Weave It Up Challenge 2017 (6 Month Edition)

ms.blue

So I tried coloring my extensions today. I don't think the color took at all. I'll have to wait until the curls are totally dry to see the true results but so far it looks as black as ever. I used this dye (the one in the middle):
Did you pre lighten (bleach) the extensions before coloring?

Pygmy_puff

Did you pre lighten (bleach) the extensions before coloring?

No I didn't :( I thought about it, but I fell for the picture on the side of the box that shows it is supposed to turn dark brown hair an almost blonde color :cry3:

I might try again this afternoon with beach this time... depends how lazy I feel today

ms.blue

No I didn't :( I thought about it, but I fell for the picture on the side of the box that shows it is supposed to turn dark brown hair an almost blonde color :cry3:

I might try again this afternoon with beach this time... depends how lazy I feel today
Don't fall for the pics on the side. Since you have already bleached the hair, try to do a test strip before bleaching the rest. Good luck (I hate bleaching hair).

Pygmy_puff

Ok so after my hair dried I realized that the front of the sew in had shifted way too far back on my forehead to look reasonable so I just took it out. Goodbye curly weave! You will be missed.

I would like to get it re-installed in a few weeks, but some sections are so matted! I'm trying to decide if I should try reviving it with my silicone coat thing or just buy some new hair (it's so cheap on AliExpress). Either way I'm going to try color on my next install.

Kiadodie

Hey guys. So my hair is pretty long and Im finally 90% natural. I want to start wearing weaves to save my hair from heat and manipulation.

Does anyone know of any good salons that does weaves and has good hair there in the DMV area?

bluenvy

Hey ladies. I been missing some action. I still haven't installed hair yet.

When I took down last install, my ends where in a tangled mess.
I believe my cousin sewn the ends with much thread.

It took me hours to take just the thread out from that section. Wasn't ripping out any hair in frustration.
And now my ends are frail.

I'm looking at it in a positive note, just babying my hair until next install.
I will now braid up and sew in my own hair.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
So I tried coloring my extensions today. I don't think the color took at all. I'll have to wait until the curls are totally dry to see the true results but so far it looks as black as ever. I used this dye (the one in the middle):
Did you lift it first with some bleach? I think that would work.

ETA: I'm all late, now you already took it out :lol:

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hey guys. So my hair is pretty long and Im finally 90% natural. I want to start wearing weaves to save my hair from heat and manipulation.

Does anyone know of any good salons that does weaves and has good hair there in the DMV area?
I don't have any recommendations but I found my favorite stylist on IG searching hashtags like #chicagoweaves #chicagoweavestylist and I'm sure you might yield similar results.

To be honest you might go through 1-2 bum stylists before finding your perfect fit :look: I went through a couple who in retrospect really weren't doing quality work, but hey I found that one in a million. Just embrace the process lol.

Oh and btw...I'm always curious. Why weave? Your hair is sooo long, I would just opt to do protective styles with my own hair.

Kiadodie

I don't have any recommendations but I found my favorite stylist on IG searching hashtags like #chicagoweaves #chicagoweavestylist and I'm sure you might yield similar results.

To be honest you might go through 1-2 bum stylists before finding your perfect fit :look: I went through a couple who in retrospect really weren't doing quality work, but hey I found that one in a million. Just embrace the process lol.

Oh and btw...I'm always curious. Why weave? Your hair is sooo long, I would just opt to do protective styles with my own hair.

Girl, its just too much too handle. My wash and go's get really frizzy too.

bluenvy

Welcome @jasmyne14
We have the same hair length.
But your ends are in way better shape than mines.

Welcome @Kiadodie
Your hair looks so healthy and you got that bling girl!
I'm up north in Boston, sorry can't help recommend in your area.

Can we get pics of any installs? I feel lost in the moment of my own hair. Plus I been in protective styles mostly all last year. Feels nice to wear my own hair out, oh and the compliments of having longer hair :blush2:

Pygmy_puff

I second this! I'm in the DMV and my stylist (whom I have only been to once) went and got her degree and is starting work in a coulple weeks! I had roommates that were in the same field that she is going into, so I know for a fact that she is going to be too exhausted to do hair once she starts working... so yeah I'm looking for a new stylist.

For what it's worth, @Kiadodie, I'll PM you her info if you are still interested. She's one of those Instagram, at-home stylists. I can't really give a great review of her skills because she did my first weave ever so I have no reference... but IMO she did a good job. I loved my install even if it was a wee bit tight at first.

Pygmy_puff

So I finally got around to DCing my hair tonight after taking out my extensions on Sunday. I didn't gain any noticeable length. I wasn't expecting much anyway since my hair grows about 1/4 inch per month. I hope to start seeing obvious results after a few installs.

I noticed that my hair was HELLA dry when I took the hair out. I hadn't seen my hair this dry since my big chop days. I conditioned it (regular rinse out and leave in) twice and it just was not getting hydrated. So I DC'ed tonight and I think it's on it's way back to a full recovery. It's amazing how different my hair is when I don't DC often enough!

Pygmy_puff

Ok last post for now and I promise I'll stop blowing up this thread haha.

Has anyone tried Wagman's spiral curl or natural Indian curly hair? Or Extensions Plus everyday kinky? I'm researching my hair options. :yay:

Kiadodie

I second this! I'm in the DMV and my stylist (whom I have only been to once) went and got her degree and is starting work in a coulple weeks! I had roommates that were in the same field that she is going into, so I know for a fact that she is going to be too exhausted to do hair once she starts working... so yeah I'm looking for a new stylist.

For what it's worth, @Kiadodie, I'll PM you her info if you are still interested. She's one of those Instagram, at-home stylists. I can't really give a great review of her skills because she did my first weave ever so I have no reference... but IMO she did a good job. I loved my install even if it was a wee bit tight at first.

@Pygmy_puff thank you so much. I actually found this girl on Yelp. She has great reviews and I had a consultation with her last week. I made my appt. in less than 2 weeks. She suggested a little of my hair should be out to blend in with the hair. I agreed. Ill post pics when I get it done. Here is today after I washed it and then after I got it flat ironed.

Pygmy_puff

@Pygmy_puff thank you so much. I actually found this girl on Yelp. She has great reviews and I had a consultation with her last week. I made my appt. in less than 2 weeks. She suggested a little of my hair should be out to blend in with the hair. I agreed. Ill post pics when I get it done. Here is today after I washed it and then after I got it flat ironed.

Yay I'm so glad you found someone you like! I can't wait to see your results! Please come back and let us know how it goes :)

What kind of hair are you using? What installation method (flip over, etc.)?

PS: Your pictures aren't showing up for me... :(

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Add me to the challenge. I'm using a lace front instead of tracks. I sew it on and take it off once a month to thoroughly shampoo/condition my hair and sew it back up. I'm doing this indefinitely. I'm trying to grow out my twa and need to keep it hidden. It's at that awkward stage.

Pygmy_puff

So I ordered some new KC hair from Queen Weave Beauty today. Their hair is supposed to be 100% virgin. We'll see if it matts the same way the Yvonne KC hair did.

I think I'll make a u-part wig with it and sew it down myself. I'm trying to save some coin on the install. Also, I'm hoping the hair will last longer if I can take it off to wash my hair. The Yvonne hair got worse the more I washed it.

Pygmy_puff

Girl, it's just too easy!! I have 3 kids running around here. Time is of the essence. I need something quick. I sew 1 halo all the way around and done!! One quick snip and it'll come right out!

@topnotch1010 where did you get your LF? Did you make it yourself? I'm studying at the school of YouTube right now trying to learn how to make a good wig. Do you cornrow your hair and then sew it to the cornrows?

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
@topnotch1010 where did you get your LF? Did you make it yourself? I'm studying at the school of YouTube right now trying to learn how to make a good wig. Do you cornrow your hair and then sew it to the cornrows?

I got it at the local BSS. This is my first one so I didn't feel comfortable ordering online just yet. It's a full lace 14" body wave remy. I cornrow my hair into a beehive and sew on the second ring from the bottom. YT has excellent tutorials!! I've learned a lot from those gurus!!

ThatJerseyGirl

You know what? I should join. I just had my weave installed a month ago. Let me answer these questions.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): I have kept my weave in for three months with no problem.

Why are you wearing sew-ins: Because it is extremely hot and humid where I live and I refuse to spend so much time on my hair when I can spend time at the beach!

Regimen: I wash every two weeks and make sure I condition the hair and rinse very well.

Weave style/install hair: Extensions Plus Zig Zag Curly with the closure. All of my hair is weaved up!

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: I use the Hydratherma Naturals Follicle leave in spray on my scalp only. I use Nu Gro oil on my edges. I have full edges and I'd like to keep it that way.

End of challenge goal: Not sure. I am mid back length now. All healthy. I've had a good trim before my install so no worries there. I plan to wear it for at least two years because I just don't feel like doing my hair. It's too thick and too much work for me at this time.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past) Always invest in good hair. Extensions Plus hair is not cheap, but I invested well and have been a customer of EP for YEARS!

I will eventually post a pic later.

If I have missed anything, let me know.

My apologies for not responding in this thread for a while. Life circumstances...

Anywho, I am still doing well with three inches of new growth so far. It is time to re-do my install. I am on the books for my next hair appointment, so I'm excited.

I need to note that I have also been taking my Bamboo hair growth vitamins. Can't think of the name, but it is on this site. I have been taking them consistently since I have been wearing my install, which would probably explain the three inches+ of new growth in conjunction with the Hydratherma Naturals Follicle spray and that Xcel 21 Revitalizing spray in addition to the oil. Love this combo, as it has worked for me. I'm going to keep this up and continue to wear my install until late next year. I just don't want to be bothered with my natural hair right now. I'd like my time to be my own and not dedicated to washing, conditioning and twisting my own hair. It's too much and I stay on the go with traveling too much now.

I forgot to mention that I have their closure piece as well. Love it!

bluenvy

@ThatJerseyGirl
You are doing a great job, three inches of new growth my goodness.

Meanwhile I'm hiding under a rock, in my natural hair state, wng, braidouts whatnot.

Attending parties I haven't seen ppl in a while, so I gotta show my stuff off.

Don't mind me y'all, I got it bad when it comes to my hair :cantlook:

But I been dreaming of my next install, definitely this coming month.

ThatJerseyGirl

@ThatJerseyGirl
You are doing a great job, three inches of new growth my goodness.

Meanwhile I'm hiding under a rock, in my natural hair state, wng, braidouts whatnot.

Attending parties I haven't seen ppl in a while, so I gotta show my stuff off.

Don't mind me y'all, I got it bad when it comes to my hair :cantlook:

But I been dreaming of my next install, definitely this coming month.

HI Blue! Yes chile...three whole inches +! I just took my Beautifully Bamboo Hair Skin & Nails vits this morning. My appt. is this Friday. They will uninstall, wash, deep condition and reinstall the same hair. They'll of course wash the hair, dry and reinstall. I love E P hair and have been using it for years (the company).

Also, it's very hot and humid here, so I think with the moisture in the air, oiling my scalp, washing and leaving it alone along with my vitamin regimine gave me that boost of growth. It grew out so much, that my closure is sitting back some. That joint sittin back like a receding hair line....chile....not da bidness lololol!!