Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This last set was interesting. There is barely any hold but my hair is soft so im not really bothered by it. What i am bothered by is the fact that I have all these uncle funky daughters curly magic that suck!!!!!!

Im so turned off from this new bottle I opened.. i guess i should open the other two to see if they are similar.

oneastrocurlie

KCKT and KCCC. I love a fast wash and go. I've found my key with this combo is not being stingy with the leave in, resaturating the section (and I did fairly big sections) with water and the less raking, more smoothing is better.

Ignore the runaway curl in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_132857_copy_1445x1283.jpg
    IMG_20220718_132857_copy_1445x1283.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 58

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I smoothed it into a bun yesterday with my hands and then today just shook out the front.
I’ll be washing this evening. My hair is moisturized though and I don’t re-moisturize until next wash day. I may have to revisit the last combo with something on top for hold.

Attachments

• D8E26EFB-F637-458E-8539-AEDDF169DE2C.jpeg
    D8E26EFB-F637-458E-8539-AEDDF169DE2C.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 49

GGsKin

After a couple of months wearing my hair straight, and cutting out splits, I decided to wear a wng. Last night, I washed my hair and after a final rinse with clove water, I used K18 and diluted KCCC. I diffused for an hour on med heat. It's the first time using my new batch, and the consistency/texture and scent of this gel has changed. It no longer has that snotty feel, and so the diluted mix was far more runny, but it still seems to perform the same.

Attachments

• 2022-07-24_11.58.48.jpg
    2022-07-24_11.58.48.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 49

GGsKin

@GGsKin your curls look great! For years now I’ve been afraid to straighten my hair, but now that K18 exists maybe it’s not as risky to try.
Thanks! @GettingKinky. I've also been using Olaplex for a couple of years, so I feel like I'm giving my hair extra 'sustenance' by adding K18. Also, for the amount of splits I had I'm convinced they are the main reasons why my hair wasn't just snapping off my head.

As long as you use heat wisely, you should be fine. This is coming from someone who uses a pressing comb lol.

LavenderMint

My appointment went so well. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was more sure of (and vocal about) what I wanted/didn’t want, what works & what doesn’t for my lifestyle, have been taking care of my hair better and was willing to forego length over shape & health. Since following the A’s and talking with you all here, I’ve learned a lot more about how to take care of my hair.

My appointment was with the salon owner. She was so gentle but thorough, asked questions and she talked me through everything she was doing and why. (Not really related, but she’s the only stylist I’ve ever met that didn’t side-eye my reasons for choosing to quit relying on two-strand twists.) The styling step was very interesting and she gave me so much information that I can’t wait to use! I found myself repeating it back like I was studying for the SATs but she very patiently told me again before I left so I could jot it down & when we were discussing my next appointment.

I couldn’t get a good photo & I was tired. It’s been 4 days; all I’ve done is super large bonnet at night and shake in the morning. I still have root to tip definition on the vast majority of my head and the shrinkage has actually been even and cute!!

I’m glad I took the chance & went back to this salon!

oneastrocurlie

My appointment went so well. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was more sure of (and vocal about) what I wanted/didn’t want, what works & what doesn’t for my lifestyle, have been taking care of my hair better and was willing to forego length over shape & health. Since following the A’s and talking with you all here, I’ve learned a lot more about how to take care of my hair.

My appointment was with the salon owner. She was so gentle but thorough, asked questions and she talked me through everything she was doing and why. (Not really related, but she’s the only stylist I’ve ever met that didn’t side-eye my reasons for choosing to quit relying on two-strand twists.) The styling step was very interesting and she gave me so much information that I can’t wait to use! I found myself repeating it back like I was studying for the SATs but she very patiently told me again before I left so I could jot it down & when we were discussing my next appointment.

I couldn’t get a good photo & I was tired. It’s been 4 days; all I’ve done is super large bonnet at night and shake in the morning. I still have root to tip definition on the vast majority of my head and the shrinkage has actually been even and cute!!

I’m glad I took the chance & went back to this salon!

Glad you had a great appointment!

GettingKinky

@LavenderMint I’m glad it went well. I need to be laser focused for my next appointment on what I want. It’s just that I always end up talking about things I don’t quite love about my hair and then the stylist will suggest something and then I end up with something I don’t like. I should just stick to growing it out.

oneastrocurlie

I saw that Lou mixed Ouidad climate control gel and mousse. Gave it a try and nope. I already pitched the travel size I had of the original so I used the strong hold this time. It's also going to the bin.

My stylist is doing a revamp this fall aka price increases are coming. Womp Womp. My back up stylist who I went to for silk presses did one earlier this month. Won't be seeing her ever again cause I don't like some of her new policies so it's just me and my OG lol.

I was thinking of getting some inches chopped off for my next appointment for a more rounded shape but I think I've talked myself out of it.

GettingKinky

I saw that Lou mixed Ouidad climate control gel and mousse. Gave it a try and nope. I already pitched the travel size I had of the original so I used the strong hold this time. It's also going to the bin.

My stylist is doing a revamp this fall aka price increases are coming. Womp Womp. My back up stylist who I went to for silk presses did one earlier this month. Won't be seeing her ever again cause I don't like some of her new policies so it's just me and my OG lol.

I was thinking of getting some inches chopped off for my next appointment for a more rounded shape but I think I've talked myself out of it.
What are her new policies?

oneastrocurlie

What are her new policies?

She charges extra fees for density (aka thick) and long hair. It's not clear what she consider thick and long. What if I think APL is long but she thinks SL is? And is this based on shrunken hair or stretched hair? She doesn't say.

You're new if you haven't been to her in 8 months. Timing is random. What's so magical about 8 months? New client appointments are $225. Alrighty but I legit would just want a silk press or a nice flat twists updo once a year since my original stylist doesn't do them. But I'm certainly not paying $225 for that.

For a hot second she had separated pricing based on hair type. I'll give you one guess which hair types had the higher pricing. She removed it but the fact she tried it didn't sit right with me.

I know these stylists trying to keep a cadence of customers always returning with these policies but even though I only went to her once a year I referred 3 friends to her (she was easier to get an appointment with vs my original stylist). Won't be doing so going forward.

I see why some naturals just blowing out their hair and going to supercuts because it's getting a little weird out here.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I stopped ten years ago when a salon charged me $110 for two strand twists and didn’t even know to detangle my hair wet.

I only go if I’m getting braids or a weave. Now I don’t even do that because every where ive went lately wants my hair bone straight.

@oneastrocurlie

I'm down to just going to my stylist for trims, cuts, and color. If I want anything else I'll just DIY. And I'm pretty wack with a flat iron lol so who knows when it'll ever be straight straight again.

My hair has been happiest getting regular trims and getting reshaping when I want. So I want to keep up with that. But I'm about to reconnect with YouTube and Pinterest for other styles.

GettingKinky

My stylist has prices for less than SL and longer than SL (stretched) and she doesn’t consider you “new” unless it’s been over a year. But her prices are sky high.
At least right now it’s not hard to get in with her, and she says she has plans to offer a dry cut only service soon so I think I’m going to stick with her and get trims every 4-6 months.

GGsKin

I did a henna treatment yesterday (henna, hibiscus and rose petal powder). After rinsing and DCing and rinsing, I followed with a wng using KCCC undiluted- getting familiar with this new formula, it's easier to use, but I miss the old marshmallowey, cake scent. While I could never smell it in my hair, other people could, and on application, this one smells more... hair-producty (sorry I can't be more descriptive lol).

Attachments

• 2022-08-01_10.15.10.jpg
    2022-08-01_10.15.10.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 33

DVAntDany

I’ve never considered that. I don’t think I could do a good job in the back. But I’m now considering trims on blown out hair.
Oh no, what happened at the new salon sounds awful. I'm glad you all are on the same page after your follow-up appointment.

I did the trim on humidity defeated flat ironed hair at Ulta back in late June. The stylist gently flat ironed over it because it was too puffy and I came in about 5 mins to closing. It cost a little over $30.

My hair looked great straightened. All of my single strand knots were removed. The curly cut in the past left them on there. She took off about 1/4 of an inch. However, I think there is a hole or two on one side. The back and side with the bulk of the side part look fine. It looks a heck of a lot better from the front though. So, I'm not sure you'll be happy with getting it done on straight hair.

See the holey side below.

hole in hair.jpg