Water is still the enemy

frida1980

You know, being natural is great sometimes. But I realized something today. Water is still the enemy. When I sweat to much, my flat twist frizz up and look messy. When it rains, I get flyaways. It also makes it harder to detangle at the end of the week. Seems like water can wreck almost any style even if your natural.:wallbash:

lovegymnasts

Water and my hair are best friends!
Water elongates my twists.
My hair feels wonderful when it is just slightly damp.
Water keeps my hair healthy, moisturized, and on my head.
Water, conditioner, and a natural oil makes my hair a breeze to detangle.
My hair and I love water.
The only time water messes with me and my hair is if I am wearing a braid-out or twist-out but even then my hair feels amazing.
Love ya water!

Nonie

Water is my friend. When I wear twists, they look crazy until I wet them and let them drip dry. I usually say I hate WNGs and don't wear them, but that's not entirely true. When in twists WNGs-on-twists are a regular thing.

Unless my hair is straightened, water doesn't seem to affect it much. I'm in braids and I don't blowdry or press my hair before I braid it. So when I wash it, the part of the braid that contains my hair (I wear extensions) doesn't seem affected by the wash. It's like prewashed jeans: it's already shrunken so it just stays as it is.

I think water ruins a style if you create the style on straightened hair, or if you don't do the style firmly in a way that keeps the hair stretched and detangled. I'm careful to observe both these points so I LOVE water. In fact, the highlight of this hair growing journey is when I wash my hair.

MrsIQ

I'm relaxed and I love watering my hair! I got caught in a rain shower yesterday and all I could do was grin as I walked to my car. I knew my bun was taking in all that wonderful moisture!

Sianna

Water and my hair are like this son! :crossfingers: :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'll take the minor inconvenience of a ruined style over breakage and horrible dandruff any day! Since I started watering my hair regularly, it is softer, stronger and healthier than its ever been! I'm retaining all my length too!

My hair LOVES water!!

kittikat24

My styles I wear aren't straight, so sweat/rain isn't a big deal, which I'm really starting to love! What convenience!

JJamiah

The only time I want to see water near my hair is when I shampoo, condition or spritzing my braids.

Tiye

I'm relaxed and people look at me like I'm crazy because I don't need and umbrella to get to my car....

I'm not water phobic and all those jokes about black women and water never applied to me. I never cared about getting caught in the rain even when I had a relaxer. I have the hardest time keeping track of umbrellas anyway. But I'll confess today I borrowed a car to drive one mile home coz it was at least 100 degrees. I can walk a mile even if it's 100 degrees, but the point was that I didn't want to sweat out my fresh press. This is a heat training press, not a press to put on display and I'll be braiding my hair either tomorrow or Sunday but I felt like there was no point in having it revert an hour later.

frida1980

No, I've been walking in 99 degree weather and sweated out my twist. Last week, since the sweat had been causing my hair to draw up more, I ended up with horrible tangles at my roots. My detangles are never that bad. Not to mention the awful oil and dirt build up. No, I'd rather spray some like mist on my hair than deal with a sweat out. And I like my hair neat.

When I had to go swimming, I had to redo a lot of my hair. The chlorine and salt water really hurt it too. Having to DC and redo my hair at the beach wasn't fun.

More water plus twist just means more breakage for me. The only water I can tolerate is steam from the shower and rain. Everything else...

Nonie

No, I've been walking in 99 degree weather and sweated out my twist. Last week, since the sweat had been causing my hair to draw up more, I ended up with horrible tangles at my roots. My detangles are never that bad. Not to mention the awful oil and dirt build up. No, I'd rather spray some like mist on my hair than deal with a sweat out. And I like my hair neat.

Maybe you should braid the roots of your twists before you start twisting, that way the stay stretched even when you sweat.

When I had to go swimming, I had to redo a lot of my hair. The chlorine and salt water really hurt it too. Having to DC and redo my hair at the beach wasn't fun.

Erhmm...you obviously missed the class where they taught that you must not get your hair wet. :lol:

Girl, I don't mess with chlorine or salt water. I recently went swimming and this is what I did. First I wrapped my head with Saran wrap making sure I just stopped short of squeezing my brain out through my ears. Then I wore a cap on top of that. And after all these precautions, I swam with my head out of the water and never even let it get wet. :lol:

When I first went to boarding school, I went swimming w/o a swimcap and then didn't shampoo my hair. I ended up with a brush for hair and had to get it cut off, and then shaved off at the barbers coz my cut had been quite uneven and ugly. I have never forgotten how cruel that swimming pool water was. And I've been taking notes of what to coat my hair with when I go swimming, even though I will still enlist Saran wrap, a plastic cap and a swimcap to keep my hair "safe"

More water plus twist just means more breakage for me. The only water I can tolerate is steam from the shower and rain. Everything else...

I don't know how you twist but if you twirled the strands before wrapping them around each other, the hairs strands would be locked in their respective strands and not tangle those of the other strand. So wetting them would not really affect them. If you were CWing as often as I tend to do when I wear twists, and you were doing the twists as I suggest, you'd find the strands stay separated...and that water is not the enemy.

BEAUTYU2U

My hair is kinda fine so water fluffs it up and makes it big :yep: I have no beef with water. Actually, I never did when I was relaxed. I didn't understand why chicks ran from the "big bad RAIN" (lol)

CocoBunny

Check out the thread about coating hair w/Shea Butter prior to swimming. I was a bit skeptical, but tried it and liked it. No tangling, no dried ends Hair felt soft and healthy.

Maybe you should braid the roots of your twists before you start twisting, that way the stay stretched even when you sweat.

Erhmm...you obviously missed the class where they taught that you must not get your hair wet. :lol:

Girl, I don't mess with chlorine or salt water. I recently went swimming and this is what I did. First I wrapped my head with Saran wrap making sure I just stopped short of squeezing my brain out through my ears. Then I wore a cap on top of that. And after all these precautions, I swam with my head out of the water and never even let it get wet. :lol:

When I first went to boarding school, I went swimming w/o a swimcap and then didn't shampoo my hair. I ended up with a brush for hair and had to get it cut off, and then shaved off at the barbers coz my cut had been quite uneven and ugly. I have never forgotten how cruel that swimming pool water was. And I've been taking notes of what to coat my hair with when I go swimming, even though I will still enlist Saran wrap, a plastic cap and a swimcap to keep my hair "safe"

I don't know how you twist but if you twirled the strands before wrapping them around each other, the hairs strands would be locked in their respective strands and not tangle those of the other strand. So wetting them would not really affect them. If you were CWing as often as I tend to do when I wear twists, and you were doing the twists as I suggest, you'd find the strands stay separated...and that water is not the enemy.

frida1980

My hair has a mind of it's own. It does not stretch and it does not stay. I've been looking at pictures with envy wondering how in the world to you all manage to stretch the roots of your hair so well. Not even my mother (total old school braiding) could manage that. It locks well, but making it last past a week is impossible And sweat-outs make it last a matter of days. I suppose because it doesn't stretch is why it gets so matted at the roots.

It twist and locks in place, so those hair in the twist never get tangled with other twist. The problem is always the root.

Also, I don't know how putting on shea butter on already made twist would work.

newbeginnings2010

Well water is moisture, right? My hair likes water as well, but if your hair liked protein more, would your hair like water as much? I'm curious...ladies whose hair likes protein, does your hair like water, too?

OsnapCnapp!

You know, being natural is great sometimes. But I realized something today. Water is still the enemy. When I sweat to much, my flat twist frizz up and look messy. When it rains, I get flyaways. It also makes it harder to detangle at the end of the week. Seems like water can wreck almost any style even if your natural.:wallbash:

Im with u on this one. Water wrecks my hair. It makes it dry and brittle, which is why I don't do water and veggie glycerine spritz anymore. I have no clue either as to why but my hair hates the water as well....:sad:

Nonie

Check out the thread about coating hair w/Shea Butter prior to swimming. I was a bit skeptical, but tried it and liked it. No tangling, no dried ends Hair felt soft and healthy.

Oh trust me, when I say I'm taking notes, that's one of the things I noted. I'm also a true believer of serums and Vaseline so that's also on my list of things to try. I do miss swimming Crawl (it's been Butterfly so far while stretching my neck to the heavens) so trust me, I took note of that thread and knowing my crazy butt, I might mix all three sealants. :spinning:

The first time I tried heat protectants, I didn't just settle for one. I went for 3 heat prep products and I was pleased with the no smell of burning hair and complete reversion. So yes, I will dot all I's and cross all T's and then still use Saran wrap and a cap before I dunk my head in pool water. :lol:

Nonie

My hair has a mind of it's own. It does not stretch and it does not stay. I've been looking at pictures with envy wondering how in the world to you all manage to stretch the roots of your hair so well. Not even my mother (total old school braiding) could manage that. It locks well, but making it last past a week is impossible And sweat-outs make it last a matter of days. I suppose because it doesn't stretch is why it gets so matted at the roots.

It twist and locks in place, so those hair in the twist never get tangled with other twist. The problem is always the root.

Also, I don't know how putting on shea butter on already made twist would work.

Do you have a photo of your hair? Because hair that shrinks can stretch with braids. Perhaps you need to make smaller twists so you can stretch it well.

If you look at my hair out of tiny braids, almost the entire length is stretched:

And look at the braid to our left, that is out of a twist and notice how it's also stretched at the roots because it is out of a small twist:

But out of a big fat braid, the roots are as kinky as if it wasn't braided at all:

frida1980

I lost my camera cord, so I can't upload pics anymore. Let's just say that despite how small I make my twist messy roots are inevitable. I stretch as much as I can and work with my hair. Trying to make it lie flat or stretch really hurts it. So I kinda have to let it do what it wants.

Nonie

I lost my camera cord, so I can't upload pics anymore. Let's just say that despite how small I make my twist messy roots are inevitable. I stretch as much as I can and work with my hair. Trying to make it lie flat or stretch really hurts it. So I kinda have to let it do what it wants.

But have you tried plaiting the base of your twist then twisting the rest? A lot of people find that helps prevent puffy roots...and so your roots stay stretched coz braids stretch better than twists.

So you'd braid like a centimeter or so, then start twisting. Have you tried that?

Last edited:

frida1980

Yep. Still puffy. Especially around the edges. I started to flat twist around the edges. This really made it look nicer. But flat twist don't last long. Especially with sweat outs.

But you know, I'd really love to go the beach and actually swim without wearing a cap. Or go in a hot tub with friends. Or play in the waves. And then not have to spend three hours that night fixing my hair in secret. Rain is fine. Showers are cool. Sweat sucks. And pools and the sea are still kryptonite apparently. I still have to worry about my hair frizzing up and matting up when submerged in water. Still have to hold my head above water.

No water won't be my friend until I can sport my bikini and my hair on the beach without worrying about salt water in my hair.

Nonie

Yep. Still puffy. Especially around the edges. I started to flat twist around the edges. This really made it look nicer. But flat twist don't last long. Especially with sweat outs.

But you know, I'd really love to go the beach and actually swim without wearing a cap. Or go in a hot tub with friends. Or play in the waves. And then not have to spend three hours that night fixing my hair in secret. Rain is fine. Showers are cool. Sweat sucks. And pools and the sea are still kryptonite apparently. I still have to worry about my hair frizzing up and matting up when submerged in water. Still have to hold my head above water.

No water won't be my friend until I can sport my bikini and my hair on the beach without worrying about salt water in my hair.

Girl don't knock salt. While I'm too chicken to try it, there was a craze not too long ago about salt softening hair when added to conditioner. Check this out:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262757

Bublin

My hair hates water too. Can't handle air drying and if spritz with water inbetween washes my hair dries hard and very dry. I wish i knew why or how to combat it as my hair IS thirsty and needs moisture.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I feel you. I wear my wash n' go's for a week and water frizzes them up and messes up my curl definition....it's ok sometimes but i need for my hair to last 6-7 days and this seems to make it harder. I even cover my wng's when I get in the shower because the steam frizzes it up. I don't mind the water so much when I'm nearing the end of my 7 days.

Also I don't do braid or twist/outs during humid months because my hair just frizzes up awful and I hate to use gel's for those.

IrisDaVirus

I don't see water as my enemy. In fact my hair loves it. Even when my wash & go's completely frizz out it doesn't bother me one bit. That's one element of my natural hair I've long grown to accept. When my hair is at its wildest it's doing just fine and even thriving because of water.

darlingdiva

@ the first bolded: that's a great tip. I must bookmark it.

@ the second bolded: I've heard you say this so many times, but I haven't tried it yet. I have to try it, especially if it'll help with tangles.

I feel you. I wear my wash n' go's for a week and water frizzes them up and messes up my curl definition....it's ok sometimes but i need for my hair to last 6-7 days and this seems to make it harder. I even cover my wng's when I get in the shower because the steam frizzes it up. I don't mind the water so much when I'm nearing the end of my 7 days.

Also I don't do braid or twist/outs during humid months because my hair just frizzes up awful and I hate to use gel's for those.

I do twistouts during the humid months, but I make sure that I apply my trusty Sabino.