Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

sunshinebeautiful

Had my New Curlfriend Experience with my new stylist and it is a win. First, she is less than 20 minutes from me. :woot:

She has great communication skills. I mentioned the email last month answering my questions. And this morning she sent me a text before I left home telling me she was running late. I love the courtesy.

We had our initial conversation and we went through all of the history, questions, problems, etc. I explained to her that I need my hair to fit my lifestyle and my first priority is not perfect hair. I need to ride my bike and be able to come home and put it in a puff and call it a day. And I really felt she understood what I was saying. I could tell that she developed a strategy around that versus trying to do a specific shape. I told her since it is just going to turn into a fro anyway lets just make it a fro from day 1. Let's not even bother trying to do parts or bangs or whatever because they are non-existent by day 2.

We finished our conversation and she brought out the scissors :shocked: What are those for? :lol: She said, well if you want a fro and you want your hair to look wearable by day 3 and you are the one to style it, then I need to start shaping it now based on how you have styled it. :look: It made sense. I just wasn't ready for the scissors.

I was facing the mirror and what she was cutting made sense and it wasn't a lot.

She does all curl types so lots of different products but she has UFD, Innersense, The Doux, AG and some other stuff. She has all the Innersense stuff. I need to see if she can stock up on some Trepadora stuff when it becomes available. Anyway!

At the bowl, I got a clarifying cleanse with Undo The Goo or something like that. She did a hard water cleanse with something else. She used Innersense Color Radiance shampoo and conditioner. She was super gentle so I asked that she give me one of those black mama washes. Put some pressure in there :lol: She used the Innersense conditioner. Then I got a steam mist treatment with so tea tree oil which was very nice.

She used UFD and ICH. We talked about the amounts but she isn't exact. I'm sure I use more than she does because salons like that fluffy look versus the super defined. But she didn't have any issues with what I was using. I'm going to stick with my 4 pumps of UFD.

She showed me the amount of water she used and she did it after the ICH. Just enough to smooth the product through the hair. She did a lot of smoothing from shampoo through styling. And she used the Felicia Leatherwood brush with the conditioner in. She put a little The Doux on the front of my hair.

She had me shake left/right & front/back and then she pinned up the front because it falls. I probably sat under the dryer 35 minutes. It was short.

She took a blow dryer on cool and fluffed the hair because it was a bit flat looking. Then she took a towel and flattened my hair down until it looked like it does when I wake up in the morning :perplexed: I didn't even know you could do that. Then she used the blow dryer again and fluffed it out and it looked so much better. Then I fluffed it a bit like I would do in the morning.

Then we discussed the shape. I wanted to keep the fro rounded with soft sides and no harsh tapering. She gave me some options and then she snipped and shaped.

The appointment was a little bit over 3 hours. And I'm satisfied with the service and the styling. I made my next appointment for March. I will just get a hydrate and a style because I miss the pampering of a salon. At that appointment we will determine when I need another cut.

This is my day 3 hair before the visit.
View attachment 478457

This is after my visit. Not sure why the selfie camera shot looks different from the other camera shot :ohwell:

View attachment 478459View attachment 478461

Your hair looks REALLY good. She did a fantastic job! So glad it was a good experience for you.

faithVA

Oooh @faithVA I can tell you’re feeling your hair because you didn’t cover your face with your phone!!!

It looks amazing! And it sounds like you two had a real connection. She wasn’t trying to give you a particular cut, she wanted the cut to be particular to you.

This is going to grow out so well, too! I’m so happy
Thank you Toaster.

You are so funny. I don't cover my face because of my hair. I cover my face because Lawd sometimes I look so old and my eyes look so tired, I can't stand it.
And I also think the selfie pic shows a better pic of my hair than the other one. I don't know why they look different to me but they do.

But I do like my hair and even more SO likes it. His face just lit up when he saw it.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA I’m really liking that cut. Having the lift in the front is very becoming of you. Something about the color and shape made me think of that Diane De Costa book cover.
Thank You. I do prefer to wear my hair off my face. I feel like I look younger when my hair is pulled back in a puff or bun.

I had to go look her up. I wasn't familiar. But yeah, I wouldn't mind having big hair like that. My flat twist out would look something like that but it may be a while to get my curly hair that big. https://www.simpleebeautiful.com/diane-da-costa

faithVA

I noticed that my set isn’t as good as usual this week and I put more effort into smoothing.
I never thought smoothing could increase my frizz, but maybe you’re on to something.

Luckily have an appointment to dye my grays today so I have to redo my hair and I don’t have to live with this frizzy set for the rest of the week.

Watching her smooth today, there really is a technique to smoothing which keeps the hair smooth and doesn't bother the gel that is already on the hair. Maybe it is smoothing with the flat of the hand. But it is easier when they do it because they are using both hands, smoothing with the flat of the hand on one hand and then doing something with the thumb on the other. I'm going to have to watch her multiple time to see if I can get it.

But she smoothed a lot and it didn't impact the gel application at all. :perplexed:

faithVA

There’s a salon here in Chicago and the owner did a cut it kinky course pre-pandemic. She offers a twice monthly wash and go “membership.”

Im going to keep this in my mind. Only having to do my own hair twice a month would be nice.
The way your wash and goes last, you can not do your hair at all. The day before your visit, condition, detangle and show up.

ckisland

Soooo. . .my hair is heat damaged all over :cry3: . All for a couple length pics. My hair didn't even stay straight for an hour. It's completely crazy. I'm so annoyed. It wasn't worth it all. So much of my curl pattern is gone when wet. The only saving grace is that the damage isn't really noticeable when I add styling product.

faithVA

Soooo. . .my hair is heat damaged all over :cry3: . All for a couple length pics. My hair didn't even stay straight for an hour. It's completely crazy. I'm so annoyed. It wasn't worth it all. So much of my curl pattern is gone when wet. The only saving grace is that the damage isn't really noticeable when I add styling product.
Maybe it is only temporary. Have you tried hard protein treatments? I know that is what ladies have done in the past. They just did a hard protein treatment and then week after week of deep conditioning. Sometimes it helped.

I'm sorry this happened. I do hope it bounces back. You had such good growth and retention in 2021.

sunshinebeautiful

OH NO! I hope your curl pattern bounces back. Did you straighten it yourself or was it professionally done?

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Camille Rose Curl Maker + ICH got me sitting here with the Pikachu face
View attachment 478455
LOVE!
It looked so perfect wet- but after sitting under the dryer it still came out frizzier than I would have liked. I really think it's because I did a lot of raking, instead of smoothing. I almost want to wash my hair and do it all over again :look: but I'll give it a few days.

My hair has really grown so much, but honestly I'm just not feeling the shape :confused:
I keep going back and forth about booking this curly cut but I think it's time!
Do it!! I resisted getting a curly cut for a long time because the stylist is over an hour away, but I LOVE my curly cut and I wish I hadn’t wasted so much time before I got it.
Make sure you have a goal picture and a picture of something at your current length.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What happened? Was a heat protestant used? I would recommend trying to get an olaplex treatment step 1 and 2. That reversed my heat damage greatly.

faithVA

@faithVA i feel the same way as you about having my hair off my face. I definitely look younger which is why I like puffs and buns. I should look for an out style that is off my face.

Also if I smooth my hair today I will focus on trying not to remove too much gel. I’m going to ask my stylist about it when I see her in Feb.
I think you look great and you look young to me. I'm not sure if I remember a pic of you with your hair off your face.

Definitely ask you stylist about the smoothing. It is definitely a technique with the thumb and flat of the hand but I can't make sense of it. I will try to find a yt video. She told me I should be smoothing from the shampoo step, which I heard another stylist say. I may need longer hair for that, so I don't have to keep both arms up in the air the whole time :lol:

ckisland

Maybe it is only temporary. Have you tried hard protein treatments? I know that is what ladies have done in the past. They just did a hard protein treatment and then week after week of deep conditioning. Sometimes it helped.

I'm sorry this happened. I do hope it bounces back. You had such good growth and retention in 2021.
I haven't tried a hard protein treatment. I've never done one before because I've heard the some horror stories of it going wrong. I'll look into it though. I don't think that it's going to effect my retention (thank goodness). My hair's not shedding more or falling out or breaking off. I've done 2 or 3 washes so far and it just looks wrecked :cry3:

ckisland

OH NO! I hope your curl pattern bounces back. Did you straighten it yourself or was it professionally done?
What happened? Was a heat protestant used? I would recommend trying to get an olaplex treatment step 1 and 2. That reversed my heat damage greatly.
I straightened it myself and used a spray heat protectant. I straightened on 430, which is the lowest I've ever used on my hair. Usually I do 450. I had never used the flatiron I borrowed before, and it must've been super hot.
I'll look into olaplex. Thanks for the suggestion @Napp !

faithVA

I haven't tried a hard protein treatment. I've never done one before because I've heard the some horror stories of it going wrong. I'll look into it though. I don't think that it's going to effect my retention (thank goodness). My hair's not shedding more or falling out or breaking off. I've done 2 or 3 washes so far and it just looks wrecked :cry3:
When I had my hair analysis, she told me heat can damage the protein in our hair which is what heat damage is. She advised I do a keratin protein treatment every 4 to 6 weeks to keep the hair strong. If the protein is broken down it needs to be fortified.

If you follow the directions on the packaging for the protein treatment and follow it up with a good deep conditioner, you will be fine. Most horror stories come from people following some strangeness of yt or making up stuff.

I've had heat damage twice so unfortunately, I have experience to share :sad: Now, I flat iron my own hair at 300 because that is all she needs. :yep:

DVAntDany

It’s a week before my haircut/trim appointment and I’m not sure I want to go anymore. I know it’s smart to have a consistent trim schedule, but I strongly dislike this style on me. I don’t want to cut away undamaged ends to maintain a style I do not like and pay $200 for it.

Am I going through an awkward phase like I experienced with locs? Is there hope that in time it will pass and I’ll have hair that I like the look of? Is this cutting method even conducive to growing hair long? I know many of the women like their hair short and are happy with their cuts, but I am not.

I know I should discuss this with my stylist but she does have a little of that BGC’s attitude. To top it off, last time I was put on a FB live without my knowledge. I took off my glasses and then she started it. I didn’t know she was even recording until she asked me to hold her phone because it fell of the tripod. She wasn’t talking to anyone but me. So then I assumed she was just recording the session because she had mentioned on IG she would start doing that for her clients to have. Turns out it wasn’t for that. She also was pretty adamant about not wanting me to change my part.

I’m just playing the game to get the job done by someone who is competent. If you ever went into the society, you’ll see several of those same folks pretending to follow the BGC doctrines are actually breaking all the rules in the YT comments. So I’m not the only one among the community who keeps quiet.

What would you all do? The whole reason for going to a CIK stylist was so I could look stylish while I grew out my hair. I don’t feel like I’m achieving that. Quite frankly, I don’t think any cut besides a fade would look stylish at this length. I already know a fade will set me back on achieving any of my hair goals.

GettingKinky

Have you seen the K18 treatment? It’s supposed to be able to actually repair damage to the hair. You may want to check it out.

oneastrocurlie

It’s a week before my haircut/trim appointment and I’m not sure I want to go anymore. I know it’s smart to have a consistent trim schedule, but I strongly dislike this style on me. I don’t want to cut away undamaged ends to maintain a style I do not like and pay $200 for it.

Am I going through an awkward phase like I experienced with locs? Is there hope that in time it will pass and I’ll have hair that I like the look of? Is this cutting method even conducive to growing hair long? I know many of the women like their hair short and are happy with their cuts, but I am not.

I know I should discuss this with my stylist but she does have a little of that BGC’s attitude. To top it off, last time I was put on a FB live without my knowledge. I took off my glasses and then she started it. I didn’t know she was even recording until she asked me to hold her phone because it fell of the tripod. She wasn’t talking to anyone but me. So then I assumed she was just recording the session because she had mentioned on IG she would start doing that for her clients to have. Turns out it wasn’t for that. She also was pretty adamant about not wanting me to change my part.

I’m just playing the game to get the job done by someone who is competent. If you ever went into the society, you’ll see several of those same folks pretending to follow the BGC doctrines are actually breaking all the rules in the YT comments. So I’m not the only one among the community who keeps quiet.

What would you all do? The whole reason for going to a CIK stylist was so I could look stylish while I grew out my hair. I don’t feel like I’m achieving that. Quite frankly, I don’t think any cut besides a fade would look stylish at this length. I already know a fade will set me back on achieving any of my hair goals.

I was just about to say discuss with your stylist but then I saw the second part of your sentence. I've seen other people say CIK stylist focus on shape vs length and I don't 100% agree with that method.

Once me and my stylist do our usual "hey how ya doings" she asks me if I'm happy with my hair, if I'm liking the shape, anything I want to change. I've been seeing her for years and still ask every single time. When I first started going to her I told her I wanted to let me hair grow. So for years my response to her questions were I still growing it out. Not until I told her I wasn't feeling the shape lately did she change up her cutting. Now I'm sure she could tell my top was getting way longer than my nape and I'm sure she was not surprised when I finally said let fix the shape but she let me come to that decision.

I'd have convo with her and if she's not gonna follow your wishes, find another stylist if you can.

Also $200 for a maintenance cut seems expensive.

GettingKinky

@DVAntDany I wouldn’t keep seeing a stylist if I didn’t think she was listening to me.
I think it’s good to get consistent trims, but you shouldn’t have to keep a shape you don’t like. And if she doesn’t respect that you want to grow you hair out I don’t think she’s the stylist for you. can you show her the progress/growth pictures of some of Aisha’s clients and see how she responds?
I completely agree that the DS/SSC is a cult. I even said so when I was a DS member. They are so close minded about some things, like wanting long hair.

I see that lately BGC has taken the cult label as a badge of honor.

DVAntDany

I was just about to say discuss with your stylist but then I saw the second part of your sentence. I've seen other people say CIK stylist focus on shape vs length and I don't 100% agree with that method.

Once me and my stylist do our usual "hey how ya doings" she asks me if I'm happy with my hair, if I'm liking the shape, anything I want to change. I've been seeing her for years and still ask every single time. When I first started going to her I told her I wanted to let me hair grow. So for years my response to her questions were I still growing it out. Not until I told her I wasn't feeling the shape lately did she change up her cutting. Now I'm sure she could tell my top was getting way longer than my nape and I'm sure she was not surprised when I finally said let fix the shape but she let me come to that decision.

I'd have convo with her and if she's not gonna follow your wishes, find another stylist if you can.

Also $200 for a maintenance cut seems expensive.
I guess I’ll go through with the appointment and see what happens. The reason it is so expensive is because I’ll be at 16 weeks post trim when I go in (costs more) and have not been “approved” to get only a cut without style.

I’ll go ahead and prepare myself to potentially be blackballed if I choose any of the closer CIK stylist’s and start investigating ones outside of CIK. I say this because my stylist’s assistant had initially told me that they no longer did weekends even when I pled my case.
A few weeks later I contacted the nearest CIK stylist and mentioned to her what the issue was in a very polite manner. In less than a week, my stylist’s assistant sent an email stating they could do weekends only for out of area clients. The other CIK stylist never responded back to me.

Also, the other CIK stylist is my stylist’s friend and they were doing something they called New Curl Order on IG together. Both of them are around the 2 hour to 2.5 hour drive from me. Everyone else is 4+ hours.