We talking about Russia and Ukraine?

yamilee21

Putin might not be interested in Alaska (yet?), but he certainly has his eye on Moldova, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Georgia... Belarus may be a close ally for now, but that can always change. Armenia and Azerbaijan have already been goaded into skirmishes with each other, which will leave them both weakened. If Putin's dream of a "reunified" Russia including of all the former Soviet Republics isn't halted, other countries - Mongolia, the Eastern European countries, even Finland, are also all at risk. That will lead to serious disruptions worldwide, even in the 2/3 of the world that stays out of it. And with the wealthier countries distracted with Putin's wars, other countries with their own expansion plans will be freer to pursue them (China with Taiwan, India and Pakistan with the Jammu and Kashmir territories, for example).

vevster

Putin is not stopping at Ukraine. His goal is to restore the Russian empire, do that means a lot many more countries. And also means a fundamental shift in modern society again, this time not necessarily for good.
he will stop at nothing, even nuclear war is not a no go for him.
I don’t believe that. But we can agree to disagree.

vevster

Indeed. What I will say is that I lived in Russia for 7 years, part of that Putins regime. And I speak Russian and follow Russian politics closely and know Russian history.
Interesting! However, I’ve seen the reporting of the disarray of Russian troops in Ukraine and I don’t think they could take on the US.

Adding that why did Boris Johnson fly down to Ukraine to convince them not to negotiate w Russia when they wanted to? I don’t think if they had negotiated some sort of settlement that Alaska would be next.

I also don’t think it is a coincidence that we got out of Afghanistan when we did either.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

Interesting! However, I’ve seen the reporting of the disarray of Russian troops in Ukraine and I don’t think they could take on the US.
No one expected the Russian military to be so ill prepared but Russia’s strength was always tied to the nuclear threat Putin taunts the world with. The military’s performance in Ukraine hasn’t changed that.

ajoke

I didn’t say that the troops themselves were mighty. What they have shown in Ukraine is shockingly inadequate.
But they are being led by a deranged person who will stop at nothing, even if it means deploying nuclear weapons. He doesn’t care about sending millions of men into war to die, and with this new law, he will have an almost endless supply of people to send to their death.

The best thing we can hope for is for his own people in Russia to damn the consequences and rise up to say enough!

Black Ambrosia

Right, but a war in which all draftable citizens will be on standby? Most wars nowadays don’t mobilize all citizens when the war isn’t in their home country. So it will be total war for both sides where civilian citizens and business are required to contribute. Russian news outlets are talking about the conversion of manufacturers to building more weapons.
Honestly I can’t speak on this. Thankfully the draft has never been a real issue in my lifetime especially as a woman. Idk what the norm is for other countries when it comes to civilians. I agree that it seems extreme.

Like Putin’s other plans related to this cluster :censored: I think it’ll fail. Public sentiment will turn. There are already high profile people in Russia speaking out against the war which is unheard of. He’s kept public sentiment at bay by limiting info on casualties and losses and pushing lots of propaganda. If people who never planned to fight see firsthand how Russia instigated this war based on lies, things will get worse for Putin quickly.

It would be poetic justice if his own actions cause him to be ousted or worse when he’s been untouchable and feared for decades. It’s looking like he should’ve just sat there and ate his food.
FYI - Just read an article this morning that said the 300,000 people being drafted are either reservists or veterans.

awhyley

FYI - Just read an article this morning that said the 300,000 people being drafted are either reservists or veterans.

And they're runnin.

Associated Press
Associated Press

FollowView Profile

Russian men join exodus, fearing call-up to fight in Ukraine​

By KHALIL HAMRA and MEHMET GUZEL, Associated Press - 5h ago

ISTANBUL (AP) — Military-aged men fled Russia in droves Friday, filling planes and causing traffic jams at border crossings to avoid being rounded up to fight in Ukraine following the Kremlin's partial military mobilization.

Queues stretching for 10 kilometers (6 miles) formed on a road leading to the southern border with Georgia, according to Yandex Maps, a Russian online map service.

The lines of cars were so long at the border with Kazakhstan that some people abandoned their vehicles and proceeded on foot — just as some Ukrainians did after Russia invaded their country on Feb. 24.

Meanwhile, dozens of flights out of Russia — with tickets sold at sky-high prices — carried men to international destinations such as Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Serbia, where Russians don't need visas.

Among those who reached Turkey was a 41-year-old who landed in Istanbul with a suitcase and a backpack and plans to start a new life in Israel.

I’m against this war, and I’m not going to be a part of it. I’m not going to be a murderer. I’m not going to kill people,” said the man, who identified himself only as Yevgeny to avoid potential retribution against his family left behind in Russia.

He referred to Russian President Vladimir Putin as a “war criminal.”

Yevgeny decided to flee after Putin announced a partial military call-up on Wednesday. The total number of reservists involved could be as high as 300,000.

More here:
Link: https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/othe...A12aAQ4?cvid=c667672af2584ee3878365cbbd062fcd

charmingt

Another Russian dies from Tall Building Syndrome

YAROSLAVL, RUSSIA - NOVEMBER 12, 2016: GAZ Group general director Vadim Sorokin and Russia's president Vladimir Putin (L-R front) visit YMZ Avtodizel Yaroslavl Engine Plant of the GAZ Group, part of the Basel (Basic Element) Group. GAZ Group is Russia's major manufacturer of commercial motor vehicles. Back: Rusal president Oleg Deripaska (L) and Russia's industry and trade minister Denis Manturov (2nd R). Mikhail Metzel/TASS (Photo by Mikhail Metzel\TASS via Getty Images)

"Ha! Did you see how far he fell?"

The latest victim of Tall Building Syndrome in Russia — or as Rick Wilson calls it, Terminal Velocity Poisoning — is Anatoly Gerashchenko, the former head of the Moscow Aviation Institute, who fell from a great height in the MAI building.
Maybe whoever gave him the heave ho decided to see if an aviation executive could fly. Oops, I mean, what a terrible accident!

The organization’s press office released a statement describing the 73-year-old’s death as “the result of an accident,” adding that his untimely demise was a “a colossal loss for the MAI and the scientific and pedagogical community.”
Russian news outlet Izvestia, citing an unnamed source, reported that Gerashchenko “fell from a great height” and careened down several flights of stairs. He was reportedly pronounced dead at the scene.
A commission is reportedly being established at the institute to look into the circumstances of his bizarre death.
So, he fell from a great height and careened down several flights of stairs? Damn! What else did they do, run over him with a bus? Oops, I mean, what a bizarre accident!

Ya gotta watch out for those injuries that are incompatible with life.

Black Ambrosia

Putin ought to be concerned about his ability to protect Russia’s borders. The world now knows the military ain’t :censored: and they’re burning through crappy equipment. Not to mention the men fleeing the draft. It’ll be a nearby country with mercenaries Putin can’t pay off or oligarchs who get up the nerve to take him out before things implode. If he stopped the war today then things could be different but it’s only a matter of time if he keeps going down this path.

vevster

I'm surprised I don't see any threads about the pipeline explosion? Do the people on this thread think Putin destroyed his own pipeline?:circle: