Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

For some reason I've been interested in what hair cuts to start looking into for when my hair finally gets longer. I already knew about the Deva Cut and Rezo Cut. Earlier this year I found out about the Cut It Kinky Cut. This is my first time hearing about the Diametrix Cut.

https://www.wildheartsalon.net/post/curly-cuts

https://christonyc.com/2019/06/06/rezo-cut-vs-diametrix-cut/

Are there any other curly cuts I should know about?
There’s the Mona Cut. But that’s only in her salon in NYC

GettingKinky

Saturday is my wash day and I usually hop in the shower between 10-11am. But this Saturday I have to leave the house no later than 9:30am.
I’m debating if I want to wash my hair at 8 or just do a lazy wash on Sunday or Monday and bun all week.
I’m leaning towards a lazy wash on Monday.

GettingKinky

I got up early so I could wash my hair before I had to leave the house. I was fast today.

56 monutrs
0:12 shampoo 2x, condition, detangle
0:05 Wash body, rinse conditoner
0:14 Apply stylers & style
0:06 Rinse shower, dry off, apply styler #3
0:10 Diffuse
0:09 Brush teeth, apply face products get dressed

I did UFD/JS/inner peace again. Hopefully rushing won’t affect my results.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Wash day was yesterday and I tried new products for my wash n go.

Leave in: Africa's Best Moisture Miracle Leave in Spray
Styler: S-curl curl and wave activator gel Ecostyler super olive gel

I decided to try shingling this time around and I think I prefer the look I get from raking and smoothing. Plus I felt like shingling might be too much manipulation. I snapped a few strands when I was twirling. If I shingle again I might not twirl the ends and just separate and smooth. I wonder if that would give me a different look.

The leave in practically did nothing. It was like water in my hair. I used half the bottle because I couldn't feel it working at all. The Scurl activator gel acted like the leave in but thicker. I used almost the whole tube on my head. It didn't define my curl pattern. It also softened the cast of the ecostyler gel that I put on top. I'm on day 2 hair and it has already frizzed out. It is also very sticky to the touch. I sprayed some dry oil on it to counteract the tackiness. I also noticed little blue balls in my hair. it seems that this wasn't a good combo. I will try the activator gel one more time but just less of it and under Wetline gel to see if I have better results. And that African pride leave in is trash. I don't know what ill do with the rest. Maybe I'll use it as a curl refresher or something.

Day one 95% Dry

IMG_8258 small.JPG

Day 2 Fully Dry
IMG_8314 small.JPG

GettingKinky

My stylist Nov calendar just opened up and none of her available date/times work for me. :-(

I found a non-ideal time that I can make work. So instead of going for my maintence cut after 16 weeks it will be after 14 weeks. And it’s an evening appointment on a Sunday which is kind of a drag since I have to drive 1:20 each way.

Last edited:

toaster

My stylist Nov calendar just opened up and none of her available date/times work for me. :-(

I found a non-ideal time that I can make work. So instead of going for my maintence cut after 16 weeks it will be after 14 weeks. And it’s an evening appointment on a Sunday which is kind of a drag since I have to drive 1:20 each way.
Ugh hate how that works!

We’re actually moving states at the end of the month so now I’ll have to fly back to New York twice a year for my haircuts.

I’ll be back once a month for work anyway, so it shouldn’t be too inconvenient.

DVAntDany

An inconvenient schedule sucks but at least you were able to find something.

Last edited:

DVAntDany

I have my consultation with Lou tomorrow. Hopefully she can get me in the right direction for achieving my wash and go goals.

I have still being playing around with creams and cream-gels. I’ve notice that most take just as long as gels to dry. Many will leave my hair white while I wait for them to dry down. The more saturated white spots that take longer to dry achieve better curl definition and a silkier quality. I don’t know how to achieve that evenly distributed throughout the strands. Some products do it just to the ends. Other products do it to the roots only or to just my tightest curls.

So far Miss Jessie’s products are winning. The Coily Custard gives great shine and has a soft scrunchable cast. The humidity makes it sticky and turn into an Afro the next day. It gave a shiny Afro though. This is the type of product that I have to wait until it dries to see definition and for it to look better. If it gave more definition and wasn’t sticky, this would be a love. I’ll try again when the dew point isn’t 70+ degrees.

I tried Pillow Soft Curls again. It dries quickly. I heart anything that doesn’t take a million years to dry. It also makes my hair super fluffy instead of frizzy. There is a decent amount of sheen the past few times I’ve tried. I had a little flaking near the roots and the definition just wasn’t there. This would be so pretty and effortless looking on longer hair. It would be perfect if it gave definition and wee bit more shine.

Pattern Curl Gel just isn’t cutting it. Besides medium definition with softness, it doesn’t beat simply using a leave-in or cream under mousse. Practically the same result of dull looking fluffy curls, but mousse dries much faster. The curl gel takes forever to dry and it’s only one day hair. If I sleep on it, it will be gone when I wake up.

Since the hurricanes, glycerine products just don’t dry down easily and often stay sticky. I think I’ll forever be a mousse girl if this humidity doesn’t go away.

oneastrocurlie

I need to play with jello shot more. The hold is skrong but almost too skrong (not a typo). I'll ease up on how much I use next time. I hope using with UFD will make spreading a little easier. It's not too difficult to spread but compared to my other gels it's not effortless.

Also if that was my only gel and I used how much I used the last two washes it wouldn't last me very long and at that price and not being available on the ground...no can do.

GettingKinky

I need to play with jello shot more. The hold is skrong but almost too skrong (not a typo). I'll ease up on how much I use next time. I hope using with UFD will make spreading a little easier. It's not too difficult to spread but compared to my other gels it's not effortless.

Also if that was my only gel and I used how much I used the last two washes it wouldn't last me very long and at that price and not being available on the ground...no can do.
I think you’ll like it over UFD. It’s much easier to spread and you can use less.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
For my maintenance cut I decided to just do the cut. The cut is $175 and cut and style is $300. Last time her styling was beautiful, but it only lasted for 3 days. That’s not worth $125.
plus my appointment is Sunday night and I’ll want to get home.
Maynnn I read that first as the cut was $175 and the style was an additional $300. :rofl:

DVAntDany

@DVAntDany what time is your consult with Lou? I can’t wait to hear about it.
It was really interesting to hear what Lou suggested. My prescribed routine is a little similar to the hydration challenge. There are a few specific changes.

Things that surprised me were doing additional smoothing of the conditioner. Its similar to Abena's method but to do it also after detangling. She is also perfectly fine with air drying. Turns out it makes sense for this drying method because there is no heavy coating to take forever to dry.

Something I never considered was that Im using too much product with my leave-in/stylers. I’m also doing a lot of raking instead of more smoothing. So if the product looks white in my hair then Im using too much. Im so use to saturating my hair in products that it didn't dawn on me that there could be another way. Plus, you never know with products that dry clear. This is also probably why my hair can sometimes look dull with the Pattern Curl Gel and other times have a sheen.

Haha, she even commented on my hair cut. She suggested to get someone to soften the edges. I personally think my current cut only works with BGC heavy product styling.

35B346BF-B1A0-417F-8DF3-5FAC3A326C98.jpeg
The top left is what my hair looks like if I use heavy gels and air dry. It will stay looking this way for an entire week if I don’t do anything about it. It takes a lot of work to lift it back up even when sitting under a hooded dryer and blasting it with a diffuser. This is what I meant by I looked like a wet dog.

Bottom left is the Miss Jessie’s Coily Custard air dried. It was a sticky mess and turned into an Afro the next day. Regardless, you can see that products with some weight and the side part work with the haircut.

Top Right is the end of day one diffused hair with Pattern Curl Gel. To be honest, I prefer the look of the curl gel air dried. I was trying to get rid of all the white spots before heading out of the door. The triangular hair cut with no part and no heaviness doesn’t look as good from the front. There was a part when I initially styled it though.

Bottom right is today. This is what my day 2 afros look like. This is what Lou saw. In person it looks really tight curly but you’d never know by that picture. My hair is in the shape of a rainbow with little angled points on the end.

So my hair journey continues. I’ve been trying to document on the blogs on here and posted Lou’s recommendations on it. It’s not complicated but it’s not just a short blurb either.

faithVA

Maybe you can send her an email of a day and time you would like in December and ask if she can hold a spot for you since you travel so far? Waiting a few more weeks shouldn't hurt anything.

faithVA

My stylist hasn't put up her November calendar yet. I'm going to try to get an early morning appointment. I'm just going to get my ends trimmed and wait until Spring to decide if I want to reshape.

My hair is definitely growing but I have a long way to go to get to a point where I want to try a wash and go again.

But I am definitely curious to see what it looks like in November.

Just going to watch you ladies until then :yep:

toaster

My stylist hasn't put up her November calendar yet. I'm going to try to get an early morning appointment. I'm just going to get my ends trimmed and wait until Spring to decide if I want to reshape.

My hair is definitely growing but I have a long way to go to get to a point where I want to try a wash and go again.

I was coming in here to check on you, but here you are!

happy for growth and excited for your upcoming trim!

GettingKinky

Maybe you can send her an email of a day and time you would like in December and ask if she can hold a spot for you since you travel so far? Waiting a few more weeks shouldn't hurt anything.
I could try that. But technically if I wait until December I’ll be a new client again and not an established one. I think I’ll just keep my late October appointment. It’s one inconvenient Sunday, I’ll survive.

GettingKinky

How long do you want your hair before you try a wash n go again?

faithVA

How long do you want your hair before you try a wash n go again?
Ideally, I would like the back long enough to put it up in a puff if it is a fail. I think I need another 2 to 4 inches. That hard taper in the back was a horrible move.

But I think at least by Spring my sides will be long enough to come down over my ears a bit. That might be enough for me to feel like I have some type of style. I think I need that extra length to get my hair to last for at least 4 days.

But we will see what November brings. It just might surprise me.

faithVA

I colored my hair tonight. And I feel really good about my hair. I usually color over two days. I wash and condition on day 1, let it dry and then color the next. I didn't feel up to that so I did it all today. I clarified which I always do before I color. I followed that with Elucence moisturizing shampooe and conditioned with a conditioner I picked up from one of the grocery stores. I put on a turban and let my hair dry a bit.

After about 20 minutes I put in the color and let it sit for about 45 minutes. I rinsed and used the Madison Reed shampoo and conditioner that is for color treated hair. I love this shampoo and conditioner. It is expensive but I don't see myself being without it. They make my hair feel so luscious. After I rinsed out the conditioner, I soaked my hair with water and then I took 1 to 2 pumps of UFD and applied it randomly in sections.

I knew I wasn't going to do a wash and go but I did want to put my gel on tonight so I can be ready to do 2 strands tomorrow.

It was a good preview of how my hair has grown and how my hair may potentially look in November when I get it done.

It is starting to move towards my ears. I will definitely need some type of shape in the Spring to wear it out.

But for now I put it in big twist to get me through the day tomorrow.