Wash 'N Go in the Fall/Winter???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wash \'N Go in the Fall/Winter???

Whether your hair is relaxed, texturized, transitioning, or natural... does anyone do wash 'n go in the winter???

Kha

Re: Wash \'N Go in the Fall/Winter???

I don't, but where I live the winters are pretty harsh.

good2uuuu

I use to year round, but Minnesota is totally different from Tennessee in the winter.

Tai

I do but I try to make sure it's at least 75% dry before I leave the house. Never caught a cold from having damp hair. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jaelin

I can't imagine ever doing it because I air dry my hair and it takes a while to dry. I am prone to getting colds in winter so I would not step outside with a damp head. I would probably try it in the summer when in TX because the temperature gets really high.

Allandra

I used to rinse my hair most mornings last fall and winter (and place it in a bun of course). /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I didn't even catch a cold. I would put on my silk scarf and on top of that, I would cover/drape my head in my winter scarf/hood.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
good2uuuu said:
I use to year round, but Minnesota is totally different from Tennessee in the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet! I live in KY which is right above TN, so it may not be a problem for me. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I used to rinse my hair most mornings last fall and winter (and place it in a bun of course). /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I didn't even catch a cold. I would put on my silk scarf and on top of that, I would cover/drape my head in my winter scarf/hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's funny you say this... I just did a big search on wash 'n go and saw an old post you made to hairlove about doing this! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, was your hair wet, damp, or dry before putting it into a bun??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

OnceUponAtime

I do a modified wash & go for winter. In the summer, I just leave my hair sopping wet, shake some of the excess water and let it dry/style it, but in the winter I use two methods:

A - I tie it into a bun with a scrunchie and wrap it in a silk scarf to absorb some of the excess water. My hair "holds" water, so I sometimes wrap a towel over the scarf to help absorb faster. When I think my hair's not dripping any longer, then I untie the scarf, let out the bun and let it dry the rest of the way on it's own, or I'll leave it in the bun and add phony pony.

OR

B - Place a satin bonnet over my hair and again a towel if necessary until I'm not dripping. I remove and let it dry the rest of the way on it's own.

I always add what ever product on my hair I'll use before I shake/wrap/let drip any excess water from my hair.

Poohbear

/images/graemlins/wave.gif Hey OnceUponATime... did you just add your album address to your signature???

I never seen your hair before! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just checked out your album and your hair is gorgeous! I love the waves! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

inthepink

Hmm...

I have been doing wash n' gos daily...putting my hair in a ponytail. I haven't had a real cold in 2 years (just allergies) but now I'm working on my second cold...had one back in October. So now that I think about it...I wonder if it's from washing and going? I've never been a daily washer in my life and I've never had more than 1 cold a year.

OnceUponAtime

Thank you for such a sweet compliment.

I recently changed my album link, but because I spend so much time on the OT board, I respond alot without my siggy. I need to update, because I managed to get a Fall growth spurt.

model_chick717

Yep!--but where I live there's no real winter, thank God. haha If I was still in Indiana--I'm sure I'd rock the sew-ins mostly during the winter months and leave the wash n'go's for the milder weather....

inthepink

Pooh - I live in the southwest. It doesn't snow here but it does get to the 30s/40s sometimes.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's funny you say this... I just did a big search on wash 'n go and saw an old post you made to hairlove about doing this! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, was your hair wet, damp, or dry before putting it into a bun??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair was wet before putting it into a bun. I did this while I was in the shower.

Ayeshia

I never get colds from wearing my hair wet during cold weather...my NP told me that that was a myth. Anyway I do wear them som,etimes...but by the time I leave my dorm my hair is damp/dry.

Poohbear

Thanks for your responses ladies! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just ordered a shower filter, so once I receive it in the mail and get it installed, I'm gonna go right ahead and do me some wash 'n gos - either down (scrunched look), in a bun, or french braid(s). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nenah

Yes I do but I put it in a bun when it's 75% dry. Good so far no colds.

inthepink

I always thought it was a myth too and until now I never made a connection between my 2 colds and doing wash n' gos. Hmm...

Valerie

I daily rinse every day, whatever the weather, but when I live the house my hair is slightly damp, plus I cover my hair with a hat.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I always thought it was a myth too and until now I never made a connection between my 2 colds and doing wash n' gos. Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember my mom always telling me not to go outside, whether winter or not, with wet hair because I could catch a cold. I guess it is similar to going outside when its cold with a wet body. Who knows!

Tai

It's a myth that going out with wet hair will cause a cold. Colds are caused by viruses. So unless you come into contact with the virus, you won't get a cold.

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Whether your hair is relaxed, texturized, transitioning, or natural... does anyone do wash 'n go in the winter???

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the last time I did a wash 'n go in the fall/winter I got a head cold and I will never do it again.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
It's a myth that going out with wet hair will cause a cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've read that if for some reason your resistance is low and you go outside with wet hair, it's possible that it could bring on a cold faster (whereas if you hadn't gone outside wet, your body may have been able to fight off whatever thing it was that caused your resistance to be low...without it turning into a full blown cold)

carameldiva

i wear my shake n go fro year round, last year was the first time and i did it with no problems- no colds or anything so i plan to do it again this year. i live in northern virginia close to washington dc.

Tai

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
It's a myth that going out with wet hair will cause a cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've read that if for some reason your resistance is low and you go outside with wet hair, it's possible that it could bring on a cold faster (whereas if you hadn't gone outside wet, your body may have been able to fight off whatever thing it was that caused your resistance to be low...without it turning into a full blown cold)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I asked my roommate, who was a Biology major, who said that one of her professors did a lecture about the way people catch colds and explained why certain myths weren't true. I still take my Airborne to be on the safe side. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FrizzMizz

I've been hairing my hair in a wash and go for the past two years all through winter and I haven't caught a cold yet. I'm getting my hair braided this winter though because I want to see if I can get some more growth without manipulation.

InsertCleverNameHere

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
good2uuuu said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet! I live in KY which is right above TN, so it may not be a problem for me. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lived in both TN and KY within the last 2 years and girl it is TOOOOOO cold to go outside with a wet head!!!! I mena we don't have freezing winters in TN but the temps in January and February are still only about 35 degrees...and in KY it was even colder than that...

Maybe good lived in Southern TN where it is warmer? It's not THAT warm in Nash though, lol.

sengschick

The Bun Master

I wash at night and go in the morning /images/graemlins/wink.gif. But sleeping on my curls makes them somewhat difficent /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif, but I live in Michigan, so I'd be sick in a hot minute otherwise!