Wash Day - My Sons Waist Length Hair

spelmanlocks

I think boys can get away with long hair if done right, but waistlength is too long for a boy unless it's dreads. Most professional jobs are probably going to frown upon hair that long on a man also. I know my blasian male cousin had hair that was probably BSL that he wore in a low ponytail daily until a supervisor told him his career wasn't going to go anywhere until he cut it off and he did.

ckisland

Wow I totally forgot about this. Um, long hair is a rarity for all but Native guys. The general consensus amongst men is that short hair is expected, respectable and masculine. Long hair makes you feminine, a drug-head, or against the status quo one way or another. Unless you live in an area with a lot of Natives or that's hippie/ artsy central, there are only a handful of long-haired boys, and especially, men around.

HeavenlySkies

The kid looked miserable. I felt like this was all to keep mom happy, playing in his hair. There's no point in growing a boy's hair long. I knew right away she was a single mom :look: and I don't usually go along with stuff like that but no husband would allow that.

I agree lol It seems like she's a woman that wanted a daughter and got a son instead. To say he wants it that long by choice is laughable. He didn't smile once and he looks like a hostage being forced to have his hair done. Sure his hair is awesome but all of it seemed inappropriate for a little boy especially the flat ironing. Wow.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I really don't understand why some people have a problem because it seems his mom enjoys doing his hair. So what? He wants it long, she enjoys doing it. Why is that a problem? She isn't being obsessive. That's just what it takes to keep curly hair types healthy. Women on this forum should know that better than anyone. Seriously.

People simply don't like his long hair because he is a boy. What if I was to say I think TWA's look horrible on most women as well as short hair cuts .... Would I be a monster for saying that? It's essentially the same thing as what some are saying about boys/men with long hair.

With that being said, to each their own.

ITA sparkle25. We can't have it both ways. She's just showing her kid's wash day as any other mom with a kid on youtube does. :look: She didn't seem obsessive...no more obsessive than we all are about our or our children's hair, especially LHCFers. I did get the vibe that she may not have any daughters so she is taking care of her son's hair the way she would take care of a daughter as well.

Britt

That child needs a hair cut. He looks sooooooo miserable. Cut his hair and let him out to play with his friends. ETA: I'm actually mad at her for doing that boy like that. I guess she wanted a daughter. SMH. ETA Again: Where is this boy's father? Mom needs to be reigned in.

I just clicked on this vid, fast forwarded and clicked off. My opinion on this is far fr PC :nono:
Where is the father? She has that little boy like a damn dolly to play with. The boy's face says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LaToya28

Not cool. Yes it would be pretty on a girl. I don't like to see any boys/men with long hair, unless it's in a fro.

Britt

I didn't know boys wanted to have long hair. Are you joking? I don't mind the fact that his hair is long, I mind the fact that she is flat ironing it. :nono: And I am concerned about what his father is saying. It just seems strange. He is a beautiful little boy but this is still strange. Sorry, strange is all I can come up with. :lol:

Ironically, I always said that if I have a boy he would have to be at least 5 before I cut his hair.

No no no The hair is way too long for a boy and then it's flat ironed wtf is this!??

It's unsettling and she needs a daughter or maybe should become a hairdresser and play in a little girls head of turning her son into a weird barbie doll boy

Has she done a video on him wearing braid outs and roller sets yet? :-/

It isn't that his hair is long, it's the really strange way in which she seems to take pleasure in caring for it. It's weird.

I felt like a voyuer watching that video. And that's not a feeling one should have watching a mother care for her child's hair.

If he wants it that long, I'm OK with it. But the boy looks miserable and I get a feeling of him tolerating this situation to keep mom happy.

**Shugs** Couldn't be my boy child.

Dreads are one thing but i think it's the free flowing flat ironed hair that's throwing people off

Ok but dreads are different. Doesn't look like your dh is getting flat ironed. This video still weirds me out. The mom constantly looking into the camera & adjusting the boy's body position. IDK, its just weird.

Agreed with all of this ...

TokyoReina

Awww....I always said if I have a son I wouldn't cut his hair either. I don't see the issue. Men can have long hair and it doesn't have to be dreaded. It's so odd to me that with all the short-haired and bald women around folks have a problem with the opposite. On a little boy much less.

snoop

Has anyone considered that maybe he LIKES his hair long but HATES the thought that he's being primped on camera?

If I did that to my DH's head he'd have an even worse face than that. And he's got a business cut (i.e. short). He HATES having his picture taken and loathes being on camera.

That being said, older DS loves his near waist-length hair (bi-racial with shrinkage to his shoulders -- and looks like one of those Gap kids). But he's 3. And I think he looks cute.:grin:

jbwphoto1

I prefer longer hair on guys to fades because keeping a fade seems too high maintenance to me :lachen:. Flatironed hair is so wrong and disturbing on a guy unless the guy is being female. Then it makes sense. But you can't do something specifically feminine and try to maintain your masculinity. Nope! You're just a juicy contradiction :lol:.

On the bolded part, what's the name of the guy from the movie Good Hair that told us Vivica liked Malaysian hair? The same guy who was stylist back when he married Jackee' and people wondered why was she marrying a gay guy?

Not saying he is or isn't, but just saying.

veesweets

On the bolded part, what's the name of the guy from the movie Good Hair that told us Vivica liked Malaysian hair? The same guy who was stylist back when he married Jackee' and people wondered why was she marrying a gay guy?

Not saying he is or isn't, but just saying.

Elgin Charles?

koolkittychick

Such a shame. I didn't get any of negative vibes that other posters got from this video. The boy has lovely, well-cared for hair, and obviously he likes having it that long, otherwise he wouldn't put up with the fuss his mom makes over it.

People have their own comfort zone when it comes to what they like in men's hairstyles, and that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on this poor woman because of what you don't like or wouldn't want for your son or man. He is no less male for having long hair any more than any of you ladies would be less female for having hair that is shorter then your shoulders. Or do we want to go back to those rigid standards for feminine beauty? What's good for the gander should be good for the goose as well. :ohwell:

For the record, I think his hair is gorgeous, and I am not threatened by a man with long hair or who has longer hair than me--if anything he would be more sympathetic to the effort I put into it and we could do each other's hair. :yep:

LucSra

So by the logic going on in this thread, if a boy having long hair past his shoulders is feminine, then ya'll who have hair above your shoulders are masculine.

Hm, okay. :look:

ckisland

^A lot of people don't think women are as attractive with short hair, and most wouldn't call short hair feminine. Black women are the only one's I've seen in mass who wear their hair short. For most groups of people, short hair is masculine and if a female can "pull it off" then it shows that she is naturally more attractive than average. A lot of pixie cuts on non-black women are described as "boyish" :look:.

There are different issues that people have with this video. One is a boy having hair that long, another is his mom straightening his long hair.

I don't have an issue with guys having long hair or girls having short hair. But a guy with flatironed hair is a giant leap onto the fem side for most people.

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

Why the paragraphs? :lol: Taint that serious. I can think it's weird, you can think it's normal. It doesn't matter either way cause it's her kid. Why so serious?

Fab_Nikki

His hair is beautiful. But I wouldn't be flat ironing my son's hair. Wash, condition, blow dry (if necessary, I would airdry), braid and that would be enough for me. She complained of the process yet she added the blowdry and flatiron JUST for. a length check.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i loooooove men with long hair. i finally got my SO to grow his hair out. he looks so cute!:love: nothing sexier than a man with a thick bun or a chunky fro.:lick:

as for the video, um, no. negative ghost rider.:nono: his hair is gorgeous but that is too much. i could see myself letting my son grow his hair long but i have to draw the line at flat ironing and doing length checks.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
So when you see a black man with braids do you ask if he is biracial before you decide if you like his braids

or do you play spot the biracial when your out in public first

I know i know its that Hawaiian Silky stuff that you can just tell belongs to a biracial guy cause only biracial men have that GOOD HAIR RIGHT the rest should be dreads i know
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
its an ignorant statement no matter how you try to spin it and its just sad

idk if this has been addressed yet but i dont think she was saying she only likes it on biracial men (if so, i still wouldnt see the problem) but i think she was saying black OR black biracial men.

NaturallyATLPCH

My goodness, the time involved! She's way better than me because I'd put some clippers on that head! He has gorgeous hair though.

sparkle25

So when you see a black man with braids do you ask if he is biracial before you decide if you like his braids

or do you play spot the biracial when your out in public first

I know i know its that Hawaiian Silky stuff that you can just tell belongs to a biracial guy cause only biracial men have that GOOD HAIR RIGHT the rest should be dreads i know
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
its an ignorant statement no matter how you try to spin it and its just sad

Now I think you're sad because you clearly cannot comprehend what you read. You just totally made something up that I never even said. I'm not going to explain to you what was actually written because its very clear, and ain't nobody got time for that.

sparkle25

idk if this has been addressed yet but i dont think she was saying she only likes it on biracial men (if so, i still wouldnt see the problem) but i think she was saying black OR black biracial men.

Yes that is exactly what I was saying. Thanks you

Last edited:

danniegirl

Now I think you're sad because you clearly cannot comprehend what you read. You just totally made something up that I never even said. I'm not going to explain to you what was actually written because its very clear, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Your right I apoligize I clearly misread your post even after I quoted you I really thought you were saying its only nice on black biracial men. Once again I do apoliqize

ckisland

I was going to comment on this, and I'm glad you did. I was so confused when I read that response, like I don't think the poster saw that OR in there :look:.

sparkle25

Your right I apoligize I clearly misread your post even after I quoted you I really thought you were saying its only nice on black biracial men. Once again I do apoliqize

I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have got an attitude, I should have simply just said you mis-read me.

All good now :)

BEAUTYU2U

I would comment on this topic but the way my mouth is set up.....

.... it's got a checking and a savings. Sometimes, my mouth writes checks, my bum can't cash.

:lachen:

Sorry, that's not directed at you. It's just the thought I automatically had. Darn that Kevin Hart.