Wearing buns, ponytails, etc. and thinning edges

northernbelle

My stylist believes that the reason my edges thinned out is because of wearing buns and ponytails, and the stress and tension of pulling/brushing my hair back to achieve these styles.

So, I have been wearing my hair in a style for the past several months. While my edges have certainly filled in, my ends have suffered.

So, my question is: How does one wear protective styles, and preserve the hair line?

I actually like wearing my hair pulled back. It keeps me from playing in it, not to mention keeps my ends soft and strong.

Is there a happy medium?

northernbelle

Allandra

I mainly wear my hair with a middle or side part. This way, my hair is kinda like pulled down then gathered in the back. However, I always make sure my bun isn't too tight.

Leslie_C

northernbelle,
I think the key is not to cake gel onto the hairline which makes it hard and prone to breakage/thinning over time. Also, u might make it a point to not pull your hair back too tight and to put extra moisturizer on your hairline.

I think that profectiv breakfree might be kind of good for the hairline too because it is a moisturizer but it is also a strengthener.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I agree with Allandra, try using a side or center part and alternate. I never brush my hair into a bun or ponytail. I smooth my hair with my hands while wet. HTH

SouthernGirl

Hi Northernbelle,

I've struggled w/the same issue on the past so I feel your pain! I wear my hair back almost everyday but it's not really a bun. I don't think it's long enough to wrap around enough times to make a bun, so what I do is take a satin or silk scrunchie (always in either black or dark brown to match my hair color) and make a ponytail but I don't let it hang. Once I pull it through the holder the second time, I only partially pull the hair out, then spray Surge or apply Salerm 21 on the ends then tuck them away.
Since scrunchies are lightweight, I don't have the problem of them pulling my hair too tightly. Then if you use satin or silk, they won't harm the hair.

Also, be surge to coat your hairline w/somthing- I use Surge and a bit of WGO. Hope that helps!

northernbelle

Re: Wearing buns, ponytails, etc. and thinning edg

Thank you, Allandra, Leslie C simplycee and SouthernGirl!

Such wonderful advice!

However, I must confess, SouthernGirl: I haven't enough hair to actually gather into a bun. I would need to wear a phony bun!
My hair is fine, and so, I would gather up and secure my hair the way in which you do.

Another item for back to school: satin scrunchies!

northernbelle

Leslie_C

northernbelle, whatcha going to school for?

northernbelle

Leslie_C, I am a schoolteacher. I teach Middle School and High School Spanish.

I will commence my ninth consecutive year in the profession, and my sixth at the school where I teach.

northernbelle

SouthernGirl

That's awesome Northernbelle that you're a school teacher. God bless you for all that patience!!

Yep, scrunchies are your best bet right now. I've done the phonies too and they always pulled my hair too tightly. Once you start using them, you'll figure out ways to play with them. I take mine out at night, spray on a little more Surge, tie on a satin scarf.

However, I must say that scrunchies and headscarves are the bane of my b/f's existence

Leslie_C

ITA with southerngirl, about the patience AND the scrunchies! lol...

northernbelle, there are ways to make your bun look full if your hair is long enough to pull it back. so1913 came up with a cool way to create a bun on shorter hair where you use 2 or 3 satin scrunchies...you would use an ouchless band to make a ponytail, then put on one or more scrunchies around the ponytail. After that you would fan your hair around the scrunchie(the scrunchie gives it fullness), then use ANOTHER scrunchie on top to secure the ends, which also makes it look fuller again. make sense? it looks like a donut bun when its done.

but the satin scrunchies are so much better on your hair, I used to use the cotton ones and my hair came out every time I took them out, it would get caught on them. plus the cotton soaks up the moisture out of your hair.

northernbelle

Thank you, Leslie_C and SouthernGirl, for the scrunchie advice and the kudos re: teaching.

As with caring for hair, teaching children is a labor of love.

northernbelle