Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

To anyone who uses earth tones gel... did yours change color? I’ve used it maybe twice and I just noticed the color looks different than I remember. It doesn’t smell funny but I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not
My jar contents get a little darker over time, but I don’t notice a smell or consistency change.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Ok I'ma come out of hiding. My wash and goes have been straight ashy with the random decent one happening here and there. I think that I just unlocked the cheat code because I used a diffuser for the first time this morning and my hair came out kinda looking like something. When I was sitting under the pibbs my hair would show some definition but mostly looked smushed and shrunken. So I might have stumbled on to some next level hair poo. I'm going to experiment a little more and see if anything comes of it.

faithVA

Ok I'ma come out of hiding. My wash and goes have been straight ashy with the random decent one happening here and there. I think that I just unlocked the cheat code because I used a diffuser for the first time this morning and my hair came out kinda looking like something. When I was sitting under the pibbs my hair would show some definition but mostly looked smushed and shrunken. So I might have stumbled on to some next level hair poo. I'm going to experiment a little more and see if anything comes of it.
Under the pibbs are you shaking before and then maybe 10 to 15 minutes in? What heat setting are you using? Medium? High

Let us know how it goes.

Crackers Phinn

Listen ya'll, I ain't say nuthin before cuz I was embarrassed but when your ash and goes...I mean wash and goes are terrible there's no such thing as second day hair. Nearly every morning since November when I started this I would either cowash or wet my hair in the shower, rake with some styling products and let my hair airdry with the occasional - "pooh, it's cold let me sit under this dryer!"

Yesterday I rewet my hair and applied styler and diffused and got a very decent wash and go. Last night I put my hair in two loose flat twists cuz I figured I'd just have to redo my hair in the morning. Ya'll, I took them twists out my hair this morning and for the first time since I started this I got second day hair AND it's stretched and looks more defined than yesterday.

The diffuser got my thang over here thangin'!

The key difference that I notice is that pre diffuser my roots would dry fuzzy and I'd have definition down the length of the hair. When I diffused I started at the roots and pulled my hair so it would dry stretched and it seems like it kept the coil definition from the root to the ends.

faithVA

Listen ya'll, I ain't say nuthin before cuz I was embarrassed but when your ash and goes...I mean wash and goes are terrible there's no such thing as second day hair. Nearly every morning since November when I started this I would either cowash or wet my hair in the shower, rake with some styling products and let my hair airdry with the occasional - "pooh, it's cold let me sit under this dryer!"

Yesterday I rewet my hair and applied styler and diffused and got a very decent wash and go. Last night I put my hair in two loose flat twists cuz I figured I'd just have to redo my hair in the morning. Ya'll, I took them twists out my hair this morning and for the first time since I started this I got second day hair AND it's stretched and looks more defined than yesterday.

The diffuser got my thang over here thangin'!

The key difference that I notice is that pre diffuser my roots would dry fuzzy and I'd have definition down the length of the hair. When I diffused I started at the roots and pulled my hair so it would dry stretched and it seems like it kept the coil definition from the root to the ends.
I like that 'ash and goes'. I have the same thing. Every now and then I get a good one but it is rare. Don't be embarrassed though. Everyone in here is supportive no matter what is or is not happening with your hair.

I'm glad your "thang is thangin" :rofl"

Keep on sharing. I need the company.

Crackers Phinn

I thought a pibbs would draw the hair up? Thats why I didnt get one when I asked years ago. I was told to get a hooded dryer because the pibbs would suck the hair up

@Crackers Phinn Do you find it has the hair at the top of your hair standing up?
Yep, the pibbs suctions the hair upwards if it's uncovered. Had me out here lookin like Don King. It's really meant to be used for rollersets or deep conditioning where the hair is covered or shaped on rollers.

GettingKinky

Here are some hair pics of the texture I’m working with. I’m on second day hair.

I think I’m going to try to stretch out my wash days. I enjoy doing CCS everyday like Anthony Dickey says, but then I read/ heard somewhere while looking into blackgirlcurls that too much water too often can damage the cortex??? I wish I saved a screenshot of that comment. They didn’t say exactly what is too much water and what is too frequently. Did anyone else hear about this?

View attachment 472797View attachment 472795View attachment 472793View attachment 472799
I remember asking if I could wash every 2 days and Aeleise telling me that I was asking for damage.
But she also used to say she washed every day when she was a swimmer, so I’m not sure I believe that daily washing has to be bad for your hair.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The first time I did it I used a hair net and that gave me box shaped hair. After that I wouldn't put anything on my hair but sit with the dryer tilted at an angle. My shrinkage is real real so the dryer never got close to suctioning my hair high enough to get sucked into the vent.
Ah okay.

my rolling dryer blows the back of my hair up some so I clip it until it’s a little damp\drier @Crackers Phinn

faithVA

I remember asking if I could wash every 2 days and Aeleise telling me that I was asking for damage.
But she also used to say she washed every day when she was a swimmer, so I’m not sure I believe that daily washing has to be bad for your hair.
Last year I wet my hair every day for 2 months and it worked out well. I didn't continue that forever. I also did not shampoo every day but wet my hair. I think wetting your hair daily can work but I think curlies using a shampoo daily can cause damage. Using one of those non suds shampoos might work.

I think wetting your hair daily when your hair is dehydrated works out well. Once your hair starts to hydrate, I think that is when the issues can start. :imo:

faithVA

@faithVA your hair is definitely growing and I really like the color.
Thank You. I compared yesterday's picture with April's picture and with that shrinkage I could barely tell the difference :lol: But I'm glad I can tell the difference when I shampoo.

Thank you about the color. I like the color too. Unfortunately the color in the picture isn't the color it is in real life. IRL it is a dark brown with a purple cast. When I stop being lazy I'm going to fix the lighting :look:

But I like the color and glad I finally found one that I can stick with.

ckisland

Today's wash day included:
Shampoo'd with MJ Honey Harmless
Conditioned with MJ Honey Sweet & Nice
Styled with MJ Leave-in Condish and Coily Custard
Time: 35 mins

The Honey Harmless is not moisturizing like Harm Me Knot. My hair was definitely more dry than I like afterwards. When I first applied the Honey condish it didn't have any slip, so I applied a lot to each of 4 sections before coming back to detangle with my brush. Game changer!! I never do this. I always detangle each section immediately after applying conditioner. Still wasn't a quick detangle session, but it was pretty smooth. I gently squeezed out each section before applying my leave-in, and once all of the leave-in was added, I applied Coily Custard. I actually squeezed my hair out before leaving the shower, but my hair was still dripping wet :rolleyes: . I tried to avoid it, but had to throw on my turbie twist. So far my hair's fluffy, soft and defined and I'm pretty happy!

Crackers Phinn

I have a Collins standing dryer on my Amazon wish list as it blows air downwards but it supposed to be as good/strong as a Pibbs. $599, so I’ll be waiting a while before I invest
I am not a dryer expert but the one thing that I can vouch for with the Pibbs is longevity. I bought mine in 2008 for $280 shipping included with a LHCF volume deal and that thing still works as well today as it did on day 1. I'm down to it costing me $22 a year. Ya'll got more wash and go experience but I really think that the hooded dryer is for deep conditioning/rollersetting whereas wash and goes require something that isn't constantly moving the hair in any direction leading to frizz.

Crackers Phinn

I'm on day 3 hair, I'm having some frizz that I think is more related to using a slightly watery serum to finger style my hair this morning instead of oil but my hair still looks better than my pre diffuser day 1 ash and goes. I put my hair in two loose flat twists again and the non frizzy hair is stretched and is ranging from coily to ramen noodle shaped which is interesting because my hair has never looked like this dry before. I'm watching the tube of you to learn how to pineapple my hair for consistent results but I am going to play around with these flat twist results a little more.

I'm not going anywhere this weekend so I'll prolly throw my hair in a puff but I think a wash day will be happening Monday before work.

oneastrocurlie

I am not a dryer expert but the one thing that I can vouch for with the Pibbs is longevity. I bought mine in 2008 for $280 shipping included with a LHCF volume deal and that thing still works as well today as it did on day 1. I'm down to it costing me $22 a year. Ya'll got more wash and go experience but I really think that the hooded dryer is for deep conditioning/rollersetting whereas wash and goes require something that isn't constantly moving the hair in any direction leading to frizz.

I have an LCL standing dryer. Besides one tiny section (that I pin down with a clip) it seems to blow downward. Or at least doesn't have my hair swirling about.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
My magic combo is a botanical or humectant gel as a leave-in + wetline. The humectant gel doesn’t really matter. At this point, I’ve done curl activators, uncle funky, kinky curly, and Camille rose curl maker. All give me moisturized, defined hair for as long as I want to last (only about 3-4 days till my next swim). Slight shine differences and applications but not very much.

I keep feeling compelled to “add” something to my hair daily when honestly it doesn’t need anything. That’s a weird feeling lol. Today I pretended that I needed shine and I sprayed some oil sheen on my day 3 hair just to do something :look: but truly it didn’t need anything.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Also, I’m going to get a buff for my hair. I got one once the gym opened to use as a mask while working out and I really wanted to see how that works since this Youtuber and I have such similar density and length. I washed and dried it first before trying last night in case that sounds gross lol.

I’m a believer. :yep: it held the hair in place and seems to require less “shaking” out than my bonnet. So I need to get another one for hair and I also love the excuse to go into a sporting goods store lol. I am a workout clothing fiend.

faithVA

My wash and go only made it 2 days, so I sprayed it with some water and put it in twists. That gives me a plan for the future. As I feel up to it I will try a wash and go with the back up plan of putting it in twists if its a fail. My wash and go fever is over for a minute so I will wear twist for the next two weeks.