WEAVE IT UP CHALLENGE 2013

ojemba

I also took out my install last week Friday. I got my hair braided on Thursday. I might be doing braids for a lill while bcuz I have an appt to get Senegalese on March 25 when I take put this style.

image-982020920.jpg

msbettyboop

My kcy arrived today. 16 inches in afro kinky. I'm going to seal, wash and condition and install in about 2 weeks after getting paid. Hair cost a fortune with shipping and I hope it lasts several installs. I didn't fare so well with the last hair I bought - AAMH - total waste of money!

I jut realised I have no pics with my hair down. All my hair pics are with my hair in a PS. The only pic that looks like length is below and that's a braid out on wet hair so not true length at all. :ohwell:

jbwphoto1

Thinking about joining, but have a question about wash days. Is there any effective way to dry a full weave without a hooded or cap dryer?

Queensheba88

I would love to join as I plan on wearing sew ins The rest of the year I an transitioning and plan on alternating between kinky straight hair w. Leave out and full sew ins

AvaBhair

My kcy arrived today. 16 inches in afro kinky. I'm going to seal, wash and condition and install in about 2 weeks after getting paid. Hair cost a fortune with shipping and I hope it lasts several installs.

Msbettyboop,

How is the hair, are the bundles thick, the hair pattern? did it tangle? is the hair shedding? I was going to purchase from them the light yaki but was afraid it won't have any body. your opinion will b much appreciated!!!

AvaBhair

I am signing up!! I am currently 9 months post texturizer :perplexed and this was by accident!! weird but true!!:yep:
anywhoo, I just ordered some expensive *** hair for the first time online. I am praying that this hair is worth my hard earned money and blends well I 've been like a :detective: , searching for the right hair, I tell u its like searching for a man:lachen::lachen:
The hair is due to come in a week. My hair (some natural some texturized :drunk:) I currently have in bantou knots ( i unravel them when I go out to work) I more than likely won't straighten my hair before the install, but then again I did want to clip the ends before my install, in any event, I'll just post a pic before install and after!! for the mean time I will work on a regimen draft!! Looking forward to this challenge and happy hair growth everyone!!!!:blowkiss:

msbettyboop

My kcy arrived today. 16 inches in afro kinky. I'm going to seal, wash and condition and install in about 2 weeks after getting paid. Hair cost a fortune with shipping and I hope it lasts several installs.

Msbettyboop,

How is the hair, are the bundles thick, the hair pattern? did it tangle? is the hair shedding? I was going to purchase from them the light yaki but was afraid it won't have any body. your opinion will b much appreciated!!!

AvaBhair, Sorry, I just saw this now. Odd, I never got a notice that I was mentioned in a thread. Anyway, the bundles are thick for 3.5oz I guess. It doesn't tangle at all and shedding is very minimal. I was also too lazy to seal. I'm updating the thread with pictures in a few minutes.

msbettyboop

So here are the pics. So far I love, love, love this hair. It's completely different from AAMH. It's soft and tangle free and shedding is almost non existent considering I was too lazy to seal the wefts. Every morning, I spray with Ouidad moisture lock leave in mixed with water. The curls bounce back and I throw it into a bun for the day. When I did that with AAMH, it turned into a tangled nightmare. Ok, I'll stop bashing AAMH now. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something. Anyway, I spray my hair underneath every few days with aloe vera juice mixed with tea tree oil for moisture and to alleviate the itching. I intend to cowash every weekend. Onto the pics now.

Just back from the salon here. My leave out hair is still straight.

I flat twisted the leave out hair.

Wet bun

I used only 1 pack of 16 inches and I'm still trying to make up my mind if I should add extra tracks to the middle or not from the second pack. I'm afraid it will get too big. KCY has got a customer for life I guess if they keep up the quality of their hair. :)

Ok, I have no idea how to make the pics smaller. If it's annoying, I'll delete them. Sorry.....

SkySurfer

^^ That is gorgeous hair

Still jamming in my crochet weave, coming up to a week with it now.

Last edited:

LivingDoll

Oops...wrong thread. Sorry ladies.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130427_204910.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130427_204910.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 248
  • ForumRunner_20130427_205638.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130427_205638.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 229
  • ForumRunner_20130427_205656.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130427_205656.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

JosieLynn

so excuse me in advance if i ask stupid questions but I am seriously contemplating getting a weave for the summer because i have been on a PS kick since december and it's been going great but i always get so tempted to wear my hair out in the summer. So the quicker it goes into hiding the better lol. But basically i know nothing about weaves, i had one once when i was in highschool and then just never did them again. So would anyone kindly breakdown the basics I need to know before investing money in hair and trying all this out? :drowning: I need help for real!! lol

loulou82

JosieLynn,

One thing to decide early is what type of hair you want to get. This will depend on how much maintenance you are willing to put in to the up keep of your leave out (if you have any). I'm natural 4a/b and prefer to have my horseshoe left out so I try to get weave that will blend with my natural hair (kinky straight if I'm willing to blow out and flat iron my leave-out or a kinky curly weave to better blend with my coils). There is also the option of using a closure which is a 3x4 inch weave piece glued or preferably sew-in to the front of your hair that will allow you to leave no hair out but have a believable part. Closures can be tricky to master so make sure the stylist has experience applying them.

Questions to ask/ Things to Consider:

1. Full head (no hair left out), full weave (perimeter and/ or horse shoe left out) or partial (tracks alternating with own hair left out)?
2. Type/ texture of hair to use? (lite/ italian yaki, coarse yaki, kinky straight, kinky curly/ afro curly). These options are chemical or steamed processed to look like various AA textures. There's virgin hair too (unprocessed).
3. How to find and research vendors (try Black Hair Media and You tube for recommendations but beware that some people are paid or sponsored to give favorable reviews)
4. BSS vs. Online (including Chinese vendors)- Can you wait for hair to ship? Processing times vary widely by vendor.
5. Price point: Hair can get expensive- you have to decide what your price point will be. BSS will have basic yaki at a reasonable price but may not last beyond one install because of matting, shedding, and tangling. But expensive hair is not immune from issues either. Some BSS hair can be just as expensive as buying online. I say invest in quality (human, cuticle aligned, strong wefts, known for minimal shedding, re-usable) so that you will get several installs out of.
6. Who to install? You can't trust just anyone's skills. The final product may be bomb but if not properly installed, your real hair will suffer (from incorrect wash, condition, or blow dry, to cornrows done to tightly, to thread sewn to tightly).
7. Several hair companies that are fairly known include: Bobbi Boss (BSS hair), Senghori Shells, Extensions Plus, ONYC hair, Jace Beauty, All About My Hair (AAMH), KinkyCurlyYaki (KCY), Sassy Mitchell, and HallysCurls. Alibaba and AliExpress is like an online marketplace for purchasing directly from vendors- choose wisely when by directly from China. Some stylists actually sell and use their own hair (purchased from a private vendor). You can ask your stylist for recommendations also.
8. How will you maintain it? (moisturizing, washing, and conditioning your hair and the weave regularly, proper take-down, re-installing at 8-12 weeks).

Keep us posted on your decision. :yep:

Last edited:

Postal

Dumb Question: What's the rule with challenges? I've never joined one before. Can I still join? Just got weaved up a week ago and thought, I might just keep doing this for a year lol

JosieLynn

loulou82 So i've decided to do a full head, i'm debating whether to put the hair into a homemade u-part wig with a closure but the texture of hair I bought was peruvian body wave, so i'm hoping to get a lot of flexi rod sets and bantu knot outs to work, really trying to eliminate any kind of heat, on my hair or otherwise. I bought it off Aliexpress and it should be here today.

I think I did a decent job on price, bought 4 bundles each a diff length from 12"-18" for 150-ish i think. Also i'm a DIY'er, i'm still in school so buying the hair was an investment in itself, I do not have the funds to have someone else install it. I'm very meticulous whenever I start on a new endeavor so I'm pretty sure with all the research and youtubing I'll be able to get it right. My thought behind making a u-part with a elastic band closure is so that I can take it off every 2 weeks to wash my hair, while moisturizing every other day, my hair when it's totally out is not super thirsty so i'm thinking with it being hidden it shouldn't get too dry.

So I'm still in decision-making but i've at least bought the hair. Just trying to weigh my options, because I live a busy lifestyle and would like to take a break from daily styling but I also workout everyday so I know I would still like to have access to my hair so I could rinse the sweat off or co-wash if necessary.

Anticipatience08

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and will be following along unofficially since I'm a bit late to the game LOL

Currently grazing APL in the back, but the front of my hair is a bit shorter #hateit. I got my current install a few weeks ago, but will be getting it redone this month.

dede1129

I will be weaving it up for a year to give my hair a break, I just got my last install 3 weeks ago!

camilla

dede1129 I do but not as often like every four months if I know I will be putting in another install I will just relax the leave out but leave it in for 10 min or if I am in a full install maybe 6 months or so I have a yt channel that shows in detail if you have any questions or video suggestions just post it on my vid or at me I have self install vids up I am always weaved up just posted my length check I am between bsl and waist

Last edited:

loulou82

JosieLynn

I like the idea of a u part wig with a closure. I'm going that route next year after I finish up with my sew ins.

Did your hair come in? Have you made the wig yet?

Looking to jump in to weaving... Leaning strongly toward Sassy Mitchell . My hair is natural 3c . I'm struggling to figure out which is best for blending Brazilian or Eurasian? Thanks Fam

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Hi guys, I'm moving from wigs to weaves as a main PS. I'll be joining for the second half of the year. I plan on leaving mine in for 4 months at a time (I'm a slow grower) and cowashing often for moisture since I plan on using kinky curly weaves. This time around I'm using braids on my edges but for future installs I'm leaving my edges out in the entire perimeter since I don't want to mess up my edges

ChannieBoo3

Joining this thread .. Currently doing sew-ins , I hot my fifth sew-in of the year yesterday . Hard for me to keep my hair in weaves but determined to retain growth so I'm aiming for AT LEAST 5 weeks before I get a relaxer . I'm 5 weeks post as of now .