We Knew It Was Coming: Amazon Raises Prime Membership

weaveadiva

Amazon to raise Prime membership in US to $119 from $99

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-raise-prime-membership-in-us-to-119-from-99/

Amazon finance chief Brian Olsavsky said Thursday that his company will hike Prime's fee to $119 a year, from $99, on May 11. The new price will apply to existing Prime members' renewals starting June 16. Olsavsky made the comments during an earnings call with analysts. If your regular renewal is on or after June 16, you won't be allowed to prepay for another year at the currently lower rate, an Amazon spokeswoman said.

Despite those few increases, the boost to Prime's fee -- particularly above the psychologically significant $100 level -- could threaten future renewals and new Prime customers. Prime is one of the company's most important businesses, helping build loyal, repeat customers who tend to spend about twice as much with Amazon than non-Prime shoppers.

OhTall1

I just ended my 3rd or 4th trial membership. For me, the annual fee isn't worth the fact that a lot of the Prime stuff I see is more expensive than other sites, and I'm not interested in any of the other services (ex. videos, music, etc.).

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I kind of feel trapped because I have literally thousands of family pictures and videos saved to Amazon Photos that comes free with Prime membership. :lol: But honestly, I think it's worth it though. With the free shipping, Prime videos and free picture storage, and all the other perks, it's honestly a deal.

GreenEyedJen

I'll be renewing. But I need my husband to cancel his, b/c it's no sense for two people in the household to each have Prime.
Yep same here me and DH are joining up our accounts so that we pay only one fee.

You know you can authorize another adult access to your Prime, right? It's like their very own account with their own settings and stuff, but under your Prime. Y'all should've been done that. ;)

My Prime renews in February, so I've got until then to decide if I'll keep it or not. I'm going to use the time to really see if I can get the same types of benefits through other channels. Even if it's more hassle, I'm on kind of an *** the system mentality right now. :lol:

prettyinpurple

i canceled yesterday.
Yeah this might make me pull the plug too. I was fine when it went up to $100 since it seemed worth it, especially with Prime Video.

Now this increase makes me go 'eh'. I can wait a few extra days and still get free shipping on stuff. Or wait and place a larger order from Target or Walmart to get free shipping on some stuff. I order less stuff since I started a stricter budget anyways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...90efaf1f1ee_story.html?utm_term=.338e81a5ebe8
By the way, they reported doubling profits along with the price increase annoucement.