Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Mielle has a new gel out from the Pomegranate and Honey line. It’s the Maximum Hold Gel Styler. I’ll probably be trying it out along with the Doux Bee Girl Custard.

I’ve been trying to give wash and go ponies a try. I’m not really liking mousse for that. The products I mentioned above are recommended for slick backs. What are you all doing and using when you want to wash and go but stick it in a ponytail?
Where did you find this out? I don’t see it promoted anywhere.

DVAntDany

I haven’t done a ponytail, but when I do a puff I style my hair with my normal gel combo and then slick my edges down with foam.
So are you prepping your hair with products and rake it through like a wash and go? Then afterwards put it up into a puff?

It feels like a whole production trying to do a wet ponytail right after cleansing and conditioning. Air drying a wash and go has been far easier to do.

GettingKinky

So are you prepping your hair with products and rake it through like a wash and go? Then afterwards put it up into a puff?

It feels like a whole production trying to do a wet ponytail right after cleansing and conditioning. Air drying a wash and go has been far easier to do.
Yep it do it exaclty like a wash n go and then put it in a puff. I don’t normally wear a puff until day 4 or so, but once in a blue moon I go directly to a puff

DVAntDany

Yep it do it exaclty like a wash n go and then put it in a puff.
Then that is what I need to start doing. I’ve tried Aishia’s method and it doesn’t seem to work that well for me. It could just be an issue with length.I wanted an easy no-brainer style that takes less time yet looks good. I’m going to have to practice on this.

I can’t wait until my hair gets longer. There are so many updos and cute styles I’ve been wanting to try for forever. I have a book called Strictly Curls that has simple styles for curly hair. I use to try them out when I wore curly weaves. I will be so happy when I can finally do those styles on my own hair.

GettingKinky

Then that is what I need to start doing. I’ve tried Aishia’s method and it doesn’t seem to work that well for me. It could just be an issue with length.I wanted an easy no-brainer style that takes less time yet looks good. I’m going to have to practice on this.

I can’t wait until my hair gets longer. There are so many updos and cute styles I’ve been wanting to try for forever. I have a book called Strictly Curls that has simple styles for curly hair. I use to try them out when I wore curly weaves. I will be so happy when I can finally do those styles on my own hair.
How does Aisha do it?

DVAntDany

How does Aisha do it?
Straight from the shower she saturates her hair in mousse. So mousse is applied to wet hair rather than damp hair. Next she smoothes and rakes as she applies the mousse in large sections. After coating the hair, she goes on to adding the ouidad gel in a similar manner without using as much.
At some point between all of this, she parted her hair and brushed down the front of the parted sections. Lastly, she sticks on a hair tie and quickly rakes through the ponytail. If time permits, she sits under a dryer.

Its a 5 mins or less routine. Its meant to last 2 to 3 days before you CCS again. The regimen would be to go to sleep in a looser pony if still wet or just let it completely loose. Then cover in nighttime hair gear such as a buff.

I don’t like walking around with dripping wet hair. Also, it hurts at the nape when putting my hair into a tight enough pony. Plus, my hair in the front wants to pop loose on the sides. I’ll need several of those metal snap hair clips.

Eh, I guess I could do high ponytails or sit under a dryer. These things cut into the style being quick. It basically boils down to my hair being too short for this, liking a sleeker ponytail and wanting comfort.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I’ve never tried them on their own. They keep going in and out of stock. So I’ve just used them as toppers. I can just say those stylers are made for humid and rainy weather.

So how did you apply them?

I applied CM first then applied the Papaya and topped it with the Bamboo.
It’s slightly sheeny and great curl definition @DVAntDany

Attachments

• 8E91E0AF-3B07-4DC5-85CC-ED37458AE106.jpeg
    8E91E0AF-3B07-4DC5-85CC-ED37458AE106.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did an impromptu wash and go today after going to the beach because I got sand in my hair. I used Camille Rose coconut water leave in and eco styler super olive gel. I didnt care for the end result because it shrank so much. plus I hated waiting for my hair to dry. I am going to wash it out and go back to the bun/phony ponies. I did take a picture before I messed with it. I will probably revisit wash and goes next spring/summer once i have a little more length and grow more of my botoxed ends out.

IMG_3594_2_50.jpg

oneastrocurlie

Aight. So definitely a 2-3 day tops situation with this mousse only. Already in a half up / half down look. Hair is a little drier than I'd like. Could be the mousse. I used design essentials almond and avocado. I also didn't leave as much water in my hair like a typically do. Something to keep in mind for next time. Would use my Camille Rose mousse instead.

I'm trying to burn through my current bottle of DE mousse though so I can try a new one lol. Eyeing that newer Doux one.

DVAntDany

I applied CM first then applied the Papaya and topped it with the Bamboo.
It’s slightly sheeny and great curl definition @DVAntDany
I have to try this combo. I still have some PS left. You know I'm a glistening definition fiend.

I have a whole bottle of Acai Berry that I've never touched. It took a millions to be delivered and then forgot about it. At BGC, they say the AB can't handle the summer humidity.

DVAntDany

Aight. So definitely a 2-3 day tops situation with this mousse only. Already in a half up / half down look. Hair is a little drier than I'd like. Could be the mousse. I used design essentials almond and avocado. I also didn't leave as much water in my hair like a typically do. Something to keep in mind for next time. Would use my Camille Rose mousse instead.

I'm trying to burn through my current bottle of DE mousse though so I can try a new one lol. Eyeing that newer Doux one.
I totally agree that they don't last long. Life would be much more simpler if they lasted. I also understand trying to use up these products. I don't particularly like the DE A&A mousse.

I see the stylists and the directions saying to use it on wet hair instead of damp. I had some pretty bad hair days in the past while using DE almond & avocado as directed. However, I also didn't style it the way I do now. So this recent time, I put it on damp hair and lightly topped with a gel. It worked out much better but still was expired by day 3. Funny, many of the stylists out there like and recommend the DE Compositions Foaming Wrap Lotion instead of the A&A one.

What intrigues you about the CrazySexyCurl Honey Setting mousse?

oneastrocurlie

I totally agree that they don't last long. Life would be much more simpler if they lasted. I also understand trying to use up these products. I don't particularly like the DE A&A mousse.

I see the stylists and the directions saying to use it on wet hair instead of damp. I had some pretty bad hair days in the past while using DE almond & avocado as directed. However, I also didn't style it the way I do now. So this recent time, I put it on damp hair and lightly topped with a gel. It worked out much better but still was expired by day 3. Funny, many of the stylists out there like and recommend the DE Compositions Foaming Wrap Lotion instead of the A&A one.

I really think that DE mousse is best paired or used for something else other than wash and gos. I use it to do my brother's two strand twists. He doesn't do anything but keep them in a ponytail for 2 weeks and his hair still feels nice when I go to rewash. I also just remembered I use a leave in when I do his hair so that further make me believe my "best paired" theory.

I'm intrigued by the honey with the Doux. Camille Rose Spiked Honey is probably my favorite mousse that I've tried and honey is pretty high in the ingredient list. The Doux's honey isn't as high but still curious. I also haven't purchased a new hair product since May and I've got the itch lol.

faithVA

Your hair growth is AMAZING. You cut your hair shorter than mine and now your hair is 3x as long. Your hair looks fabulous. Glad things are going so well.

faithVA

I'm not doing wash and goes but I have been following the conversations though.

For me BGC advice for mousse and shampoos have been on point. They probably run across a lot of women like me who have exceptionally dry hair and need to avoid things. They work with a lot of women who say they can't wear a wash and go and typically the cause is excess dryness. For hair like mine, mousse used too often causes dryness and over cleansing my hair is drying.

I use mousse only to slick my hair back in emergencies. I definitely don't use it more than 2x a month and I will use an all purpose shampoo, followed by a moisturizing shampoo.

I use an all-purpose or almost clarifying shampoo only for special times; mousse use, float therapy, using blow drying products or something like that. I probably do stick to the once a month as recommended.

I typically leave clarifying to my salon visits.

Using shampoos in this way is the only thing that has saved my hair and even enabled me to join in this thread.

faithVA

I haven't worn a wash and go since June. I did it a few times a week and it wore me out. Maybe when it gets longer, it won't be so time intensive.

My salon visit is at the end of September. I will do one wash and go before my visit just so I can see what is going on with my hair. It has grown since June but I don't know if I will see a significant difference in my wash and go. Will see.

ckisland

I did something different to my hair this wash day! I used a denman brush only on my ends. It didn't really do anything to my 4b section, but when it to the rest of my hair dried, I had all of these defined curls! Unfortunately, it makes my different curl patterns stand out a lot LOL!!! This is second day hair. I'm at work and I overheard two guests gushing over my hair!!

Cleanse: Harm Me Knot
DC: TGIN Deep Hydrating Hair Mask
Styler: Big Poppa

20220829_163311.jpg 20220829_164208.jpg