure all of my hair up, but the medium will work well in a pinch and it’s good for a half up style.

0D774002-1BA5-4A41-A95F-0F7B64465AFC.jpeg09F45F05-03D1-4C76-861C-A640332BA0BF.jpeg

faithVA

:boxing: @faithVA coming in here with a TRIM.
Your hair looks great though and it seems like you had a nice color/wash and go session so I forgive you. Kind of :laugh:
I didn't do nothing wrong. I didn't really trim. I just cut off split ends. I didn't want my hair to knot up when I was coloring it.

I did have a nice color/wash session. It was encouraging and got me over the hump. Now I just need to repeat it.

Thanks to your help, @GettingKinky and everyone else that shared their steps, I was able to use a better process and something I think I can master.

:thankyou: to everyone for your help. I was :drowning: with that other method.

faithVA

@faithVA i can tell you got much better product distribution and curl definition by using sections. Those girls know a lot but they don’t know everything! With your new technique and color people will be like “who’s that woman on the bike? She’s fab!”

I agree I did get better product distribution. I could tell it was going to work when I did the very first row of the first section. It just curled right up. I was doing that in sections but doing the vertical parting they recommend. But it didn't work the same. And I can tell I need far less ICH than I used. I will figure that out.

Aw that's sweet. Almost no one in IRL has seen my hair since March of 2020. Maybe 10 people? Most people have never seen me without twist. It is definitely going to be different when I do start getting out again.

And it is true that they A's don't know everything. After watching the Beauty Bar video I was able to see a different way. I know many of the ladies in this thread do it by sections but it was really helpful seeing it and seeing that she didn't work that hard in applying product. I was doing waaaay too much :lol:

faithVA

@faithVA I like the purple color!! And I’m glad you are feeling more optimistic about your gel application. I think Aeleise likes the apply all in one section method because she is used to working on other people and she can see what she’s doing.
Thank You. I have always down a brownish red. Thought I would try a purplish black this time. I think this may be more fitting. Will see how it looks after it darkens up in 3 days.

The all over worked when it was really short. But I'm glad I finally tried a different way.

toaster

Here’s my day 8 wash and go as I prep for wash day:

E93F00E0-D925-45A1-96A2-6A23B04767EA.jpeg

Im sitting with olaplex step 0 on my hair now. About to apply step 3. I decided to apply on dry hair as directed but I’m not sure about applying over gel. My gel cast is almost completely gone, but I think the step 0 just reactivated the gel and made my hair sticky.

I used a very conservative amount. I saw on YouTube some people with natural hair were getting 1 use out of this bottle and it’s way too expensive for that. Maybe next time I’ll apply just a little more.

This is step 0 after 1 use. 620AFB58-CE45-41CE-A77F-649323B0DA9A.jpeg

oneastrocurlie

Here’s my day 8 wash and go as I prep for wash day:

View attachment 471503

Im sitting with olaplex step 0 on my hair now. About to apply step 3. I decided to apply on dry hair as directed but I’m not sure about applying over gel. My gel cast is almost completely gone, but I think the step 0 just reactivated the gel and made my hair sticky.

I used a very conservative amount. I saw on YouTube some people with natural hair were getting 1 use out of this bottle and it’s way too expensive for that. Maybe next time I’ll apply just a little more.

This is step 0 after 1 use. View attachment 471505

One use? That's crazy. Did they take the top off and pour it on? Lol.

toaster

One use? That's crazy. Did they take the top off and pour it on? Lol.
They were trying to “saturate” their hair when the instructions clearly say the hair just needs to be “damp”‘with product.

There’s no way. It’s way too expensive to get 1 use.

I think I’ll get 3/4 uses out of step 3 and I’m already side eying that price.

When I applied step 3 my curls were super defined and elongated. Looked great. Can’t wait to see if I notice a difference after I wash and style.