Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@fluffyforever congrats on second day hair

@Rocky91 - I’m curious to hear how it goes with daily shampoo. My only concern would be cuticle damage Is the Redken shampoo really gentle?
It is super gentle, detangling and moisturizing on my hair. It actually has dethroned my holy grail shampoo, design essentials almond avocado, because it’s just that good.

as far as cuticle damage, I think I may be alright because the formulation has some hydrolyzed soy and vegetable protein, which both aid in strand integrity. My hair loves soy in small amounts (found that out from the mane choice soy leave-in).

and hey, if this all goes terribly wrong, I’m not above a nice chop :lol: but if it goes right, I would definitely shift my mindset permanently about what can and cannot be done to my hair.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Y’all I think I will continue with my experiment but actually start shampooing daily. :look: I know that is typically considered natural hair blasphemy but I stumbled upon old threads where people did this and were quite pleased with it.

my shampoo and conditioner combo (Redken all soft mega) leave my hair feeling sooo good. I think I will try for 10 days and evaluate how my hair feels.

the details:
Shampoo and condition
Only detangle with wide tooth comb (can’t do a brush daily)
Rake through a botanical gel or foam with nice ingredients (uncle funky, Nairobi, or KCCC)...maybe add wetline as topper depending on weather.
does the shampoo have sulfates in it?

ckisland

I know I said that I was going to try washing my hair once a week, but I'm just can't go back :lachen: !! I was talking to my sis, and she said that she thinks that my hair seems to have grown faster in the past month or so that I've been doing 2-3 wash days a week :scratchchin: . So Imma try out doing my hair every other to every 2 days since that's the mood I seem to be in.

I'll shampoo and DC once a week, but I need to figure out my detangling sweet spot. Either I need to use my brush when I DC and finger detangle at every other wash, or I'll need to detangle with my brush like every other wash.

My main concerns are: ssks and prolonged detangling days when I do use my brush. Is finger detangling effective enough to keep ssks from building up? What do y'all think?

faithVA

I tried a wash and go again today. Not sure I have the patient to learn the water/gel ratio for my hair. I'm thinking today, not enough water or gel. I will probably twist her up tomorrow night and then figure out what I will do next weekend :ohwell:

I seriously doubt this will last through the night.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I know I said that I was going to try washing my hair once a week, but I'm just can't go back :lachen: !! I was talking to my sis, and she said that she thinks that my hair seems to have grown faster in the past month or so that I've been doing 2-3 wash days a week :scratchchin: . So Imma try out doing my hair every other to every 2 days since that's the mood I seem to be in.

I'll shampoo and DC once a week, but I need to figure out my detangling sweet spot. Either I need to use my brush when I DC and finger detangle at every other wash, or I'll need to detangle with my brush like every other wash.

My main concerns are: ssks and prolonged detangling days when I do use my brush. Is finger detangling effective enough to keep ssks from building up? What do y'all think?
I really don’t believe in the efficacy of finger detangling, honestly. I think my fine strands really benefit from being separated with a well-made tool.

I use a wide tooth comb or swissco paddle brush. I would use the comb one wash day, brush the next.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
A random note from today’s shampoo and DC: MoKnowsHair had this video when she cautioned against over-processing your deep conditioner and for some reason, that phrasing really clicked for me. So now I really try to be mindful of time but some days like today, I just get caught up in errands running and left my DC on. My hair felt soft and good but definitely a little bit of mush, in comparison to when I stick to the suggested time frame.

I can’t believe I used to regularly leave DC on for hours at a time :lol: what was I thinking? So glad to have gotten out of my “more is more” mindset regarding haircare.

toaster

I tried a wash and go again today. Not sure I have the patient to learn the water/gel ratio for my hair. I'm thinking today, not enough water or gel. I will probably twist her up tomorrow night and then figure out what I will do next weekend :ohwell:

I seriously doubt this will last through the night.
Sorry it didn’t work out! Glad you know you can fall back on twists without too much of a hassle.

When our hair is annoying there’s nothing worst.

toaster

Okay I did it!

Booked an appointment with embrace natural beauty for next Friday.

I’m excited and nervous. I don’t plan to leave with my hair perfectly even, although that’s my final goal. For now I just want it a bit more even to take me another 6 months before I consider another trim.

toaster

So I'm starting the jello-shot experiment. I put some in a mini mason jar yesterday and will leave it in my bathroom. I will give you an update each week of its state. I'm sure it will make it a week, but will see how it goes from there.
This is a great experiment. I’d love to travel with a little Jell-O shot, but I’m worried it will mold in a few days?

fluffyforever

Today I used UFD alone in the shower. I prefer this gel alone outside of the shower even though it’s harder and takes longer to apply. My hair has no hold today and its still really wet.

In the shower, Eco styler gel is better.
Did my wash n go today. I’m experimenting with using a quarter size of leave-in for my whole head versus what I did last week of saturating the hair with leave in. Trying a mix of Anthony Dickey with BlackGirlCurls.

I notice my hair dries a lot faster and isn’t soaking wet all day from using less leave-in. Coil definition seems to be even more defined, but I did apply a lot more gel than I usually do.

I applied the gel outside of the shower this time and it was much harder to apply than in the shower. My hair dries pretty quickly now, but even though I kept rewetting the hair I still had to use more gel to feel like I was coating everything sufficiently. UFD has no slip until enough gel is used to make the section slippery.