Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

DVAntDany

Hey, you all. Good news. No cancer. Instead, I have tmj disorder. I'm told that a night guard, Motrin and meditation are suppose to stop throbbing headaches and the feeling like my ear drum and a cheese grater are engaging in coitus.

Yay! I get to keep my hair though. Feeling crappy has really put my hair goals in perspective. I need easy and efficient hair. That means easy to style and can air dry under 5 hours. This soft shiny curls with volume may have to be put on the back burner. I'm thinking of 3 last things to try before I take a break from my pursuit.

1. First, is trying air-dry stylers or liquid leave-ins under mousse. Typical leave-ins under mousse have given me the soft results I seek, but increased the dry time. When using heat to speed up the drying process, the shine is lost for some reason. Yes, the drying time of leave-in + mousse is much faster than gel only when using heat, but I prefer the shine of air drying. I already have a sample size of CurlSmith Weightless Air Dry Cream. I will put that to test this weekend.

2. The second option is upgrading my mousse/foam. This is scary because of the price to quantity valuation...let alone knowing if it will actually do anything for my hair. I'm talking about products like Aquage Sikening Foam, Joico Joiwhip Design Foam, and Ouai Air Dry Foam. Reminiscing about Pantene Silky Moisture Whip's application and texture has me wanting to try products geared toward a different targeted audience. Hear me out. For brands outside of the highly-textured (curly/coily) hair space, hard hold products are for loose waves/curls and creamy soft products are for tighter dry curls. The category of my beloved mousse falls under fine textured hair. Luckily, these more expensive brands often have travel sizes.

It may sound like I'm circling back to something I mentioned earlier, but Im on a different path. Earlier I was looking into "fine curly" hair stylers. I've tried several already. They either do nothing for my hair and leave me with a dull undefined frizz ball. Or they leave my curls super crunchy like I used a gel form of hard hold hair spray.

Im not giving up on my firmer mousses that are for tight curls. I've been through 2 bottles of Mousse Def and 3 of Mielle's Pom & Honey mousse this year. Obviously, I enjoy them and will repurchase. They give gel like results with a more expanded curl.

3. Lastly, I'm going to play around with how wet my hair should be. Design Essentials mousse gives me super big hair, but not as much definition. I looked like the female version of Trevor Noah 2021. It feels like nothing is in my hair. I can easily run my fingers from root to ends without a single snag when my hair is fully dry. I've been using it on soaking wet hair. I'm going to bring it down a notch to wet hair and then maybe damp. I saw a video example on their website of a person using it on towel dried hair with the leave-in. So directions be d***d.

With the exception of Jello Shot, I will not be purchasing any other gels, custards, leave-ins or creams this year unless they claim to be quick drying. I now have plenty that do the job well enough, but require drier time.

DVAntDany

Did you get the Madison Reed from Ulta? I hope so.

If not and you still want to try it, I just checked the site and with referral you can get 15% off. I probably have the same thing with E-salon. I so rarely refer anyone to anything it never crossed my mind that I could share a discount code :nono:

Unfortunately, Ulta does not carry the custom color I get. But I'm good. I'm just glad to have found something I like. :yep: I am glad to know that they sell the shampoo and conditioner. I will be sticking to both of these as my staples.
Foolishly, I ordered directly from their site.

DVAntDany

I have a diffuser question, asking here since this is the only thread where people have mentioned using diffusers.

I've used the diffuser on my daughter’s hair a few times now, and each time it has come out a bit “crunchy.” Using the same products and technique does not come out crunchy when we air dry. I either use Giovanni Leave-in Conditioner or a homemade shea butter/aloe+ mix, plus a homemade oil mix and a little Eco Styler Argan Oil gel.

(Is it even a wash & go when it takes an hour to set the style? :lol: )
I too have been noticing that air drying, diffusing and hood drying yield different results. I think gels dry firmer with heat. I constantly find some products like mousse air dry with lots of shine but I get dull results with heat. You might have to play around to get rid with ratios of product and hair wetness to counteract the crunch. I'm currently working on this too.

Have you noticed that stylist are now calling it wash and set or hydrate and define?

DVAntDany

I really hated that zotos gel. I returned it the next day lol
Under heat it was just ok. Air dried it was really shiny and super defined. Besides taking over a day to dry, My only issue is that what was left on the skin was like glue. I had to peel it off. I had it in my hair for an entire week recently. It started to flake on day 7. My hair looked great, but my natural scalp buildup was challenging for an all purpose shampoo.

faithVA

Hey, you all. Good news. No cancer. Instead, I have tmj disorder. I'm told that a night guard, Motrin and meditation are suppose to stop throbbing headaches and the feeling like my ear drum and a cheese grater are engaging in coitus.

Yay! I get to keep my hair though. Feeling crappy has really put my hair goals in perspective. I need easy and efficient hair. That means easy to style and can air dry under 5 hours. This soft shiny curls with volume may have to be put on the back burner. I'm thinking of 3 last things to try before I take a break from my pursuit.

1. First, is trying air-dry stylers or liquid leave-ins under mousse. Typical leave-ins under mousse have given me the soft results I seek, but increased the dry time. When using heat to speed up the drying process, the shine is lost for some reason. Yes, the drying time of leave-in + mousse is much faster than gel only when using heat, but I prefer the shine of air drying. I already have a sample size of CurlSmith Weightless Air Dry Cream. I will put that to test this weekend.

2. The second option is upgrading my mousse/foam. This is scary because of the price to quantity valuation...let alone knowing if it will actually do anything for my hair. I'm talking about products like Aquage Sikening Foam, Joico Joiwhip Design Foam, and Ouai Air Dry Foam. Reminiscing about Pantene Silky Moisture Whip's application and texture has me wanting to try products geared toward a different targeted audience. Hear me out. For brands outside of the highly-textured (curly/coily) hair space, hard hold products are for loose waves/curls and creamy soft products are for tighter dry curls. The category of my beloved mousse falls under fine textured hair. Luckily, these more expensive brands often have travel sizes.

It may sound like I'm circling back to something I mentioned earlier, but Im on a different path. Earlier I was looking into "fine curly" hair stylers. I've tried several already. They either do nothing for my hair and leave me with a dull undefined frizz ball. Or they leave my curls super crunchy like I used a gel form of hard hold hair spray.

Im not giving up on my firmer mousses that are for tight curls. I've been through 2 bottles of Mousse Def and 3 of Mielle's Pom & Honey mousse this year. Obviously, I enjoy them and will repurchase. They give gel like results with a more expanded curl.

3. Lastly, I'm going to play around with how wet my hair should be. Design Essentials mousse gives me super big hair, but not as much definition. I looked like the female version of Trevor Noah 2021. It feels like nothing is in my hair. I can easily run my fingers from root to ends without a single snag when my hair is fully dry. I've been using it on soaking wet hair. I'm going to bring it down a notch to wet hair and then maybe damp. I saw a video example on their website of a person using it on towel dried hair with the leave-in. So directions be d***d.

With the exception of Jello Shot, I will not be purchasing any other gels, custards, leave-ins or creams this year unless they claim to be quick drying. I now have plenty that do the job well enough, but require drier time.

I'm so glad it is something easily remedied :yay: Definitely meditation and a guard should do you good. We don't always know that we are grinding. And releasing anxiety will be a double win.

toaster

Haven’t posted a hair picture in a while! This is a comparison from when I got my hair trimmed in June versus tonight. A bit of my hair is stuck in my pajamas, but I think you can still see growth!

We are moving next week, so I’ll probably put my hair in some twists next wash that will last until my hair dryer is delivered to our new apartment. 1C1AF445-6F3C-4E73-93A7-ED01D685416B.jpeg

toaster

I redownloaded the new wash your damn hair ebook.

It’s full of typos and formatting errors, but the content is pretty much the same.

The recommended products list doesn’t have anything on there that you wouldn’t expect either. Worth a download if you already paid for it, I guess.

GettingKinky

I redownloaded the new wash your damn hair ebook.

It’s full of typos and formatting errors, but the content is pretty much the same.

The recommended products list doesn’t have anything on there that you wouldn’t expect either. Worth a download if you already paid for it, I guess.
After all this time I would have expected them to make sure there weren’t any typos. Especially since they charge $50 for it.
I still have my product list from when I was in the digital salon, I have no intention of paying for the book.

faithVA

My stylist just closed up shop in VA so I am on the hunt for a new stylist. There is one very close to me but she is booked through January. In the meantime, I will stay in twist and in December, I will just do a blow out and trim my ends.

toaster

My stylist just closed up shop in VA so I am on the hunt for a new stylist. There is one very close to me but she is booked through January. In the meantime, I will stay in twist and in December, I will just do a blow out and trim my ends.
Oh wow! I’m glad you’re able to trim your hair yourself.

Did your stylist give any notice? Ugh. Finding someone new is always so difficult.

faithVA

Oh wow! I’m glad you’re able to trim your hair yourself.

Did your stylist give any notice? Ugh. Finding someone new is always so difficult.
No notice. She sent out a text today to say she was canceling all service immediately. She had a family emergency. She explained the details and I definitely understand family first. She was running a shop in VA and in NC which had to be taxing and time consuming.

Fortunately, I didn't have an appointment. But those that had October and December appointments in are in a spot.

I had already been looking around so I sent a request in to a local person who is really close to me. If she doesn't work out, I have 1 or 2 others to check out.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did a fresh wash n go today. The more I practice shingling, the better I'm getting at it. It takes so long to do my whole head but im pretty sure this is why my wash n goes have been lasting 7 days. I adore this wash and go.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I did a fresh wash n go today. The more I practice shingling, the better I'm getting at it. It takes so long to do my whole head but im pretty sure this is why my wash n goes have been lasting 7 days. I adore this wash and go.

I cant figure out how to post a picture though. If anyone could help me out?

How long does it take you to shingle?

You may need to resize the image before you can attach it.

toaster

I gave up and posted a link. LOL

It takes me an hour! I do really small sections since my curls are tiny. The time it takes is a small price to pay as it has been giving me consistent results as far as longevity is concerned.
This is how I feel about styling my hair. I don’t shingle, but I rake and smooth in small sections. I’d rather spend an hour and 45 minutes in the shower getting it right to know that my hair will look good for 7-10 days.