Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

I got 5 day hair from my last set. My products are good but my technique still sucks. I either have too much water and my hair frizzes or I don't have enough water and my hair packs down too much. The Trepadora email gave some good tips about beating the frizz when doing the hair in small sections. I will have to find my wetbrush and give it a try.

I did my hair before work this morning. It is super frizzy already. Let's see if it holds for 4 days.

GettingKinky

OMG!! The curly stylist that works 10 minutes from me is starting to take clients again. I’ve been wanting to go to her since May 2020. If she’s good no more driving an hour plus each way for a haircut. Yay!!!

the funny thing is that this mornnng I was thinking about sending her a DM on IG and today she posted saying she is going to start seeing clients again. And just in time I need a trim and I haven’t been able to get a June or July appointment with the stylist I’ve been seeing.

faithVA

OMG!! The curly stylist that works 10 minutes from me is starting to take clients again. I’ve been wanting to go to her since May 2020. If she’s good no more driving an hour plus each way for a haircut. Yay!!!

the funny thing is that this mornnng I was thinking about sending her a DM on IG and today she posted saying she is going to start seeing clients again. And just in time I need a trim and I haven’t been able to get a June or July appointment with the stylist I’ve been seeing.
Fabulous. I hope you like her.

GettingKinky

Wow she really wanted to narrow her clientele.
So my choice is drive 2.5 hours round trip and pay $175 for a haircut or drive 20 minutes round trip and pay $350 for a cut + styling that I doubt will last a week since she doesn’t seem to use hard hold gels and prefers mousse.
I know the far away stylists does amazing cuts, but now that I have the shape I want, I really just need the ends trimmed every 4 months or so.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet, and let my old non-curly stylist blow dry and trim my hair.

I think I’m going to try the close stylist and see if she has plans to offer just a cut in the future.

It just doesn’t seem right that a curly cut should cost so much.

faithVA

So my choice is drive 2.5 hours round trip and pay $175 for a haircut or drive 20 minutes round trip and pay $350 for a cut + styling that I doubt will last a week since she doesn’t seem to use hard hold gels and prefers mousse.
I know the far away stylists does amazing cuts, but now that I have the shape I want, I really just need the ends trimmed every 4 months or so.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet, and let my old non-curly stylist blow dry and trim my hair.

I think I’m going to try the close stylist and see if she has plans to offer just a cut in the future.

It just doesn’t seem right that a curly cut should cost so much.
Yeah that price is offputting. I pay 140 for a wash, set and cut which includes the tip, so 350 is a lot. I'm all for being paid fairly but 350 for an hour of work sounds too high for me.

I wish I had a magic wand. I hope you can find a solution that really works for you.

GettingKinky

Yeah that price is offputting. I pay 140 for a wash, set and cut which includes the tip, so 350 is a lot. I'm all for being paid fairly but 350 for an hour of work sounds too high for me.

I wish I had a magic wand. I hope you can find a solution that really works for you.
$140 for everything? That’s a great price!
On her website it says the appointment will take 2.5-3 hours. But I have no desire to be there that long. I just want a haircut. :-(
These stylist seem to thing that everyone needs education, but the education has been out there for awhile now and they should be prepared to handle people who just need a simple service.

faithVA

On her website it says the appointment will take 2.5-3 hours. But I have no desire to be there that long. I just want a haircut. :-(
These stylist seem to thing that everyone needs education, but the education has been out there for awhile now and they should be prepared to handle people who just need a simple service.
Yes that's for everything.

sunshinebeautiful

This part. I found a stylist that specializes in WNG styling/curly cuts that's 2 hours away as opposed to 5 hours away (my old salon before I moved across state). I have an appointment with her this Saturday. She's charging $250 as a new client (more than I was paying before), which includes the education that I really don't need lol.

I thought about making a trip back to the old salon, but it's not worth it, especially when you factor in the additional time and gas prices, to travel down there. So I'm taking a chance on this new person. I'm kinda nervous but I hope everything goes well.

GettingKinky

This part. I found a stylist that specializes in WNG styling/curly cuts that's 2 hours away as opposed to 5 hours away (my old salon before I moved across state). I have an appointment with her this Saturday. She's charging $250 as a new client (more than I was paying before), which includes the education that I really don't need lol.

I thought about making a trip back to the old salon, but it's not worth it, especially when you factor in the additional time and gas prices, to travel down there. So I'm taking a chance on this new person. I'm kinda nervous but I hope everything goes well.
I’m nervous about switching stylists too. Especially since the new one is so expensive. But I’m really tired of the drive so I’m just going to see how this first appointment goes.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Couldn’t find an Ulta that had Innersense that was close so I went to Target and picked up

Aussie Coils shampoo and conditioner and the Doux Big Poppa gel. I was in the pool last night But it was salt water.

The Aussie Coils duo isn’t that bad at all. It’s humid as heck down here and the hand dryer wasn’t doing it for me so I’m walking around with a towel around my neck until it’s damp. All in all It ain bad.

toaster

@GettingKinky the price she’s quoting wouldn’t be horrible IF your hair lasted 1 week+ after getting it done AND you only went maybe twice a year.

But trying to get a trim every 3/4 months? Heck no. These stylists really want us back in their chokehold like we were when we went every 2 weeks for a wash and set.

Hopefully if you have one appointment you can talk to her about just getting a cut/shape on a regular basis for less money.

DVAntDany

Hey, All! It's been a while. :wave: Will probably catch up on the various threads over the next couple days. Life has been busy and my hair hasn't been a priority. I hope all has been going well for you gals.

Here is my update. The spironolactone kicked in at full force. No more dandruff. Yay, me!

Also, my hair hates waiting 5+ days to be washed. The tangling and shed hair is ridiculous. I've been on a once a week to every 2 weeks hair washing schedule and its been bad.

I've burnt out on doing my hair. I can't wake up early enough to do it for it to dry when using gel. Mousse dries quickly but only looks good on day one. I've run out of mousse. I've now been trying to use up my hoard of hair products before buying anything else.

The last hair product I purchased was the Curls Sea Moss Slime/Shine Jelly when it first came out. It went on nicely and that is about it. It flaked when not enough water was used. It only lasted one day. The next day looked awful. I mean super awful. I tried it 3 times and threw away what was left.

I recently busted out my Pattern Beauty Curl Gel again. It stays white until it fully dries. I look crazy most of the day even when spending some time under a hooded dryer. I have a hard time determining just the right amount. The final results look nice and it still leaves my hair super soft.

I have a love-hate relationship with this brand. I think Pattern Beauty is releasing a mousse today. I've be waiting for this after seeing the potential in the Curl Gel. I want to try it after I finish a bottle or two in my stash.

In addition, I'm finally giving up on being fully natural. I'm probably going to give hair botox a try. I spoke with Prismax, Nutree and Softliss the other day. Prismax is in the top running so far. It seems whether I do the straight or curly method, my hair texture shouldn't be changed drastically.

I have no idea if doing Nutree as a mask will make much of a difference. I also don't want to go through the full process by blow-drying shampooed hair with no product. That sound like a nightmare.

Softliss is releasing Supreme Curly Gel next week. The representative told me it should loosen the curls some, but everything else they offer will straighten hair. He sent me a video of the product. It looks like a regular hair gel. I hope not. I can't wait to see the product description when its finally on the website.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This here hair dry as toast. Imma wash it again tomorrow. Lawd. I might have to drive a little further for Ulta Beauty.

@faithVA you hair had come a long way. We are always our biggest critics.
Actually it’s not dry. Hair soft as can be. It was when I was directly in the sun it was feeling hard. I’m wash again in the morning. Can’t wait to get home. I miss my rolling dryer.

GettingKinky

It’s good to hear from you @DVAntDany

I didn’t wash my hair yeastiest because I have a hair appointment on Tuesday and she wants her clients to show up with hair that has been washed in the last 2 days.

such a waste to wash my hair and then have her wash it again 2 days later. I hope she and I can come to some agreement that I don’t need to be treated like someone who doesn’t understand her hair.

faithVA

This here hair dry as toast. Imma wash it again tomorrow. Lawd. I might have to drive a little further for Ulta Beauty.

@faithVA you hair had come a long way. We are always our biggest critics.
Thanks. My hair requires more maintenance than I want and I can't pull it up when needed so that's what I'm wishing for. But you are right, it has come a long way.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Do you know I never pull my hair up?:oops:
@faithVA

Only thing I do is a low ponytail and its not anything fancy. I wear a hat at work so it’a always liable to look smushed at any given time. If I worked at my old corporate job id be able to have a nice ponytail puff but with my hat it’s never an option.

I’m rambling but I started to think when you said about pulling it up. I’d like to be able to flattwist.