Weave It Up Challenge 2017 (6 Month Edition)

Pygmy_puff

Hello again ladies!
Ever since I took out my extensions a few weeks ago, my hair has been much frizzier than normal. I have DC'd with heat at least three times since but it's still so poofy! I used L'Oréal total 5 repair and tresseme totally smooth DCs. I tried slathering my damp hair with oil and that didn't really do much but make my hair oily and frizzy. Even my CRN curlmaker has failed to give me defined coils. Has this happened to anyone else?

@bluenvy I wanted to try that Darcy's botanicals conditioner you recommended a while back but now they're sold out! :( I should have bought it back when I had the chance! I'll have to watch their website like a hawk until they restock. :)

Last edited:

Kiadodie

So I got my first weave put in. I got Indian hair and it blends well with my own hair. I left of some hair in the front and a little in the back. One friend didn't even know it was a weave, she thought it was my hair. Thing is though its day 2 and my scalp is still sore/hurting :(. I put some Jojoba oil on my scalp and that helped a little. Do the braids ever loosen up and if so how long does it take???

ThatJerseyGirl

So I got my first weave put in. I got Indian hair and it blends well with my own hair. I left of some hair in the front and a little in the back. One friend didn't even know it was a weave, she thought it was my hair. Thing is though its day 2 and my scalp is still sore/hurting :(. I put some Jojoba oil on my scalp and that helped a little. Do the braids ever loosen up and if so how long does it take???

Good for you! Congrats. It shouldn't take long at all. Give it two weeks. I just got my weave re-done yesterday and my scalp is a little sore too.

If you take hair vits, give it a week or so. Use a growth oil if you can. I just ordered some more nu gro hair oil, the liquid kind because it does wonders for me.

Kiadodie

Good for you! Congrats. It shouldn't take long at all. Give it two weeks. I just got my weave re-done yesterday and my scalp is a little sore too.

If you take hair vits, give it a week or so. Use a growth oil if you can. I just ordered some more nu gro hair oil, the liquid kind because it does wonders for me.
Thank you @ThatJerseyGirl ! Do you give your hair a break from the weave and for how long? I heard it's not good to keep in on for long periods of time.

ThatJerseyGirl

Thank you @ThatJerseyGirl ! Do you give your hair a break from the weave and for how long? I heard it's not good to keep in on for long periods of time.

A day, if that. It just all depends. This time, I didn't. I've never experienced any breakage, etc. with having my hair done back to back. I usually keep it in for three months. I stay consistent with moisturizing and oiling my scalp while in the weaves. I have one of those color applicator bottle with the tiny hole up top for oil distribution, etc. I purchased it from Sally's.

I had to search for this thread. Let me subscribe to it.

AlexandriaKiera

I have been silently following this challenge while lurking at you ladies progress. I've had extensions from may-now. I take down this current install tonight and I have an appointment for sat to get it reinstalled.

My hair started at 14-15 inches. The goal is 17 inches by November.

bluenvy

@ThatJerseyGirl you had me cracking up at work, with that weave laying way back.
You have a lot of info on weave, spill more please :couple:

Sorry my dear @Pygmy_puff
I should've mentioned she sells on etsy too, but I see she's on a break now.

Do your hair has splits, or damage anywhere? Are you using protein treatments?

I recently found a new love.
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner, it melts my tangles and smooths my hair.
It has a cooling tingling sensation, and it's cheap.

My hair and scalp sings a slow love song when using this.
Watch out now Darcy:kick2:
I do hope she comes back soon, I have to restock.

Pygmy_puff

I don't think I have many splits.... but it's kind of hard to tell with curly hair. I do have a lot of SSKs, though.

I'm starting to think that it might be because of hard water. I may have overdone it with the protein too- I did a protein treatment before I put in my extensions.

My hair is on the mend, though. I DC'd with some Shea Moisture Manuka Honey mask and sealed my hair with Blue Magic and it is feeling much better now (though still kinda frizzy). I'm going to keep using the mask and I'll try using a chelating shampoo.

Britt

Ooooh keep us posted, where did you get the hair from and what kinda hair is it?
The braids will definetely loosen up, sometimes the fake hair really itches my scalp. Did you wash the hair before installing it? With your next wash try get a squirt bottle and put some acv and water in it and let it sit on your scalp and cleanse it and then continue with your regular wash.

ThatJerseyGirl

@ThatJerseyGirl you had me cracking up at work, with that weave laying way back.
You have a lot of info on weave, spill more please :couple:

I recently found a new love.
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner, it melts my tangles and smooths my hair.
It has a cooling tingling sensation, and it's cheap.

My hair and scalp sings a slow love song when using this.
Watch out now Darcy:kick2:
I do hope she comes back soon, I have to restock.

CHILE, that joint was sittin, ya hear me! Waaay back. You really couldn't tell because of the closure and the fact that the hair is voluminous, so I was able to camouflage it. But let a good strong wing come through....all my stuff was exposed....smh.

I know that I have been saying this for a while, but I"m going to try to post a pic of what the hair look like. I just had another weave installed and my hair was a little tight too, but it's not tight now. Only in the back is where I experienced some tightness, right by the nape.

The key is to be consistent. It works for me. Be consistent in oiling and moisturizing your scalp. Also, I don't care what kind of hair vitamins you use, make sure you take them everyday. I prefer the Beautifully Bamboo hair vitamins, the Hydratherma Hair follicle spray and the Xcel 21 spray. I use the nu gro liquid hair oil on my scalp. I use a color applicator with the tiny opening to distribute the oil throughout my scalp.

My hair loves to be left alone, so my I usually experience a ton of new growth doing this. My hair grew 3.5 inches and it's very thick. I am a natural 4a/b. I have the exact same texture as AfricanExport or whatever her name is on youtube.

bluenvy

Great advice @ThatJerseyGirl

Yea let's do it! A growth reveal at the end.
I believe I got two inches since the start of challenge. An inch a month, I'll take that.

I take prenatal vitamins, but not consistently.
When I'm done breastfeeding I will start 6000mg of collagen.

This lady with healthy, shiny, past waist length hair recommended collagen to me years ago.

So next week is my last week showing out my hair, then back into an install it goes.
Be back to post current length, and new install.

DST1913

I wasn't in this challenge but hoping that someone here can help me. I got a weave for the first time, two days ago and I hate the hair that was used. It's to silky and it holds no curl at all. It's human hair but I don't know why it doesn't hold curl. Are there any suggestions? Is this common with weave hair it's the first time I've ever gotten one so I don't know. Today I did a perm rod set it seems to be holding a little bit but I can see it dropping already. Any products I should use to make it tighter or make these curls better? I wanted to be able to curl it with a curling iron and for it to be curly all day but that doesn't seem like that will ever happen. The girl curled it in the salon and by the time I got home the curls were dropped. I curled it with a curling iron last night and slept with pin curls overnight. This morning took them out and they lasted about 10 minutes. I'm really disappointed in the weave and after all of this money I paid I just want to take it out. It could just be that I'm not knowledgeable and need to know next time what hair to get. I didn't pick the hair the girl that did it picked it.

Pygmy_puff

I wasn't in this challenge but hoping that someone here can help me. I got a weave for the first time, two days ago and I hate the hair that was used. It's to silky and it holds no curl at all. It's human hair but I don't know why it doesn't hold curl. Are there any suggestions? Is this common with weave hair it's the first time I've ever gotten one so I don't know. Today I did a perm rod set it seems to be holding a little bit but I can see it dropping already. Any products I should use to make it tighter or make these curls better? I wanted to be able to curl it with a curling iron and for it to be curly all day but that doesn't seem like that will ever happen. The girl curled it in the salon and by the time I got home the curls were dropped. I curled it with a curling iron last night and slept with pin curls overnight. This morning took them out and they lasted about 10 minutes. I'm really disappointed in the weave and after all of this money I paid I just want to take it out. It could just be that I'm not knowledgeable and need to know next time what hair to get. I didn't pick the hair the girl that did it picked it.

I'm not a weave expert, but when I was relaxed, I used to pin curl my hair immediately after curling with the curling iron I would leave the pin curls in for an hour or overnight and the curls would last the whole day even without holding spray. Maybe try that? If you do, nake sure you pin curl it right away before the curl cools off.

Pygmy_puff

Ok so regarding a fix for ratty weave: I did some research online. I found this product (thanks to our friends over at BHM) that's supposed to be some kind of weave-saving miracle. I ordered it and it came in the mail. I'll try it on my wefts after I take them out and let y'all know how it goes. It's not a treatment you can do on your weave while its attached to your head. I just wanted to share the link in case anyone else is interested in trying it in the meantime:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hair-Coat-P...FORMULA-/221978738731?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If it works, I'm hoping it will make my cheap hair last through multiple installs!

Update on this silicone treatment I posted about: it works!! I followed the instructions and it turned my matted kinky curly back to normal. It's so smooth and silky now. I was able to comb out all the knots/matting.

I'll post pics later so y'all can see the before and after.
EDIT: Pics!! Here's the before:
IMG_3243.JPG

And after:
small.JPG

Last edited:

DST1913

I'm not a weave expert, but when I was relaxed, I used to pin curl my hair immediately after curling with the curling iron I would leave the pin curls in for an hour or overnight and the curls would last the whole day even without holding spray. Maybe try that? If you do, nake sure you pin curl it right away before the curl cools off.
Thanks. I actually left the pins in for an entire day and it held several hours. I still hate this hair but that helped

Pygmy_puff

Thanks. I actually left the pins in for an entire day and it held several hours. I still hate this hair but that helped
Oh duh I just realized you said you did that already. Lol
What brand of hair did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hey ladies! I'm in a kinky curly and it's easy breezy. I simply D.C. and wash about once or twice a week and oil my scalp. I have been so boring with styling, I'm just wearing a bun or a ponytail. It blends very well though, you really can't tell once I slick my hair down with ecostyler or some edge control. I might actually wear it out tomorrow-I don't need to protective style this weave :lol:

Pygmy_puff

Results are amazing.
It looks new @Pygmy_puff
How is your hair, are your moisture levels restored?
Thank you! It really made a difference. I went ahead and made a U-part with the hair and I LOVE it!

My hair is finally re-moisturized, thank God! I figured out that it wasn't hard water because I looked it up and it turns out I don't live in a hard water area! Ha. The SM mask is really working wonders to rehydrate my hair.. But I noticed that it's still tangling at the ends a lot, so I think that means I'm due for a trim :cry3: I really don't want to cut it again because I am still trying to recover from that horrible Deva Cut, but I think that's just part of having fine-ish textured hair. I need frequent trims if I want to avoid rough ends and splits. :(

ThatJerseyGirl

I honestly don't know. I'm so not versed as this is my first weave. I trusted the girl doing it to pick. It's just too silky feeling. Needs more texture

I know this is your first weave, but the next time, pick out your own hair and know exactly what you're paying for.

She probably had you pay for the hair, meaning she probably charged you an arm and a leg, thinking you were getting good quality hair, but went to the beauty supply store and picked up some Yakki or something. It's 2017 and no one should be walking around with doll hair extensions.

I am a firm believe in investing in some good hair, if you have the finances to do so. I get my hair from Extensions plus. It's costly, but so worth it.

DST1913

I know this is your first weave, but the next time, pick out your own hair and know exactly what you're paying for.

She probably had you pay for the hair, meaning she probably charged you an arm and a leg, thinking you were getting good quality hair, but went to the beauty supply store and picked up some Yakki or something. It's 2017 and no one should be walking around with doll hair extensions.

I am a firm believe in investing in some good hair, if you have the finances to do so. I get my hair from Extensions plus. It's costly, but so worth it.
Yup exactly what happened I paid in advance for the hair. If I ever get another weave I will def be coming in here for recommendations. I don't mind paying for quality at all. My fear of ever getting a weave again are my edges. I already have fine hair and even weaker edges and I feel like the weave is making them worse. I got a full weave since Im transitioning so no hair left out.

ThatJerseyGirl

Yup exactly what happened I paid in advance for the hair. If I ever get another weave I will def be coming in here for recommendations. I don't mind paying for quality at all. My fear of ever getting a weave again are my edges. I already have fine hair and even weaker edges and I feel like the weave is making them worse. I got a full weave since Im transitioning so no hair left out.

Because I wear the zig-zag curly with a closure courtesy of www.extensionsplus.com, all of my hair is sewed in. I use their closure as well. That said, my edges are oiled every single day. I use the nu gro hair growth oil. I have never had a problem with my edges, as my hair is extremely thick, but I'd like to keep them the way that they are. Still there and in tact :).

I think your stylist got over on your regarding the hair. I would probably rock it for another month and just change it altogether. I don't know where you live, but find someone TRUSTWORTHY to install your hair. Order your own and take it with you and let them know not to cut the weft of this particular brand of hair. They should be able to sew it in by way of the folder over method as opposed to cutting the weft. This is the reason why I love the curly hair as opposed to the straight hair. I can oil it, moisturize my scalp with no problems of styling it, if I had straight hair install.

I hope that all made sense. I've been sippin on some Jack Daniels chile....

Britt

YESSSSSSSSS!
The quality of their hair is freaking amazing! I still have some relaxed texture and silky relaxed texture and both look and feel so damn good. Like silk, looks like our hair. I recently bought some cheaper hair to make a wig into a bob and I'm not crazy about the hair. I mean, it will look good for my first wig but EP hair looks and feels just like real hair. It's quality for sure, not that doll like looking shiny hair. What type of hair do you wear from them?

ThatJerseyGirl

YESSSSSSSSS!
The quality of their hair is freaking amazing! I still have some relaxed texture and silky relaxed texture and both look and feel so damn good. Like silk, looks like our hair. I recently bought some cheaper hair to make a wig into a bob and I'm not crazy about the hair. I mean, it will look good for my first wig but EP hair looks and feels just like real hair. It's quality for sure, not that doll like looking shiny hair. What type of hair do you wear from them?

I currently have their zig-zag curly with their closure. I have always worn this texture and I love it!!!! I"m a Jersey girl and love big hair, so this fits me and my personality lolol.....

I still have bundles from a few years ago that are still reusable. Sometimes, I'll buy a fresh bundle just to have, which is how I was able to accumulate so many. I will never run out of EXPlus Zig Zag Curly hair. Ever.