Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

oneastrocurlie

Oh no, what happened at the new salon sounds awful. I'm glad you all are on the same page after your follow-up appointment.

I did the trim on humidity defeated flat ironed hair at Ulta back in late June. The stylist gently flat ironed over it because it was too puffy and I came in about 5 mins to closing. It cost a little over $30.

My hair looked great straightened. All of my single strand knots were removed. The curly cut in the past left them on there. She took off about 1/4 of an inch. However, I think there is a hole or two on one side. The back and side with the bulk of the side part look fine. It looks a heck of a lot better from the front though. So, I'm not sure you'll be happy with getting it done on straight hair.

See the holey side below.

View attachment 482027

I love how your hair hangs.

DVAntDany

I think my hair has settled on its texture for now. I have a good amount of hair that doesn't shine the same way as the ends except for the back silky strands. I think my strands feel finer at the roots than some of the silky ends. Flatness is also not an issue anymore. Those heavier ends could have been my problem sort of like transitioners having relaxed ends weighing down the curls. I've had much bigger hair ever since my last trim. This could also be due to length looking better.

Hopefully, this is finally my natural texture.
final.jpg

I've also figured out how to make mousse work again for my hair. I don't get shine anymore but I can live with that. I apply it just like UFD but to towel dried hair. I thoroughly coat my hair all over first. Then I go in to part and rake.

Mousse/Foam Techniques
mousse techniques.jpg
1. This is my newest technique. I towel dry my hair for a few minutes instead of dabbing off moisture. Then I fully saturate my hair and then rake through with fingers in sections. Technique 1 is humidity proof for most styling foam/mousse. No strand is left uncoated.
2. This is me applying the mousse in sections. Then I brush through with my felicia leatherwood brush and rake my hands afterwards.
3. This is just me applying in sections and raking with my hands.

See what a difference technique can do. I used Pattern Beauty's mousse each time.

DVAntDany

It’s breaking my hair off because I always part it that way. My hair lays like that and it’s small breakage in that crown part. I have to learn to switch it up @DVAntDany
That makes sense. Have you decided which side? The middle part is easier to do but doesn't look as nice on me.

@oneastrocurlie and @Bette Davis Eyes Thanks. I'm much happier with what my hair is doing lately.

GettingKinky

Oh no, what happened at the new salon sounds awful. I'm glad you all are on the same page after your follow-up appointment.

I did the trim on humidity defeated flat ironed hair at Ulta back in late June. The stylist gently flat ironed over it because it was too puffy and I came in about 5 mins to closing. It cost a little over $30.

My hair looked great straightened. All of my single strand knots were removed. The curly cut in the past left them on there. She took off about 1/4 of an inch. However, I think there is a hole or two on one side. The back and side with the bulk of the side part look fine. It looks a heck of a lot better from the front though. So, I'm not sure you'll be happy with getting it done on straight hair.

See the holey side below.

View attachment 482027
It’s good to hear from you again. Your curls look great!
I see what you’re referring to, but I don’t think a curly cut would address that without removing a lot of hair. Plus I don’t think most people would notice unless they were looking for it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Thanks. How is journey back to natural going?
Its going great. I stopped wash and going for a while because I don't like the way it looks rn. I'm hoping with length I can like the way I look with a wash and go. Plus I need to get my hand out of my hair so its bun/phony pony life for me. I might go back to headband wigs too in the winter. Well see. I don't miss wash and goes right now! I hate waiting for my hair to dry.

DVAntDany

It’s good to hear from you again. Your curls look great!
I see what you’re referring to, but I don’t think a curly cut would address that without removing a lot of hair. Plus I don’t think most people would notice unless they were looking for it.
It's good to be back and thanks.

I'm going to lay off the curly cuts until my hair gets significantly longer or starts looking really weird. Yep, they'd hack it all off. You are right. No one is pointing that out.

It's not from breakage. After a few days my hair in the back and sides shrink up and lift. Then it is not seen anymore.

DVAntDany

Its going great. I stopped wash and going for a while because I don't like the way it looks rn. I'm hoping with length I can like the way I look with a wash and go. Plus I need to get my hand out of my hair so its bun/phony pony life for me. I might go back to headband wigs too in the winter. Well see. I don't miss wash and goes right now! I hate waiting for my hair to dry.
I'm so happy that you are happy.

I'm trying to get my mom on board. She wants to go your route with the buns and phony ponies. Seen any good ones that are not too voluminous?

Girl, the drying time is always the worst. The air conditioning is freezing cold in the morning. So the hooded dryer is welcomed then and only then.

DVAntDany

You know while I'm under the dryer I'm actually OK. The minute my hair is dry it's almost like a reflex of me moving it out the way.
I haven't reached your length in the front to know about that life. You are probably right on it being in the way on the face while dry.

For now, its icky having to put on a face mask with wet hair sticking to the sides of my face and ears. I can only imagine my forehead. Now that I think about it, its only when I have to touch it that I even notice.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm so happy that you are happy.

I'm trying to get my mom on board. She wants to go your route with the buns and phony ponies. Seen any good ones that are not too voluminous?

Girl, the drying time is always the worst. The air conditioning is freezing cold in the morning. So the hooded dryer is welcomed then and only then.
1659487110835.jpeg
This is my current favorite pony. It’s just the right size and the texture mimics my hair. I love it!

DVAntDany

GettingKinky

I don’t think I really like my wash n go with a side part. The side with all the hair gets too big and falls forward too much and looks too heavy.
I really really don’t like center parts, so I’m going to play around with try to get a no part style. I’m going to try to get the crown area of my hair to mostly go towards the back of my head and leave a little hair for bangs. I’ve been wearing a side part most of my life and I’m not good at styling so this is going to take a concerted effort.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I don’t think I really like my wash n go with a side part. The side with all the hair gets too big and falls forward too much and looks too heavy.
I really really don’t like center parts, so I’m going to play around with try to get a no part style. I’m going to try to get the crown area of my hair to mostly go towards the back of my head and leave a little hair for bangs. I’ve been wearing a side part most of my life and I’m not good at styling so this is going to take a concerted effort.
I can’t picture this. Do you have a picture of what you want it to lay like @GettingKinky

DVAntDany

Are you talking about the hair like most of the models for Beleza Natural? Its styled like the flip over method sew in weave by Ivy on YoutTube. I'm having a hard time imagining you talking about anything else for the style you described.

Beleza Natural
https://blog.belezanatural.com.br/servicos/cortes/cabelos-medios/

https://blog.belezanatural.com.br/servicos/cortes/cabelos-longos/

Flip Over Method

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Something like this. She doesn’t have a part , but I think I would want less of my hair in my bangs and would direct some of that hair to the back View attachment 482123

or maybe something like this, but I don’t think I want my crown to be short like this.

View attachment 482125
I like the second picture more than the first. The first bangs seems to be too long but I like how it’s framing her face