Wash N Go Challenge-Summer 2013

*Frisky*

I am in a challenge mood so I think this would be a good one:grin:

The first day of Summer is Friday, June 21st and the last day is September 21st. I think I can commit myself to something hair related for 3 months hahahaha

These are my initial thoughts on the rules which aren't many. Let me know if we should change or tweak them in any way.

1. Must Wash and Go at least 2 times a week. Meaning, water should hit your head at least 3 times a week so the wash and go will be fresh so to speak. I normally get lazy and go for multiple day hair which I should still be able to do working with the 3 day minimum.

2. Pictures!!!! hahahaha..I want to see your results from the various products you might use. Right now my objective is finding something to mix with my favorite gel that will soften up my wash and go but still leave me with the same definition.

3. Share new products and/or techniques that you are doing. You can post a starting picture for length check if you would like but since this really isn't a length challenge, it's not required but is certainly welcomed.

Let me know if you are in by thanking my post:grin:

I will post my first pic probably on Friday no later than Saturday. In the meantime, please post what products you are using and what gives you the best results!

ETA: I changed the requirement to at least 2 times a week:wink2:

Last edited:

BraunSugar

I'm in it!

I will post a pic sometime today.

Products: I am using Proclaim Activator Gel, Grapeseed oil, & coconut oil. The oils are used to seal before applying my gel. I typically use grapeseed oil, but I have a huge container of EVCO from Costco and I want to start using some of it.

As far as application goes, I use the smooth and rake method.

I air dry for an hour or so and finish up with my blow dryer.

If I can think of anything else, I will update later!

TraciChanel

I'm in too! I was just researching wash and go's this morning to try for the summer. I'm new to WNG's so I'll be perfecting my methods. Will post pictures within a day or so.

*Frisky*

I'm in it!

I will post a pic sometime today.

Products: I am using Proclaim Activator Gel, Grapeseed oil, & coconut oil. The oils are used to seal before applying my gel. I typically use grapeseed oil, but I have a huge container of EVCO from Costco and I want to start using some of it.

As far as application goes, I use the smooth and rake method.

I air dry for an hour or so and finish up with my blow dryer.

If I can think of anything else, I will update later!

Cool!

Do you switch up your products depending on the season? I know alot of folks avoid products that have heavy glycerin when it's cold or too hot and humid.

BraunSugar

Cool!

Do you switch up your products depending on the season? I know alot of folks avoid products that have heavy glycerin when it's cold or too hot and humid.

The only time I switch up products is if I just feel like trying something new. Gels w/glycerin don't really affect how my hair turns out or if it stays moisturized. I think that has to do with me sealing before I apply the gel, but I'm not really sure.

My main gels were either flaxseed gel or EcoStyler. I don't do the flaxseed as much because I am too lazy to make it and I hate that I have to refrigerate it. EcoStyler always made my hair extremely crunchy, but I thought it was a price I had to pay for multiday hair. Ever since I tried the curl activator gel, my hair has been looking and feeling better than ever, even with glycerin high on the ingredient list.

Seamonster

I want to chat and post about wash n gos. I wash my hair with tea 3 times per week. But I do a wash n go twice a week. Drum roll, I only wear my hair down once a couple of days per week, So let me know if I can participate?

Shadiyah

i can't post pic but I use mixed chicks, shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie with the milk and now I am using curls creme brule and loving it. I wash n go everyday but if not every other day.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Can I start this challenge next week? I'm taking a break from wash n gos (did them for 2 months straight so far). Right now, I'm wearing a twistout. This weekend, I'm going to a wedding and would like to wear my hair in a twistout style too. :grin:

I'll wash my hair June 24th. Right now, I have Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner, which is almost all gone. I want to try a different conditioner once it runs out. For moisture, I'll be using my beloved Long Aid Activator Gel; and if I want hold, I'll use EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel on top of that.

ecadnacmc

I want to join badly but I can't get my wash n' Go's to look right. One day ok to good, other days a hot shrunken mess. I think my multiple hair types are killing me. I think I'm a loose 3c on crown, 4a back, 4a/4b sides, front no curl at all. Not really sure because I think swimming daily to every other day changed my hair texture.

discodumpling

Awww thanks for the tag luv! I'll be doing lots of wash and goes but after wearing my hair in one for a week I've learned some thangs bout myself :) My scalp needs to breathe. I have an uncontrollable urge to feel the wind and air on my scalp soooo my summer wash and goes will alternate with my pussy bubbies aka bantu knots. While I appreciate the moistness of my hair when I wash and go I'm not a fan of hot and moist/humidity all up on my head for the couple of hrs my hair takes to dry.

If I produce a good result i'll share!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ill join.
i have been wash n going daily.

Right now the products i am using to cowash is either abba creme masque, puritan pride thickener conditioner or renpure brazillian keratin. I am just trying to finish these up so i can be consistent with my co wash conditioner.

I currently am loving novex argain oilor kismera energizing leave in for my wash n goes but i will be trying new creamy leave ins. I want to save the kismera for when i have longer hair and i only have 1 application left. i am thinking of trying nunaat karite combing creme or sedal leave ins(negros and anti sponge)

Lisa

I'm in! I've been doing wash N go's every day for the last 2 weeks. My plan was to continue for the summer.

I use Wen Cleansing Conditioner (fig or sweet almond mint) as a co-wash. I also use the cleansing conditioner mixed with Wen oil (fig) as a leave in and I use IC styling gel on my edges. (OK yes sometimes I use the Wen Texture Balm on my edges) :lol:

I'm picture shy but here you go!

*Frisky*

I want to chat and post about wash n gos. I wash my hair with tea 3 times per week. But I do a wash n go twice a week. Drum roll, I only wear my hair down once a couple of days per week, So let me know if I can participate?

Of course! I am in no way anal about following rules to tea when it comes to these challenges. I would like your input:yep:

*Frisky*

Can I start this challenge next week? I'm taking a break from wash n gos (did them for 2 months straight so far). Right now, I'm wearing a twistout. This weekend, I'm going to a wedding and would like to wear my hair in a twistout style too. :grin:

I'll wash my hair June 24th. Right now, I have Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner, which is almost all gone. I want to try a different conditioner once it runs out. For moisture, I'll be using my beloved Long Aid Activator Gel; and if I want hold, I'll use EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel on top of that.

Suuuurrree!! Thanks!

I want to join badly but I can't get my wash n' Go's to look right. One day ok to good, other days a hot shrunken mess. I think my multiple hair types are killing me. I think I'm a loose 3c on crown, 4a back, 4a/4b sides, front no curl at all. Not really sure because I think swimming daily to every other day changed my hair texture.

You might can get some great tips from the ladies here. You may be right about the chlorine in the water. Are you clarifying to get your hair clean? Maybe you need a good protein treatment too.

Fhrizzball

I'll join in. I've been cowashing with Tresemme Naturals and using Aussie Moist conditioner as my product of choice. I would like to add a gel in but the two I've tried(varieties of Ecostyler, and proclaim gel) left it hard and crunchy and flaky so I'm not sure which would pair up well. I stretch my hair for 2 to 3 days in banded pigtails.

*Frisky*

I'll join in. I've been cowashing with Tresemme Naturals and using Aussie Moist conditioner as my product of choice. I would like to add a gel in but the two I've tried(varieties of Ecostyler, and proclaim gel) left it hard and crunchy and flaky so I'm not sure which would pair up well. I stretch my hair for 2 to 3 days in banded pigtails.

Please post a pic if you can. I would love to see a wash and go with no gel.

ecadnacmc

*Frisky* when I first started i was using clarifying conditioners trying to follow the curly girl method but I noticed my hair was breaking and appeared weaker. I switched to shampooing with AO swimmers shampoo and following with AO swimmers conditioner which they say is the vegan form of GPB, followed by whatever moisturizing conditioner i have in my swim bag. Right after I noticed the initial breakage, I did a protein treatment with aphogee 2 step ( I did a deep DC after that). I do henna to cover greys at my temples so I'm extra careful with the protein because I don't want overload. I thinks hair is slowly normalizing but its super unpredictable. I just put it in two strand twists to give it and me a break.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
*Frisky* when I first started i was using clarifying conditioners trying to follow the curly girl method but I noticed my hair was breaking and appeared weaker. I switched to shampooing with AO swimmers shampoo and following with AO swimmers conditioner which they say is the vegan form of GPB, followed by whatever moisturizing conditioner i have in my swim bag. Right after I noticed the initial breakage, I did a protein treatment with aphogee 2 step ( I did a deep DC after that). I do henna to cover greys at my temples so I'm extra careful with the protein because I don't want overload. I thinks hair is slowly normalizing but its super unpredictable. I just put it in two strand twists to give it and me a break.

ecadnacmc - do you think it was the clarifying conditioners that caused your hair to break and become weaker? I've been using a clarifying conditioner for co-washing but don't want it to hinder my progress.

Last edited:

ecadnacmc

Poohbear No i think that the breakage was due to the fact that the clarifying conditioners were not removing all of the chlorine and the chlorine was causing the breakage.

ecadnacmc

Also I think my wash n go's look crazy because my nape and edges broke off so I have triangle shaped hair and I don't want to cut off the rest of my hair to match the shorter areas, so usually I try to stretch the broken areas to match the longer areas.

Fhrizzball

Please post a pic if you can. I would love to see a wash and go with no gel.

My wash and go this week turned into a very frizzy twistout but next time i'll be sure to take pictures. I much prefer second day hair though. I'm tempted to try Naptural85's recent stretched wash and go method although going without product is a scary concept.

BraunSugar

*Frisky* Here is a conditioner only wash & go I did at the beginning of the year using Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner:

I stopped doing conditioner only because I had to buy a lot more conditioner throughout the month since I was detangling with it AND styling with it too.

This is how my hair currently looks with the Proclaim Activator Gel:

*Frisky*

*Frisky* Here is a conditioner only wash & go I did at the beginning of the year using Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner:

I stopped doing conditioner only because I had to buy a lot more conditioner throughout the month since I was detangling with it AND styling with it too.

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Your hair color is on point.

Fhrizzball

@*Frisky* Here is a conditioner only wash & go I did at the beginning of the year using Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner:

BraunSugar
So you just use the activator gel with no product underneath? Does it give you crunchy hair or flakes? How do you preserve your hair throughout the week? Love your color.

BraunSugar

@BraunSugar
So you just use the activator gel with no product underneath? Does it give you crunchy hair or flakes? How do you preserve your hair throughout the week? Love your color.

Thank you!

I always seal my hair with oil before applying gel. No crunch or flakes, and I pineapple with a satin scarf at night.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
has anyone used combing creams? its like the perfect mix of a rinse out conditioner and a leave in. i made a topic about it but i want to see if anyone here used it either.

I just tried the sedal SOS obedient curly combing cream on a section of my hair and "obedient curls" is right on the money. i cant wait to do a wash n go with this stuff.

TraciChanel

Here is a wash and go I did yesterday (my first try).

1. I DC'd with Queen Helene cholesterol
2. detangled in shower and rinsed
3. Applied Lush Retread Hair Conditioner as my leave-in
4. Sealed w/ Shea butter
5. Applied Eco Styler w/ Argan Oil gel

So...I'm BSL and I got a lot of shrinkage. I was hoping for more length and fullness. But it's just my first try and I'll work on perfecting my method.

Last edited: