Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I just washed my hair for the first time after my cut on Sunday. This cut looks great on day 5 hair, but on day one hair it looks a little choppy. My hair is only 80% dry so I’ll reserve judgement until it’s fully dry, but I’m a little concerned.
Hopefully it looks better on dry hair or on day 2 hair. My hair seems to look better on day 2. You can see all kind of layers on day 1.

pear

I redownloaded the new wash your damn hair ebook.

It’s full of typos and formatting errors, but the content is pretty much the same.

The recommended products list doesn’t have anything on there that you wouldn’t expect either. Worth a download if you already paid for it, I guess.

Thank you sooooo much for this! I just finished up my 30-day See Some Curls digital salon membership and was thinking about buying the book but was hesitant because of the price and the fact that they weren’t offering any discounts to current or past digital salon members. I have never paid that much for an e-book!!!!!

I am regularly seeing one of their trained stylist and currently doing the Hydrabar digital salon so I will hopefully be ok without the book.

toaster

First shower in the new apartment and we do not have enough hot water to get through my hair wash routine!! I might have to consider styling out of the shower. We’ll see.

I have all the usual hair products except UFD (arrives on Tuesday) so I just used Jell-O shot on its own. I hate the feel of it because it doesn’t glide easily on the strands, but I think I got good definition and it will hopefully last a full week.

Lastly, I enjoyed the ease of wearing twists during the move, but I hated my twist out. I really prefer my natural curls. I love that!

faithVA

First shower in the new apartment and we do not have enough hot water to get through my hair wash routine!! I might have to consider styling out of the shower. We’ll see.

I have all the usual hair products except UFD (arrives on Tuesday) so I just used Jell-O shot on its own. I hate the feel of it because it doesn’t glide easily on the strands, but I think I got good definition and it will hopefully last a full week.

Lastly, I enjoyed the ease of wearing twists during the move, but I hated my twist out. I really prefer my natural curls. I love that!
Do you turn the water off and on when doing your routine? If not you can get a special shower head that has a pause. That will help.

I have one and it helps. I know it is an apartment but changing the shower head should still be doable. Just keep the old one and replace it when you move.

toaster

Do you turn the water off and on when doing your routine? If not you can get a special shower head that has a pause. That will help.

I have one and it helps. I know it is an apartment but changing the shower head should still be doable. Just keep the old one and replace it when you move.
Oh that’s a good idea! And I know I should turn the water off when I don’t need it. That would really help too.

faithVA

Oh that’s a good idea! And I know I should turn the water off when I don’t need it. That would really help too.
The shower head with the pause is nice because you don't have to try to get the temperature dialed in. If you get one, get one with good reviews. You really want a could pause so it doesn't just leak water while you are waiting. But it definitely makes a difference. I use mine every time and its a default for any shower head I buy now.

faithVA

The new stylist I am looking at opened her calendar up for new clients. She only had 1 day, a Sunday open in November. And she charges $100 per hour on a Sunday. I don't blame her for charging more on a Sunday, but since I don't know her I'm not willing to pay more for something that may not be worth it.

I'm considering going in December to see if I can just get my ends clipped and some touch up in some spots. But I'm also on the fence about waiting until 2022 to let my hair grow out another 1 inch or so.

I will play it by ear. If the December calendar opens up and there is a good slot, I will take it. If not, I will just wait until 2022 and then give myself a trim in December.

toaster

The new stylist I am looking at opened her calendar up for new clients. She only had 1 day, a Sunday open in November. And she charges $100 per hour on a Sunday. I don't blame her for charging more on a Sunday, but since I don't know her I'm not willing to pay more for something that may not be worth it.

I'm considering going in December to see if I can just get my ends clipped and some touch up in some spots. But I'm also on the fence about waiting until 2022 to let my hair grow out another 1 inch or so.

I will play it by ear. If the December calendar opens up and there is a good slot, I will take it. If not, I will just wait until 2022 and then give myself a trim in December.
I have to decide if I’m going to fly back to new York to see Abena in December. I think I will, because I really like how she cut my hair and I don’t want to find another stylist.

OhTall1

After a bazillion years of being natural, I think I possibly found some holy grails, though the weather here is about to change and probably make me a liar:
  • Pre-poo with straight aloe vera gel for at least 30 minutes
  • Camille Rose honey leave in plus their curl maker gel together is a winning combo
It seems like almost any shampoo, rinse out conditioner and deep conditioner under the heat cap for at least 30 minutes added to this gives me great results.

I've also discovered a new gel. I was at my parents' place last week and needed to refresh a fug WNG. My mom had this. I used it to refresh the front of my head and it performed quite well.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hey ladies! I haven't been here in a while because life got crazy and my hair took a backseat. It has been neglected more than a little bit, but I've recently gotten my act together.

Right now I'm getting my consistently good W&Gs by styling mostly dry hair with Nairobi mousse and Earthtones Max Curl gel. Wet styling is usually a miss for me and I tried to make it work anyway following my See Some Curls membership, but it just never worked out well for me. My hair needs to be more saturated with product, rather than water to get the best results. I also played around with the Doux mousse, but despite the good slip, it didn't make my hair feel as wet as Nairobi did. So I ended up having to use more product to get the same result as Nairobi.

Coarse curlies, I don't know what it is about xantham gum-based gels, but they work well for my thick strands. I get flexible, yet strong hold, shine, and silkiness when I use them. There is a higher risk that it'll flake compared to other gels, but with practice I've learned how best to apply it to avoid that. I'd definitely recommend a xanthan-based gel like Earthtones if your strands are coarse like mine.

DVAntDany

Everybody's update pics are looking so nice

@GettingKinky Love the Inspo
@toaster How has the move been? Seems like everybody is moving these days and putting in twists.
@faithVA Have you found some other contenders with good pricing yet?
@OhTall1 That's one of my fav. It does what all the rest of the heavy gels do, but dries fast and feels light weight once dry.
@Napp I'm hopping that you finally achieved the infamous 7 day WnG
@Nightingale I don't have coarse hair but I totally get certain ingredients giving extra oomph to the hair. I'm still trying to pin point mine.

faithVA

Everybody's update pics are looking so nice

@GettingKinky Love the Inspo
@toaster How has the move been? Seems like everybody is moving these days and putting in twists.
@faithVA Have you found some other contenders with good pricing yet?
@OhTall1 That's one of my fav. It does what all the rest of the heavy gels do, but dries fast and feels light weight once dry.
@Napp I'm hopping that you finally achieved the infamous 7 day WnG
@Nightingale I don't have coarse hair but I totally get certain ingredients giving extra oomph to the hair. I'm still trying to pin point mine.
I'm just looking at 1 person for now. Her prices are higher but I don't have to drive far so that's better. I don't plan to go until 2022.

DVAntDany

I think I've made some progress with my search for touchable soft and shiny voluminous curls. Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in plus jelly combo has made the number 1 spot... so far. I get definition, softness, volume and a natural sheen. This is one of the few products that lets my natural soft black/darkest ash brown hair color shine through while having definition and some gloss. Most deep definition products make my hair look unnaturally shiny dark black.

I apply it to soaking wet hair in the usual smooth and rake method. It has weight/heaviness when wet, but dries very lightweight and airy feeling. It gives absolutely no cast. Im working on what to do to amp up the shine just a bit. I have noticed that the more leave-in I use, the silkier my hair looks and feels.

Im surprised and impressed by what I've tried by Curls so far. I already love the B N Control Curl Sculpting Gel. The Blueberry Bliss combo is even better in my opinion.

toaster

@DVAntDany the move has been good! My hair is hard as a ROCK with a Jell-O shot only wash and go. Can’t wait to wash this weekend use UFD underneath.

I ordered a new couch that was supposed to be in stock and delivered within a week. We’re going on week 3 and no sign of it. I keep calling and they keep acting like im crazy. As soon as it is delivered I’ll be calling back for a partial refund.

DVAntDany

@DVAntDany the move has been good! My hair is hard as a ROCK with a Jell-O shot only wash and go. Can’t wait to wash this weekend use UFD underneath.

I ordered a new couch that was supposed to be in stock and delivered within a week. We’re going on week 3 and no sign of it. I keep calling and they keep acting like im crazy. As soon as it is delivered I’ll be calling back for a partial refund.
Oh man, it seems like it's that time of year where everything is taking for ever to come in the mail. I wouldn't imagine your couch should be apart of all that but it looks like it is.

I bet your hair is beautiful and indestructible. Is the hold harder than old school hair spritz?

DVAntDany

This has been my hair since I have been using the Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in and jelly. I don’t have to fight to get volume, compromise on definition or have my hair feel like plastic. I finally found a product combo that give me a shape in the front of my hair that I can live with.

No more stretching or picking. I just shake and go. I’m also a stomach sleeper who can do no more than use a satin pillowcase for nighttime maintenance.

Below is what I look like right after shaking my head when getting up in the morning Oh, it’s squished to my head when I rise from my pillow but I don’t have to do much at all.

6EC0A844-6DC7-479C-AB38-5785BA427752.jpeg