wash 'n go ponytail method

Glamorous_chic

so, im not exactly sure how to describe this, method but i'll try.
so last week, i was in a rush and lazy and not in the mood to really do my hair, so i decided to wash my hair and then put it in a ponytail and let it dry. i did a modified version of naptural85's winter wash 'n go, where i put it in a ponytail, and then made 4 twists out the ponytail. i let it dry overnight and had a scarf on my head. the next day, i really wasn't feeling my ponytail, since i cut my bangs when i straightened my hair, so of course that hair is extra short curly, and requires bobby pins.

i decided to take it out of the ponytail, and just fluff it out. omg! i was amazed. my hair looked great, it looked like when i actually take the time out to apply product to my hair, or when i twist my entire head. i was able to wear the style from saturday until today. i've never been able to wear the same curly hairstyle more than 1 day, b/c it gets smooshed and doesn't retain its shape. when i woke up in the morning, i just sprayed my hair with water and applied some kinky kurly spiral spritz (scrunching into sections). anyways, just wanted to know if any has tried this method before. sorry no pics. but the hair turned out just like when i take the time out to section my hair and apply products or my twist 'n go but with way less time, effort, or manipulation, and the style lasted longer.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Lately I've been experimenting with wash n go's again, and I just recently tried this wash n' go ponytail method that you are speaking of in your post! I was surprised at the volume and shape I got after I took out the ponytail holder and fluffed out my hair. This method minimized shrinkage and it's so much easier than twisting or braiding your hair in order to stretch it out.

Philippians413

I've never been a fan of wash and go's because my hair goes from wet elongated shoulder length curls to shrunken, tangled, ear length -though still defined curls. I use to lose so much hair in the shower during detangling sessions afterwards, so I stopped doing them. Yesterday I tried this method after reading this post and I just have to say that this works!

Last edited:

Poohbear

^^^Yep!

Here are comparison pictures of my hair without the ponytail method and then after the ponytail method:

WITHOUT PONYTAIL METHOD

AFTER PONYTAIL METHOD

close up side view, different day than pic above...

reeko43

Sorry for the bunch of questions but how are you doing your pony tails? Toward the back, on top of the head? Are you using a scrunchie or band? Is the hair in a tight or very loose ponytail?

Poohbear

Sorry for the bunch of questions but how are you doing your pony tails? Toward the back, on top of the head? Are you using a scrunchie or band? Is the hair in a tight or very loose ponytail?
reeko43
I put my hair in a low ponytail near the nape area. My ponytail holder is tight (not super super tight where it's giving me a headache, just taut enough to hold my hair and stretch out the roots).

KurlyNinja

I didnt know there was an actual name for this. For a while now I've been putting my hair into two low pony tails after I apply product. It helps stretch my hair while keeping my curls. Also helps to prevent less tangles in my WnGs.

Whimsy

Sounds like a loose twistout, but very interesting and I cannot wait to try it in a few weeks!
SHOW SOME PICS DAMMIT!

Philippians413

I didn't do the twisting part, just the ponytail. I washed, conditioned, applied my leave-in-then shingled in eco styler. I then gathered all my hair into a low ponytail and took it out the next morning.

~~HoneyComb~~

What a coincidence this thread is. Today I washed my hair, put it in a ponytail and put about 10 twists in the ponytail. My intention was just to wear a twisted ponytail, but one day I'll see if I can get a wash n go look with it. It would be awesome because it would cut my time in half from having to twist my whole head.

Poohbear

What a coincidence this thread is. Today I washed my hair, put it in a ponytail and put about 10 twists in the ponytail. My intention was just to wear a twisted ponytail, but one day I'll see if I can get a wash n go look with it. It would be awesome because it would cut my time in half from having to twist my whole head.

You should try it ~~HoneyComb~~. I got tired of twisting or braiding my hair every night just to stretch it out. Plus, I would hate it when my twistout/braidout pattern got messed up from humidity, rain, and frizz. So now, I'm just embracing my napps!

faithVA

Naptural85 has a yt on this that might be helpful. I'm not at home where I can find it and post it. But if someone else can locate it, that would be great. Otherwise I will try to remember to post it when I get home.

Um, I was wrong. It is a wash and go video but it's not quite what you are saying. I will post it anyway. But its not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szp1DdV0Rm8&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Poohbear

Naptural85 has a yt on this that might be helpful. I'm not at home where I can find it and post it. But if someone else can locate it, that would be great. Otherwise I will try to remember to post it when I get home.

Um, I was wrong. It is a wash and go video but it's not quite what you are saying. I will post it anyway. But its not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szp1DdV0Rm8&feature=plcp

Plus Naptural85's hair started from a wash n go twistout rather than a wash n go without twisting.

faithVA

[USER=3145 said:
Poohbear[/USER];16123929]Plus Naptural85's hair started from a wash n go twistout rather than a wash n go without twisting.

I already said I was wrong. Dang! Did you really have to point it out? :lol:

Poohbear

I already said I was wrong. Dang! Did you really have to point it out? :lol:

Oh, it's no problem. I wasn't trying to make you seem wrong. :cool: I just know when I saw naptural85's Perfect Winter Wash N Go hair video a while back, I was disappointed because it was really a twistout rather than her actual curl pattern. I know she created a blog about how it's a wash and go to her but it's really a twistout. But don't worry, you did nothing wrong. ;)

faithVA

Oh, it's no problem. I wasn't trying to make you seem wrong. :cool: I just know when I saw naptural85's Perfect Winter Wash N Go hair video a while back, I was disappointed because it was really a twistout rather than her actual curl pattern. I know she created a blog about how it's a wash and go to her but it's really a twistout. But don't worry, you did nothing wrong. ;)

Poohbear, I know you weren't calling me out. Was just being silly.

And you are right, it was a twistout. As I watched it yesterday I was like
:perplexed isn't that just a twist out? I think I just remember the title was WNG.

Poohbear

Poohbear, I know you weren't calling me out. Was just being silly.

And you are right, it was a twistout. As I watched it yesterday I was like
:perplexed isn't that just a twist out? I think I just remember the title was WNG.

Oh okay. Yeah, twistouts can give our natural hair a totally different look than our natural curl/coil pattern. I know it does for me. Twistouts give me a looser wave like pattern while my natural hair shrinks up really tight to high heavens. :yep:

faithVA

Is everyone using like a goody band? or are people using other things?

I was thinking of trying it with a shoelace. When my hair is wet the goody bands still pull out my hair.