Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I briefly saw her post on IG but I didn't have the time to listen or get the gist of how she felt. I read some of the comments saying it looked good, but as soon as I saw your post here, before I even hit play, I wondered who hacked her hair? That end comparison pic is shocking and saddening.
It looks better shorter though. I still feel sorry for her. She had enough length to get what she wanted. At least she can grow it back

GettingKinky

@DVAntDany I like both of your goal pictures. That will be a tough choice when the time comes.

Briogeo makes samples of many of their products. I always get a sample or two when I order from them. Maybe if you email and ask they will send you some of the ones you are interested in.

DVAntDany

I does look good short. The shape is just so off from what her stylist had to work with, its crazy smh.
A lot of these CIK stylist are getting the struggle bus cuts lately and I’ve been wondering why. This is what I mean by that. They have the length, yet they are getting the trapezoid cuts everyone has been complaining to them about. Abena’s situation really made no sense though. The two others that come to mind are Judy and JC.

Judy Marabou of Marabou Curls

and

JC Dobson of Freshly Rooted Salon

These are the cuts they say one has to get because she lacks the “hair budget.” They say it’s necessary to do in order to grow into the style she wants. Maybe I feel confused because they are getting rid of the front length when its was already there. Or maybe it’s just hard for me to see they didn’t have it in the first place.

I understand the grow out process. I’ve watched many men do it. Here is an example of this guy’s many cuts to get him to his longer hair.

Back to Abena’s situation, once fluffed it looks a whole lot better. I think some good can come from this. She now gets to experience that first day weighed down situation that the CIK stylists are telling people to live with until the hair naturally blooms. It’s not a pretty situation to walk around like that for a day or two. Maybe she can figure a way to have more volume but still have longevity. Plus rake and smooth doesn’t give the instant volume like shingling.

sunshinebeautiful

I ran across Abena's posts yesterday too and listened to one of her videos. She wanted a shorter but fuller sort of "two dimensional" shape that she had before when her hair was shorter. This woman gave her shorter, but she also did a whole lot of layering that Abena did not want or ask for. When she initially posted after the cut I was like wow, the stylist created "holes" and disconnections that the other BGC stylists are always talking about having to fill in on clients without proper "hair budget," which was clearly not the case here because Abena had ALL the hair.

The stylist Abena went to was not Cut It Kinky trained but she had gotten a trim and silk press from this stylist before and thought she'd be capable of delivering the curly cut she wanted, which was a fail. I don't think her haircut looks bad, but I totally understand that it's not what you wanted or asked for, and she has trusted this stylist to deliver.

toaster

Finally watched all of Abena’s videos. I’m shocked she didn’t go to a cut it kinky stylist… EDIT: she went to a CIK stylist, but still hated the cut.

I know she took the training, but I think she really dislikes the actual haircuts most CIK stylists give and she didn’t trust them to cut her long hair.

Now the lady she did go to obviously jacked her up anyway. I wonder if she will do a corrective cut, or just grow her hair back out.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I don't think I would ever get a curly cut unless I was going for a big chop. With the way my curls are so small and slinky, its easy to cut off 5 inches without realizing it.

You'd have to go with a stylist that literally cuts curl by curl. My chick cuts that way. The cutting portion of appointment is just as long or longer than the styling.

That's why I like being cut on freshly washed and styled hair that I did. She's cutting it from the point of how I do my hair. Not how she does it. Cause she has magic fingers and her styling isn't my styling. But the cut is based on how I style my hair. Idk if that makes any sense.

DVAntDany

I tried Mousse Def on top of Jello shot didn’t give me the matte finish I was hoping for. I’m not sure if it just won’t do that or if I didn’t use enough foam.
Next Saturday I’m going to try Inner Peace over Jello shot.
Mousse def leaves my hair shiny. I'm not sure if that mousse will give you the matte look you are after. However, my mom says Mousse Def leaves her matte. Cantu Wave Whip Curling Mousse leaves my hair very matte and more undefined than if I don't use product at all.

DVAntDany

You'd have to go with a stylist that literally cuts curl by curl. My chick cuts that way. The cutting portion of appointment is just as long or longer than the styling.

That's why I like being cut on freshly washed and styled hair that I did. She's cutting it from the point of how I do my hair. Not how she does it. Cause she has magic fingers and her styling isn't my styling. But the cut is based on how I style my hair. Idk if that makes any sense.
That makes sense.

A few people who have gotten their first CIK cuts have been talking about this. One lady had her first appointment and the stylist thought her wng was good enough to cut. Then the stylist washed and styled her hair afterwards. The lady wasn't happy with how the stylist styled after the cut. She said it didn't look right. Hopefully, it will look better when she washes and styles it for herself.

oneastrocurlie

That makes sense.

A few people who have gotten their first CIK cuts have been talking about this. One lady had her first appointment and the stylist thought her wng was good enough to cut. Then the stylist washed and styled her hair afterwards. The lady wasn't happy with how the stylist styled after the cut. She said it didn't look right. Hopefully, it will look better when she washes and styles it for herself.

Yeah hopefully. As much as those CIK people charge I'll need to go look great afterwards lol. My girl isn't a CIK or BGC affiliated. I love how she styles my hair but I can never quite get it like that at home. I'm cool with that. I like my styling too but she's a trained professional so in theory her styling should look better than mine.

GettingKinky

My last haircut - the first one in 17 months- took almost 90 minutes just for the cut. It’s the best haircut I’ve ever had. I didn’t even look to see how much hair she cut off.
I’m curious to see how she does the maintenance cut since my goal is to grow my hair out.

DVAntDany

I want to do a wash n go tonight but my hooded dryer is coming tomorrow. Idk if I should wait for it. I'm already sick of wearing my wig lol I don't want wigs to be my crutch. Plus my hair grew the most when I washed and goed exclusively
If you are anything like me, some days I wash my hair 2 days in a row. Testing products or using up the old stuff can be done tonight. In a day or two, use your good ol’faithfuls with your new dryer.

DVAntDany

Yeah hopefully. As much as those CIK people charge I'll need to go look great afterwards lol. My girl isn't a CIK or BGC affiliated. I love how she styles my hair but I can never quite get it like that at home. I'm cool with that. I like my styling too but she's a trained professional so in theory her styling should look better than mine.
I think one of them had a stylist who has taken the class but not on the alumni list. Don’t quote me on that though.

Britt

I agree 100%! For the cost of the CIK service, you should love your cut. Does your stylist cut on curly hair or blow dried/straightened hair?
I just saw Judy's cut above and honestly, it looks terrible to me, she could've got hooked up better than that, and the lady below her cut looks bad too. LouLou cuts well and Idoitforthecurlz on IG cut well. If I lived in Cali, I would def go to Idoitforthecurlz, I just like her overall style and how she does hair, you can tell she has an eye for what cuts and styling look good, she's a CIK stylist but she also was deva trained I believe.

Britt

I didn't watch Abena's video but I saw her post, I don't think her cut looks bad, I do think her stylist had such a perfect canvas to work with that she could've hooked her up a little better. But Abena's hair is so stunning and perfect to me lol, it still looks beautiful to me. She has the type of hair that she could use any styler and it will always look and perform the same. I remember last year when I was in the BGC forum and a member posted a video of Abena I think using CurlMix and Aishia straight up said Abena has unicorn hair, so don't expect the same results she has lol.

oneastrocurlie

I agree 100%! For the cost of the CIK service, you should love your cut. Does your stylist cut on curly hair or blow dried/straightened hair?
I just saw Judy's cut above and honestly, it looks terrible to me, she could've got hooked up better than that, and the lady below her cut looks bad too. LouLou cuts well and Idoitforthecurlz on IG cut well. If I lived in Cali, I would def go to Idoitforthecurlz, I just like her overall style and how she does hair, you can tell she has an eye for what cuts and styling look good, she's a CIK stylist but she also was deva trained I believe.

Curly hair. I go with a day-ish old wash and go. I follow Idoitforthecurlz on IG too. I love her styling. LouLou's as well.

DVAntDany

I think a few others like Kristy Ramos is a CIK stylist too who’s work looks good. Like many of the talented hair cutting curl artists, they have extensive training in cutting techniques. Being a CIK stylist is only one of the many notches in their belts.

It would make sense if Judy and JC stated somewhere that they are going to go through the experience like their clients to show how a cut can grow out. Do you all remember when Lisa Akbari relaxed her hair just so she could help show people in real time how to transition to natural? I was hoping it was something like that, but I haven’t been able to easily find info stating that.

DVAntDany

Thought I’d give you all a soft of first impressions review on Rizos Curls I tested on my hair and some extension 3b/c hair of my mom’s. The Curl Defining Cream removes frizz instead of defining tighter curls. It has no weight, but can get very oily if too much is used. Even though it can feel oily, depending on how I apply it can produce no shine on my hair.

Raking this product through my hair removes all curl definition and produces frizz. I imagine using a vehicle underneath like the leave-in refresher is needed to give the defining cream slip and spread ability. Without a leave-in, this must be applied in thin sections with a prayer hand motion for desired results. That also means the product should be applied to both sides of the hair for shine and definition.

On silkier extension hair that has a strong curl pattern when wet, the defining cream produced gloss and even gave hold. I felt a little cast that needed to be scrunched out when the hair dried.

From all the reviews, the leave-in and deep conditioner are also prominent stars. I haven’t tried them yet. Also on my hair, the gel has a very soft hold. It’s even softer than the Pattern Curl Gel. The defining cream is very fragrant but it smells good. Minus the gel, I hear everything else in the line smells the same and just as fragrant.

Until I try the defining cream over a slippery leave-in, I’ll refrain from saying this is a complete fail. Currently, It requires too much effort for one day hair. I assume it works better as part of a system than a stand alone product. I might try the reverse wng like CurlMix and see if I can tell a difference.

Last edited:

toaster

I haven’t seen really long wash and go’s with tight waves that look good with the type of cut that Abena received.

Her hair has face framing layers and then just drops in the back to be shoulder length, and you can see the disconnect.

I always thought Abena’s hair was a bit off when it was all one length, but when I look for inspiration for long tight waves, one length overall does look better.

When the hair has looser waves or actual o-curls versus s-waves, I think long layers looks better in a curly stays.

DVAntDany

I haven’t seen really long wash and go’s with tight waves that look good with the type of cut that Abena received.

Her hair has face framing layers and then just drops in the back to be shoulder length, and you can see the disconnect.

I always thought Abena’s hair was a bit off when it was all one length, but when I look for inspiration for long tight waves, one length overall does look better.

When the hair has looser waves or actual o-curls versus s-waves, I think long layers looks better in a curly stays.
Now that I think about it, you are right about the wavy hair cuts and layers. I'm not sure if her Inspo past pic was when she had started doing to rake and smooth method or not. It looks like it but maybe it wasn't. I wonder how her hair cut would look if she shingled it like she did in the past. Aint nobody got time for that, but I'm just curious.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did a wash n go with my new hooded dryer. I sat under it for an hour on medium setting and my hair was just a bit damp in some parts. I had to sleep pretty last night.I used ORS moisture max leave in conditioner and a mix of African pride moisture miracle black castor oil max hold gel and wetline xtreme gel in green. My hair still feels moist almost like its still wet. I'm not sure I like it.

I was able to rake and smooth these products fairly easily. I usually use a Denman brush or shingle my hair but I think I got pretty results with just my fingers. It was also faster to do too. I think I will finger detangle and style exclusively If I can get repeated results with just raking and smoothing.

Here is a picture. I haven't posted a picture on a while

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@Napp you’ve always had beautiful curls. Do you like your new dryer?
Thank you! I haven't come to appreciate my hair texture just yet. It still kind of annoys me but I appreciate the fullness I have being natural. My hair is starting to thin due to genetics and keeping it natural and the fluff factor of my hair hides that.

So far I like my new dryer. It does have a strange electric smell when I put it on Its highest setting. Its not as nice as the collins dryer but it will have to do for now. I think it's the African pride gel that is super moisturizing that took alot of time to dry. I might try wetline gel alone to see if I can be fully dry in an hour.

I tried a different technique where I wring out as much water from my hair with a microfiber towel and then apply my leave in and gel. I think this contributed to my hair drying faster. It was almost dry. Just not 100% and I cant sleep on damp hair.

Britt

I think a few others like Kristy Ramos is a CIK stylist too who’s work looks good. Like many of the talented hair cutting curl artists, they have extensive training in cutting techniques. Being a CIK stylist is only one of the many notches in their belts.

It would make sense if Judy and JC stated somewhere that they are going to go through the experience like their clients to show how a cut can grow out. Do you all remember when Lisa Akbari relaxed her hair just so she could help show people in real time how to transition to natural? I was hoping it was something like that, but I haven’t been able to easily find info stating that.
Right, those are the better CIK stylists to me. I totally agree about Kristy also.