Washing Daily After Working Out

chayil0427

I've started doing 1hr of cardio each day. When I get done my hair, especially my nape is really soaked with sweat. I know i can't just go to bed on this because it will breed bacteria and dry out my hair. Yet, I'm concerned about washing EVERY day.

I was wondering how you ladies who work out vigorously handle your hair.

I mean if I gotta choose between the hair and the body I'll shave my head lol but hopefully it won't come to that.

Any tips?

Chayil

Arcadian

I just rinse my hair and scalp after my workouts. I use a very thin conditioner and make sure I don't manipulate too much.

I comb/brush every 4 days so I have to make really sure I'm not tangling my hair up (hence the need for a thin con) since I don't do much but bun most days, I don't care if its a little damp.

-A

juicy555

Theres also a water works challenge right now so I know there's a bunch of ladies co-washing, rinsing, etc everyday. Not sure where the thread link is though...

ayoung

I can't wash or CW everyday--to much manipulation for my hair--plus, I don't want to have to wear it up everyday after the wash.

I just refresh my hair and scalp with a spritz (water and a bit of condish.) and wash about every 4 days or so.

gymfreak336

ayoung1981 said:
I can't wash or CW everyday--to much manipulation for my hair--plus, I don't want to have to wear it up everyday after the wash.

I just refresh my hair and scalp with a spritz (water and a bit of condish.) and wash about every 4 days or so.

Great advice. After a hard workout, I use a shower comb and part my hair into 8 sections and make a little pin curl. Then I use a cotton swab witha mix of a little water and a little seabreeze and use it to clean my scalp. That usually helps get rid of the salt that can cause breakage and it helps control itches

hennagirl

chayil0427 said:
I've started doing 1hr of cardio each day. When I get done my hair, especially my nape is really soaked with sweat. I know i can't just go to bed on this because it will breed bacteria and dry out my hair. Yet, I'm concerned about washing EVERY day.

I was wondering how you ladies who work out vigorously handle your hair.

I mean if I gotta choose between the hair and the body I'll shave my head lol but hopefully it won't come to that.

Any tips?

Chayil

For what it is worth. I work out every day and I am a "head sweater" so my hair is usually soaked with swest. I wash every day, because I don't think water is enough to remove the sweat, I use Graham Webb shampoo and I have had no problems.

SouthernTease

ayoung1981 said:

Hmmm... Interesting... I don't get it though.
Co-washing? Too much manipulation???
It is because you're combing your hair afterwards?
Why is co-washing too much manipulation???

Oh... to answer the question...
You can co-wash after your workout
and baggy at night and then put a scarf over the baggy.
So then you get a 2 for 1.
I was co-washing/baggy-ing every night for 3 months.

Last edited:

chayil0427

hennagirl said:
For what it is worth. I work out every day and I am a "head sweater" so my hair is usually soaked with swest. I wash every day, because I don't think water is enough to remove the sweat, I use Graham Webb shampoo and I have had no problems.

How do you style your hair after washing?

SignatureBeauty

If my hair is loose then I will Co Wash but if I have it Braided up I to use the Sea Breeze to wipe my scalp and to refresh and spray a Homamde water/conditioner mix with Peppermint eo and I am good to go!! But I only workout 3 times a week LOL!!! Good enough for me!

Blackoutzangel05

I am going to start walking daily....so I am co-washing daily but I do that anyway. There is a spritz, little pricey, but its by Aveda that is specifically made for this. One of the ladies,Macherieamour, did a review on it and she likes it as well!That could be a way to go...

gymfreak336 said:
Great advice. After a hard workout, I use a shower comb and part my hair into 8 sections and make a little pin curl. Then I use a cotton swab witha mix of a little water and a little seabreeze and use it to clean my scalp. That usually helps get rid of the salt that can cause breakage and it helps control itches

I thought about doing this but wondered if the alcohol in the seabreeze would cause my hair and scalp to dry out more.???

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I am going to start walking daily....so I am co-washing daily but I do that anyway. There is a spritz, little pricey, but its by Aveda that is specifically made for this. One of the ladies,Macherieamour, did a review on it and she likes it as well!That could be a way to go...

I like you *blackout* saw that macherieamour did this with the aveda reviving mist. I think that's what it's called. Gonna try it. Gotta find it first. Then a review.

hennagirl

chayil0427 said:
How do you style your hair after washing?

Ponytail rollerset that I pin up under a silk scarf that matches my nightgown. I try to keep it looking good for DH. ;) I really only wear my hair up when it is really hot or I am working out. I like a ponytail rollerset because I think it adds body to my fine hair.

Mom23

I usually conditioner wash with Suave coconut everyday that I work out and airdry in a bun. I think this has actually been great for my hair. :)

SelfStyled

Mom23 said:
I usually conditioner wash with Suave coconut everyday that I work out and airdry in a bun. I think this has actually been great for my hair. :)

It looks likeit's been good for you hair Mom 23! You've had great progress in only 3 mos. I work out MWF. Friday night I will shampoo, DC and roller set. Mon will be a cowash and airdry in a bun on, Wed I take a warm facecloth and especially go through my hairline because that accumulates the most sweat I make sure to wipe my hair and scalp as clean as I can get it. I then moisturize my hair, put some mango butter on my ends seal with coconut oil.

Golong

I started seeing improvements in my hair for first time when I started daily workouts. I attribute it to drinking lots of water and simply sweating (releasing toxins & build up in follicles) daily washes actually helped in this case. I stopped the workouts and my hair stopped growing:perplexed . But if your not sweating and don't have extra build up then I think daily washes will remove natural oils and strip or dry out your hair.

ayoung

SouthernTease said:
Hmmm... Interesting... I don't get it though.
Co-washing? Too much manipulation???
It is because you're combing your hair afterwards?
Why is co-washing too much manipulation???

I've tried CW daily--but the combing (whether to get it back into a bun or whatever) was just too much for my fine hair. Plus--wet bunning--or bunning period--just doesn't click with my hair. And i'm not gonna rollerset daily etc...

My hair does better when washed once or twice weekly for sure. My hair likes me to keep things as simple as possible to be happy!:lol:

jtsupanova

hennagirl said:

Wear do you get the Gram webb shampoo?
I have been working out daily and co-washing every other day to daily and washing weekly. My scalp has been bothering me so I think I should wash with shampoo more. I've been trying to find a moisturizing shampoo that won't strip my hair but won't cause to much build up either.

gabulldawg

I also cowash after most of my workouts. I definitely think my hair would dry out of I washed with shampoo after every workout. Some weeks I really get to it and end up workin out like 5 times a week. Then I get too lazy to cowash after every workout. After I cowash I usually do a bantu knot set or let it airdry straight overnight and do a donut bun the next morning. Cowashes are working great for me now since I've eliminated heat. It's really actually a good deterrent for curling or flat-ironing my hair regularly since I will just end up wetting it anyway!

LaNecia

I understand totally what you mean about the soaked hair. Because I wear protective styles 98% of the time I don't have an issue with styling options.

I do my cardio first thing in the morning after weight training so I have to wear wet hair when I leave the house. On days when I'm not doing cardio, I'll do the washes the night before to let the hair air dry by morning.

The swear takes it toll on my hair (making it brittle and dry) so I've resorted to doing herbal 'washes' every other day with aritha, shikakai and amla powders. In that these are very gentle and non drying, I'm able to remove the sweat from my hair without stripping or damaging my hair from the shampoos. I follow with a 2 minute leave in of my favorite conditioner (DDTA), rinse, apply some EndAll (dayum I love this stuff!) and bun.

I used to do CO washes but my hair would be coated after a while and would need clarifying. Now, no clarifying is needed and my hair and scalp are happy.

gymfreak336

cococutie007 said:
I thought about doing this but wondered if the alcohol in the seabreeze would cause my hair and scalp to dry out more.???

Not when you dilute it. You only need a little bit of the seabreeze. The water does most of the work. Its the salt that is drying your hair and scalp out.