Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

@faithVA She also seemed to use her fingers to literally separate each curl clump into individual curls. It didn’t take her very long to do that at all, but I definitely don’t have the patience.
She has years of experience doing it as well and she also understands when to use each technique. I have seen this done before but I don't understand what technique to use when. And when they explain it they just lump everything into some generic term like smoothing or raking or whatever.

My question about the conditioner was could you tell if it was already diluted? was it concentrated? Which conditioner did she use? and how much?

I know I've watched Dickie use a lot of conditioner but I can tell he has already diluted that conditioner.

toaster

@faithVA she used innersense hydrating conditioner and it was straight out of the bottle, not diluted.

BUT my hair was soaking wet when she applied it, and if she ever encountered any issues with tangles she had a bowl of hot water and poured it over the section. Only once did she add more product for my low porosity section that was causing her some issues.

I couldn’t see how many pumps of conditioner she used, but my hair was WHITE. She posted a picture in her Instagram stories.

She detangled me sitting up in a chair and the ground was covered in water and conditioner. Took her two towels to soak it up and clean it up.

Attachments

• BACD26A7-64CA-4292-994F-8C3C42DE343D.jpg
    BACD26A7-64CA-4292-994F-8C3C42DE343D.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 52

ckisland

I did less washes last week because I had some swimmer's ear pain going on, and needed to let that heal. Luckily I had set my hair with Coily Custard, so my hair lasted 4 days with no problems. I washed my hair yesterday (Sunday) and put it in a bun :clap: . My first bun since my bc :blush:.

Cleanse: TMC Egyptian Shampoo (I didn't like how my hair felt, so I washed again with Harm Me Knot)
DC: Obia Babassu Therapy Hair Mask (1 hr)
Time with wash, detangle, DC: 1.5 hrs

I am officially at the length where ssks have joined the chat :rolleyes: . I'm so glad that I'd started the habit of finger detangling each section before using my brush because I caught one of those hair balls that like 10 strands were all attached to. So I need to be more diligent with my detangling and product application to keep things running smoothly. I might also throw some bunning in the mix :yep:.

Once I rinsed out the DC, I put my hair in a turbie twist to get a lot of the water out. After that, I sprayed Hydration Spray all over, applied a lot of Curl Moisture Cream and "sealed" with Sweet Almond Heavy Cream. I used the Enhancing Custard to smooth my hair up, and used my hands to smooth my hair into a ponytail (used a scrunchie). It took me a minute to figure out how to make the bun, but I ended up splitting the hair in half and twisting it around.

GettingKinky

@toaster
I like hearing how heavy handed your stylist is with conditioner and products. I always get my best results when I’m heavy handed.

I don’t know why in the digital salon Aeleise would tell people that they don’t need a lot of product. She would always say not to apply product in sections because you will use too much. As far as I’m concerned I’ve never seen a downside to using lots of product - except to my wallet. :)

Britt

@toaster
I like hearing how heavy handed your stylist is with conditioner and products. I always get my best results when I’m heavy handed.

I don’t know why in the digital salon Aeleise would tell people that they don’t need a lot of product. She would always say not to apply product in sections because you will use too much. As far as I’m concerned I’ve never seen a downside to using lots of product - except to my wallet. :)
Exactly, I know I can't be stingy with product. The layered gels really help to weigh your hair down and give you good results.

@toaster your hair looks great and she did a good job with the trim. I notice how the CIK stylists really take their time with the setting part. I'd imagine for someone with longer and high density hair how long it takes for them to get a good set.

GettingKinky

I'm interested in seeing how much product my CIK stylists uses. When I use too much product my hair sticks together and I get no separation. And my set doesn't last as long. I can't even be a little heavy handed. My hair can't seem to take it. But I keep trying :lol:
I find I have to also spend a lot of time raking my hair too. That helps a lot with the separation and movement. If I’m lazy with the raking I get a more helmet-like result.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I like my hair today. I shampooed and conditioned out that nasty ampro prostyl argan gel, which literally looked like boogers in my hair. :nono: I used Redken all soft mega and just shampooed twice to make sure it was all out.

Did my hair with aunt Jackie’s flaxseed gel (using things up!) and used my hooded dryer to 80%, then slept in my buff. The cast kind of broke in the buff. I didn’t do much smoothing and I like the volume that I have today.

I might lightly dryer stretch for more volume for my trip tomorrow, but I think that the NOLA humidity makes that idea a silly one. :lol: I’m bringing a buff and nothing else for my hair. If I hop in the pool, I will grab a small cheap gel from Walgreens and use the hotel shampoo/conditioner. looking forward to bourbon street shenanigans with my vaccinated girlfriends!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I apologize in advance for all the notifications that I’m prompting by reading through the earlier pages in the thread. I’m just pretty excited about getting a crash course in a new way to care for my hair. I can’t pass by these beautiful pics without a “like” lol.

I’ve done three BC’s from a fade (literal scalp length lol), been a heat trained natural, rollersets, braidouts, twists, you name it.......but I have NEVER viewed the wash and go as a viable option for my hair. So thank you ladies for the wash and go encyclopedia that you have provided in this thread! :yep:

faithVA

I find I have to also spend a lot of time raking my hair too. That helps a lot with th
I apologize in advance for all the notifications that I’m prompting by reading through the earlier pages in the thread. I’m just pretty excited about getting a crash course in a new way to care for my hair. I can’t pass by these beautiful pics without a “like” lol.

I’ve done three BC’s from a fade (literal scalp length lol), been a heat trained natural, rollersets, braidouts, twists, you name it.......but I have NEVER viewed the wash and go as a viable option for my hair. So thank you ladies for the wash and go encyclopedia that you have provided in this thread! :yep:
I've think we have gone from short to long a few times together. What I remember about your hair is that it grows fast. And it was beautiful hair. Sort of goes without saying.

I know I've never been able to do a wash and go before. I tried many times in previous years and my hair would always draw up and tangle within 24 hours. So it was a no for me.

But @GettingKinky dropped some knowledge on me last year which saved my hair from another round of confusion. I still haven't mastered the wash and go. But I do know my hair has retained length like never before. My hair is currently retaining at what would usually take me 3 years to get.

There is definitely some knowledge and super helpful sistahs in this thread :yep:

sunshinebeautiful

:yep: I did the same thing a few months ago. I was in here reading and liking old posts for days!

sunshinebeautiful

I know I've never been able to do a wash and go before. I tried many times in previous years and my hair would always draw up and tangle within 24 hours. So it was a no for me.

But @GettingKinky dropped some knowledge on me last year which saved my hair from another round of confusion. I still haven't mastered the wash and go. But I do know my hair has retained length like never before. My hair is currently retaining at what would usually take me 3 years to get.

There is definitely some knowledge and super helpful sistahs in this thread :yep:

That is incredible. Length retention was one of my challenges as well. I'd get to about shoulder length when stretched and then that was it lol. I bit the bullet and got a serious cut a few months ago and I'm so curious to see if I finally get the length retention that I've been seeking all this time. My hair does feel a lot healthier this time around. I wish I could fast forward into the future to see what happens :lol:

fluffyforever

I washed with Redken clean hair maniac 3 times and then squished to condish with AG. Used AJ elongating flaxseed gel. Blow dried until it felt dry. I used a diffuser for the first time and I feel my hair shrunk even more than without the diffuser attachment. Still didn’t dry my roots well, but the results are great.

With the AJ gel I noticed that the crown and front of my hair have actually started to curl up, when usually they remain frizzy puff balls that show no pattern of any kind whatsoever ever. I’m not sure if it’s the gel because it’s heavier or if those sections are just becoming more hydrated with each wash. I don’t remember ecostyler helping despite that gel having a stronger hold.

AJ gel doesn’t flake and I am extremely heavy handed with gels. And it seems to wash out easily with the Redken. I’m going to use it until my salon sized UFD arrives.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I know next time add water to the curlymagic instead of going straight to the topper of the ICH . I’ve never had to do that before. My hair was still sticky in moisture areas but in AC office it was smooth and satiny. Soon as I hit outside, sticky feeling.
I didn’t have ultra definition but my hair was defined if that makes any sense.

toaster

I’m washing out my wash and go tonight. :sad:

Heading out tomorrow for 10 days, so want to leave with fresh hair.

I have curly magic packed in travel bottles and thanks to @faithVA ill be bringing my Jell-O shot with me as well. I’ll be at home for 6 of the days, so it will only be not refrigerated for 4 days.

Hopefully my new nurture gel will ship this week. Their Instagram says it’s back in stock.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Cowashed with Soultanicals Ambunu rhassoul cowash and a little of Hairgarten carrot cowash. It’s almost gone so I was trying to use it up.

applied UFD Curly Magic and detangled with watery hands. Out of the shower I used the Jell-O shot on top.

Currently under the dryer to help set it a little. I’m working a later shift today so I don’t go until 2 pm.

Attachments

• 20AC59D7-0E1B-480F-B5D8-9770C621072A.jpeg
    20AC59D7-0E1B-480F-B5D8-9770C621072A.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 34
  • C6B896C4-31BA-406F-8AAA-B38CB1E08427.jpeg
    C6B896C4-31BA-406F-8AAA-B38CB1E08427.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 32

GGsKin

I know next time add water to the curlymagic instead of going straight to the topper of the ICH . I’ve never had to do that before. My hair was still sticky in moisture areas but in AC office it was smooth and satiny. Soon as I hit outside, sticky feeling.
I didn’t have ultra definition but my hair was defined if that makes any sense.
I washed my hair yesterday and topped UFD with Jello Shot. My hair feels great- nice cast and not sticky at all.

The last time, I used UFD alone, and maybe I used too much but my hair felt sticky until I washed it out. I take small sections when applying my gel and if I don't want sticky hair, I must use 1 pump or less per section.

It was the first time I let my hair airdry with that product, and I notice I didn't get a hard cast like I did when I used it alone the first time and diffused dry.

toaster

Under the dryer now!

Loving the AG/innersense shampoo combo. I don’t remember the hair bath having as much lather as it had today. Must be because I was using it on already shampoo’d hair.

Used a ton of conditioner to detangle and it was soooo much easier. I lost a lot less hair. It’s definitely not economical though. I need to see if the innersense conditioner is less than briogeo per ounce.

When Abena styled my hair she put all the gel in and then I sat in a chair to style. She asked me if I could feel how heavy my hair was with product. I tried to replicate that heavy feeling today with UFD and Jell-O shot. We’ll see if it works. Right now it feels like I’ll never be dry. Her dryer was much hotter than my tabletop dryer.

toaster

Kind of dry! 50 minutes under the dryer and 15 minutes of diffusing. Using a lot of product got me a lot of definition, but I need a much better standing dryer. At the salon I was dry in 40 minutes.

Length check pictures attached from before I washed, and pictures of my hair after drying/diffusing. 66AA134A-8027-4D16-89BB-16BDC8F07059.jpeg9357E99F-ADE8-4B81-A246-B7C40763EC61.jpeg49EB93D6-4428-4BFF-AC5E-565FC50EB7F5.jpeg