We Knew It Was Coming: Amazon Raises Prime Membership

oneastrocurlie

I find stuff cheaper on Amazon and I don't have to go get it (i.e dog food, external battery chargers, paper shopping bags). And let's face it, I procrastinate. 4-5 days is all well and dandy until the dog only has maayybee 2 days of food left and it's higher at the store. Happens all the time.

straightlovely

I kind of feel trapped because I have literally thousands of family pictures and videos saved to Amazon Photos that comes free with Prime membership. :lol: But honestly, I think it's worth it though. With the free shipping, Prime videos and free picture storage, and all the other perks, it's honestly a deal.

The unlimited photo storage is worth $119 a year alone! Plus everything else I'll still be renewing. I don't think enough people take advantage of that part of the membership.

Kimiche

I will still renew, because I order a lot from Amazon. I've saved a lot on shipping and I watch movies and some shows on Prime. At first I was ticked off when I saw the news about the price increase, :lol: but I calmed down when I realized the benefits of having the annual membership.

MsLiss

I'm still renewing. $100 a year (comes out to ~8.25/month) was really a steal for everything you're getting. Free two-day shipping, free same-day shipping, free two-hour shipping, Amazon video, Amazon music, Kindle lending library, free unlimited photo storage, etc. There's no service I don't use. I do wish they'd throw in some extra perks with that $20 though.

SuchaLady

You can do that? Do you have to buy business related items at some point along with the toilet paper?

I'll have to tell my sister about that.

Yes. This is where I get my packing and shipping supplies from.

From TurboTax:

According to the IRS, if you used it exclusively and regularly for business then yes it is deductible. It would list it as under memberships/fees.

GeorginaSparks

Yeah this might make me pull the plug too. I was fine when it went up to $100 since it seemed worth it, especially with Prime Video.

Now this increase makes me go 'eh'. I can wait a few extra days and still get free shipping on stuff. Or wait and place a larger order from Target or Walmart to get free shipping on some stuff. I order less stuff since I started a stricter budget anyways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...90efaf1f1ee_story.html?utm_term=.338e81a5ebe8
By the way, they reported doubling profits along with the price increase annoucement.
they are greedy and im not going to help them. sick of 2 day shipping items also taking longer.

brittle_hair

You know you can authorize another adult access to your Prime, right? It's like their very own account with their own settings and stuff, but under your Prime. Y'all should've been done that. ;)

My Prime renews in February, so I've got until then to decide if I'll keep it or not. I'm going to use the time to really see if I can get the same types of benefits through other channels. Even if it's more hassle, I'm on kind of an *** the system mentality right now. :lol:

We haven't done it yet because his expires in May, but yes that's exactly what we're planning to do - give him access to my prime account while using his own Amazon log-in credentials.

brg240

I don't think the price hike is bad but I object to Jeff Bezos getting more money. :naughty: the price hike will yield 2 billion but i doubt that will be distributed to the workers.

Like amazon workers don't even get a prime membership :/

I might cancel mine and split with my bro

People are speculating the price hike is bc of the cost of aquiring and creating shows for prime video. Specifically the new LOTR series.
Tbh i don't care for lotr and prime video is my least used video subscription, so pass

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I was going to ask my sister if we could share ours, but I’m just going to add my mother to my account.

Outside of shipping, I’ll probably start trying to food delivery service. I’ve been told it is pretty good. Grocery stores (even big named ones) around me still charge decent delivery fees.

As for prime video, my son watches some of the free stuff on the fire stick, so I’m kinda stuck lol.

GeorginaSparks

I was going to ask my sister if we could share ours, but I’m just going to add my mother to my account.

Outside of shipping, I’ll probably start trying to food delivery service. I’ve been told it is pretty good. Grocery stores (even big named ones) around me still charge decent delivery fees.

As for prime video, my son watches some of the free stuff on the fire stick, so I’m kinda stuck lol.
I would have kept it if Amazon Fresh wasnt an additional $15/month.

chicitygirl

Not even considering dropping it. I buy so much stuff that I'd otherwise either pay more for with shipping or waste time and gas going to the store getting, it's more than worth the price increase to keep Prime. We use the Prime video and free photo and video storage (dropbox and the like will run you $120 a year alone) so it's worth it.